[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73
#15- "Y u no spring yet" Edition
"Fresh thread for Pepsi" subedition

>Uneventful weekend
>Need new lures
>Spring still nowhere to be seen
>Planning to join y/out/ube project

Previous Thread:
>>709787

Talk about fishin'
>>
ok fishos, im really curious on this one.
post a pic of your current most favourite lure that seems to just work wonders in the waters you fish.

For me its the Savage Gear TPE shrimp (pic related).
This lure has never failed to catch fish. I can throw hardbodies, crankbaits or spinners and catch nothing, then use this and clean up on all species, freshwater or saltwater. SEQ fisherman here.
>>
>>712752
I was really interested in that lure. Happy to hear it works that well, at least somewhere. How do you work it?
Ill post a pic later today of my best.
X-rap is hella awesome tho.
>>
>>712752
Rapala floating originals from 1 to 6 inches in the natural colour
>>
What's the best primitive way to get your own worms from the ground? Need to know for backpacking trips. YouTube video would be helpful.
>>
>>712773
Ok, so this will sound weird.

Hit trees with blunt objects, so the ground around them shakes. Do it violently for a few minutes, the hastily search the root structure and the dirt around it. The vibrations will make the worms seek the surface. Within a few strikes you should see a few popping out of the dirt.

There is also another method used in the southern states. It involves two men but can be done with one person. Basically you need a metal pipe, with another piece of metal inside. Kind of like a sheath. You drive the apparatus into the ground and you lift the pipe sitting in the metal tube and slam it. Vibrations will make the worms rise. There are YouTube videos of this, just too lazy to find them on mobile
>>
File: paramachene_tandom.jpg (50 KB, 400x211) Image search: [Google]
paramachene_tandom.jpg
50 KB, 400x211
For the /b/ro that wanted to catch brookies.

Use small mepps or roostertail spinners, they go apeshit for them. You can also experiment with fly fishing, but that takes a lot of Patience, and chances are if you are a /b/ fag you probably lack that (just joking m8). Worms work well, but not nearly as good as a well presented nymph, or a nice mepps spinner.

Grey ghost is deadly streamer for fly fishing brookies. Pic related, its my go-to streamer. I posted my personal video on fly fishing brookies in the previous thread, if fly fishing interests you it may be worth checking out. (Shameless self shilling)
>>
>>712791

I'd add that I've been using 1/12 ounce Kastmasters for brookies, rainbows and the occasional brown for years.
>>
>>712773
With a pitchfork
Here's how:
>clear ground in a 10-foot wide circle
>stick pitchfork tines into dirt in middle of circle
>wiggle pitchfork repeatedly
After a few minutes of wiggling, you should start to see worms come up through the ground.
Incidentally, this is the same concept behind the "worm grunting" they do way down South as well as the technique outlined by >>712777 above. The vibrations in the ground imitate those of a mole digging around looking to eat worms, and the worms' instinct is to get out of the ground until those vibrations subside.
>>
To the bro here >>712701 #

To get back into fishing, a Zebco 33 combo is a great start. It's available everywhere, not too expensive, and you don't have a big (re)learning curve to get back into fishing.
As for brook trout, they
a) are small, and
b) eat underwater insects almost exclusively.
To get into them, you'll either need an ultralight setup (Zebco has a micro 33 combo that should work) with some small inline spinners, or a lightweight fly rod setup with some nymphs. In your case, I'd go ultralight mostly because it's cheaper and more available. A fly setup can be even more successful once you get your head around the concept of it, but you can easily drop $500 on a fly rig.
>>
I'm discouraged Bros...

Recently moved to NC and tried fishing for bass and trout (on separate occasions). Three times I've gone out and caught Nada.

Is there some special method to catching bass around the triangle region? I'm a poorfag and don't have a boat. I tried fishing off a nearby pier but I only see dudes catching catfish off that, not even bluegill.

I used to look for underwater structures where bass would be hiding (downed trees etc) and cast a Texas rigged senko/powerworm, or just wacky worm it and catch 1-2 pounders back in my home state, but it looks like there aren't any similar lakes line that near me with decent, walkable shoreline.

I dono if my old methods are incompatible with my new location or if I just haven't found a 'proper' location to fish the shoreline. Jordan lake is too big I think.

