[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get an /out/ movies thread? Here are some of my favorites
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 17
File: snow-walker.jpg (596 KB, 1599x1075) Image search: [Google]
snow-walker.jpg
596 KB, 1599x1075
Can we get an /out/ movies thread?
Here are some of my favorites

The snow walker (pic related)
Into the wild (I know I know fuck off)
Alive
127 hours
All of the I shouldn't be alive's
And a bunch I can't think of right now but I would like to watch more.
Tell me about your favorite out movies.
I don't care if it is a documentary like the one about the naval ship that sunk during ww2? And the crew had to survive the sharks
A drama like some of the above
Or even a zombie movie that contains some useful info and isn't completely stupid
>>
>>717175
Honestly I really loved Wild, and it finally settled for me that my next grand adventure will be the Pacific Crest Trail in 2017
>>
This is off-topic but what are some good /out/ related books? I'd ask /lit/ but they make fun of me.

>>717175

The Way Back
Alone in the Wilderness
My Home Movies

>>717202

>I really loved Wild.
>I'm a huge pleb.
>>
>>717203
Well I'm a book pleb but if you haven't read hatchet and lord of the flies you need some help. I also very much enjoyed Z for Zachariah. I watched the movie after the book and it was terrible.
>>
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1683876/
>>
>>717203
I recommend the book "My Side Of The Mountain." Not the skiing book. Highly, highly factual. Fictional, but factual. 'Course it is a childrens' book, but its still a great book.
>>
>>717216
based herzog
>grizzly man
>>
File: CRd5M0fWwAAsatM[1].png (205 KB, 450x677) Image search: [Google]
CRd5M0fWwAAsatM[1].png
205 KB, 450x677
>>717218
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSXyz3he3M
This was alright. Some Anon posted it in another thread. I don't usually recommend VICE but this was in the recommended videos and seems bretty gud so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0rZn8HFmQ
>>
the hunter
>>
>>717224
That desert island video was pretty cool. Seems to god dam idylic in films eh.

Must be weird as hell looking back at your 18 year old self like that... I really do thank god I grew up when instbookspace wasn't keeping all my fucking shameful younger shit for eternity. Quite impressed that he could do it like that, and for TV too.
>>
Jeremiah Johnson is by far the best /out/ movie i've seen!
>>
>>717175
Splinterheads
>>
>>717175
Haven't seen it in a while, but "Touching the Void" was pretty darn good from what I remember of it. Probably the best /out/ movie that I have seen.
>>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264578/
>>
Bikefag here:

Check out: The Road from Karakol
>>
File: images.jpg (154 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
154 KB, 720x1080
>>
>>717367
Thanks man, I'd not heard of this.
>>
>>717220
>>717218
>>717216
came here to post this anything made by herzog is usually great
>>
I wouldn't say that they're totally /out/ focused, but "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down" are two fun series to watch. Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman ride motorcycles around.

https://youtu.be/yl7MrW9Fe7Y
>>
>>717175
Vertical Limit
>>
>>717203
first you need to read the essentials
>John Muir: My First Summer In The Sierra
>Aldo Leopold: A Sand County Almanac
>Edward Abbey: Desert Solitaire
that should do you quite well
>>717217
oh, piss off with that, go grab a copy of Walden
>>
>>717216
Thirding this.
>Soviets give random dude assignment as a trapper and drop him in the middle of the Taiga with a doge and basic tools
>>
>>717630
Shhhh, let people enjoy things
>>
>>717175
Did you see The Revenance? That was really good and he fought a bear in it.
>>
File: dick-proenneke-alaska-cabin-36.png (99 KB, 320x246) Image search: [Google]
dick-proenneke-alaska-cabin-36.png
99 KB, 320x246
Guys some of these recomendations are triggering me.
Lets keep things MGTOW friendly eh?
>>
I just finished Wild, worth a watch
>>
File: p8344052_p_v8_af.jpg (331 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p8344052_p_v8_af.jpg
331 KB, 960x1440
>>717175
I'd recomend this

