[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hunting Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 14
File: IMG_23321.jpg (149 KB, 1080x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_23321.jpg
149 KB, 1080x1440
Post your kills, weapons used, greentexts if you want too.

Pic related this past rabbit season
>>
File: IMG_20160315_020517584.jpg (4 MB, 5344x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160315_020517584.jpg
4 MB, 5344x3006
Pellet grill cooked them in about 25 minutes
One of them was pretty gamey but the other was delicious
Maybe something to do with age I'm not sure
>>
File: IMG_20160315_025812095.jpg (5 MB, 5344x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160315_025812095.jpg
5 MB, 5344x3006
Smothered them in this poultry spice mix I had in my pantry
Shit was cash
>>
File: 1456962301273.jpg (25 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1456962301273.jpg
25 KB, 500x333
This thread has potential and I'm envious.
>>
Is Coyote safe to eat? I hear they carry a ton of diseases. If they are safe to eat, what do they taste like?
>>
>>712766
To be honest I usually trap when it comes to rabbits but I had seen so many of them when fog had rolled in
I'm guessing it made them confused and disperse
I just went backroading and popped them off with my Marlin .22lr when they ran in front of my truck
It just helps that I'm a good cook too
>>
>>712769

What is the best small game to hunt for food? I'm getting bored of deer hunting. Thinking of buying a Ruger 10/22 and getting into small game.

Here's the list of game available to hunt in my state.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/topic/small-game-animals
>>
File: bunny pancakes.jpg (63 KB, 613x460) Image search: [Google]
bunny pancakes.jpg
63 KB, 613x460
>>712762
>>
File: 20160314_021047.jpg (156 KB, 810x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160314_021047.jpg
156 KB, 810x1440
>>712768
I trap them and just shoot them
They remind me too much of dogs to skin or eat them but i have to get rid of them we got so many round here and they become a nuisance quick
No clue what they taste like but I assume they're safe to eat. I don't know if they're prone to diseases or parasites in particular
>>712771
Rabbit
Squirrel
Prariedog
Mink
Raccoon
>not bad if you bathe it in warm saltwater and cook it in a crock pot
Also heard beaver tastes good
>>
Is it safe to slow cook meat until it falls of the bone and then smoke the meat for preservation? I kill a lot of rabbit and squirrel and rather than burning it or giving it away, I want to cook them up for my dogs to eat. Or else what is the best way to de-bone rabbits and squirrels?
>>
>>712776
Best way to cook meat for presentation is to dehydrated it and make jerky out of it
But slow cooking and or smoking it is my favorite way imo
But my dog likes it a little on the tough side so I usually sear it until it's medium well
>>
>>712781

Do you leave the bones in it? I'd assume a dog would know how to eat the meat off the bone?
>>
>>712782
No do not leave the bones in!
Bones in small game are very fragile not like cow or pig bones that you usually give your dog, they can splinter and fracture and will very well hurt your dog
What I do is take chunks and mix it in with fish and some sort of greens
Its really hard to get my dog to eat vegetables
>>
>>712782
Depends on the dog. If you have a rodent like a Yorkie then yea, no if it's a 130lb real canine.
>>
>>712769
How do you trap rabbits? Snares, foothold, or box traps? I got one in a #1.5 foothold this year as a non target. Trap is def. too big for that animal. Other times I've caught rabbit in them coyotes beat me to it.
>>
>>712776
>>712781
Why would you give delicious rabbits and squirrels to your dogs? Are you vegan or something?

>>712768
Coyotes have a strong gaminess to them, almost putrid. They eat a lot of dead stuff. Not a choice meat, but still edible.