Thanks for any advice Bros.
>>
>>712827
keep trying, ou may just be in a area thats heavily fished for bass, and they're cautious , im targeting one pond that has both bass, and walleye, but is heavily fished, so the fish dont like to bite on anything
>>
>>712829
the pond im fishing is super discouraging aswell, ive fished it 3 times icefishing, and only caught one or two pan fish, and one catfish, an have fished it, half a dozen times from my kayak and caught nothing 5/6 of the times, except for one time where i got lucky and found some panfish etc
>>
>>712767
Yeah they work well, and i do small, medium quick retrieves in current, but in more still waters they work very well if you let them sick to the bottom, and pull a little bit and let them sink again, kinda like a shrimp moving on the bottom. the fact that the hook is on top of the lure helps with this.
and i have always wanted to use the X-rap, but they always seemed pricey, id be pretty pissed if i lost it.
>>
>>712827
>>712829
>>712832
>2 months fishing consistently
>3 fish
Im used to this.
>>
Ever have someone with you get angry because your the only one catching fish and they demand that you tell them how? This happens to me all the time. I can't really tell them how to catch fish. They know how to use a rod and reel. They know the basics, they've been fishing for years. Hell, one guy even threatened to break my pole if I didn't tell him what I was doing. Which is why I fish alone now. When I fish with other people now, I just don't try to fish. If just upsets the balance too much and they feel worthless. I just don't fucking get it really and I don't understand why so many fishermen have such a terrible ego int he first place.

There's just this intuitiveness you have to have. If you don't have it, you don't have it. I'm sure if I went to the ocean and fished I'd have shit luck because I didn't grow up in those waters like I did here far inland.
>>
>>712858
never had anyone get upset, ive had my little cousin get annoyed im catching 20 fish to every 2 he catches, but i tell him what he can do differenty to get more
>>
How effective are top water lures in the spring? I'd be fishing them for both kinds of bass and pike in a few small ponds connected to a river. Would they be effective during the day, or if the water is high and muddy? I've also never caught a pile on top water lures before, so general pike fishing tips would be helpful
>>
>>712812
Well brookies in fast water rely on insects, brookies in still water will feed on minnows, small young fish.
>>712855
Happens to the best. Shouldn't let it discourage
>>
>>712858
You just need better friends to fish with. If I can't tell them (jokingly) that they suck at fishing while I'm out there, I don't wanna be fishin with em
>>
>>712858
Part of it is people think it's supposed to be easy, and when they look at fishing shows they see people who make it look easy pulling multiple huge fish out of the water in 30 minutes.
It can be easy, but it takes knowledge, and that only comes through experience. They only see you pulling fish after fish out of the water; they don't see the weeks and months of not catching anything while trying to figure out what they will bite.
>>
>>712865
Everything's effective in the spring.
Put any lure in front of a bedding fish and you'll catch them.
>>
>>712858

Why are you fishing with retards?
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 640x397) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 640x397
>>712858
>be me
>youngster
>every summer go fishing with my grandpa and dad
>popular spot below a dam
>show up with shit 12ft aluminum boat
>no motor, only trolling motor
>shit zebco rod and reels
>catch our limit in 2 hours
>go home
>have fish fry

I want to believe it's cause we were using a live bait rig for catfish, something my grandfather did no matter what bait he used. Most people there were doing other rigs but the same bait.

I'm really not sure but it was the rig he used almost exclusively throughout his life and he caught more fish than anyone I know.

Everyone in my family uses it and we rarely have a day when we catch nothing.

Wish he was still alive so I could learn more.
>>
>>712868
I meant,thats what sea fishing from shore is like around here. Unless you got an unbelievably impossibly fine spot.

>>712858
>break my pole
Seriously what the fuck

>>712911
Same here my man.
I bear my grandad's name, and am a studying electrician just like he was. I share so many traits with him, unintentionally so.
By the time i was interested enough in fishing, and his craft, and the things he was interested in, he became too sick, and eventually passed away not long before i started transitioning more towards those interests.

Fuck mang. I cant hold these feels.

