[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am thinking about buying a firearm. Probably just sport shooting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: mountain7.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
mountain7.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
I am thinking about buying a firearm.

Probably just sport shooting for now. Maybe hunting. I don't really have any plans, I just want a gun.

The problem is that I have not used a gun in nearly 15 years. I learned when I was a wee sc/out/ and received my firearm safety certification and all that other fun shit.

I understand the basic stuff
>only point a gun at something/someone you want to kill
>don't look down the barrel of a loaded gun
>etc

I want to learn the proper usage. So I can reload it, and fire it without looking like a fucking retard. I do not live near any friends/family members who will be able to demonstrate proper firearm usage. I also do not have any private land where I can practice at the moment.

So /out/ how does an adult learn how to use a firearm?
>>
Several times a year in my area local law enforcement agencies will provide basic firearm safety and operation training for the general public over a weekend. You should look and see if anything like that is offered in your area.
>>
Go to /k/, try to ignore the shit posting, or simply read the sticky
>>
>>718116
There are a lot of trainers out there that will provide basic firearm safety and marksmanship training, check your local gun clubs or shooting ranges, they will be able to point you in the right direction if they can't provide it. Hands on is always better than reading about it online.

After getting the basic safety course done it's best to just get a few guns and start practising, I don't have land to shoot on so I use the range at a private gun club.
>>
>>718116
Near me there is a state run gun range at a wildlife management area. Just by going regularly and being friendly, I picked up a lot of tips from the rangemasters and other shooters.

I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago, and with lots of internet research and talking to people I've gotten very competent.

If you make some older shooting friends that helps a lot. Really, I'd avoid /k/ unless you want advice on specific firearms or what to buy. I have a friend with a farm and lots of gun knowledge that's helped a lot. Also, land and gun owners will be likely to let you hunt their land!
>>
>>718193
Let me clarify: tips from shooters DOES NOT equal legit training. I did things the hard/cheap way; it took me a while to get good, but I got there eventually.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.