[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Air mattress while camping? What's the deal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: camp-mat-camp-1024x686.jpg (236 KB, 1024x686) Image search: [Google]
camp-mat-camp-1024x686.jpg
236 KB, 1024x686
I recently picked up an air mattress (not pic related) for cheap because I figured I could use it for college or a guest later down the road.

"Oh hey, I could also use this for camping."
"Anon, what kind of pussy brings an air mattress for camping? Just sleep on the ground"

Do air mattresses really have that bad of a "pussy can't handle the outdoors" reputation? I mean it's not like I'm using bedsheets and bringing a coffee table with me. I just use it as a layer between my sleeping bag and the ground so my whole right side isn't numb when I wake up.
>>
>>714646
I used one, its good for really hot and humid climates.. Honestly is better too if you have stomach issues and can't lay flat. besides a cot. its the next best thing..

but theres an even smaller market for adjustable cots, that don't take up too much physical space. I rarely overnight camp any more cause of my medical issues.
>>
>>714646
> Just sleep on the ground
This friend of yours is going to end up killing himself through hypothermia or destroy his back
>>
>>714672
He meant just sleeping on the ground with a sleeping bag, but still. I thought the same thing.
>>
>>714646
There is nothing wrong with an air mattress
You just have to be careful or they develop leaks

I use an big heavy air mattress for car camping
I use a small light one for backpacking
>>
>>714687
>I use a small light one for backpacking

Me too. Was thinking about getting one of those foam foldable ones. Anyone had any experience with them in rocky terrains?
>>
>>715354
I don't know how new and expensive ones fare, but I have a rather old one... It is almost nothing. Even on regular ground it's just one step above "hard". Will use air matress or any other padding in the future. Also, comparatively heavy, foam can get moldy, etc.
>>
File: 61ZKalfFH4L._SX355_.jpg (14 KB, 355x316) Image search: [Google]
61ZKalfFH4L._SX355_.jpg
14 KB, 355x316
>>715359
Air mattresses get moldy too. Moisture from your breath when you breath into them.
>>
>>714646
>"Anon, what kind of pussy brings an air mattress for camping? Just sleep on the ground"

The kind of person who doesn't give a fuck about other people's insecurities and people who want to fuck without grinding their knees or hip into some hard ground.
>>
I've heard the same thing OP.

It comes from people who have never actually slept outdoors.

OP if you want a good pad for many years, get an inflatable pad (thermarest neoair or nemo Astro insulated etc)

If you're poor get a closed cell pad. (z-lite sol or whatever).

You combo both types for winter or lend one to a girl sometime.

Self-inflating foam pads are becoming kind of redundant now and personally I would buy a quality inflatable instead
>>
I just bring those egg carton looking foam pads you can buy for mattresses. They are cheap and pack tighter than air mattresses. I lay my sleeping bag on them. I don't like carrying inflating mattresses because you can hardly deflate them enough to pack them back into the sack they came with. They are also prone to links, mildew, and mold. My foam roll is cheap and replaceable. It also makes thick smoke for a signal fire if the need arises.
>>
I have the folding egg carton looking foam pad and was surprised with how warm it keeps me. My last pad was of the self inflating variety and it quickly developed leaks and weighed more.
I'd definitely give my friends shit if they suggested bringing a full size air mattress, but we give each other shit about everything. If you're car camping or trying to bang somebody it's understandable. I'd still rather walk 15 miles and sleep in my bivvy, to each his own.
>>
>>715465
What brand is it? I want to get one.
>>
>>715477

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1.5-Memory-Foam-Combo-Mattress-Topper/17057120

I go with the Twin XL. It lasts me throughout the hiking season. I usually replace once or twice a year. You could so go for a foam mat they use at the gym or for yoga. It's good enough for me. I carry a travel pillow as well and sometimes use my jacket for lumbar support if I'm sleeping on rocks. But it's nothing but pine for miles here and the ground is usually soft and comfy.
>>
>>715482
Thanks man. Appreciate it.
>>
>>714646
you can sleep on the ground is summer in dry climates reasonably well if you pack a synthetic sleeping bag that is rated to 30 for a 50 degree night, but you will hurt your back.

EVERY savvy hiker or camper uses a pad for insulation value, and small inflatable pads are less bulky and more insulating than foam ones.

your friend is a retard
>>
Just get a thermarest. If you live anywhere it gets a little cold at night, you don't want to just sleep on the ground. And they pack down great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I6R0WC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005I6R0WC&linkCode=as2&tag=0241-20&linkId=EZXZHPOOI3WMYFRQ
>>
>>715360
Just leave the cap open when u store it ...
>>
I gave up on air mattress decades ago, as they ALWAYS leaked and in cold weather, will suck the heat out of you. I used a Thermarest self-inflating pad for years until a couple of years ago, when my knees degraded to the point that getting down and back up off a pad hurt too much, so I switched to a Cabela’s Lounge Cot.
>>
>>715931
That looks heavy... Do you hike with it?
>>
>>717360
At 10kg I doubt he's hiking with that monster on his back.
>>
>>714646
I have used air mattress that are pretty big when camping in festivals because it doesn't really matter there, people bring all kinds of goofy stuff and get drunk.

But yes, air mattress looks goofy in a normal hiking/camping trip. I don't bring it there. Well if you don't like sleeping on the ground there is always the hammock option or the air mattress that is actually built for outdoor use that are still somewhat slim and aren't huge, those don't look so goofy.

>>714682
>just sleeping on the ground with a sleeping bag
you still an insulating layer between your sleeping bag and the ground because the cold ground will lead cold straight through that sleeping bag
>>
I grew up camping on $10 Walmart air matresses. Nothing wrong with them for car camping. Actually surprisingly comfortable. They are for summer only as they do cool you down quite a bit, but that's a plus on hot summer nights.

I now use hammocks exclusively, but if I were still on the ground I'd have a thermarest xtherm. I've heard they're amazing. Warm and comfortable while weighing very little.
>>
>>715931
shill detected. 100% no camper would lug that around.
>>
>>717512
Not all campers are backpackers.

Car camping is more popular than backpacking.

I'm a backpacker. I understand car campers have different needs.
>>
>>715360
what's wrong with mold inside?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.