[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
stealth poaching wood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: IMGP4331.jpg (51 KB, 620x415) Image search: [Google]
IMGP4331.jpg
51 KB, 620x415
Dude with a lathe but no wood here. Maybe try turning some green wood and some live edge pieces for a change. But obviously, you aren't going to find such raw material at the Big Orange Retail Giant and the woodworker shops charge a pound of flesh for decent sized hardwood blanks. But I have a park/forest nearby. A deciduous, mature forest packed with red oak, sycamore, ash, maple, osage etc. Last time I came here I brought my Gransfors Bruk axe (because I need at least some reason to own it) and tried to take home some log sections but the tool proved to be totally unfit for purpose.

I need a good folding saw. It has to be big, but be able to fit in a backpack. It's gotta cut fast so I can cut down a tree, grab a piece of the midsection and dash home before park rangers notice. Any ideas?
>>
>>719637
Fuck you.
>>
>>719637
Aside from the obvious legal and moral problems you will be reminded of in posts to come...

I would use a laplander or a cable saw. Cable saw's aren't always extremely fast but they have the benefits of being extremely portable and flexible. I like them because they wrap around the wood and cut more surface area at a time.

The success with either will depend on how /fit/ you are but both are more stealthy than an axe.
>>
just got about 20 feet of fallen pacific yew today to make into some longbows
>>
File: bahco-laplander-saw-holding.jpg (140 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
bahco-laplander-saw-holding.jpg
140 KB, 490x490
>>719644
I'm not shooting California condors and white rhinos here. Piss off vegan.

>>719645
Cable saws honestly just look like a gimmick to me, and the Laplander saw you mentioned gets high marks but looks too small for anything more than limbing.
>>
>>719656
cable saw just have too much friction to cut anything over about 4-6 inches in diameter. They always get stuck
>>
Just use a chainsaw and find somebody who has a tree they need cut down. Companies usually charge $100-1,000 to cut it down. Offer to do it for free.
>>
>>719672
The reason why people pay professionals to cut down trees is because they are huge and borderline suicidal for the layperson to fell.
>>
Why don't you make yourself a bucksaw?
>>
Don't be a fuckwit.
Contact a local arborist and ask them to put some pieces aside for you. They legally remove trees for a living. You're going to fell a wild tree, removing habitat, so you can use 2% of it to turn a bowl.
>>
>>719759

This.

I was in a similar predicament so I called the local council and they told me they would be removing some trees from a nearby park. Went there a few days later and the council guys gave me as much wood as I could take. Saves them having to chip it / cart it away themselves.

Don't be a douche, anon.
>>
>>719697
The only reason you'd want a professional is if it risks falling on your house. As you'd want someone with insurance. It's damn easy to control where the tree will fall.
>>
I'm also into woodcarving and I sneak limbs of ash and white oak from a nearby national park all the time, so I'm not gonna cast the first stone. But a whole tree? C'mon man (unless you're gonna use the whole thing). It's the easiest thing in the world to phone an arborist -- plus sometimes they fell trees you won't find in nature, like apple or cherry.
I harvested a bunch of apple after a big windstorm knocked down one of my neighbor's trees.
>>
>>719637
Go to the public land after a big storm and cut new windfall trees. Either that or go driving around rich neighborhoods looking for rescently cut trees. It's the time of year people normally hire the mexicants to trim trees.
>>
Just look up tree trimming / removal companies in your area. Those guys cut down unwanted trees all day long and always have lots of logs, limbs, and wood chips that they have to haul off somewhere.
>>
Typical conservative woodworker.
Why are there so many of you?
The place you want to hang out is woodnet.net with all the other assholes
youre welcome
>>
>>719637
I hope the tree falls on you and you die

Dick
>>
>>719656
I'll be honest I bought a Laplander on pure Ray Mears shills about 8 years ago.

