[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleeping Bag General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 261064.jpg (326 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
261064.jpg
326 KB, 880x660
I need to get a sleeping bag. Problem is I'm too poor to afford anything above $200. I found these bags that people said were good but i don't know if they are full of shit especially since they are so cheap. I don't plan on camping in cold weather and lightweight is my priority if that helps any.
Marmot Cloudbreaker 30
Mountain Hardware Lamina 35
LL Bean Ultralight Sleeping Bag 35
Big Agnes Cross Mountain 45
Are these any good?
Also general sleeping bag thread.
>>
>>717356
Is size a consideration? I'm very broad chested / broad shouldered. Side sleeper also.
I recently bought Nemo Mezzo Loft Luxury 30. Perfect for me.
>>
This week I got myself a Kelty Cosmic Down bag 21° for $130 and tested it out the other night. With just thin cotton PJs I was toasty till about 32°. Temp dropped to 25° and I had to put on a down jacket to stay comfortable. I woke up to frost covering my tent and cold feet.
I'm going to get some thermal PJs and warmer socks. Maybe a bag liner too. Thermalite ones can add 15° of warmth, but I just want one to keep my bag clean.
>>
>>717356
I've had this sleeping bag since 2006. Kept me warm when it was 15 degrees Fahrenheit outside. It compresses pretty well in the sack.
>>
>>717372
Size isn't too much of a consideration for me. I'm 5'10" and average build so i will fit in most regular sized bags.
>>
>>717356
Maybe set aside another $50-$100 and buy some a brand-new milsurp set or use what you have now to buy used.
>>
I never bought anything above 80$ and I've always be fine even in -20°C nights so you should be alright
>>
File: WP_20150101_09_55_23_Pro.jpg (3 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150101_09_55_23_Pro.jpg
3 MB, 3072x1728
>>717356
Sup OP. The USMC modular setup is not lightweight, but it's the most cost-effective system you can pick up. I used the black bag + bivy for a year of camping across the United States on nearly every terrain. The bags are warm, odor-resistant, and tough as nails. The bivy is made with Goretex, but you'll probably want respray with waterproofing material. The modular bags mean that you can theoretically snap together three black bags and a bivy in case you need to survive a bear attack in the middle of a nuclear winter.

In short,
>cheap
>tough
>warm
>heavy
>>
This seems like the right place to ask this question. I haven't camped for about 10 years and my old sleeping bag has been in a compression sack that entire time. My questions are how fucked is it and am I going to have to buy a new sleeping bag?
>>
>>717356
Does anyone living in a dry/warm environment have any experience using those US military style bivy bags like in OP's pic?

I would imagine the gortex would make it a little hot and stuffy in the summer
>>
>>718864
Is it down or synthetic? How compressed was it? It's probably at least somewhat fucked but that would determine more precisely how fucked it is.

>am I going to have to buy a new sleeping bag?
You'd have to try it out to see how it works, but maybe you can call it your summer bag and get a new winter bag.
>>
>>718864
Down or synthetic? If down it might be okay, run it through a gentle low heat dryer cycle with a tennis ball. If synthetic them it's probably lost some warmth but won't be completely fucked.
>>
>>717648
>I used the black bag + bivy for a year of camping across the United States on nearly every terrain.
How stuffy was the bivy in hot weather?
>>
>>718868
>>718869
I'm pretty sure its synthetic I'm not really sure how to check though.
>>
>>718870
Different guy but it's not bad as long as you aren't breathing into it all night. I've slept several hot summer nights in just the bivy.
>>
>>718870
You'll get hot, but unzipping the side helps significantly. Resist the urge to sleep between the bivy and bag - you'll get soaking wet. In >90F weather I would sleep on top of the bag and use my canvas groundsheet as a blanket.
>>
>>717356
up the ante dude...this is one piece of gear not to go cheap on...you'll know why later.
>>
what temperature range is considered to hot for using a sleeping bag?
>>
>>722773
At 80F and above I find sleeping bags to be a bit too hot to sleep inside without sweating all night. I'll just sleep on top of the bag on those hot summer nights.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 156x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 156x400
Anybody have experience with Teton bags? I just ordered a TETON Sports TrailHead +20F Ultralight Sleeping Bag. Hopefully it's a nice one.
>>
>>722785
thanks anon.
>>
>>718867
I used one for a while, it wasn't too bad, but I much prefer a tent. desu unless you're stealth camping there's no real reason to pick the MSS over a good sleeping bag and lightweight tent.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.