[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some great "tactical" boots that don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 16
File: 216391127_2d11f06117b5.jpg (47 KB, 560x373) Image search: [Google]
216391127_2d11f06117b5.jpg
47 KB, 560x373
What are some great "tactical" boots that don't looks "tacticool"?

I am becoming more and more interested in survival/prepping.. I would like to purchase some good outdoor boots that would be grest in a survival situation, I considered militsry boots but I like the gray man concept and would not want to draw attention to ,yself by wearing military gear.

Thanks
>>
Just get some hiking boots faggot
>>
>>719850
Forget the word "tactical", for one thing. I prefer leather boots over the synthetics. They conform to your feet better. Danner and Carolina make good boots. Red Wing still has some okay boots, but you have to pick an choose because they've really gone downhill since moving production overseas. They use crap leather on most of their models now. Look for a thick waxy leather and take care of it with periodic treatment with a waterproofing cream.
>>
>>719863

What about size? What is the benefit of a larger boot like the ones worn in the military?
>>
>>719865
The higher ankle support offered by most tacticool boots helps with stability especially when in a shooting stance. Thats my biggest gripe with a lot of hiking boots. I like at least a 6 inch boot but not for the shooting stance reason, more just because I like the extra ankle support. I trail run so I'm not prone to twisted ankles but it would really suck to fuck up your ankle deep innawoods.
>>
>>719902
Forgot to give some brand suggestions.

As stated above, Danner, (the good) Irish setters, Lowa, Solomon.

Check out some hunting boots. They generally have higher ankle support and aren't tacticool. If you're like me and don't like realtree, you can usually find some that have no camo.
>>
File: 32.jpg (55 KB, 570x389) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
55 KB, 570x389
>"tactical" boots that don't looks "tacticool"?
I smell
>>>/fa/
>>
>>719911
not OP

nah, its a valid concern. I was never in the military so I don't like wearing tacticool stuff. That being said, there are some really nice tactical brands that make good gear. Wanting stuff that matches the quality of this gear without looking tactical is a non /fa/ thing.
>>
File: lowa.png (928 KB, 868x677) Image search: [Google]
lowa.png
928 KB, 868x677
>>719903
Not OP, but also been looking at boots lately, specifically Danner, Irish Setter, and Lowa. They all have great reviews on amazon, then they have the few where people have pictures of them just falling to shit and saying they're not made like they used to be. Makes it hard to pull the trigger on a pair of nice boots that might just fall apart on you.
>>
>>719948
>a pair of nice boots that might just fall apart on you.
this is how capitalism works.
>>
>>719952
So, should I find some Russian milsurp boots constructed under the glorious communist flag?
>>
File: 255.jpg (112 KB, 640x423) Image search: [Google]
255.jpg
112 KB, 640x423
>>719963
no. get a shoe making kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN0pul1TM0o
>>
>>719977
Huh, that actually sounds kind of fun. Wouldn't be able to make anything decent in the near future, but maybe someday.
>>
>>719948
I think the same can be said for any brand. Some boots are just duds and aren't made as well as the rest. Not sure about Lowa but Irish Setter and Danner have good repair/warranty policies.
>>
Danner and cabelas often has big discounts on them
>>
>>719948
One thing to note with modern soles is that there are plasticizers in there that ensure proper elasticity. They are released when the sole is moved, i.e. shoes are being used. Now if they just stand around for a couple months or even years, the sole gets brittle and breaks. Might be one of the reasons for these inxplicable failures.
>>
>>719850
Solomon GTX or Forces
>>
so many ok options out there. what >>720197 said. Buy one into your liking, depend on what you'll have to carry, there's so many good options.
>>
>>719948
If you want the sole to last, go for something with Vibram. I have a feeling someone is going to argue against me with their personal experiences, but there's probably a reason they have their position in their area of trade.
>>
>>719963
Lolno. Soviet manufacturing is even worse than Chinese manufacturing.
>>
Why do you feel the need to describe your desire using such words as "tactical" and "military"?

A decent pair of name brand hiking boots in the 120-150 dollar price range will be extremely comfortable and durable. Many come in waterproof leather styles, high rise, etc...

