[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/, /k/omando here, Im looking for a small day pack to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 61nbZMnrUNL._SL1001_.jpg (80 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
61nbZMnrUNL._SL1001_.jpg
80 KB, 1001x1001
Hey /out/, /k/omando here, Im looking for a small day pack to take when I go hiking (usually 3-4 hours at most) and I know nothing about them as far as brands to look for and common sizes. I just need something to carry a camera and film, maybe a snack or two and some water for me and my battle buddy. Im looking for something in the size range of pic related, but I really want two shoulder straps. I posted on /k/ but realized this would be a better place for obvious reasons. I saw the backpack general, but the ones listed were all much larger than I'm looking for.
>>
>>718366
Battle buddy doesn't need a ton of water either.
>>
Omg can't you just go to your local /out/thingy seller and buy the first bag you see ? If you're using for 3-4 hours hike there's like really no point on buying anything else but the cheapest bag you can find
>>
>>718366
Pretty much any daypack that REI got on sales and fits your specs. Seriously, it is more about your budget and what features you want than about a specific maker. In general, stay away from Chinese made milspec and you should be OK.
>>
Anything. Jansport or other school backpack. Save the money for when you need an overnight pack.
>>
>>718366
Hello /k/ommando.

What the other sc/out/doorsman have said is what I'll recommend too. Walmart tends to have some hydration packs online and in their stores that are super cheap that come with a lifetime warranty you may want to look into.

If you start looking at more expensive daypacks or multi-day packs you may want to look at Direct Action, Camelbak, Sandpiper of California, Osprey, Vanquest, Maxpedition, and other more expensive brands. Direct Action has a ( what I think is ) a "new kid on the block" vibe; as if they really seemed to try hard with their pack designs to make the best packs they could. Camelbak and SoC seem to have good reputations while Osprey seems to be a favorite of many anon's here. I'm going to recommend Camelbak as a lot of their bags seem to come with a free milspec hydration bladder and those fancy camou patterns /k/ommando's and hunters seem to like.
http://www.camelbak.com/
>>
File: talon11_side_flameorange.jpg (94 KB, 570x760) Image search: [Google]
talon11_side_flameorange.jpg
94 KB, 570x760
>>718405
Dude's just looking for advice. Some people like to research things rather than just blindly buy something.

>>718366
I would concur that two shoulder straps is the way to go. Do you have any other criteria like style or anything? Are you into more tacticool stuff, or is something like pic related OK? And what's your budget?

also, +1 for Osprey.
>>
>>719565
OP here. I'm not too concerned about styling as long as it does what I need it to do. In fact that's a damn fine looking bag.

As far as tacticool, I would say I would like to stay pretty well north of mall ninja tier. I don't mind terribly if it actually servies a function that I would use regularly, but typically I try to stay away from it. I would prefer a nice OD to a really flamboyant color, but I just can't bring myself to wear camo.

I have a hard time justifying paying something close to $100 when I can only really use it maybe once a week for 4 months or so out of the year, but again, if it did what I needed it to really well, I could save up for a couple of weeks and not feel too bad about it. I was thinking $50-$70?
>>
Why get a day pack for 3-4 hours? Just check the weather for what to wear and being a bottle of water.

On an unrelated note, my 13L Osprey Daylite works great for 1-2 night hikes.
>>
>>718366
5.11 homie. If you like tactical, there is no better option. Pockets galor and really good construction.
>>
>>719953
>On an unrelated note, my 13L Osprey Daylite works great for 1-2 night hikes.
IF you like to strap your gear to the outside of your pack, it might does. Bit a 13L pack for an overnighter is usually a pretty stupid idea.
>>
>>720027

>tarp
>footprint
>NeoAir
>Sleeping bag liner
>kettle/pocket rocket/lighter/spoon
>Sawyer Squeeze
>food
You literally don't need anything else. Which is why I wonder why someone needs a day pack for a day. I'd you look at a weather report and dress appropriately, the only thing you should need is a water bottle. You can even bring a water filter in your pocket if you want to fill it back up.

I have a 60L for winter/cold weather.
>>
>>718366
If you must get some /k/ool, get a snall camelbak bag with a hydration bladder.
>>
>>718366
/k maxpedition monsoon or 5.11 rush 12
/out some light hiking rucksack as osprey

middleground would be essl wandernrucksack 31. tough material, light, good ergonomics, some pockets, nice colour.

I bought a shoulderbag like that for about 20€ from cheap tacticool company mfh. Quality not the best, but still use it if i need more than my pockets (notebook, edc shit, bottle, beanie, buff...). You can put whole Nalgene 1l bottle in it.
>>
>>720187

Agreed. I bought a Camelbak MULE a few years back on closeout for like $60. Holds 3 liters of water and whatever you need to carry for a day, including a rain jacket, food, and a first aid kit. Plus it's got an integrated rain cover. Most REI and Osprey models are safe bets as well, OP.
>>
>>720021
Gotta say that I love my 5.11 packs; I use a Rush 24 for all of my hunting and day-hikes. They're especially designed for those who are neurotic about organizing gear for quick access; weight distribution is a plus too. Go with a Rush 12 if you want to go this route; expect to fork over some cash though.
>>
>>718425

this is bullshit. Jansport sells backpacks that cost 50 dollars and have NO rigidness or padding to the back whatsoever. You can easily get a 50 dollar daypack of much higher quality than jansport. You can't tell me that even rudimentary chest/hip straps, and some rigidiness to the back make a far superior backpack than one which does not have those features.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1167481&gclid=CjwKEAjw_ci3BRDSvfjortr--DQSJADU8f2jJ2YYhO6kq-HCftpGbtKO4IkGltxLINq3P2mW4rhpZhoC-03w_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q=

this pack here is only 37 bucks, 1000 cubic inches of room, all the features i mentioned, and comes with a hydration bladder. Havn't bought it yet but it's the one i'm personally considering.

Let us know what you end up getting and how it is, OP!
>>
>>720327
REI has Osprey day packs cheaper than that.
If he just wants a backpack for cheap he should go trade a middle schooler for lunch money (or go to a Goodwill/Wal Mart).
If he just wants to carry water and he's not in a desert, he should buy a bottle of water.

OP, price seems to be your major qualifier. Either get something made for what you want or skip it all together. I don't see the need to spend money on a backpack in your scenario and it bothers me to see you consider "cheap" solutions that aren't saving you any money now and even less on the future.

>>720408
This seems like a good deal.
>>
>>718366
Have you considered the archwood flextrek?
>>
>>720408
>Let us know what you end up getting and how it is, OP!

I just ordered it, I went with an Osprey Flapjack, they had the grey one on clearance on their site, and another 20% off promo code got it down to $47.98 plus shipping.

Thanks guys so much for the input!
>>
>>720817
>asks for daypack
>buys laptop carrier
>>
5.11 Rush12.
>>
File: 61m9RmSAaDL._SL1000_.jpg (78 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
61m9RmSAaDL._SL1000_.jpg
78 KB, 1000x1000
>>719940
>>
>>720900
>mfw i realize i've put things other than a laptop in my laptop bag
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.