Otherwise, that catfish rig pretty much looks like what i've read about.
Maybe heavier sinkers tho.
>>
ive had some shiners in my freezer for about a year, still think they will be cgood enough for catfish?
>>
>>712944
They won't stay on the hook very well once thawed.
>>
>>712946
oh reall? i salted them and dried them a deent bit before freezing
>>
>>712947
>>712946
>>712946
or attempted to
>>
>>712947
Cast them frozen. I do this with mackerel and shad
>>
>>712961
Ill have to try this with sardines.
They are soft as fuck when they thaw. Just fall apart in your hands.
>>
>>712972
I also primarily use the heads. When using the mid section of mackerel or herring I use an elastic band and wrap it around the ribs, keeping the organs inside.

Fresh bait always works best, however I have caught plenty of fish with frozen bait.
>>
File: worm_grunt_stick.jpg (86 KB, 472x408) Image search: [Google]
worm_grunt_stick.jpg
86 KB, 472x408
>>712773
Look up worm grunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-Oo7NwPiQ

Those guys use smooth wood stakes and ribbed metal grunters but I've had luck just using a stake with many notches cut into one side and rubbing another smooth stick against the notches (something like pic related). It works very well in moist, soft/loose soils.
>>
File: Slip-Sinker-Catfish-Rig.jpg (127 KB, 1000x769) Image search: [Google]
Slip-Sinker-Catfish-Rig.jpg
127 KB, 1000x769
>>712911
For catfish I use a similar rig if I'm fishing on the bottom, the difference being that my preferred rig uses a slip sinker above a barrel swivel instead of a drail sinker. I've found that the slip sinker allows you to feel lighter bites as the line isn't directly attatched to the sinker. I use this rig with treble hooks for prepared bait or with circle hooks for live or cut bait.
>>
>>712858
What the fuck man? You are fishing with shitty people. Everybody that I fish with jokingly talks shit to each other but no one gets mad if they aren't catching as many fish as someone else.
>>
>>712985
How do you fish it though?
I only ever tried to use it on a carp rig. (Once again, for gilt-head bream)
Hooked and tied with bait elastic.
Then chucked into the water with 6oz sinker. Which doesnt help it stay in one piece i guess.
>>
>>712972
>>712998
I t urn my trip off for other boards and forget to turn it on here. Fuck sake.

>>712995
I am trying to experiment with a "santee" rig i think. Literally the same as your pic, except with a peg float between swivel and hook, to lift it above the short grass underwater.

Unfortunately, i am unable to procure peg floats from anywhere in europe.
>>
>>713001
Yeah, I add a 2" peg float depending on what the bottom of the lake / river is like. If I notice that I'm reeling in a ton of weeds and shit then I'll definitely put a float on a few inches above the hook to try and elevate the bait above the weeds. It sucks that you can't find any peg floats in europe, I literally just ordered a package of like peg floats off ebay on monday along with a 100pk of float stops if I want to use them in a slip float rig.
>>
>>713004
All i can find is this shit
>>
>>712998
I move it slightly, by retrieving slowly for a few feet every few minutes or so, keeping bait in for 15-20 minutes at a time. You should be able to use this method in freshwater.
Hook, 10 inch mono leader, swivel, running line, sinker on a slider on running line. You can adjust your leader length to your preference, but that's how I fish dead bait. You can also use a 3 way swivel with a weight and your leader attached, slowly trolling the dead bait.
>>
>>713027
Hmm, what country are you in? Some ebay sellers ship worldwide, it might be worth buying a bulk package of peg floats and having them shipped over if it doesn't cost too much. You can find 100 packs of peg floats if you look hard enough.
>>
>>713062
Shits expensive as fuck to ship across the pond.
Croatiafag here.
>>
Best spinning reel under $45?
>>
File: IMG_20160315_152614504.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160315_152614504.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
Trying to organize the shit I carry with me when I go out fishing not in my kayak
I still have 2 small other containers I need to find a way to fit in /consolidate
>>
>>713086
Yeah, looks like ~$34USD shipping from USA to Croatia from the company that I ordered my peg floats from.
>>
>>713105
Yeah, thats more than id pay for a few pegs too afaik.
>>
>>713108
Yeah, it might be worth it if you're looking to buy a 100pk of floats or something but definitely not worth it for a small handful of them.
>>
>>713097
should i make a second pouch like this? or try to add onto this one
>>
>>713115
Probably make more imo.