Everything tastes like what it eats. Squirrel tastes nutty, rabbits taste fresh, nutria tastes like muddy water. Same as fish, trout is kinda crisp, salmon is more like seafood, catfish is reminiscent of mud. Human tastes like pork, but fattier.
>>
File: wzkgorv6mqoxhjjbm8cx.png (583 KB, 800x579) Image search: [Google]
wzkgorv6mqoxhjjbm8cx.png
583 KB, 800x579
>>712912
Thing with rabbits is they ain't too smart, just get a cage and throw in some cabbage, carrots, rabbit food pellets, etc.
Come back in the morning and you should have at least 1 rabbit
Only thing I trap with snares and footholds is the smarter game like coyotes and coons
My setups are real textbook
Though the coyotes round here seem too smart for me
>setup coyote trap
>dig deep hole at an angle
>throw in some bait
>bury trap a few inches away from hole
>come back next day and the trap has gone off and the bait is gone
>thismeanswar.jpg
>catch rabbit
>skin it
>leave carcass with meat and organs intact in new hole
>bury 4 traps in diamond formation around hole
>hang possum bones on nearby fence to attract coyotes in neighboring field
>wire noose like snare in the actual hole just in case footholds don't go off
>come back next day and all the traps have been dug up and set off
>bones have been torn down
>rabbit is gone
>snare untouched
>thosecleverbastards.jfmsu
>setup cage in woods about 10 miles away
>wait there until squirrel is caught
>bring squirrel back to field
>bury 8 traps around cage
>squirrel is going apeshit
>give it a bunch of nuts and hang bones on fence again
>shit looks like a minefield
>those coyotes gonna git got
>come back next day
>expect to have several trapped coyotes
>all 8 traps have been dug up and set off
>I lose my shit
>sound like a madman
>cage has been dragged
>caught under fence
>squirrel is gone
>no holes in cage
>cage is fine
>throw possum bones over fence
>give the bird to the coyotes
>>
>>713051

I don't like rodent meat. Deer and fish for me.
>>
>>712762
I eat all my meat well done. Its good practice while /out/. Getting some horrible sickness that makes your butthole spew shit like you just drank a gallon of that nasty powder they give you before a colonoscopy..

Tho I'm wondering about fish. You freeze fish because it makes sure the parasites are dead.. And they say cooking fish may not kill all the parasites.. Im generally confused by this.. I thought some parasites can withstand extreme cold. But none could withstand extreme heat.
>>
>>713434
It's only important to freeze fish if you are eating raw fish (sashimi, ceviche).

As for cooked fish, it may have a higher chance of parasites because you generally cook fish much less than other meats because fish over-cooks easily and tastes shitty when over-cooked.

Fish are so different than us that their parasites are generally not a concern though.
>>
>>713422
Jesus, Wily indeed.
So, suburbanite here, how would you go about killing a caged squirrel without a gun? Total barbarian mode seems like leather gloves and a twist would do the trick, but any other ideas?

I am sick and tired of these vermin ruining my garden, and some of them look like they could feed my entire family, the fat bastards.
>>
>>713443
Pellet gun
>>
File: Images_(1).jpg (2 KB, 287x176) Image search: [Google]
Images_(1).jpg
2 KB, 287x176
>>713422
Sounds like a skinwalker
>>
>>713601
i wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>713442
So do you know if maybe soaking your fish in a salt brine for like idk 2 hours. would be enough to kill any parasites? My issue here is I've gotten parasites before from SOMETHING food related, and never again, was the worst thing ever getting rid of them. so you can say im afraid of them. but carrying ice with me while /out/ for a day or two on my motorcycle just ain't gonna happen, a pound of salt, and a large container or something is more reasonable.. just curious on what I could do to pre-kill any possible parasite. besides over cooking as you said and that just makes it taste super fishy.
>>
>>713443
Two ways... leather glove, and grab them by the tail and as hard as you can, swing their asses into a tree...

second way, leather glove, and a broom handle, pen them down from the back of the head, with the broom handle going across. and step on the boom handle, and quickly and in a swift motion grab the back legs and yank upwards.

that's if you can catch them, if not. this.
>>713595
>>
>>712762
hunting is for hedonists who live in fear of dying.
>>
>>713651
>only an idiot doesn't fear his own inevitable complete impotence
or a woman
>>
>>713625
I kind of doubt a brine would help, at least whole fish. You could filet the fish, and then brine the filets and it might be more effective.

But listen, I don't think you need to be concerned about the fish. Probably like 99% or more of the parasites that humans get are parasites that are designed to infect mammals, either through a fecal-oral pathway (you, or someone who handled your food got parasite eggs on their hands from their feces or animal feces), or through mosquito bites (like malaria).

