[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you anons own your land? How much do you have, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
Do any of you anons own your land?
How much do you have, and how did you acquire it?
>>
>>715245
I'm part of a 193 million acre land share where we each pay an amount relative to our incomes. We rarely bump into each other.
>>
File: camp.jpg (81 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
camp.jpg
81 KB, 960x540
>>715245
i dont personally own it but its our family's property. i hope to inherit it someday so i can live there permanently
>>
I own 5.5 acres adjacent to a National Forest so I practically have thousands of miles of backyard. I worked like a slave and saved almost every penny living with my Dad until I was 24. I had $160K saved and put $100K down on the house I purchased for $314K. It was already equipped with solar panels and a natural spring well. It also has wood stove for heating but it does have central air I use for AC in the Summer. My monthly costs average about $1,500 a month. This doesn't include gas, health insurance, etc. just things related to my home such as insurance, taxes, utilities, groceries, etc. I take home almost $4,000 a month so it's all great. I wish had more acreage for my own private use and I wish it was a log cabin instead of a vinyl rectangle box rancher style home but I'm still very happy.

I've created my own trails to the NF trails and Rangers haven't bitched about it. I work in pest control and help out a lot taking care of bees nests and pest problems around camp sites and shelters. I take my dog on hikes every weekend and have lunch at shelters meeting a bunch of new hunters, fishermen, and your hipster hikers. My dog loves the attention. On my own property, I have my house, a shed I built for firewood storage, and it came with a large workshop that I had to fix up a bit. It holds my lawn equipment, ATV, and random junk I store for my Dad. I grow veggies and planted a few fruit trees. Planning on planting some blackberry and honeysuckle bushes. Thinking of getting some chickens so I can have eggs to feed my dog instead of buying dog food at the store. Are eggs good for dogs?
>>
>>715297
I think your dog would be better suited to eating the chickens than surviving just on eggs alone. Eat the eggs yourself, buy your dog food. Don't want your dog's health to suffer bro.
>>
>>715306

Yeah true. How long does it take for chickens to go from baby to ready for slaughter? I was thinking of getting 50-100 chickens but I don't think that would be enough alone.
>>
>>715245
47 acres
I won it in a high risk game of cards.
>>
>>715340

What would you have lost had the game gone in the other guy's favor?
>>
>>715350
My anal virginity.
>>
>>715350
Car, but I lost it anyway to another guy in the next hand. Now we just play for DIY chores to do for the other person.
>>
>>715245
I own 80 acres in southern Indiana. Mostly woods that have not been logged in at least 50 years, small spring fed creek that stays wet year round. 10 or so acres of cleared ground with some fruit trees and berry plants.

Loads of deer and turkey and squirrels to shoot at. Mink, raccoons galore, possums, some coyote.

There is a delapidated log cabin and barn that I need to clear off so I can build a livable cabin on the space, just saving up the funds.

Acquired via a friendly relationship with an old ass farmer, I was given first dibs on it from his estate. Cost me most of my savings but well worth it.
>>
Does anyone have any tips for finding a reasonably priced piece of land to buy?

Using realtors and searching online in the region I live in returns jack shit. Everything though a realtor is extremely expensive and most of their listings are fresh subdivision lots, not (reasonably) wild land.

Are there other channels I can talk to people in or look through?
>>
>>715466

LandWatch and Zillow show most if not all listings. Could also contact farmers. Not all of their land is farm land. They may own a few tracts of wooded land that they have no use for and would sell it because they need the money.
>>
I had a nice house and 10 acres in Northern Michigan, but lost it all in a divorce. Just bought a house with one acre in west Michigan, close in a couple weeks. It's not much, but it'll do for now.
>>
File: easttexas.jpg (43 KB, 510x382) Image search: [Google]
easttexas.jpg
43 KB, 510x382
>be 18, living in east Texas
>making $18 an hour welding
>saving up living with parents for a couple of years
>after that gunna by as many acres as possible, get a little trailer and live alone
>in the middle of nowhere where it's cheap af
what does /out/ think? Pic related, it's the kinda land I'd be getting
>>
>>715309
About 8 weeks if you raise cornish cross chicks. Longer for red ranger chicks.
>>
>>715369
Fellow Hoosier SC/out, are you South East or West? I'm about 20 minutes outside of Indy but I have been looking at land in the southern part of the state. Are the property taxes reasonable since you have a "liveable" building on your land?
>>
>>715518
Solid plan, young lad. Don't quit your job doe
>>
File: properteh.jpg (329 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
properteh.jpg
329 KB, 960x720
My dad owns about 80ish acres of hills / mountains in Kentucky near West Virginia. Practically all of it is forest. The rest of the family owns all of the neighboring land, so we practically own 200+ acres all combined. There's two houses on my dad's land, and a few old barns scattered here and there. There's also a few houses and trailers on the neighboring land.

We have a few lifetimes worth of natural gas, and we own the well. It heats the houses. There used to be a good sized orchard in the backyard, we had 3 or so peach trees, 4 apples, and a pear tree. We have family living in the house, and they've managed to start a pretty good sized garden with corn, melons, peppers, etc.

We used to have well water, but switched over to a direct "city" line. There's also a small spring near a coal bank, about 10-20 minutes up the mountain from the house. There's a few very old logging roads as well, which helps when you navigate through there, since it's very dense forest.

