[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you talk with strangers, or do you try to avoid them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13
File: balanced-blonde.jpg (597 KB, 718x581) Image search: [Google]
balanced-blonde.jpg
597 KB, 718x581
do you talk with strangers, or do you try to avoid them?
>>
95% ignore except for a hello. Occasionally I'll meet a climber or UL fag and we'll have a bro moment talking about gear and how there are too many fucking Boy Scouts on the mountain. I met some SAR guys who clued me in on Northern Lites snowshoes, and a climber who showed me a great bivy spot on Mt baldy summit. Other than that I do my own thing
>>
I will say hello, mention any trail conditions behind me that could be dangerous and be on my way
>>
Most of the time I do my own thing because I have my rythm and I don't want to change it to go with people. Also, being /out/ and not seeing anybody for a few days is a great feeling.
But when I happen to share some time with someone I usually enjoy it, people here in France are very friendly when /out/, and most of them are kind of impressed by the fact that I'm alone and sleep outside for several days so they want to talk about it, which is nice.
>>
We need an /out/ handshake when we pass by. Like how motorist do the underhand peace sign.

Perhaps taking our knife out would be a good one right?
>>
>>718650
This is why we need the /out/ store with engraved Moras and green beanies with patches.

But let's be honest, nobody here really goes /out/doors. We just sit in our basements looking for good deals on gear from Amazon so we can take pictures of it and post them here.
>>
>>718623
Wouldn't matter. Nobody woud return my pleasantries. I'm old and kinda scary looking. The hottie at the liquor store adores me though and is crazy flirty with me.
>>
>>718661
It's ok man, I'm half black and look angry when I'm tired, so no one talks to me when I'm out either.
>>
File: IMG_0950.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0950.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
>>718623
Usually when I go out it's to get away from people. So I try to avoid them to the best of my ability. Also I'm almost always armed and wearing earth-toned clothes to blend in. I'd feel bad if I scared someone away from a trail and ruined their trip. But if I see a old guys walking the trail I like to stop and talk to them. They tend to know all the good hunting spots and scenic routes.
>>
I think there's something seriously wrong with people who don't have time for a simple "hi, how are ya". When I pass one of those people who tries to avoid eye contact altogether I take particular pleasure in accosting and inflicting chit-chat on them. Fuck wit me.
>>
>>718623
I try to avoid people when /out/. I go to extreme lengths actually to avoid people. But worst case scenario I will at least say good morning. Even if it's not morning.
>>
Mostly i just pile an absurd amount of jerkey into my mouth, remove my shirt, and make long drawn out screams at people while staring them directly in the face with my eyes widened and my fists clenched at my waistline. I continue this until they are far enough down the trail as to not be bothering me.
>>
avoid them with great prejudice unless cute boy like pic related. i'm always friendly tho, just don't go outta my way unless as previously stated
>>
File: 1455878524298_2.jpg (25 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
1455878524298_2.jpg
25 KB, 498x412
>>718702
>mfw that pack
>>
File: uhhuh.gif (5 KB, 300x413) Image search: [Google]
uhhuh.gif
5 KB, 300x413
>>718705
>mfw dem thighs tho
>>718702
>>
>6'5" 275 and bearded
I'll give a smile or a hi or a nod but that's about it.
>>
File: 1373251093502_smile.png (132 KB, 778x778) Image search: [Google]
1373251093502_smile.png
132 KB, 778x778
>>718706
desu this is why I left /b/
>>
>>718713
good job having the most current version
>includes the "RIP" above the moot
>stanley cooker w/nesting cup
>eggs (hard boiled of course)
>>
I avoid millennials. I avoid women of all ages. I only stop to talk to suspicious looking older gentlemen hoping they're on their way to their secret moonshine/weed stash and I buy some off of them.
>>
>>718623
If it's a descent looking girl I might depending on mood. Other than that avoid at all costs.
>>
I smile, say hi, chat about trail conditions or the weather if they're talkative.

