[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you explored a cave, /out/? What was your experience like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 17
Have you explored a cave, /out/? What was your experience like? inb4 mom's vagina jokes
>>
I have camped in a cave network before. It was serene, echoey, drippy and there was this constant gentle current of air.

I was able to do so because it's a private cave on private land, you can't get away with this in federally owned caves or they'd be full of hobos.

I brought a kamprite tentcot to keep me up off the damp cave floor and to shield me from occasional water droplets from the ceiling. The temp was surprisingly comfy, I didn't need my jacket most of the time.

There's often a stream running down the cave, at least during some of the year, which is handy for carrying your piss away. I shit in a big ziplock bag and packed it out with me.

One really nice thing I thought to bring were chemically self-heating cans of coffee and soup. You turn a key, chemicals mix inside and it self boils right in the can. This let me have hot food down there. Can't make a fire for obvious reasons.
>>
Silly white boy sticking your nose where you ae ill-equipped. Get attacked by a mountain lion.
>>
your moms vagina
>>
>>718897
UK caver here. Scene here is fucking great, lots of good hotspots, good community, etc.

Really fun if you get into it for sport. Lots of scrambling, climbing, SRT, swimming etc. Obviously crawling too.

Any questions other than "what's it like?"
>>
>>718911
Who the fuck carries their shit? You go outside, dig a hole, and then bury it. Carrying shit is fucking disgusting.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3260x2441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3260x2441
I've been craving for about 8 years. Getting to explore Jewel Cave outside of the touristy areas was probably the highlight of my career, that or discovering new caves in Colorado Bend State Park in Texas.
>>
>>719031
Caves are more or less closed systems and it's not like they have dirt floors most of the time. If you buried your shit it would rot inside the cave making it an unpleasant experience for everyone else and potentially damaging the cave. You aren't even supposed to pee inside them.
>>
>>719035
>You aren't even supposed to pee inside them.
i peed in ur moms cave
>>
>>718897
Is that petty John's? I've been there. I'm 6'8" so caving is kind of a pain in the ass. But its cool
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (563 KB, 1198x1704) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
563 KB, 1198x1704
>>718897
>Have you explored a cave, /out/?

Yes. It was a cave system a river ran through.

>What was your experience like?

Scary as fuck. I didn't know that was out destination. I thought we were going hiking. I was not properly prepared and everyone with us wasn't properly prepared because they are fucking idiots. This was before LED flashlights and cell phones (that location doesn't have coverage I'm sure). No one had a flashlight that would last long enough to reach the other end of the cave. I went in to a fork in the underground river and didn't go any further. That was only about 100 feet or so into the cave system. Every surface was slicker than snot. I didn't have the correct footwear and no one else had any either. The section I stopped at was where the water was deeper than a person for a long ways. My flashlight showed lots of debris and log jams.

I expressed my opinions to the group, warned them that we needed proper gear then left the way I came. A full 16 hours later they came out the other side bloody, wet, cold, with 2 broken bones at probably more than one concussion (only one was diagnosed at the emergency room.) Every one of them got extreme shits because they no one brought water and they drank the "clean mountain water". I was literally the only person that packed water and had food (jerky.) A couple others had a bottle of juice or soda, nothing else. 16 hours waiting time when you don't have the car keys is a fucking long ass time to wait by yourself. The river wasn't even more than ankle deep outside the cave so I couldn't even fish to pass the time.

I'd love to go back, but it is a 250 mile drive or further and remote as all fuck. The rare houses here and there all have solar panels on them & propane tanks, and are only used in the summer for vacationers.

