[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/, what's your opinion on gas stoves? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: lynx.jpg (5 MB, 3084x2056) Image search: [Google]
lynx.jpg
5 MB, 3084x2056
Hey /out/, what's your opinion on gas stoves?

I'm going /out/ in a few weeks for 3 days with some friends and would like to finally get a decent stove. We prefer gas but spirit burners are a decent compromise.

What would you guys recommend?

Last time we went camping we took an old gas stove, the cannister didnt properly fit into the stove and we ended up lighting the whole thing on fire and one of us had to get in there and kick the cannister out. Never again.
>>
I'm considering the trangia 27 but is that just a meme brand?

Is it chepaer to find pots and gas burners (not neccessarily trangia) seperately?
>>
>>719870
Get one of the many pocket rocket copies from china. I've got the one from wally world that was under $10.
>>
>>719870
Gas, stovetops are small, cheap and light, but not very stable, remote canister stoves are somewhat better. I use them for longer treks, it enables me to cook halfway safely in the porch of my tent when weather is shite. Since you always need a cartridge, gas stoves are never really light

Alcohol stoves are fun to build really light, but lake power, are hard to control (flame size) have problems in cold weather and have a much higher fire risk. I carry them for shorter trips like weekenders when I am sure that the weather is fair.
Also, Trangia is excellent, somewhat heavy (for light gear) but built like a tank.
>>
>>719899
I have one of those remote canister stoves. The thing is great and you can squeeze out all the gas by turning the canister upside down. Never let me down this thing. I've used it inside of my tent to boil water with no problems when caught on snow blizzards, altough I don't recommend this since you are literally playing with fire and you need to be absolutelly focused in what you are doing, which is hard after a long day's walk carrying 20 kg in your backpack.

Recently bought a chinese copy of the classic trangia alcohol stove (alocs is the brand). Bought it for day hikes and to melt snow away from my tent. Haven't used it yet tho.
>>
>>720535
>Bought it for day hikes and to melt snow away from my tent. Haven't used it yet tho.
won't work too well for that purpose, trangia and most other alcohol burners that use jet holes don't perform that well in cold weather. If you just need a simple snow melter, I'd recommend Hiram's fancy feast stove with the carbon wick (you'll find it in YT). The wick really helps in cold conditions.
>>
File: IMG_2593.jpg (4 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2593.jpg
4 MB, 2592x1728
>>719870
MSR Pocket rocket is the most reliable, easy to use and effective stove i have used.
>>
>>719870

I've got a trangia and I'd definitely recommend using gas for more than one person. It'll be faster, more reliable and you won't have to wait for it to warm up.
>>
>>720692
oh thanks for that recommendation m8. Will give it a try

>>720695
The thing with that configuration is that the center of gravity is so high. I remember trying to cook on rock surfaces in the mountain just like in your pic, and having a hard time trying to get that thing to stand straight, that's why I got the remote canister one, and I'm in love with it. And since you can turn upside down the canister, you get to use the whole charge of gas in the canister
>>
>>721057
what he said, I use a Kovea spider, and it makes things so much easier. plus you can use a diy 360° windshield which saves gas.
for dayhikes/overnighters i still use a trangia with an esbit potstand, just no need to bring the big stove.
>>
>>719870
i want to cuddle this big kitty
>>
File: 884738.jpg (18 KB, 440x331) Image search: [Google]
884738.jpg
18 KB, 440x331
I really want to get pic related. Great design and the aluminum is hnngg imo. Probably not the lightest but I think the benefit of burner and pot stability is worth it. Not too many reviews on it
>>
File: nope.gif (260 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
260 KB, 600x338
>>721401
>no preheater
>will not work with inversed canister
>double the price of a spider
>heavier than the spider
>>
I went camping with a Trangia but forgot the stove part. Made a hobo stove out of two beer cans, and it worked like a marvel.

Just build one of those and use it.
>>
thanks guys, think I'll go ahead and get a trangia

we're also planning on going interrailing and caping in some national parks, im assuming this thing will be good for the job too in terms of buyging gas anywhere in yuroop
>>
File: image.jpg (785 KB, 1913x2336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
785 KB, 1913x2336
>>719870
>>721389
Is that a khajiit?
>>
>>721689
Spider looks cool, didn't know about that one. Though the bipod is heavier by 16 ounces, I have no idea what a preheater is, and I personally haven't had an issue with normal stoves down to 0F which is about my cut off for camping anyway.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.