If I don't feel like chatting I'll just put my headphones on (even if I'm not listening to music) and do the smile/nod.
>>
>>718660
That's me right now minus the whole basement thing. When will I get to go out? Never get married or have children /out/
>>
>>718623
I'm conflicted. I'm a natural misanthrope, but some of the best fun I've had in my life began with getting into a stranger's car.
>>
>>718726
>I avoid millennials.
Excellent plan.

> I avoid women of all ages.
Lousy plan. GenX and boomer women can be pretty cool because they weren't socialized by the Disney channel. Too bad it's not the 90s anymore and they aren't young.

>I only stop to talk to suspicious looking older gentlemen hoping they're on their way to their secret moonshine/weed stash and I buy some off of them.
This involves a significant risk of getting mauled by bears.
>>
If you've got a campfire going strangers are more likely to drop by.
Last time I was making eggs and some coffee an old old couple came by. Shared some coffee. And the husband asked if he could see my knife while his wife told me about a new sleeping shelter that was being build further north

Pretty comfy
>>
So out, i just got home after a overnighter at some shelters.
>>be me, 20 year old gearfag
>>walking to the shelters i spot a fire, fuck
>>Go up to them, they look like hillbilly bums, ask if they are gonne sleep there
>>'Yes'
>>Seems like chill people, talk for a bit about people passing by the shelters. They say i can stay if i want
>>nothanks.jpg
>>go up to an abandons building, more like a ruin, i just need roof over my head
>>hillbilly Grill comes by with her dog
>>say they are gonna roll some weed, ask if ill join
>>initially fuck no, but decided to just roll with it
>>sit there, talk with them, take some hits
>>slowly begin to feel it, short after i'm tripping balls
>>get insanely paranoid, thinking to my self if they will hack me down
>>they eat, and i just stand there awkwardly looking at them eat
>>'Well, cya, nice talking to you guys'

Talking with people is overrated, and don't some with some you don't even know the name of. It was also my first solo camping.
>>
Let me give you a 13th century dank Viking meme on the matter:

Like an eagle swooping over old ocean,
snatching after his prey,
so comes a man into court who finds
there are few to defend his cause.
>>
Unless I'm already stopped for a meal, or setting up camp, I'll probably just say hello. But if I'm not in a rush, I'm always interested to see where others are headed/where they've come from. Some provide some pretty useful intel on water sources, shelter availability (AT), or otherwise.
>>
Because I live in southern California, I encounter people almost constantly. Saying hi is also part of my job so I'm sick of it. It depends on what the person looks like. After people have said hi or good morning to me I've started doing the same, helps break that awkward tension when you walk towards someone way down the other end. It's usually women who say nothing in return or avoid eye contact, I've considered ignoring most women but there are nice ones too. Still I'm not going to stop and chat.
>>
>>718943
>say they are gonna roll some weed, ask if ill join
>slowly begin to feel it, short after i'm tripping balls

This is right about when I called BS.
>>
>>718964
Probably laced, had that happen to me one time.
I wouldn't say I was tripping balls but it was like I kept blinking my eyes really fast without actually blinking while my reaction time sped up and slowed down constantly.
>>
No. I avoid people I've known my entire life.
>>
>>718964
>BS
I don't think so. That is exactly how that scenario would have played out if it was me.
>>
>>718964
I've had the same shit happen to me, it's either the bud is too strong for yourself or it's laced.

Or both, if it's both cases, enjoy that four hour bad trip and paranoia fuck fest at the fucking EKKA with coppa cunts walking around.
>>
>>718648
my nigger. Where in France you at?
>>
I'll greet strangers with a casual "hello" or whatever, but I don't go out of my way to start a conversation with them. If they try to start a conversation with me then I'll talk with them for a while.

** If I consume any alcohol then I'll talk to anyone for as long as they'll listen to me.
>>
>>718847
>but some of the best fun I've had in my life began with getting into a stranger's car.

Every time I've done this I have woken up the next morning with the most terrible headache after a night full of drugs, booze, strippers, and/or hookers.
>>
Normally I just smile/nod. If trail conditions are relevant I'll say something.

