[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hydration thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13
File: 908456d449f3992e8[2].jpg (105 KB, 697x800) Image search: [Google]
908456d449f3992e8[2].jpg
105 KB, 697x800
What do you faggots carry your water in?

I usually have just a black Sigg steel bottle when i go out for a day or so, but I just bought a milsurp Camelbak for 25 euros.

Only thing I'm *kind of* worried about is the possible BPA in the bladder, but momma didn't raise no pussy.
>>
3L Camelback stuffed into a small backpack for day hikes.
For longer trips I also take a nelgene with a 600ml cup.

I kinda want to buy a bladder pack for jogging and biking but I'm worried I'll look like a fag desu.
>>
>>715840
BPA is the last thing you should worry about. Having your bladder burst or puncture should be your biggest fear. That's why I feel stainless steel is more reliable and can actually be put in a fire to purify the water.
>>
General hiking/camping I use a stainless water bottle I bought at the thrift store.

Skiing, scrambling or long-distance stuff I've got a 2l platypus bladder that I put in whatever pack I'm using.
>>
File: DanaDesignWetRib02.jpg (11 KB, 200x153) Image search: [Google]
DanaDesignWetRib02.jpg
11 KB, 200x153
WetRib.
right where you need it
>>
I have a Camelback Antidote 3L. Its great until the mouthpiece pisses all over my bag, clothes, etc, as it inevitably does. Lately though, I bought some Sawyer water pouches and they are awesome so far.
>>
File: CamelBak-Antidote-Reservoir.jpg (316 KB, 975x1933) Image search: [Google]
CamelBak-Antidote-Reservoir.jpg
316 KB, 975x1933
>>715869
Not sure if you're aware, but the yellow tab on the mouthpiece is a shut-off, keeps it from dribbling.
>>
>>715887
Oh, I am well aware of that. It does it with that valve closed all the way.
>>
>>715896
Probably defective then, contact camelbak and they'll send you a new hose/mouthpiece. Or switch to a platypus.
>>
>>715899
Yeah, I've been meaning to do that. I do love the shit out of Camelback's warranty. I broke part of one of my bottles bite valve and they just sent me an entire replacement top for free within the week. Sold me on them.
>>
>>715899
Trust me. He wasn't aware of the valve.
>>
File: 20160309_215423.jpg (748 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160309_215423.jpg
748 KB, 2560x1440
>>715840
>>
File: 20160309_215511.jpg (749 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160309_215511.jpg
749 KB, 2560x1440
>>715973
>>
Just a normal water bottle
>>
I'm ashamed to admit that i use two 1.5 litre noname PET bottles wich came with free water. I paid less than two bucks.
>>
>>715969
Maybe you should keep your fucking opinions to yourself. I will admit, when I first took it out of its box, I did manage to spill because of the valve. But the three times after that, the valve was closed. So maybe think before you post.
>>
Water is the most pointless thing you can bring /out/.
Gatorade bottle and Sawyer Mini filter, purification tabs when it's below freezing.
Gatorade bottles are thick enough to boil water in over a camp fire if my filter fails me.
>>
>>715840
If you're carrying water you are a faggot. WTF???!?!?!?
Man up, drink from streams like a real /out/doorsman.
>>
>>715994
There's not always a stream nearby.
>>
>>715984
>>
>>715994
>>715991
>let me offer advice that only works in my own particular wet environment to people in drier environments

such helpful additions to the thread, thanks
>>
File: DSC_0124.jpg (494 KB, 1004x1500) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0124.jpg
494 KB, 1004x1500
OP here.
Probably need to give the bladder a good wash, don't know how many british soldiers wanked in it before it got sold off.
>>
>>715851
>but I'm worried I'll look like a fag desu.