>pic related from inside looking out, friends cropped out of the pic.
>>
>>719035
How big was this cave system where you couldn't get out to take a shit?
>>
File: SAM_2456.jpg (4 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2456.jpg
4 MB, 4000x3000
On the Kepler track in New Zealand, at a few thousand feet elevation there's this entrance to a cave. It was formed by lava or something, I'm not sure. You can just walk down in it, they recommend you take backup light sources. It's scary as hell; just keeps going and going and going and going down into the mountain. We probably walked a quarter mile before we got scared and turned back.
>>
File: SAM_2459.jpg (4 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2459.jpg
4 MB, 4000x3000
>>719123
interior
>>
>>719108
see
>>719049
It has a river flowing through it. Perfect bathroom.
>>
>>719023
what's it like?
>>
File: received_971627322923915.jpg (82 KB, 888x1184) Image search: [Google]
received_971627322923915.jpg
82 KB, 888x1184
Have started going down Box Mines in Wiltshire, UK. Really great stuff! Always gotta remember to bring maps and a compass or you will get lost. And it's always good to leave a trail behind you to follow back out. Spare batteries are a must and bring some snacks and water too, it's surprisingly tiring walking and climbing underground.

Pic related, me in the famous Cathedral
>>
File: received_967959723290675.jpg (98 KB, 888x1184) Image search: [Google]
received_967959723290675.jpg
98 KB, 888x1184
>>719301
Gonna dump some pics
>>
File: received_971627282923919.jpg (93 KB, 888x1184) Image search: [Google]
received_971627282923919.jpg
93 KB, 888x1184
>>719306
I'm not sure why, but I like this one a lot
>>
File: received_971627612923886.jpg (92 KB, 888x1184) Image search: [Google]
received_971627612923886.jpg
92 KB, 888x1184
>>719309
There's more than 90km of confusing tunnels down there. Some of which apparently lead to the Box Tunnel and the famous military base, Burlington!
>>
File: received_967959809957333.jpg (123 KB, 1184x888) Image search: [Google]
received_967959809957333.jpg
123 KB, 1184x888
>>719313
Shrooms!
>>
>>719306
that pic is spooky as fuck
10/10
>>
>>719031
>Who the fuck carries their shit?

Cavers. Packing out your feces is standard practice.
>>
File: Caving Is Fun.jpg (2 MB, 3136x2184) Image search: [Google]
Caving Is Fun.jpg
2 MB, 3136x2184
>>
File: IMG_1231.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1231.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>718897
yes, I live in washington and I explore abandoned mines with my friends every once in a while. It's not too scary but when you turn off your flashlights and you literally cannot see it can be a bit unnerving.
>pic related, want to see more?
>>
>>719480
Nope nope nope nope

>>719309
>>719301
I could deal with that though.
>>
>>719480
holy shit I'm cringing in my chair just thinking about being in there.
>>
Yes. It was wet, small and slippery. There were portions that I really shouldn't have been able to fit through, but I didn't want to have to go back. At one point I had to go down a crack in the floor I couldn't fit my shoulders quite through, so I stayed there and let gravity work for me. Got a few scrapes from that outing

I've went in caves as part of tours and trails but I don't think I'll ever jump into a random cave again unless it was large and shallow
>>
>>719569
wait are we talking about your moms vagina?
>>
File: 456456.gif (2 MB, 293x289) Image search: [Google]
456456.gif
2 MB, 293x289
>>719499
>>719542
>>
>>719593
mom?
>>
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/
>>
>>719316

Might be going back down tomorrow, so will try and take more pictures
>>
File: drr.png (270 KB, 697x645) Image search: [Google]
drr.png
270 KB, 697x645
>>719313
>>
>>718897
I was in gradeschool and our class was going on a fieldtrip to some nature reserve. We got to explore this cave area and there were some crevices that grown-ups couldn't fit into that my classmates and I could. We took advantage of that. The crevices turned out to be nothing more than shortcuts to other areas that grown people would have had to access by taking longer routes w/ some light climbing. I wanted to go back there but unfortunately all I can remember about the trip that might help me indentify the place is the place is somewhere in Wisconsin and that it was a school trip. I'm not even sure who my teacher was that year.
>>
May as well ask if anyone has experience with devil's hole state park near niagara falls/ buffalo ny? It looked like there was another cave under the normie cave. There was a crevice near the entrance that seemed to go down a ways, big enough to fit through (right side of the entrance). There was brick nearby, not sure why. It was full of snow and ice when I went about a month ago, and I was alone so I didn't go in. Does anyone know if there is actually another cave part down there? I'm dying of curiosity. I don't live near enough to just casually go back.
>>
There's some old mining tunnels to caves on my Grandpa's land but he never let us go in them because they are ancient and who knows how they hold up.
>>
>>719108
Ive been in caves an upwards of 12 hours before. Once you get back inside them it can take hours to get back out. Especially if you're having to do a lot of climbing and crawling. There aren't a whole lot of big caves that you can just walk through, most of them have at least some tight spots to crawl through or places where you have to scramble over break down.
>>
>>718897
I went into one when I was younger and I was fine, but now I'm older and there is nothing that could get me into another one now, not love or money.
>>
I've been in many of caves but never had the chance to go beyond paved tourist areas. Always wanted to learn to do actual caving but there's not much in the way of caves where I am.
>>
>>721155
You're thinking of Eagle Cave.