>>713111
While i searched a while back i didnt see many big packs, they mostly came in 2-4 packs...
>>
>>713122
il make a seond then, its nice keeping shit organized
>>
>>713122
There are a bunch of 100 packs:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X100+peg+float.TRS0&_nkw=100+peg+floats&_sacat=0

I wanted a 25 pack but couldn't find any, so I ordered a 12 pack instead, that's probably still more floats than I really need if I'm being honest with myself, it's not like I'm a fishing guide or anything that's losing tackle every day.
>>
Saw a guy pull in a big carp the other day here in Chicago on what I could've sworn was a spoon that he was casting out and working in real slow. I didn't know carp went for lures unless it was a fly or some corn.

Does anyone have experience casting artificials to carp with any success? I'd go out with my fly rod but I broke my 7/8 and I'm pretty sure my 2 wt is too small.
>>
>>713132
He might've just snagged / foul hooked it. I've never heard of carp hitting a spoon.
>>
>>713027
>>713086
Make it yourself, it is really easy.
>>
>>713133
>>713132
Carp eat all manner of stuff. A small slow spoon could work. Anything resembling benthic creatures should work.
>>
File: tacklebocks.jpg (2 MB, 3132x2160) Image search: [Google]
tacklebocks.jpg
2 MB, 3132x2160
>>713135
Show me. (I am quite interested too desu) If you cant, im likely gonna put it in my "Things i want to do but will forget to" part in my mind.

>>713129
You reckon the brightness will scare careful fish away (Like the gilt head (sparus aurata)) or intrigue?
Thanks for the link too!

Pic is my current tackle. All my rigged shit is there, the unrigged isnt, but there is like 3-4 unrigged softies i got outside and an old rapala or two.
>>
>>713132
I caught a big carp on a rat-l-trap once, and he was hooked around the lips. I don't know if I snagged him in the mouth or if he actually went for the lure but carp can definitely be caught on artificial lures. I wouldn't say it's common though
>>
File: ABUHI-LO-26gr_2_1376493.jpg (45 KB, 993x334) Image search: [Google]
ABUHI-LO-26gr_2_1376493.jpg
45 KB, 993x334
posting god tier plug
>>
>>713147
Well, all they really are is some sort of foam with a hole in the middle. You could find a block of styrofoam, carve it into a cigar shape, and use an ice pick to poke a hole in the middle, then use a piece of a small twig to wedge in the hole as the peg.

>You reckon the brightness will scare careful fish away (Like the gilt head (sparus aurata)) or intrigue?

I normally use peg floats for catfish, which are not line/tackle/float shy so it doesn't really affect me. For more skittish fish species I imagine that they could be scared off if the float is too close to the bait, it'd just take some experimenting on your part to determine if using a peg float is beneficial or not in your situation.
>>
>>713143
>>713148
Got it, cool. Probably accidental then when he was going after steelies or an early coho.
>>
File: welsh.jpg (93 KB, 506x653) Image search: [Google]
welsh.jpg
93 KB, 506x653
I'm gonna be hitting a new (to me) lake this weekend, hopefully I'll pull in a bunch of catfish. It's a 1269 acre power plant cooling ("hot water") lake and the latest state fish & game survey showed an abundance of channel cats in there. I'll be in the boat, not too sure where I'll start out... probably the hot water outlet first and then I'll target dropoffs around a couple major points. If that doesn't work then I can either head to the shallow (north) end or the deep (south) end by the dam.
>>
MTB trout box came. Will pic & post later.
>>
>>713147
What materials do you have on hand? Pick one from each category,

Peg:
Dowel rod
Bamboo skewer
Chopsticks
Twig

Float:
Wine Cork
Styrofoam packing
Packing peanuts
Wood

Fixative:
Hot glue
Super glue
Pine pitch glue
Epoxy

Water proofing:
Paint
Nail polish
Pine pitch sap
Fiberglass resin

Line attachment/weight:
Wire
Ink pen spring
Paperclip
Mousetrap spring

I'm sure you could use other stuff on hand. You can use this for any manner of surface or underwater floats. Use weight to adjust buoyancy.
>>
>>713193
One of the things i was wondering was how does the peg actually look ilke/work?
Since i never used floats, and my mind only works in:
>Sliding
>Tied

Otherwise thanks, thats pretty helpful!
>>
>>713095
Anyone? I'm thinking pflueger president used?
>>
>>713210
If it's basically new, just used once or twice, that isn't bad. Otherwise Pflueger Triton, Shimano Sienna, Abu Cardinal, Okuma Stratus V, there are some Mitchells in that price range that prolly aren't too bad.
>>
>>713213
Are used reels dangerous territory?
>>
>>713210
Im not that much into fancier stuff.
Me and dad mostly got by with Zebco reels back in the day.
Right now our two main spinning reels are Spro.
>Spro Saltix BT Front Drag (cant remember size)
>Spro Saltwater Performa SW6650FD

The first is a decent size reel for medium-light shore spinning, and the second was bought as a shore jigging reel.