In all honesty it's still going strong, but from reading up a lot of people say the Jap Silky saws are superior when cutting, don't know how they measure up on life span though
>>
>>719782
>>719759
Much this. I have no experience in the matter, but the whole situation sounds a lot safer and a lot more legal.
>>
>>719637
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/passes-permits/forestproducts/?cid=fsbdev7_002688

Bam! $20.00 and you can go nuts and use a real saw.
>>
>>719637
How bout you fuck off
>>
http://youtu.be/A_JPcBwYGmo
>/out/
>>
>>720175
>this rock that has the most incredible life
[citation really necessary here]
>>
>>720175
What the actual fuck is wrong with those people, damn I haven't cringed that hard in a while.

>I've looked at clear cuts and burnt forest and felt outraged, but I didn't scream and I didn't cry... And I need too!
>AAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHAHGHHGH

Fuck, if they're that concerned about it then why don't they all go get jobs, pool their money together, buy hundreds of acres of logged over forest land, and start replanting/regrowing the forest? Sitting around in the woods beating on a drum, screaming, and crying accomplishes nothing more than annoying the woodland creatures they claim to care so much about.
>>
>>719910
>stealing from the taxpayer
>conservative

Nice try, bernout scum.
>>
>>720175

>dat video name
kek

Not really though. What OP is suggesting is like fucking your neighbour's dog when you can get pussy just down the road.
>>
>>719842
Wild/farel apple trees don't exist where you live? They're everywhere here in maine.
>>
>>719637
>Last time I came here I brought my Gransfors Bruk axe (because I need at least some reason to own it) and tried to take home some log sections but the tool proved to be totally unfit for purpose.

Sharpen your axe you fucking mong god damn
>>
>>721052
>axe faggot telling a woodworker what is sharp

I hone my chisels to a level you couldn't even begin to comprehend, anon.
>>
>>721161
Then would you care to explain how your sharp axe was inadequate for chopping wood?
>>
>>720067
Silky saw is incredible. I own the pocket boy which is the smallest of the two and is up to most tasks, maybe not so much logs over 6 inches in diameter but anything else is fine.
>>
>>721197
Because the inaccurate nature of axe strikes can reduce the effective size of a blank you turn by several inches. And I found it incredibly fatiguing to use.

I'm eyeing the Silky Bigboy. It seems like the ideal tool for the job. I have a Japanese Gyokucho large saw and the very thin kerf, tooth profile, hardness, and the pull stroke, which pulls the blade straight by nature makes it the most effective hand saw I've ever used by a large margin. Looks like the Silky has a lot of the same qualities in a portable package.
>>
Bampu
>>
>>719759
>>719782

So basically when a citizen does something its "fuck you damage ecosystem litterally hitler against the forests"

Government does it its obekaybe.

Welp...
>>
>>723095

You fucking retard. The local council guys aren't exactly running into a protected forest area and cutting shit down indiscriminately so they can use 2% of the tree to carve.

They're going into a local park where non-protected trees that they planted have become overgrown and are removing them for safety reasons.

This is your argument:
>Doctor gives kid vaccine it's all ok
>Heroin user shoots up and is "literally hitler"

Call your mother and apologise for being so retarded.
>>
>>723118
>implying cutting down a single tree hurts the environment

Grow some balls faggot
>>
>>723164
A single person generally doesn't, but millions of people do.
>>
>>719895
>>721052
This, and this goddammit. Leave the trees where they stand unless nature brings them down. Noone will object to you taking a round from a windfall on the side of the road but if you're the asshole who drops a 15" oak just for one round then you can fuck yourself.
>>
>>721254
>inaccurate nature of axe strikes
Sounds like you need practice, anon. The tool is not at fault. I place axe strikes right where I want them 95% of the time, the other 5% fall an inch or so off target. If you're reducing the size of your work piece by multiple inches by missing your mark with the axe, you should just give the fucker to me; I'll give it a good home and a life full of solid use.
>>
>>723164

It's not about cutting down a single tree, it's about being enough of a cunt to do it in a protected area. If you're literally too lazy to find another tree then you're a cunt, a moron, and probably shouldn't be going /out in the first place.
>>
>>721254

>You're doing it wrong
>>
>>719637
Everyone hates poachers, even poachers hate poachers fuck you OP. Go drown in a sea of dicks.
>>
>>719637
>>721161
>>721254

Has fundamental operator problems, blames tools for lack of appropriate skills.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.