[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ug/ - ultralight general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 600x398
/ug/ - ultralight general
>>
>>717058
Looks cold f@m
>>
Do you have an ultralight penis too?
>>
>>717064
How do you think circumcision started?
>>
Yep. Looks cold and like you'd be better off in most ways with a basic bivy
>>
File: goods_04_163521.jpg (62 KB, 734x734) Image search: [Google]
goods_04_163521.jpg
62 KB, 734x734
>>717143
if by better off you mean frozen dead in a solid block of condensation then yes.

just bought Uniqlo lightweight pocketable rain coat, will post weight and review once it arrives.
>>
File: funtimes.jpg (233 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
funtimes.jpg
233 KB, 1024x681
>>717058
>>
What pack do I want? I can get a Teton sports scout 3400 at amazon for 60$ weighs 4.5 lbs @ 55 liters

Or a mountaintop 40l pack that weighs just 2.1lbs and costs just 40$ ? I think it doesn't have a frame. How much does that matter?

I've backpacked about 20 time including 10 miles into the grand Canyon once. I'm /fit/ 200lbs 6'2"

I am planning a baby trip for a one-nighter and the reviews on both these packs are good. Should I just get the 55l because I can easily muscle it? Or go with the 40l lighter pack for the sake of shaving pounds no matter what?

I plan to work my way up to 3 day backpacking trips but nothing massively aggressive as I'm taking my 12 year old son

Plz help
>>
>>717725
frameless packs aren't for everyone, you need a light load and some way to support it (rolled sleeping pad usually works.)

Don't buy on amazon, try on everything you consider in a store, especially at 6'2"
>>
File: Yass.png (401 KB, 650x467) Image search: [Google]
Yass.png
401 KB, 650x467
>>717058
So let me ask, what's the point of ultralight? I've wondered these things, and I'm really not shitposting, just can't figure it out?

>Is regular kit really that hard to carry for a few days?
>Is the benefit just to be able to carry more at the same weight, or the same amount at a lighter weight?
>Is ultralight just a hipster meme or something?
>>
>>717867
> is regular kit hard to carry?
Not necessarily, but would you rather carry a 35 lb load or an equally functional 18 lb load?

>is ultralight a hipster meme
No, people have been trying to reduce their carried weight for a long time, at least since nessmuk's "woodcraft and camping" was published.
>>
>>717867

It's putting together a kit that is practical, but lightweight and minimalist. Which means expensive gear. I have slowly over the past 5 years put together a phenomenal lightweight kit. But it took forever and cost a ton.
>>
>>717867
The point is to be able to use more of your energy to enjoy the outdoors, and less to carry around the necessities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood

Read it at your pleasure
>>
>>717867

>Is the benefit just to be able to carry more at the same weight, or the same amount at a lighter weight?

What does this even mean? Carry more weight at the same weight?
>>
>>717867
Ultralight is just a bandwagon gear Queers can jump on and circle jerk one another. You can't even define an Ultralight load out. Why you ask? So the circle jerk never ends.
>>
>>717167
Have you tested it in monsoon conditions? I'm going to Thailand and need an UL jacket
>>
>>717933
>you can't even define an ultralight loadout
http://snarkynomad.com/ultimate-ultralight-travel-packing-list/
>>
>>717939
Oh, that's for travel. Disregard that, I suck cocks.
>>
UL doesn't have to be that expensive. There are so many guides on how to make your own gear (MYOG), which ranged from packs, tarps, bivys, quilts and more.
>>
>>717943
Got any links to get a guy started?

Just started doing day hikes with the GF. We have some gear for summer camping but most things are heavy or not suitable for spring/fall.

As a poorfag any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>718199
reddit.com/r/myog is pretty good desu.
>>
/ug/ = ultragay?
>>
>>717058
Looks cold AF senpai
>>
did you mean ultraexpensive
>>
>>717060
>>717143
>>717714
>>718347
tents/tarps aren't meant to protect you from the cold, just rain/wind/bugs. your sleeping bag and pad are what keep you warm at night.

and before you fags sperg out, yes a thick double walled tent will keep you warmer than OP's, but that's not what their main purpose is.
>>
>>717867
because you can only carry a 35lb pack so far up a mountain in a day. the lighter you go, the farther you go, and that opens up many more options for trails that are closed to people who can't hike that distance in a weekend.
>>
>>717938
it's apparently shipping from new jersey even though there are uniqlo stores in CA, so I won't be getting it until Saturday.
>>
>>717886
not true, you can ultralight very cheaply if you know what you're doing.
the only times i paid more than like $50 for anything was my rain shell, midlayer insulation, and shelter.
>>
Does anyone have any suggestions for a ul rain jacket/coat? I bike to work and hate my thick rain jacket, I would love something that isn't as bulky in my bag, or will act like a little furnace if I wear it. Definitely not a trash bag/poncho fan.
>>
File: 94569350.jpg (2 MB, 1302x1332) Image search: [Google]
94569350.jpg
2 MB, 1302x1332
found this
dump her here
>>
>>719702
>Does anyone have any suggestions for a ul rain jacket/coat?
rain poncho. use a strap, so you can wear it like a jacket.
>>
>>719702
I recently purchased pic related and I am loving it. It feels soft, is extremely light, windproof, stretchy, and repels anything but a downpour.
>>
>>717938
who the fuck do you think you are
>>
>>719702
Patagonia alpine Houdini, though it's expensive. Torrentshell is good too, a bit heavy, has pit vents though
>>
>>720840
>>722381

Thanks guys, I will check those out
>>
True fact: ultralight is for twinks who aren't strong enough to carry everything they need without obsessing about minutiae.
>>
>>717886
My gear was relatively cheap. Most expensive thing I have is my tent which was only 80$. I've spent maybe 250$ tops on everything from fire prep, food, shelter, first aid and navigation. And that's including my bag.

I'm sure there's some other things I could get that are lighter or smaller for more money but I'm happy with what I have. Especially since I have a function for it all.
>>
File: braziiil.png (3 MB, 2560x2560) Image search: [Google]
braziiil.png
3 MB, 2560x2560
>>722408
>>720840
>>719702
Got me one of these lately, the price tag is pretty steep but was a sample-model so it was way lower than the MSRP. Haglöfs LIM, I believe?
>>
File: 052.jpg (3 MB, 3592x3248) Image search: [Google]
052.jpg
3 MB, 3592x3248
>>
>>717129
underrated
>>
File: aframe.jpg (56 KB, 580x302) Image search: [Google]
aframe.jpg
56 KB, 580x302
> not building your own shelter
> weighs 2 lbs for a small forest axe to build
>>
File: funtimes.jpg (150 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
funtimes.jpg
150 KB, 640x480
>>723422
Looks so cosy, you probably can build it in a couple of minutes too.
>>
>>723422
>small forest axe
this is ultralight. brudda. we dont use axe. we use folding saw.
>>
File: 04414.jpg (527 KB, 902x636) Image search: [Google]
04414.jpg
527 KB, 902x636
>>723422
>>723448
use ul-tarp with titanium stakes. no need to go full caveman.
>>
>>717867
I can understand it for cycle touring so the hills are easier and you go fast but it does seem stupid for walking.
>>
>>723451
would it technically be lighter if you just got jacked and then carried slightly heavier things?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.