[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/. There must be some people around here that can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 2014-06-16-image-6.jpg (318 KB, 800x484) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-16-image-6.jpg
318 KB, 800x484
Hey /out/.
There must be some people around here that can't be satisfied with Google Maps/Earth satellite maps.
I was wondering if there would be a way to obtain recent-ish, high resolution (1m or better) sattelite maps (of a small area) without paying a few $k (free, preferably).
Does something like this exist for a common citizen like me, or am i just looking for something unrealistic?
>>
bumping cause I want to know also. Garmin birdseye cost $$$ and is no better than Google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B7ypA1fSwU
>>
Check your local govt. My state's (AZ) game and fish has a GIS service with satellite/map/watershed etc. Info. Also CalTopo has several different map types and I used to make a personalized map for my last hunting trip
>>
>>714356

http://www.terraserver.com/
>>
>>714453
Hey, that ain't bad, thank you m8.
Do you have any other sources?
>>
>>714453
Too bad you've got to pay for the good stuff though
>>
>>714424
Caltopo maps are just usgs topo maps so not very useful. I'm not OP, but what I really need are high resolution views of the landscape, because the area I backpack/hunt in is frequently burned, and being a wilderness area many of the trails and roads end up being lost to nature. About the only way to find these are by bushwhacking and taking pictures of landmarks for future hikes. it would take a lot of the guess work out I had higher quality images to pick out the traces and landmarks that denote old fire roads and such. In fact, many of the trails on usgs topo quads don't even exist anymore, so relying on them is a good way to get really lost in my part of the woods.
>>
Maybe you can make your own maps using a high altitude, high range, homemade drone with a high resolution camera on it.
This might cost a bit, but i think it's worth the investment if you can pull it off.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.