[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bad health + out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1435244102832.jpg (21 KB, 552x687) Image search: [Google]
1435244102832.jpg
21 KB, 552x687
I am curious, does anyone here have bad health that hinders you from trekking through hilly mountain paths at a consistent pace? Not out of shape, like bad heart, lungs, back, butt, bent dick or anything that would really fuck your shit straight up.

How is taking everything /SLOW/?
>>
>>715244
After thirteen years of smoking a pack or two of cigarettes every day and only being active when actually out, my heart is about ready to pop. I probably won't see it coming.
>>
The wife has had bradycardia and syncope from low bp since we started dating. She had a pacemaker placed almost a year ago. It cut the frequency of her pass out spells in half, so hopefully we can do more backpacking. So all we do is rent campsites at a local lake 2-3 times each month during the summer. We both love camping. It is just we cannot be too remote. It is a less used area so we rarely see other campers. Otherwise she's in great health. We just can't be out in the middle of nowhere and have her hit the ground.
>>
I smoke too, so..... sucks
>>
>>715244
I have asthma, sometimes when hiking up steep inclines I have to take a lot of breaks.

I also can get really bad allergies from pollen/mold/grass ect. but I just plow through it
>>
I got into backpacking when I was 350lb because I wanted to lose weight and I didn't want to be surrounded by people in the gym. I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it because I was in an accident when I was 14 that left my right knee fucked up. I also have diabetes and was worried I couldn't keep my sugar levels high with the exhaustion and blackout waking up to a bear chewing on my fatass. I went from barely being able to complete 2 mile loops in state parks to being 230lb now going on 10-15 mile day 3 day hiking trips in the national forest carrying 40lb of gear. I also got into fishing and bought a Ruger 10/22 to hunt small game. I've also stepped my grilling level up and have become more confident. I also adopted a dog from a shelter and he's my best buddy and goes on every trip. He loves getting attention when we stop at shelters for snacks or lunch. I grew up sitting inside playing video games 24/7 and I regret it every day. Being /out/ is the best feeling you can have.
>>
>>715244
I am completely deaf, no sense of smell and totally colorblind
I go backpacking all the time, but I have to have a companion
Can hear if animals people near, can't smell fires or animals
I have a genetic condition, I am also 6'6", 300lbs but wear a size 6 shoe, extra wide trying to find boots really sucks
Sleeping bags, backpacks and tents don't fit, glad my mom is a great seamstress, she can modify almost anything
Used to have a service dog and could hike alone with her, but she got cancer and passed away, I am on a waiting list for a new one
Still with all the limitations, waking up exhausted in Glacier National Park makes it worth all the effort
>>
File: 1427430139214.gif (281 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
1427430139214.gif
281 KB, 500x383
I have a heart that has extra too much muscle going on.

Not suppooooose to be doing a lot of physical activity, but it is okay most of it time. I go really slow and pace myself well. Once hills start showing up I struggle a lot and lose blood pressure. I have not fainted yet, so that is great. Though if I exert myself I have to rest else I get chest pain.

If I am with a group of people and there is a BEAR ATTACK everyone else is guaranteed to escape. I will show up a week later with a bear suit.
>>
>>715571
Some seriously positive shit right there. Glad to hear you're doing alright, anon.
>>
I have Osteopetrosis.
Luckily it's a relatively mild strain so I am not just a huddled mass of deformed bone.

My bone break and shatter like glass when they do. And ly right legs slightly shorter then the other due to multiple breaks. Which can make my hips and back hurt if I'm carrying too much

But that keeps me mindful of the pack weight.

Still the prospect of falling and breaking both my legs or something terrifies me a bit. Not much to do about it other then hike with a buddy
>>
>>715595
>brittle bones
>fat
>ginger
You really pulled the short genetic straw. Try to fix the fat part at least.
>>
>>715244
I have epilepsy and I'd get partial seizures like every day but I never let it stop me from canoe tripping, fishing and hiking!
>>
>>715244
Crohn's disease, but I'll shit on the side of the trail if I have to
>>
>>715724
I'm not fat. He types, on an Internet image board. But I'm not full ginger only the beard which I can't decide is better or worse

But over all yea I got dealt a pretty shit hand
>>
I was hit by a car as a kid (Not even being a dumb kid, I was on my front lawn and the guy hit another car, bounced on the sidewalk, and took me out)

It messed me up pretty good (broken jaw, 5 ribs, left arm, left wrist, but worst of it all it shattered my left leg) decades later I can hike for 1-2 hours but around that 2.5 hour mark my leg starts to really hurt. By 3-4 hours, I am done for the day.

Kind of sucks. Basically makes it so I can only hike 8-10 miles before having to stop for the day
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.