When I was a boy scout in northern illinois we took camping trips up to eagle cave, it's a well-worn cave on private land that lots of people can use because at this point it's shot to hell.

fantastic place for learning how to fit yourself through tight cracks. to this day I cant believe i got the courage to crawl under the stairs that lead into the cave; that's probably the tightest space I've ever been in during my whole life short of my mom's vag and even that didn't take as long.
>>
>>719593
how the fuck do you get out
>>
Ausfag here. I went on a trip to the ski region if Mount bulla during the summer. Got to do all kinds of cool climbing abseiling caving stuff. We entered a cave that involved sliding under a rock face underwater for about 2 meters to enter. We followed it down swimming through an underground river for qhat felt like ages. Once we reached the end it was a wall. Had to dive under the water and let the current carry us out.once we cleared the rockface was about a 4 meter waterfall drop.

This was all when i was about 14 and was one of the best experiences of my life
>>
>>723279
Where is that bruv I'm going up there this Winter hopefully
>>
File: IMG_20150819_190940.jpg (2 MB, 2304x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150819_190940.jpg
2 MB, 2304x2304
>>719033
Well.... this is odd. Are you TSA?
If you are , I probably know you . Judging by character and the fact this is 4chan, is this Johnathan? Lol
>>
>>723238
>>719593
I know the people in this video. This is as deep cave in west texas. There's a larger entrance right off camera.
>>
>>719049

Wow, sounds fucked. What kind of situation were you in that nobody knew that you were going in to a cave? Who decided that was the destination? Something doesn't add up.
>>
>>719480

Reminds me of that guy who died caving a while ago. He got stuck in a part that's infamous for having to wedge your body through while upside down. Fucked up way to die if you ask me.
>>
>>719498

Post one with the flashlight off
>>
>>721538

Enough with the vagina jokes
>>
>>723279

Heard about some people who went caving in Thredbo a few years ago. They didn't mean to, though.

bazinga
>>
>>724008
I was in the TSA but I've moved form Texas so I don't really keep up with it. I got into caving as an Aggie (ASS) member. We probably know some of the same people.
>>
>>724023
Is that Punkin?
>>
>>724713
Deep and Punkin are two separate caves on the same property.
>>724711
Damn dude, I know for a fact I probably know your name at least. Been on the cbsp project for a while now, also used to conduct cave tours there as well. I only live up the road.
>>
>>724340
>"Hey guys, today's adventure is a surprise, you're gonna love it!"

Exactly that. The fact that a father and his two kids around 10-12 years old had just come out of it cemented the fact we "just had" to go in. Though, they had helmets with lights and looked like all-time merit badge winners the 3 of them.

>Something doesn't add up.

Human stupidity and ignorance at its best.
>>
File: 9gA1yS1.jpg (101 KB, 581x724) Image search: [Google]
9gA1yS1.jpg
101 KB, 581x724
>>719593
FUKUGI FUKUGI FUKUGI FUKUGI FUKUGI FUKUGI
>>
File: 1307897147857.jpg (53 KB, 590x604) Image search: [Google]
1307897147857.jpg
53 KB, 590x604
>>725350
kek
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.