I really would not be worrying about parasites.
>>
>>713668
I really would not be worried about parasites from FISH, to spell it out as clearly as possible.
>>
>>713601
Stop forcing this shitty meme. Skin walkers don't exist go back to you containment bowed
>>>/x/
>>
>>713672
>/x/ is a containment board
just like a treasure chest is a containment vessel for unimaginable wealth
>>
>>713601
>>713616
>>713672
>>713678
OP here
Was it really skinwalkers?
>>
File: IMAG0022.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0022.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
Got these one evening a while back. All head shots around dusk at a friends farm yard with a silenced 22LR plus 1.5-6x32 scope.

Made a French mustard style stew with leeks, potato and a cider sauce. Shit was cash.
>>
File: woodhouse.gif (170 KB, 500x317) Image search: [Google]
woodhouse.gif
170 KB, 500x317
>>713051

The Zambesi tribesmen called it "long pig"
>>
>>712786
Why do you feed your dog vegetables? Srs
>>
>>712768
If you want to use coyote meat for something, check animal rehabs and sanctuaries nearby. sometimes they have carnivores that would like some of that meat
>>
Can anyone from Australia provide any advice rabbits in regards to parasites and disease?

I've heard mixed things about whether they're safe to eat due to parasites being pretty common, would cooking over a camp fire be enough heat to kill any potential baddies?
>>
>>713830

I usually check for a healthy liver (dark brown/red, not spots) and plenty of fat on my rabbits. Anything a bit suspect I chuck away.

So long as it's cooked through I don't reckon the parasites will be a problem.
>>
>>713787
Dogs need to eat their vegetables too
>>
from what I've learned from my father who did trapping for along time, the more of a vegetarian an animal is the cleaner the meat tastes. i.e. a cow, beaver, deer, and rabbits are straight herbivores taste the best, then on the opposite side crow, vulture, big cats(not mittens), and the like are strong in flavor, they are edible to a certain extent but some flavors may be intolerable.

now as far as parasites go, my favorite saying from my parasitology professor was "what kills 99.99% of all parasites, hot oil and batter"

PS it is at this point I realized I am a true coonass b/c I didn't think there was any thing wrong with what she had said. A little tip for fish parasites, pickled ginger contains a chemical that paralyses the most common of the tapeworm family, that is why it is always presented along side sushi (also it is a good palate cleanser, but that is a side effect)
>>
>>714461
so what's the wasabi for?
>>
>>713051
Rabbit tastes like chicken. People say everything tastes like chicken, but in this case it's true.
Before I first tried rabbit I always assumed it was just a saying until I got 3 whole rabbits and BBQd them. The meat came off the grill looking identical to the grilled chicken I was doing, and tasted the exact same. The only difference was the rabbit was ever so slightly tougher, but almost imperceptibly so. The only reason I really noticed the difference in texture was because it was my first time eating rabbit and I was paying extra attention to such things.
>>
File: 20151010_142908[1].jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151010_142908[1].jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Driving down logging road about 10 miles off the pavement in pissing down rain. (That's why pic sucks, camera was drenched)

See grouse on side of road, hop out, grab 870, load it, walk about 15 yards for better shot, shoot it.

Step on head while its flailing around because I don't want it to go off the road down a steep ass muddy hill. Stops moving in about 30 seconds.

Step on wings, grab legs and pull breasts out. Clean the rest up.

Few minutes after shooting it I have nice, fresh grouse breast in zip lock bag driving home.

Cook breasts with a light gravy and put on white rice. Tastes awesome.