Buy a regular backpack, and put your bladder inside it. Most hiking/camping packs now come with an area for storing water bladders, with holes for the tubing.
>>
I use pic related, costed 7 euros and holds 3 liters, I carry it inside my 22l backpack, it has a sleeve type thing where you put it and a special opening for the tube to pass.
>>
File: 89762713.jpg (109 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
89762713.jpg
109 KB, 400x400
>>715991
>because you want extra weight while carrying thick glass buttles. daft as a brush
>>
>>716676
>gatorade bottles
>glass
is this a brazilian thing or...
>>
File: GatoradeOriginalGlassBottle.jpg (14 KB, 172x231) Image search: [Google]
GatoradeOriginalGlassBottle.jpg
14 KB, 172x231
>>716678
He boils his water in it. I assume the bottles aren't made from plastics.
>>
>>716687
yeah, yeah that's a good point. i just never saw one.
>>
>>716690
its a brazilian thing
>>
>>716687
You can boil water in a plastic bottle though.
>>
File: 1323452684865.jpg (283 KB, 1616x915) Image search: [Google]
1323452684865.jpg
283 KB, 1616x915
I haven't used my bladder in months because I forgot all about it. Now there is mold. If I buy one of those tabs that I need to put in to sit and then rinse out. Will I effectively get rid of the mold without needing to get one of those brush sets?
>>
File: camelbak lobo.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
camelbak lobo.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
bought this for biking cause it can hold a helmet. CB bladders are the best ive tried. The one that came w/ my cheap teton pack was unusable and my pllatypus hoser got maggots in it.
>>
File: widepac-hydration-system.jpg (33 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
widepac-hydration-system.jpg
33 KB, 800x800
I really like my Source bladders. My older Camelbak was a pain to clean and you couldn't take the hose off. I contemplated getting a new one when they came out a few years ago, but bought the source on a whim. They've never leaked and are super easy to clean.
>>
>>715896
Saw 10 runners standing around Camelbak at the start of a run trying to work out why no water was coming out.

I stepped in and rescued the day.
>>
Well i just purchase a cheap 10$ hydration bag, what could go wrong? Im not planing to use it for longer.
>>
>>715852
>burst or puncture
Dat surgical grade silicone of camelbak bladders though. Don't know/care about others. Also, who has EVER heard of a good bladder bursting? If they're in a case they're really tough bro.
>>
>>716951
You'll want to brush it. You can get a snake from Amazon for like 6 bucks (aquarium products) and a baby bottle brush from the dollar store if you can't afford the kit. The tabs work great and will probably kill it, but I'd rather have it gone so you know if it's coming back.
>>
>>717164
Same reason I went with the platypus Big Zip, easier to keep clean
>>
>>717703
I've had two good bladders split at the seams, albeit after several years of use. They don't last forever.
>>
>>717720
You must be rough on them or something. I've never had a camelbak or my military "hydration source" bladder burst, and the latter went through some abuse.
>>
>>717708
Thanks anon.
>>
>>716951
buy a new one and never ever put anything but water into it.you will not get mold.
>>
I bought one of those milsurp Camelbak backpacks a while ago. It came with a brand new bladder, but it leaked from the cap the first time I used it. Does anyone know of a bladder brand that doesn't fucning suck?

I just use a canteen now.
>>
>>717908
I put nothing but water in it. I learned my lesson when I was 13.
>>
>>716676
no, i use the light weight plastic gatorade bottles. or a nalgene bottle.
the plastic on the bottom of them is thick enough to boil water over a fire without melting.
it's probably not the safest/healthiest thing to do, but it will keep you alive in a pinch.

i use a mechanical filter to purify my water. chlorine tabs when it's too cold for a mechanical filter. or i bring some extra fuel, a bigger pot, and boil snow when it's really cold.

these are all common ultralight tactics, there is no reason to bring water into the woods.
>>
>>716100
dry environment advice: go drive out and bury a bunch of water bottles along the way before your hike, if you're doing anything extreme.
if you're dayhiking just bring a disposable water bottle or w/e
>>
>>717962
few drops of chlorine bleach in the pouch, shake and let sit for a day. works wit my coffee mug
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.