If they say something, I'll politely respond, but conversing is essentially never at the top of my priority list, especially not when /out/.
>>
>>719315
T'es français ?
I live in Montpellier, but I'm from Cerdagne in the Pyrénées Orientales so that's usually where I go. But I also do some French Alps /out/ session too
>>
>>718706
You mean dem toothpicks?
>>
>>719445
not to post OT but i like slender guys and skinny jeans just sayin'
>>
>>718661

I know that fucking feel. I'm a big guy not like fat big (I have gotten fat though), but the 6'3 260lbs kind of big. On top of that I always look angry and my face and arms are covered in scars from various accidents and the old days when I would get in fights.

It sucks cause I really do think I'm a nice guy, but that first impression is hard to get past, especially when people see me walking towards them in the woods. I've even taken to extremes like wearing a giant yellow shirt with a duck on it to try and fix it, but that only made it worse it seems.

I'm only 20, I don't want to go the rest of my life like this.
>>
>>718650
That sounds like a horrible idea. That sounds like something hobos would do right before they stab the shit out of each other with rusty piss knives. Plus what if the other hiker is a regular lay person and you give a creepy smile while flashing your rusty dagger. That will only cause someone to shit themselves on the trail or lead to a dueling knife battle.
>>
File: evry tiem.gif (465 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
evry tiem.gif
465 KB, 500x333
>>718943
>>718964
>>718995

Obviously I'm going to at least bother with a modest nod for fellow outdoors-people.
The deeper in the woods, the more unexpected it is to see other hooman beings.
>>
>>718623
If I see strangers on a trail before they spot me, I put on a crazy look and run straight at them screaming, "Run! It's catching up. Run for your life!
>>
Ive found that older folks seem to be more likely to say "Hello" when passing by, and I'll return with a nod and a hello of my own.
>>
>>718884
I once got hassled by an older couple threatening to call cops for me to lighting a fire then i recorded them and when they called the cops and i showed them the video of them trespassing on my land and they got arrested and had to pay a fine of trespassing on my property needlees to say i felt like a badass
>>
>>719831

Did you get the money?
>>
Avoid rich old fucks who has no idea about what they doing. Say hello to around my age people, get into serious talk with old badass types who knows eveyfucking shit, start small chat with grills. Thats all.
>>
Last summer I met an old couple who were on their way up the mountain to check on their cows. They were sweet and smalltalked for a while. When I came back down and got cell reception the police called me asking me if my car was stolen. Apparently the old couple 'though I looked like a foreigner' and called the police on me thinking I had stolen the car and was hiking so I could break into cabins.
>>
>>718660
the gear recommendations work well for the rest of us who do go out though
>>
>>718623
I do not engage strangers unless I have business with them. However, if stranger engaged me I smile maintain eye contact and reciprocate. This is general civility.
>>
>>719942
no :( thanks to Europes retarded laws but they did have to give a written apology
>>
>>718947
This is why vikings got raped by everyone and no longer exist outside of anything but stories, fucking idiots.
>>
>>718700
Prob would draw my gun on you
>>
>>718726
>I avoid millennials.

How old are you? 36+ or under 17?
>>
>>719709
You sound like a fun guy
Would chill
>>
>>719709
>not like fat big
>6'3 260lbs

Your a fat fuck, I'm 6'2 and weigh 200 lbs and could still lose a few, don't try to tell me you are some kind of fit fat unless you are literally a fat bastard powerlifter.
>>
>>718623
no talk
>>
>>720227
not that anon but 6'3 260lbs is not fat if heavy set somewhat muscular
it's a pretty normal weight.
>>
6 ft 3 210-220 lbs, have a bit of extra stomach fat I could stand to get rid of but have nice legs, shoulders arms etc

I consider myself to be pretty decent honestly
>>
>>720259
Also as for talking to people in the trail, il smile and nod, say hi if they smile back will chat with anyone who really wants to chat though I rarley go out of my way to start a conversation with anyone unless they're catching alot more fish that me, or if a dog comes up to me that usually starts a short chat
>>
>>720255
here is my example btw i do consider myself out of shape currently.

i'm 6'3 and now just shy of 300lbs
my bmi puts me well into the obese category, however the waist/height ratio is 0.54 which is in the just owerweight range.

i also personally think that a hanging belly is where you draw the line between fat and not fat. and i do have some gut i could live without it's far from hanging over my belt.

