[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How /out/ is your city?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
File: IMG_20160213_111649.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160213_111649.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
For all you who live in large metropolitan areas, how /out/ is your city? I know not everyone here lives the /out/ dream of complete self sufficiency and isolation in the woods.

I live in the San Francisco area.
Pros:
>a lot of woods and nature close to the city, makes it easy to get away quickly.
>wide variety of outdoor environments with a several hour's drive- desert, forest, mountains, coastline, meadow, etc.
>pretty good solitude in some natural areas, so long as you don't go during peak times to popular easy places.
>possible to live in the woods and still commute to work in the city

Cons:
>lots of traffic, makes it hard to get away
>expensive unless you live in a shitty neighborhood
>some natural areas crowded with fuckers (Marin headlands)
>natural areas are dispersed, making only a few sites within an hour of SF suitable for backpacking

So where do you live and how /out/ is it?
>>
>coastal Oregon mountains
>national forest 10 mins away
>Mt hood an hour away
>Columbia river gorge 90 mins
>lucky
>>
>>715030
San Diego

Lots of desert, but too hot for the desert
Some mountains
Mostly developed coastline
>>
>>715030
I live in Portsmouth, UK. One of the most densely populated cities in the UK. Thankfully we're close to the sea so I get to go out sailing quite often.
>>
Small town surrounded by National Forest

>Pros
Plenty of woods to fuck around in.
Lots of small ponds and lakes.
Cold winters but relatively dry.

>Cons
Job market is shit. Nothing but Mexican tier manufacturing jobs and lumber yards.
Housing is awful. For anything less than $350K, you are just going to get a rectangle box with a porch and maybe garage. Not much style.
The fishing isn't that great in the ponds and lakes.
Hunting can be dull. Not allowed to hunt bear. Nothing else but weak little deer and turkey. Small game is minimal as well.
Hot humid Summers full of mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers.
Alcoholic rednecks everywhere.

If you enjoy being poor and don't mind shitty fishing and hunting experiences, then you may enjoy it here. I'm saving to move to a Rocky Mountain state. Thinking of Colorado near Colorado Springs.
>>
South Wales
Loads of hills and valleys on doorstep
Can walk dog for hours on them without seeing another person
Forestry mountains and national parks just minutes away
Cons
Hunting is not the best and with our gun laws a .22 air rifle is the best I can get
Although I do have a 175lb crossbow and a few regular bows, bow hunting is illegal
>>
File: 3625391239.jpg (659 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
3625391239.jpg
659 KB, 1024x683
Rural part of western Sweden
>surrounded by woods
>lakes everywhere
>an hours drive to the sea
>>
File: 1432507124798.jpg (16 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
1432507124798.jpg
16 KB, 480x800
My hometown in Northern Norway called KabelvÄg,the town itself is over a thousand years old. It has last big breadinggrond for cod in the world and government want to look for oil...Also has some of the oldest mountains in the world by over 3billion years.
>>
>>715413
Also standing on a breakwater and there is vast ocean behind me.
>>
File: mapaFlorianopolis[1].jpg (276 KB, 796x1392) Image search: [Google]
mapaFlorianopolis[1].jpg
276 KB, 796x1392
If you have a car, somewhat as the trails are far. I want to buy a 2nd hand kayak to go to nearby islands. I don't have a car : (
>>
I live in fucking amarillo, tx.
Ain't shit out here. Moved from boulder, CO.
there is a national park 20 min. Away that I can backpack at tho.
Fishing is shitish, there's a few good holes but I miss boulder.
>>
>>715420

Very emotional poem
>>
>>715030

Nice pic, Seacliff is pretty rad. Have you gone to see the shipwreck at Salinas River? I like that area a little better as there is usually more wildlife and less people.
>>
>>715428
I'm writing a professional chinese haiku writer.
>>
Manchester UK
Shitty city but the Peak District and the Lake district are very easy to get to.
Peak District is only 30 minutes drive from the city centre, it's like entering another world.
>>
asheville

wherever i am i am out
>>
I live in a rain forest on an island in the pacific ocean with my wife, daughter and friends.
>>
>>715510
i've heard good things but sadly never got to go
>>
>>715429
Been to the Salinas river but had no idea there was a shipwreck there. Went kayaking a few years ago right around there (elkhorn slough) and it was pretty neat. Got tailed by a seal for almost an hour, lots of wildlife. Picture in OP was just a random /out/ photo I took a few weeks ago, seacliff can get a bit busy but it's still nice there
>>
File: IMG_7984-2016-02-28 (Medium).jpg (101 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7984-2016-02-28 (Medium).jpg
101 KB, 1024x768
>>715030
Toronto

There's a fair bit of nature for hiking and mountain biking right in the city, if you know where to go. If you have a kayak or something there's lots to see along the waterfront too. I can put my bike on the GO train/bus to go riding in the country, without having to drive/ride through the suburbs first.