There's a really old cemetery at the top of the hill mountain, some of the graves are just marked with big stones. There were a few WWII vets, I think there was a WWI vet, and an unknown amount of civil war vets. Some of the stones are illegible now, the oldest death date I could see was 1890, if memory serves me correct. It's kind of eerie when you go up there, because it's completely overgrown and forgotten. But at the same time, it's very peaceful. I think that's where I want to be buried. There's also another family cemetery on the property.

I want to build a shack or cabin up there when I retire, and homestead. I could easily heat the house with a gas stove, and a backup wood stove. Solar panels may be tricky though, since there's practically a giant canopy from the trees. I could raise chickens, sell firewood, maybe fur trap, and live off my retirement. It's heaven on earth. 60 minute car ride to town. 3 quiet neighbors too.

>blocking faces because they're not mine
>>
>>715603

How much would it cost to buy land there? I have a budget of $350K and around my area (Virginia), I'm lucky to get a 2,000+ square foot house on anymore than 15 acres. I'm looking for 30+ acre house that is adjacent to a National Forest.
>>
>>715608
>2000+ sqft house
>2000+
For what purpose?
>>
>>715608
I have no idea. The land that he owns was inherited by his uncle (who owns the neighboring land) My dad bought the land off of him before I was born.

His uncle was in need of some cash, he was going through a divorce, so my dad bought it off of him. The land and house were very special to my dad, because his grandfather owned it originally. His grandfather was practically his father figure, my dad grew up in a really shitty household. (alcoholic parents, abuse, etc.). Unfortunately, cancer got to my great grandfather, and he passed away. He was apparently the guy who was holding the entire family together. He was THE guy that everyone loved. Down to the earth, and practically raised everyone. (I never got to meet him, sadly).

The land itself was probably government land at some point, and my great grandfather bought it up for cheap.

But to answer your question,
>I have absolutely no idea.
>>
>>715250
so, you hope your parents/ grand parents die soon?
you are a horible person.
>>
>>715624
Not that guy but I'm gen Y. Can't wait for my baby boomer parents to die.
>>
>>715297
Dogs are actually omnivores, and their kidneys couldn't handle the protein from an all egg diet. Even feeding cat food to a dog longterm is a bad idea because of too much protein.
>>
My parents own 22 acres of the worst ag land imaginable, basically a small flood plain of crab grass and denuded overgrazed scrub right on a main road.
But there is one nice hill, and then there is the house with a nice backyard veg garden and a few decent outbuildings.

I want to permanently flood the lower field and get my ma's horses to absolute fuck as they've been the cause of a massive erosion problem.
I also want to rip swales into the nice hill and plant up a coppice, maybe some black locust.

I also own a very small lot at an intentional community nearby which I haven't done anything with yet. I'm thinking a tiny A-frame cabin and small kitchen garden. We have a shared veg plot over there and I've got my eye on another.
>>
File: image.jpg (514 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
514 KB, 1936x1936
>>715369
>>715526
Another Indiana anon.
25 acres near Lafayette
Purchased at a land auction, old farmers family was selling the farm. The track I purchased was Not prime farmland, so I was able to buy it for $3700 per acre,
I get $200 per year in farm subsidies from the gubment.
I have 10 acres in alfalfa and this payed $2100 last year.
5 cows on the other 15 acres that I hope to make about $2000 per cow this fall.
I paid for it because instead of buying a depreciating $40k truck I make due with a $5k used truck.
I don't waste money on dope, strippers, designer clothes or credit cards.
Other than the land, I pay for my stuff in cash to avoid interest fees.
>>
>>715245
I have little lands with little trees on them.

somebody wants me to sell them. I do not know if I sell or not.

all the lands together are less than 1 hectare and you cannot build houses on them. they are in some countryside town with 1000 inhabitants.
>>
>>715628

Baby boomers: handing their kids a shit sandwich and calling them entitled since 1945
>>
Own my house in Phoenix, land in cherry, crown king and sedona arizona.

By working really fucking long and hard hours at specialized trades.
>>
>>715603
Land in southeast KY is cheap. There are reasons why though. Flat land is hard to come by unless reclaimed strip job. If you buy acreage its going to be mostly mountainside. You have to live in SE Kentucky. Its getting ridiculously bad there. Drug (pills and meth) use is rampant. As a result crime has increased. Not violent crimes, just thieving assholes. My in laws still live in SE KY. They own 200+ acres. About 20 acres is rolling hills, rest is mountainside. Recently a 120 acre plot of land came up for sale near them. It sold for 90,000 IIRC.
Oh and the job market sucks there now. Once the coal mines closed and unemployment skyrocketed everything started closing.
>>
>>716500
Yep. That's why I plan on retiring there, and building a shack in the mountains. Hopefully people won't know where I am in the mountains, and they'll leave me alone. The area that we're around is getting worse, but it's a total shitshow in town. Hopefully things there will get better. We can only hope that pill heads will overdose and off themselves (they're literally scum). I've had family members live that way, they're not alive anymore.
>>
>>715297
By this description. You got fucking ripped off. >1500 a month for utlitys. 300k for something without any real heater. Only 5 acres for 300k. Lmao fool.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.