260lbs is what i consider my ideal weight.
well spring comes i'm gonna be back on my mtb in the coming days.
>>
> be me
> national park
> common fire pit
> hippie party when I get there
> drunk hippies aggressively try to start conversation
> "why don't you come in on the fun ? Do you hate me? I think he hates me. Tell me if you hate me I'm gonna leave you alone. "

Jesus, get a clue bitch.
>>
I talk with the strangers I meet in AT shelters; I must have met over 100 individual trail-named thru-hikers and have yet to have a bad experience with one of them; all where real, salt-of-the-earth kinds of people
>>
>>718648
Anglo in Paris reporting in.
>>
>>720227
>>720255

Ideal body weight for a large framed individual that is 6'3" would be between 206 and 227 pounds. Such an individual would be considered clinically obese and has an excess weight of 53.4 lbs. Lose some weight - this used to be my weight, and it is definitely obese.
>>
>>720355
>according to bmi
>which doesn't take into account muscle mass or fat
anon could be ripped as fuck. muscle weights more than fat and healthier than a guy 205 and 6'4".
>>
>>719709
i kinda feel bad for you
>>
My autism shows when I converse too long so I usually avoid conversations. I occasionally say hello.
>>
>>719809
No you don't.
>>
>>718650
>underhand peace sign
What?

Also no, the chances of me ever meeting someone from /out/ are so little o'd be embarrassed to do some aspie handshake

Just wear the /out/ patch on your jacket, the bear at the picnic table I mean
>>
>>720415
you don't even need to be ripped as fuark. it's enough if you don't skip leg days like the curlbros.
i have thick dense bones even with all my excess fat i sink in water like a stone if i fully fill my lungs with air the top of my head is above water if i let some out is sink. so yeah muscle is not heavier than water much and fat is lighter must be the bones or my balls of steel.

so taking into account a stronger than average skeletal structure and some (not much just some) muscle mass you will not even be fat let alone clinically obese at that weight.

when i was under 200 pounds with my height i was called a "stick-mantis" cause that's what i was basically skin and bones.
>>
>>720415
bmi is shit for tall people and overly forgiving for short people. it really only works in broad statistics assessing health risks in a population rather than for individuals.

that is because the x^2 is bullshit for humans ideal weight to height ratio is x^2.3 to x^2.9 for humans like for an average build it would be x^2.6.
>>
>>718623
I would talk to her.
>>
I scream incomprehensible gibberish at them.
>>
>>721112
italian?
>>
>>720201
Wtf are you talking about? Vikings literally raped the rest of europe. They plastered their semen everywhere. France and uk are all related to ragnar.
>>
>>721121
>Vikings literally raped the rest of europe
This is incorrect. The vikings, while quite the party culture, and definitely rough and tumble types, were extremely anti-rape. They would torture/kill anyone they thought was raping.

Please do not shitpost untrue facts. Shitpost all you want, just not stuff that is incorrect.
>>
>>719709
I avoid grown men in ducky shirts period.
>>
>>718650
>Underhand peace sign

Spotted the non motorist
>>
>>719805
Well it was sarcasm but I'm glad you understood why it was bad and got creative with it
>>
>>721121
>Ragnar
>not Harald
>>721126
This is a very interesting point I feel is not brought up nearly enough. A man who mistreated his wife was the worst. A man who mistreated his kids was worse then worst
>>
i rape and/or kill them
>>
>>721292
A wife who felt she was being mistreated was also well within her rights to get stabby on her husband, which is an interesting take on women's rights.
>>
>>718842
Seconded
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcXjSlwvicc

dont talk to strangers
>>
>>719709
Yellow is a warning color. Wear a hawaiian shirt.
>>
File: murricainvasionofcanada.jpg (106 KB, 712x967) Image search: [Google]
murricainvasionofcanada.jpg
106 KB, 712x967
>>719709
Hey man don't worry about it, I'm 6'2 like 170 on a good day and can't tan worth shit. I'm a perpetual spooky skeleton 24/7/365. The key is to make friendly eye contact. I know that sounds weird but it works man.
>>
File: Vikingwaifu.jpg (61 KB, 736x460) Image search: [Google]
Vikingwaifu.jpg
61 KB, 736x460
>>721126
This guy knows what he is talking about. Vikings kept women in the highest regards. Guess how you make more vikings? With beautiful viking women is how.
>>
>>721931
Then how come Viking women love nigger dicks so much ya cuck?
>>
>>721931
*Sorry, I meant to say: how come Viking women love getting raped by nigger dicks so much, ya cuck?
>>
>>721931
>Vikings kept women in the highest regards
That's Sweden is so cucked now?
>>
>>719809
hahahahha hilarious joke thanks reddit
>>
>>719709
>I'm a big guy
For me.
>>
>>720208
Fucking Americans
>>
how many sc/out/s are murderers?
>>
File: preying.jpg (2 MB, 2800x1750) Image search: [Google]
preying.jpg
2 MB, 2800x1750
>>722120
angry European skinwalker who is used to praying on the defenseless detected.
>>
Nod, smile, and then say something like "Пpoщy Meня" or something.

I treat people in safeway and in /out/ the same. I don't go there for conversation.
>>
>>718623
Only if they're cute women. Otherwise I don't really mind. I'm out there to be alone.
>>
>>718964
>>718965
>>718995
Nobody laces weed you idiots. Some of the natural cannabinoids in weed make some people trip balls, especially when they don't have any tolerance.

You're like those idiots who think that bad trips are caused by "bad acid" and not the person taking the drug.
>>
>>722297
Fucking retard alert.
Underage b&
Thisfuckingguy.jpeg

I'll even call you a newfag.

Shut the fuck up you have no idea what you are talking about you dumb stoner faggot.
>>
File: 1453515152387.jpg (78 KB, 700x676) Image search: [Google]
1453515152387.jpg
78 KB, 700x676
>>718623
If it's a girl i like to sneep up on them and smell their tent during the night

sometimes i can close my eyes and imagine that behind this thin layer is a hot girl in her undis speeling, gets me so hard
>>
>>723895
Why the fuck would people put expensive drugs in cheap ass weeds and not raise the prices for it, not to mention you can't just burn and inhale most smokeable drugs, unless you're smoking your weed with a crack pipe you're probably just a pleb smoker. Fucking lol
>>
>>723926
Man, that's some weird shit you are into there anon.
>>
>>723932
That was b8 m8.

Good job explaining why nobody laces weed though.
>>
>>723932
You mix lsd with amphetamines because the later causes biological addiction. So they come back for more. It is like a forced aubscription model. I know some who do it, but i sell clean.
>>
>>718643
If you are on Mt. Baldy and complaining about too many boy scouts you are both retarded and probably not there legally.
>>
>>725158
Not the one you replied to, but there's more than one mt. baldy, philmontphriend.
>>
File: 1332641333517.jpg (291 KB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
1332641333517.jpg
291 KB, 1000x670
>>718650
/tg/ has one, just come up with some crazy shit in this thread and someone make a picture of it and spread it around
>>
>>725141
Amphetamine is not physically addictive, but it does affect dopamine so it is addictive in the same way that videogames or other fun things are addictive.

People come back for LSD because they like LSD. Even if speed was addictive you would need to deliver it to them daily, and LSD needs about two weeks before it'll work again. Nobody would buy LSD for consumption in any form other than blotter tabs, which don't hold enough chemical for a dose of speed.

In short, you're full of shit.
>>
>>718676
Seriously. At least look and smile when passing by. That's all I ask for.
>>
a customary nod and "hi". If its on the summit I'll say something about the view even if its foggy and pissing down like "Great View!" and we have a harty laugh as we smoke our pipes and drink a customary port
>>
>>725832
>LSD needs about two weeks before it'll work again
utter bullshit
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.