[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soft shell clothes + poncho
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: mvl_poncho_olive_b.jpg (87 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
mvl_poncho_olive_b.jpg
87 KB, 800x800
Anyone ever backpack without hardshells?

I was thinking softshell jacket and pants for maximum breathability and _some_ rain protection, and carrying a rain poncho for heavy downpours

I don't like wearing plasticy hardshell jackets against my skin, and honestly I've never found any waterproof/breathable jacket to be actually significantly breathable.

What do you think /out/?
>>
>>718062
I've got a frogg toggs poncho and it's pretty good but yeah, not exactly breathable. It's the only thing I use because it packs away pretty small and is relatively lightweight. The material is not very tough, it's a rubberized material and seems like heavy briars would shred it all to fuck. It is quiet to wear though unlike a lotta ponchos and rain suits.
>>
File: xumbrellabanner.gif (113 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
xumbrellabanner.gif
113 KB, 480x270
I use an umbrella and bungee cord to strap it to the frame of my backpack or straps. You can use it when it's sunny as a parasol. I imagine it'd also be good for scaring bears if needed.
>>
I don't get why ponchos are a big deal. Most of them don't have sleeves and only cover the upper half of your legs. It's okay in light rain but if it really starts pouring down your legs and arms will be soaking wet. Why not just go all the way and take rain pants + rain jacket (with a hood) so you properly cover your body.
Having wet clothes suck.
>>
>>718062
They work when you are already wearing water proof boots and water proof/ resistant pants with a built in gaiter, a water resistant upper body soft shell also helps but isn't required when the poncho is big enough. Remember, A sufficiently effective poncho will be heavy, but light ponchos will be blown about by the wind.

Ponchos are also shit when you are climbing mountains trails, since they act as giant sails which can be unpleasant when you are less than a foot away from a hundred meter drop. I did it once, never again.
>>
>>718062
Is that a Mexican poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
no seriously poncho's are best in warmer weather with heavy/brief showers.
try holding the front out as much as possible(hiking stick/poles) to keep water out of the tops of your footwear.
>>
>>720487
>try holding the front out as much as possible(hiking stick/poles) to keep water out of the tops of your footwear.
with your stick/pole held horizontally under the poncho...it works.
helps with ventilation too.
>>
I have been thinking of getting gorka, but I also thought about getting poncho instead, reason being is so I can cover my backpack from the rain.
>>
>>720685
I also would love to get a Gorka, but don't know how to buy it reliably in Europe.
>>
>>720685
A gorka is not a rain protection item, just so you know.
>>
>>720718
Varusteleka.net
Just bought gorka pants from there last week.
>>
>>720728

Oh? I thought gorka-D was a waterproof suit?
>>
>>718062
I do.

I always ruck in either just a poly tshirt or a tshirt and a poncho, and then I use the poncho as my tent and put on my sweater.

I have never rucked strait up into a rainstorm though, I might want to bring my waterproof pants next time in case that happens.
>>
>>720926
No it's just windproof.

They're kinda stupid and obsolete.
>>
>>722391
I am leaning towards poncho anyways, since they will be good to cover my backpack, too when its raining, and double as a shelter/windbreaker
>>
File: 09493055.jpg (951 KB, 988x1012) Image search: [Google]
09493055.jpg
951 KB, 988x1012
>>718062
poncho toptier.

>imb b-but wind !
use a strap/belt. most in time your rucksack holds the poncho in place.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.