I just universally use all my gear because:
>600$/mo salary
>>
>>712832

So stop fishing the same body of water?
>>
>>713216
You never know. I mean with a used President, it's not like you are dropping a ton of money on it. But you never know which reels have gone swimming in the ocean and bearings are fried.
>>
>>713222
i want to target it because it has 2 species that i have verry rarley caught, and there isnt alot of lakes aroun here that have them
>>
>>713220
Me neither, I'm trying to fish on a budget but I want something to last. I bought a shakespeare spincast and it worked for a while until it got absolutely and completely fucked. I want something to last years so I don't have to replace it all the time
>>
>>713201
For the Santee float you have a tube of floating material with a piece of metal that clips onto the line or a wedge that you wedge into the hole to prevent it from moving. Some just have a loop at each end you tie-off the line. Some have a notch that you weave the line through.

With the surface floats they are just like >>713027 with similar methods of attaching it to the line, except the tie-off of the line of course unless you are using hand lines.
>>
>>713228
I wouldn't call Presidents "Fancy". They are $60 and go on sale for $50 quite a bit.
>>
>>713233
That being said, they are nice reels in that price range. I own two. Only reason I bought it was because it was reccommended by a lot of people.
>>
File: 20160315_153746.jpg (697 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160315_153746.jpg
697 KB, 2048x1350
I went fishing again
It was tough
One guy there couldn't even get a bluegill on a worm, not even a bite
Its really cold and just after a cold rain so the fish are really shut down
1/3
>>
File: 20160315_161941.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160315_161941.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1350
>>713252
2/3
The biggest one, was about .75 pounds (just estimating, no scale)
Got it on a fluke hooked through the nose with an octopus hook
>>
>>712995
I've seen this but usually used with live bait that can still swim. That way they can still swim a little.

One thing my dad always did was something he called "slack lining". He just puts nothing but a hook on his line, plays out a few yards and let's it go.

The amount of strikes he gets goes done considerably but the quality of the fish goes up drastically.
>>
File: 20160315_162211.jpg (662 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160315_162211.jpg
662 KB, 2048x1350
>>713257
This is how that fluke was rigged
It twitches about 1-18 inches under the water and looks just like a fish on it's last legs... Er.. Uh.. Fins
>>
>>712791
Hey thanks m8. I have a few mepps in my spoon box. I'll give it a go when they open the local canals later this spring.
>>
File: 20160315_164656.jpg (839 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160315_164656.jpg
839 KB, 2048x1350
>>713265
3/3
The last fish of the day
>>
I don't really rig stuff in a complicated manner when fishing. I just pop a rubber worm on a hook or tie on a crankbait and usually I can do okay. Should I delve into other stuff?
>>
>>712793
I've seen them in the local canals for years, but still haven't caught one. I've been catching browns my whole life, but I just haven't been able to get the brookies to bite, they're such finnicky fish. I'll try one of the mepps that I have hiding in my tackle box later this spring. Thanks anon.
>>
File: image.gif (10 KB, 350x519) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
10 KB, 350x519
I had an old man teach me something similar to this. It's for cat fishing in moving water with liver for bait.

>tie 3-4 perch hooks on the same line
>use split shots at the top for a little weight
>wrap the whole thing around a piece of liver hooking it along the way with the hooks
>cast out but don't engage the reel
>let it float down with the current
>use your thumb to stop it every now and then so it can float to the top