What are your exact needs and price range?
>>
>>720357
>If you want the sole to last, go for something with Vibram.
Mine fell apart after just a few hikes dude.

Will never go Vibrams again.
>>
>>719850
those look like Danner Mountain Lights II
Damn good boots, Have worn out 4 pairs over the years, anything but light though.
if you're a manlet or a sissy boy, please choose again.
>>
>>720442

>just a few hikes

...You obviously got a very rare and defective pair then bro. I only recently had to retire my hiking boots which had a vibram sole, and they lasted me 4 years. That's multiple weekly 3-6 mile hikes in the spring/summer/fall, as well as a 1 month hike per year. I also usually wore them out, to work, etc. They were durable as fuck. I call bullshit.
>>
>>719911
w2c?
>>
>>720467
he's obviously being sarcastic
>>
>>720401
Seriously, "Tactical" is just a dumb buzzword used to attract airshitters and cosplaying fags. Buy a good pair of hiking boots, stay the fuck away from "tactical" shit and milsurp trash.
>>
>>720479
Only by a little bit.

I wore them on one local day hike. Wore them traveling overseas during winter for a 14 day period. I did no hiking in this trip in which they began falling apart.

Previous to this, the only time I wore them was backpacking and hiking New Zealand for 3 months.
>>
File: IS-00807-1-pdp.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
IS-00807-1-pdp.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
OP here, thanks for the replies.. As per the recommendations in the thread I am now looking at some Irish Setter Boots.

Has anyone got a pair? Are they good quality?
>>
File: M77.jpg (34 KB, 489x479) Image search: [Google]
M77.jpg
34 KB, 489x479
>>719850
buy used, keep treated
>>
File: 54.png (3 KB, 75x80) Image search: [Google]
54.png
3 KB, 75x80
>>719850
Desu, call me lazy but I love a good solid pair of boots with both a zipper down the side, but also have laces for adjustment. nothing beats unzipping a boot to cross ball sack deep creeks in the swamps of the south to get to the bank sink your toes between 8 inches of shin high muck and further traveling to a dry patch just to scrape the gunk off your feet against a cypress tree covered in poison ivy vines. Let me tell you /b/ros what. if you're not allergic at all to ivy, that shits like the swamps washcloth. gets in between the toes nicely and has a rough texture too it. especially the larger mature vines.
>>
>>720528
oh also OP. don't just buy boots online.. unless its like zappos or something where you can return for free. Just because I like a pair of boots and they fit ME. doesn't mean they will fit you, my right foot is slightly wider then my left, I have super high arches and drag the inside of my foot a lot. took me forever to find a good pair of boots, and trying on different brands across the board.
>>
File: image_89692.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image_89692.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>719865
Uh, pretty sure that "a good shooting stance" is about the last reason that troops are issued those boots.

All the bootmakers offer models of boot in different heights. Often measured in "eyes", as in a pair of "twelve eye" boots, which is twelve pairs of eyes tall. I like a tall boot because it protects my ankle in the brush. Also, dirt and bits of sticks and stuff don't fall into the top of my boot when it's way up under my pantleg or gaiter. Loggers' boots and lineman's boots are extremely tall, to protect the calf and ankle.
>>
>>720580
+1 to the boots-with-zippers bandwagon. Search for lace-in boot zippers. Firefighters use them all the time. They are the actual shit. Can be hard to find ones that fit your boots, due to different eye counts and eyelet spacing. Better to find boots that have zippers offered specifically for them.
>>
File: F1.jpg (42 KB, 600x804) Image search: [Google]
F1.jpg
42 KB, 600x804
18 hole cherry Docs are the only acceptable answer.
>>
File: Bean-Boots.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Bean-Boots.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
Bean boots... Or meme boots??!?!

What do you think, /out/?
>>
>>719865
One age old military trick is to wear boots a half size to large, the toe can be stuffed with extra insulation/newspaper to protect the toes in extremely cold weather.
>>
>>720651
Wouldn't call them meme boots but the soles have shit traction
>>
File: riddlemethis.jpg (128 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
riddlemethis.jpg
128 KB, 600x300
>>719850

So tell me OP, what does 'tactical' actually mean, in real terms? Describe to me exactly what it is that makes something 'tactical'.
>>
>>720490

Bootfiter here. Polyurethane hydrolysis, it happens to all shoes/boots that use molded PU midsoles, not just Lowa or Vibram. The PU's chemical bonds break down over time.