Was eating it within about about 1.5 hours of shooting it.
>>
File: DSCN7824.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7824.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Ptarmigan with .410 4 shot federal defense loads shot out a S&W Governor. Sometimes I eat them like tiny steaks or stuff a jalapeno with cream cheese then wrap ptarmigan around that and hold it with a tooth pic.
>>
>>714469
Underrated post
>>
Has anyone tagged a Turkey in public land? It seems like every 15 minutes there's dirtbikers, dog walkers, and bicycles everywhere. I don't get how I'm supposed to get a Turkey there
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-01-23-42-23.png (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-01-23-42-23.png
3 MB, 2560x1440
>>714900
You gotta go where there aren't many access points. Also rougher terrain keeps people away. Find trails and roads that don't allow bikes and atvs. The further the land is away from major cities also helps. Pic related is where I'm scouting this weekend.
>>
>>714957
Wooooah I wish I had land in my state like that. Sadly my state is HIGHLY populated with the nearest large hunting grounds being a state over so I'm stuck with parking lot size hunting grounds: (
>>
>>714964
Then you are kinda scewed. You could try hunting weekdays that's when there are fewer people. Shifty weather also keeps the people away. You a new englander?
>>
>>714964
Samefag here, what really pisses me off is it's a state park left side of the road tiny hunting zone right side MASSIVE non hunting woods WHY go in the hunting side I just don't understand
>>
I shot myself on accident
>>
>>714973
I am
>>
>>714974
Non hunters don't get this concept. I've been on forestry land and been told by these non hunters that it's illegal to hunt there when I know it's not because I wouldn't be there otherwise. Maybe start knocking on doors next to that hunting zone and get permission to hunt private land. Typically that private land next to areas like that hold some wildlife.

I kinda feel your pain being so close to a nice area that you can't hunt or won't hunt because it's a different state. I live 10 miles from a place in another state that would cost me close to $300 just to get liscenses.
>>
>>714740
I don't git it
>>
>>712763
male/female probably. The males have more scent and game taste to them
>>
>>713442
>Fish are so different than us that their parasites are generally not a concern though.

This is patently false. It's actually the complete opposite: parasites don't tend to cause extensive damage to their natural (reservoir) hosts, because they are required to complete the lifecycle. Trematodes (flukes) of the GI tract or lungs will burrow into the liver, brain, eyeballs, or muscles because they can't complete their natural lifecycles. This is wihy the USDA requires all crab sales other than live crab to be pre-cooked before being made available to the public due to risk of liver flukes. Crabs are even more different from males than fish are.
>>
>>713625
No, it will not be effective. Liver flukes are endemic in SE Asia, and Chinese studies have shown that the local customs of preserving seafood (picking in brine or vinegar or storing in alcohol) due nothing to kill the parasites, and in fact were still able to cause a 100% infection rate in lab animals. Cooking with heat and a thermometer to insure proper temperature is the only safe way to eat fish/seafood species that are known to carry parasites.
>>
>>713669
This. Just make sure not to eat raw crawdads, and gut your fish immediately after killing them. You'll be fine.
>>
Any turkey hunters around?

Two questions:
Anyone wanna recommend a turkey call? I'm an experience duck caller but never owned or used turkey calls. Mouth calls seem legit and handy but might be the most difficult to use? I realize I should have learned earlier in the off-season but this is kind of a last minute thing. I've got turkey tags anyway and I wanna go backpacking so I'm just gonna turkey hunt. Is there any point in calling with no decoy and could I get by without calling?

Any tips or resources on IDing gobblers, jakes, and hens? Legally I can shoot gobblers and bearded hens. I've seen turkeys on trail cams and jumped them up before but I never observed them to see the difference. What are the thought processes when you see a turkey
And go about identifying sex? I know hens don't strut, are brown, feathers go up high on their head, and the majority don't have beards.
>>
>>715185
Yeah one was male one was female
But I wanna know about the skinwalkers
>>
>>713749
Must have taken forever to skin all those fucks.
>>
>>717539
You can skin a rabbit in 5 minutes if you're handy.
>>
Anyone eaten crow? Its the season right now but I'm not going to kill something for no reason
>>
>>717706
Do what I sometimes do to ptarmigan.
>>714668
>>
File: 20150902_213436.jpg (968 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20150902_213436.jpg
968 KB, 2560x1920
Shot a hog last weekend with my Savage .243, I've added a red light since this pic.

It was about 200 pounds and pregnant; I pulled 6 piglets out of her that were probably days away from birth... fucking weird experience. This all took place around midnight, so I don't have any pics.
>>
>>717706
Crows eat crops. This leads to increase cost at the grocery store. Now you have reason to kill crow.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.