[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
am i retarded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1454880155520.jpg (74 KB, 605x807) Image search: [Google]
1454880155520.jpg
74 KB, 605x807
Weigh in on this /out/, i wanna do a 56 mi trail by myself. My only previous experience is doing a few overnight hikes to a couple mountains and doing the summits. I do this all by myself cus,i got no one to go with. Considering i feel comfortable cranking out 10 miles a day, do you think i can push it, safely, to 4 days for the whole trail? Am i just being pussy for second,guessing myself? I have all the necessary gear but idk
>>
>>713639
you're being a pussy. just do it. don't break an ankle.
>>
If it's only 56 miles AND one of your first long distance hikes, then you shouldn't be pushing yourself. Don't set a day goal, give yourself a solid 6 days just for comfort and go easy in the beginning. Any beginner can easily go 56 miles in 6 days given a minimal amount of physical preperation. Enjoy yourself! No need to rush or put unnecessary pressure!
>>
I think you can do it. If you've already done overnight hikes, you already know that hiking with a heavy pack is not at all the same thing as hiking unencumbered.

But 14 miles a day with a pack is very do-able, as long as you don't pack like a retard. Make sure you keep it as light as possible, and pack more food than you think you need (like if you think you need 4 days food, bring 6), but make it light food.

Water is the other consideration. Does the route have plenty of water sources you can draw from? Check the maps ahead of time. If there's plenty of water, you're probably good to go.
>>
Ten miles a day is ez even if you don't go ultra light. Unless you haven't got up out of a couch in the last year and aren't packing more weight on your thighs than your pack, you are underestimating yourself.

I was average build and out of shape and I averaged over 15 miles per day on the AT for a month. 2 miles per hour is a slow pace and it still only takes 5 hours for 10 miles. Your going to have a harder time trying to find something to do with the rest of your day than you are hiking.
>>
>>713639

56 miles is three days walking.

Dont be a fag, just wear good shoes
>>
>>713676
> You're going to have a harder time trying to find something to do with the rest of your day than you are hiking.

So much truth.
>>
>>713639
I would recommend you to do an overnight first, carrying the exact amount of equipment (and weight) you are planing to bring with you to the 56 mi trail. Something easy just to check where you are now.

Distance by itself doesn't say a thing. There's a lot of other variables.
>>
>>713639
IMO elevation change and terrain is gonna dictate the distance you do in a day.
>>
>>713846
>>713882
Both of these.
If you've never done an overnight trip with your pack you need to go do a weekend. Find a spot to hike out 7-8 miles or so. Something easy to do starting mid morning. You'll have plenty of time to use your gear and get comfortable with it.

The terrain of your hike and weather will affect your rate and morale. 56 miles is easy to do in a week for an experienced hiker, but trying to do it in 4 days as your first trip? No, I wouldn't recommend without a couple smaller trips. The last thing you want is to set up camp in the dark every night because you are going slower than expected.
>>
>>713639
Most of this is pretty good advice, but don't underestimate the importance of Being able to refill your water at least once or twice per day (carrying a couple liters), having good socks and shoes (I'll go ahead and shill for darntoughs) and having either an extra couple days worth of food or being able to bail off the trail easily.

You should post your gear-out. We'll tell you if you need to drop or add anything.
>>
>>714164
Thanks everyone

Ill post my gear and food when i get home
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.