Counterintuitive, it gets worse the less you use your boots. If your boots sit in storage for a long period of time, the midsole is still breaking down so when you wear them next the deterioration catches up and they crumble rapidly.

The more you use them, the more flexible the PU stays and the less dramatic the deterioration will be.
>>
>>719850
These came in the post today. Imported to the uk from Oregon. Ordered on 4th March and have been itching to get hold of them since then.

Danner Mountain Pass Cedar. They look amazing, and I just took them on a short walk through a local woodland and they feel great too. Chuffed.
>>
File: BOOTS.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
BOOTS.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>720911
Forgot pic
>>
>>720634
Docs used to be some pretty good boots. Not so much any more. Same problem as Red Wings - using crappy low-quality leather that cracks and splits. They're fine for urban wear but I wouldn't take a pair of Docs /out anymore.
>>
>>720772
Breakup boots. They don't have great traction but they are a specialty footwear. For wearing in the melt season - they don't have deep tread that would otherwise retain mud and slush.
>>
>>720528
i have a set of Irish setter Elk Tracker 800g insulation

very good quality boots from what i have seen.

havent worn them for too many times since they are my deep winter boots but i have put them through some pretty shitty terrain while i was out.
but im not sure of the durability of the soles they use since ive only had them for 2 years

but they are my favourite boots, and i will get a new pair for summer/spring hikes
>>
>>720532
Are these good? I was considering them.
>>
>>721196
Wouldnt recommend them, they "work". But they're the bottom of the barrel type boots. Not very warm, not very waterproof if not treated. Make sure you have proper socks. There's a reason Norwegian conscripts/enlisted usually buy their own boots or try to get Jegerstovler, instead of the m77.

I'd show you a pic of my feet when they got fucked up using unfitted m77, but my mobile connection is shit atm.
>>
>>721063
When did redwings turn to shit? The last pair I bought was in 2013 and the leather has held up fine in daily work wear. I'm guessing the low quality thing just comes from people cheaping out and buying the lower end chinese produced ones and thinking that's the quality of their mainline US made stuff.
>>
>>721196
They're low end milsurp, they're fucking shit. Stay far away unless you're an absolute poorfag and are willing to fuck up your feet to save money.
>>
File: Feldschuhleicht_Steinkogler_p1.jpg (10 KB, 250x239) Image search: [Google]
Feldschuhleicht_Steinkogler_p1.jpg
10 KB, 250x239
>>721264
No need friend, I can imagine.
I actually have these here, which were reported to be pretty good for traditional army boots. They are very heavy and high though (despite being called "light field boots"), more so than the norwegian ones from what I saw. (I also ordered them a size too big unfortunately, so I can't really comment how they compare to my comfy meindls)
>>
File: 2881.2.jpg (614 KB, 1200x1280) Image search: [Google]
2881.2.jpg
614 KB, 1200x1280
Grade 1 German army paraboots 2005 + Jalas X2 insole. So comfortable and durable and cheap.
>>
>>721322
There are still a few models that are made with good leather but most of their line is junk. I went into a Red Wing store in the early 2000s to get a new pair (my 3rd consecutive pair of one particular model) and found that they weren't what the used to be. There were a few pairs in the store that were made with good leather but they didn't fit my criteria (available in wide, at least 8 pairs of eyes, non-steel-toe, non-insulated). Had to leave empty-handed.

I checked again about 2010 or so and it was the same. That's when I wedged my pocketbook open a little farther and started getting Danner, Carolina or Georgia boots instead.
>>
File: CA9821-400x464.png (185 KB, 400x435) Image search: [Google]
CA9821-400x464.png
185 KB, 400x435
>>721524

I had a pair of Georgia's that I liked but I didn't take care of them because I didn't know jack about leather maintenance. They held up until the sole was all but smooth. I have a great pair of Carolina's now that I payed maybe $115 for. They've held up for a solid 7 months of field work. I think they're cheaper than most Red Wings I've looked at.
>>
>>720442
Had a pair of boots with vibram soles that I wore for 7 years.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.