It works best with a bait casting reel and takes some practice to set the hook without the reel engaged but works great. Bigger catfish live in the faster water and are quite aggressive.
>>
>>712990
Anyone here try this before? It isn't like snipe hunting, muffler bearings, finger boxes or cans of firing solution is it?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 500x500
>>713201
The way it works is you run your line through the middle of the float and use the peg as a wedge to keep it in position on the line. That way your float stays where you want it and doesn't keep riding up or down the line.
In pic related, the float also has a cut in the side so you can easily attach it to your line.
>>
>>713296
I used to do a bucket of water with some dish soap, hunting them at night with a flashlight, or the ol' metal pole and extension cord. The one where you shock em out is fun but soapy water is prolly the easiest and most reliable.
>>
>>713332
i need to go out sometime soon and get a bunch of worms to start my season, still cold though so not sure if il get many
>>
>>713216
Can be, but generally not.
The truth is most people don't go fishing all that much. If they did, they'd be using the shit instead of selling it.
Accordingly, if the reel looks good, chances are it is good.
>>
>>713341
+1 on this. It's not like a car. A lot of people just get bored of it and want the stuff gone for cheap. I was looking at my local CL but it is mostly really expensive saltwater stuff or cheap garbage that I wouldn't buy new.

>>713339
Yeah I think most of that was during the summer. Best bet for hunting nightcrawlers with a flashlight is a warm summer night with recent rain. Upside to that is you only get big ones and lots of the time you can catch 2 worms at once.
>>
>>713351
yeah but its still chilly, and rainy currently
>>
>>713353
Try the extension cord and metal rod trick instead. That one is just funny.
>>
File: image.jpg (212 KB, 687x521) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212 KB, 687x521
>>713353
>>713359
It actually works too
>>
>>713360
That looks like a great way to kill yourself
>>
What is everyone using for spring salmon/trout?
These are the only ones I have been using, One bite on each of the cleos, havn't used the jerkbait yet.
The place where I fish, I need to get the lure down fast. the current is super quick and takes is down the river in no time.
What is everyones strategy for casting in deep fast water?
I know they are there because when You swim down the river you can see them swimming behind the rocks down current.
Just no takers.
>>
>>713367
Wear rubber-sole shoes and you will be straight.
>>
>>713360
How does one exactly do this? To avoid killing ones self
>>
>>713370
I think I'll stick with raking leaf litter.
>>
>>713371
Just stick a metal rod inside one end of an extension cord and jam it into the ground a foot or two. Works best if the ground is a little moist. After a minute, worms within a yard or two will start coming out of the ground.

You might want to unplug the power before you grab the worms if they are real close to the rod. But otherwise it's not a big deal once they are almost completely out of the ground.

It's not like they come shooting out of the ground so I don't think the electricity is that strong. Mostly just irritates them so they try and get away from it. I haven't done it in quite a few years though.

>>713376
Debbie downer over here...

If you have a patch of dirt without much grass, fill a 5gal bucket with water and a lil dish soap or laundry detergent. Works really well. Once again, if the ground is a little moist it will work better.
>>
>>713296
So, no one?
>>
So I stopped by the lake for a minute but was getting eaten by bugs.

I had a big ass carp breach like a whale in front of me. Craziest thing. Full head out of the water and just splashed back in.

Those lakes right down the street off of I-95 kinda piss me off. Like 35% of the time I go to them, I have really good luck and will get 5 bass in an hour. The other 65% of the time, not even a single bite. There are rarely just "slow" days where I get one or two fish. It's either all or nothing.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>712752
Pic related. Also Mepps Agila 2 or 3 with a gold blade and brown skirt. But in really clear water they don't always work the best. I have caught more bass on a Mepps Agila 3 in that color combo than any other lure.
>>
Can one rig more than one crank on one line?
>>
>>713408
Sure. I would rather do it with 2 rubber flukes or something. The diving action on cranks would probably create a mean tangle.

There has to be one with some stronger wire that keeps em seperate a bit.
>>
File: B8.jpg (32 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
B8.jpg
32 KB, 300x200
>>712752
The minnow spin by Blue Fox is my new favorite lure for browns. It's super effective
>>
>>713410
I've been looking for those Blue Fox spinners, some anon reccommended the ones that rattle or click a bit. I haven't seen any Blue Foxes for sale in a few years though. Even Mepps are getting fewer and fewer most places. Not sure why people don't buy inline spinners as much anymore. They are a staple for me. If I'm checking out a new lake, I will have a Mepps on one rod and Rapala on another.
>>
>>713409
Maybe I'll try a lipless with a diving crank. That'd be interesting.
>>
>>713415
That's where I would be worried. 2 rattlers with no lips would probably be ok. But seems like diving ones would want to kinda dive towards eachother and tangle up.