>Guy gets taken into a Soviet Work-camp in Siberia
>escapes with friends
>all are forced to walk thousands of miles through Desert and frozen forests to escape
>all with minimal food and the clothes on their backs
>>
>>717901
I watched this drunk. I remember liking it, but I don't remember anything about it. There was a Polish guy, i think.
>>
File: backcountryt.jpg (274 KB, 1296x730) Image search: [Google]
backcountryt.jpg
274 KB, 1296x730
>>717573
Absolute shit movie so I'll spoil how shit it was
>dude and his gf go /innawoods/ to a neat lake
>meet this shifty-ass Irishman who is waayyy too foreward
>continue moving toward lake
>"oh no!" "where the lake?!?" "where are we?!?"
>both of them try to make it back to the parking lot
>camping in a tent, then bear
>bear is mad and kills bf in the worst scene ever, think discovery channel reenactments for shitty shows
>gf escapes entirely unscathed but we're supposed to be impressed that she made the walk back to the campgrounds safely
movie ends.
>>
>>717916
so, was the irishman the bear?
>>
>>717917
can neither confirm nor deny, was too mad that I spent 14 hours torrenting it for this
>>
>>717175
World Safari 1, 2, and 3 haven't watched them but it should cater to your adventure boner

point and shoot the IRL weeb who turned himself into a real big boss (metal gear solid in case your not of 4chan for the anime). He set out for an adventure and ended up fighting in a war.

look up mountain climbing on youtube people love to fuel their egos by making videos of themselves climbing giant mountains.

Also read a book nigga.
>>
File: stalker1979.jpg (44 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
stalker1979.jpg
44 KB, 768x576
Stalker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEfJhkPK7o
>>
File: danceswithwolves.jpg (102 KB, 1660x719) Image search: [Google]
danceswithwolves.jpg
102 KB, 1660x719
I havent seen Dances with Wolves in a while, but I remember it being pretty /out/.

I have heard good things about Jeremiah Johnson, and Dersu Uzala is also on my 'to watch' list but I havent gotten around to it yet. If anyone can tell me what they thought of it that would be great.
>>
File: retarded.jpg (57 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
retarded.jpg
57 KB, 480x360
>>717220
>>
>>717916
You're one of those people who can't see the good and bad in things. There was good in the film too you know. No film (or anything at all in life) is perfect it's all about the balance.

This had some pretty big flaws. It's not an absolute shit movie though.
>>
Jeremiah Johnson is the shit.
>>
File: 65377821[1].jpg (148 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
65377821[1].jpg
148 KB, 500x348
>>717901
>making friends in gulag
>>
>>717901
>>718032

theres another film of a German guy fleeing from a gulag on his own, based on a true story:

'As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me'
>>
Are we all trying as hard as we can to not bring up Into The Wild? And whoever does first is a pleb?
>>
>>718139
He was not a real MGTOW
>>
>>718139
but anon, op did it
>>718167
how do you pronounce mgtow?
i say it mig ka tow
what about mgtowitw?
i say mig tow it wah
>>
File: 1447620882769.png (128 KB, 252x289) Image search: [Google]
1447620882769.png
128 KB, 252x289
>>718030
>>717285
>>717216
>>717292

great taste
>>
>>718174
>mgtowitw
what is that?
I have heard of MGTOWUG but not that one.
>>
>>717175
Prince Avalanche is pretty /out/
>>
It's a documentary about Mustangs, but I really enjoyed Unbranded. A group of friends take horses from Mexico border to Canadian border, which takes them months to do. Really gets you in the mood to go hiking.
>>
>>717594

you're welcome, there are one or two more like that one but I don't remember now.
Another one about riding a bike around the world would be 'Pedal the World' but thats more of a /trv/ kinda movie I guess.
>>
File: michael-palin1.jpg (236 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
michael-palin1.jpg
236 KB, 2197x1463
>>718386
Yeah, there's some great stuff out there that is more /trv/, but has great scenery and makes you want to go /out/.