But it's the middle of the most densely populated part of Canada. Traffic is awful, and it's surrounded by suburbs that are surrounded by farmland that's surrounded by summer cottages, so it's a long ass drive to the woods for real camping (still way better than most of Europe though). Closest mountains are across the border in New York State.
>>
>>715877
ya i live just north of Toronto and I don't have a car so I haven't been up north yet. but i got a nice patch of woods where the terrain is to extreme for something to be build on, and nobody goes into, so it's pretty much mine to explore.
>>
File: Capitol-project-map-LG[1].jpg (267 KB, 1861x700) Image search: [Google]
Capitol-project-map-LG[1].jpg
267 KB, 1861x700
Edmonton AB Canada. Largest uninterrupted urban parkland in North America (7400 Hectares) and I live 2 blocks from it. Shit's cash - sometimes it seems like you're not even in the city anymore.

The drive to Jasper and Banff national parks is not too bad either (~4 hours)
>>
>>715877
i live in orangeville, grew up in Grand Valley farmer/commuter town of 1600 people. two big gravel pits filled with cool trails for biking and motorbikes and also have parties and blow shit up. not enough work and got bored of seeing the same faces all the time so moved to my own place in orangeville when i was 18... im 10 minutes from Mono provincial park which is awesome for mountain biking. will be doing some rock climbing this summer there too.

two hours from muskoka which is my fave place so far
>>
File: 20150805_192231.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150805_192231.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>716018
>>
>>715713

Rad, I've kayaked there before a few times as well. I saw a pretty big jellyfish just under the surface there once, but I didn't get a good pic.
>>
>>715295
no. fucking. way. I'm from there originally. Now I live in Grenoble in France, so I get to do all the mountains
>>
>>715295
no. fucking. way. I'm from there!
>>
SW VA. Got the jefferson and washington national forests to go /out/. Some decent little lakes and streams to go fishing. Some nice class III and IV rivers nearby for whitewater kayaking. Got some nice Mountain Bike trails nearby as well. Got about a 7 hour drive to the ocean is really the only downside.
The town I live in is small (pop. around 4000). I hate metro areas. Lived in Louisville for 2 years. Fucking hated it. I currently own 14 acres with a little 1 acre pond. Hoping to buy the adjoining property soon (owned by a coal corporation). Talked with their land manager and he seemed like the corp. would be willing to sell since the coal buissness is so shit right now. It will give me another 24 acres and a 5 acre pond.
>>
>>716018
Only thing I know about Grand Valley is the Chop House.
>>
File: sg-harbour7_normal.jpg (58 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
sg-harbour7_normal.jpg
58 KB, 640x427
Pic related.

>Cons.
Takes at least an hour to get anywhere out of the city

>Pros
Lots of great places to go. That 1hr+ trip is definitely worth it. Blue Mountains, Royal and Kuringgai NPs are great. The further you go, the better it gets.
Many great little gullies, beaches and tracks of remnant forest tucked away within the city
>>
File: HomeSweetHome.jpg (465 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
HomeSweetHome.jpg
465 KB, 1280x853
Vernon BC.
It's pretty good all year round. It has just about the full range of outdoor activities year round within a half hour of town. Ski hill with more than a hundred runs 20 clicks from downtown and a mountain bike lift in the summer, nice lakes all over the place with good, dry camping in the summer and less bugs than further north.

The biggest downside is it sometimes gets pretty smoky from forest fires.
>>
>>716851
i can't even look at sydney without having to quell an anxiety attack. sydney is the love of my life, and it's my home. it's where my friends are, and where the man i love(d) is. i lived there for 5 years and i probably won't ever see it again. fuck you man :c
>>
Victoria BC
Good for kayaking/boating, and going /out/..
if you drive out of vic a bit that is...

We do have the west coast trail and brooks peninsula would be a pretty neat place to visit.
For those on the island that don't know, it apparently "survived" the last ice age and is not accessible by vehicle also a treacherous walk(all bushwhacking).
I'm going to try paramotoring in around some lake or something.
It also holds many unidentified plant/animal species, as well as possible relics from the tribes that are believed to have lived there ages ago.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 550x412
>>715030
Well, my city is one of the very few places where basically the whole beach has public parking and access. All of the hotels and condos are built across the street. Every other city in the area, the beachfront is lined with high rise condos and hotels and public access and parking is limited to one small area so it is a pain in the ass to get to the beach unless you live directly on it.

I guess that makes my city nice and /out/.
>>
>>716957
Get back to your truck.
>>
>>716920
Camped at haddo lake, south of lumby, two summers ago - very nice.
On the way in ( we were camping for 2 weeks prior) stopped and took a shower at the rec centre in vernon and this old dude was gawking at my tats and im feeling pretty bad ass, then i turn around and this other old fucker had his dick head pierced and im like holy fuck
>>
>>716972
But it's Saturday! And I'm taking Monday off. So probably Tuesday I will be back in the fuck truck.
>>
>>716010
>but, its alberta.
>>
>>716975
Up there on the plateau the climate reminds me more of north/central BC compared to down in the valley. It's actually a good way to get some relief from the heat in the summer.
>>
>>716019
is that Muskoka or mono Provincial park,
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.