Michael Palin's different series come to mind. I really liked "Himalaya with Michael Palin". He's been making travel documentaries since the '80s, I think, but I prefer the more recent ones.
>>
180 deg south, little preachy
>>
File: image.png (875 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
image.png
875 KB, 1000x562
Pic related is as /out/ as gets. Don't waste your time on any other movies. Go find yourself a copy in the dollar bin at Walmart and sit back and be ready for a life changing experience. Anyone know how much and where I can get one of those badass bolt guns from? It would make my route setting so much easier.
>>
>>718226
not sure what mgtowug is but i suspect mgtowitw is men going there own way into the wild/wilderness
>>
The Last Alaskans is a great documentary series. Watch it.
>>
Good thread. I'd suggest:
Dersu Uzala - soviet movie about a surveyor who becomes mates with an old Siberian hunter

Aguirre the wrath of God - Herzog film about mad conquistador searching for el Dorado in the Amazon. No special effects, filmed like a documentary in the Peruvian Amazon.

Anthropology documentaries are cool too lots on YouTube or if you're a university student check the online catalogue of your library you will be able to stream lots of good ones
>>
>>717175
>>
>>717901
I read the guy's book, supposedly a true story, I think it was called The Long Walk.

>giving a speech on his book in western Europe
>claims he was in the cavalry for the Polish army
>someone stood up and started to yell
>YOU WERE IN MY UNIT, YOU DIRTY LIAR!
>never does public interviews again

It's an awesome story, but he clearly exaggerated a lot of it. He must have hopped a train or a car at some point, and he made it seem like climbing up to the Tibetan plateau was too easy. For a more accurate version, read Seven Years in Tibet, which is also /out/

>walking
>sleeping on hard ground
>young German guy develops crippling sciatica
>has it for the rest of his life
>gets almost ambushed by Kham rebels like 30 times (the province the Polish dude supposedly walked through)
>constantly harassed by Buddhist messengers telling him he has no diplomatic permission to be there, but he tells them to fuck off because they can't do shit

The book and the movie are cool, but bullshit lmao

>>717998
Literally just finished watching this, but I want to read Roadside Picnic, it goes into a lot more detail, supposedly.
>My conscious wants vegetarianism to win over the world, but my subconscious is craving a piece of juicy meat. But what do I want?
Would you go into The Room, anon?

Also it's been forever, but I think The Gods Must be Crazy was a good movie, and Forgotten Bird of Paradise (about West Papuan jungle rebels) gave me /out/ feels.
>>
>>719707
Yeah I read the book and it was thrilling while I believed it was real but after they were walking for days on end in the Mongolian desert without water and then when they saw the Yeti I definitely had my doubts. I then read all about the controversies and it does sound like we was probably a fake. Although it may have been based on another guys story and there were three guys who showed up half dead in India out of the mountains around that time so there could be some truth in the story along with some exaggeration.
>>
>>719707
>>719715
It sucks but I think people get really butthurt if you say, "I changed a few details to make this more entertaining." Because then it loses all appeal as a true story to a lot of people. I think that I'm fine if some facts were changed. It doesn't make me question the guy's integrity or whether or not he escaped from Russia and hiked to fucking Tibet. In a perfect world he could have said I altered the story for narrative purposes but in this one that means we probably wouldn't be talking about the story at all right now.
>>
File: that guy.jpg (192 KB, 1261x705) Image search: [Google]
that guy.jpg
192 KB, 1261x705
>>718913
oh hey, the guy from that vice doc i posted is in this
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BDxqhI9qDw
>>
I watched wild
Wasn't that good for the outdoors stuff story wasn't too bad....
Also watched a walk in the woods which was better but nothing to great
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.