Should I try it in my pool? For research purposes?
>>
>>713418
>>713415

Yeah I'd maybe do two lipless, maybe different weights?
>>
>>713419
I don't think I have any of those 3-way swivels. I wonder how I should rig it...

I'm not sure what I have lipless besides typical rattlers.
>>
File: 2016-03-15 19.51.36.jpg (698 KB, 1885x1060) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-15 19.51.36.jpg
698 KB, 1885x1060
>>712740

This is my setup for jug fishing on Toledo Bend reservoir. I caught four channel cats and a bigassed grinnel. I also watched bald eagles mate, which is precisely as Murrican as it sounds.
>>
>>713419
>>713421
I'm thinkin if I take a ~18" length of 20lb flouro, tie a loop in the middle (hook that to the main line) and then tie a crank to either side of it, maybe the flouro will be stiff enough to keep them a little apart.

I could do it with red-eye shads (lipless) that are the same size or 2 Rapalas of the same size (Original, X-Rap) and see how it works.

Anybody want me to report my findings from the pool?
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>713427
There's no way this won't get tangled when casting.

I swear I have seen some rigs for shit like this at Bass Pro. Some thin spring steel in a V shape, maybe 6"-8" for each arm.
>>
>>713427
Aye, Submit the report here after the Pool Research Center has concluded the findings.

Still wondering what everyone is using for the spring salmon/trout. I'm only running cleos and getting only nibbles.
>>
>>713412

That was me who swears by the blue gox vibrax the way you swear by mepps. Get online and order a few next time youre running low on mepps (is that possible for pepsi?)

I feel like they cast a little better than mepps and put off more vibration. They work great at night here in the summer when its hot.

I can't wait to start actually getting out regularly and start posting some go pro footage. Water temps are 50s here now. Should be getting good anyday now.
>>
>>713433
No go with those. The treble hooks and line just become a clusterfuck. Even when the treble hooks don't grab eachother, they get the line and don't swim right. Also I forgot how far two 3/4oz lures will cast on 15lb braid. First cast, I almost landed it in the neighbor's yard.

Next try is a couple of Storm baits.
>>
>>713296
Like I said, I've used the pitchfork method, which is similar.
It does work, it just takes a while to get your bait.
>>
>>713437
>running low on Mepps
Topkek. Plus I have a couple dozen Rooster Tails and no-name inlines.
>>
File: image.jpg (853 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
853 KB, 3264x2448
>>713438
There might be something to this...

The line twists a little on the cast, but once you start reeling it in, the two baits stay real close to eachother and kinda dance around eachother. Looks just like two baitfish swimming together.
>>
>>712773
Just go out at night after a rain with a nice flashlight. Gotta be quick, tho. If you're in a hurry you can dump some dish soap out in your yard and spray it with a garden hose. The worms will rise to the top, but they die quickly.
>>
Holy shit I"m dropping way too much dosh before the season even starts here and I still want to by a new baitcaster(thinking shimano curado) and some frogs to try.
>>
>>713095
I've got a Quantum Q-VEX 30 and an Abu Garcia Cardinal SX and have never had any issue with either. They're both around 40 dollars.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
You think this would freak out the fish if the lures are still about a foot behind?
>>
>>713444
This jerkbait is all I've got other than cleos.
My issue is getting it deep enough.
The river gets deep quick maybe 10meters from shore it's about 25 meters deep.
I've got a 3oz sinker to get it there asap, before I put it on I got no bites I suspect it wasn't near the fish at all.

I've never put two lures on together, How are you doing that?
>>
File: HCKVDJ300D-508.jpg (30 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
HCKVDJ300D-508.jpg
30 KB, 300x199
>>713462
That's a shallow diving lure. Notice the length of the lip. Bigger the lip the deeper it goes. Get a mid diver or deep diver. Wasting time and effectiveness with sinkers on body baits and considering doubling up on lure? The fuck is that nonsense?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>713462
I've got that same Husky Jerk. Not sure if it is the same size. I just tied two of those Storm lures to an ~18" length of line and attached that straight to the swivel.

>>713444
This method seemed to work the best. 2 Storms, straight line, right onto the swivel. The line twisted up a bit but the baits swam right next to eachother and looked like schooling fish. A little erratic and dancing around eachother.

>>713431
Real cranks like these with treble hooks just got all tangled and became a mess. Pic related.

>>713460
And this method with the hanger, the line just got twisted all around the hanger most of the time and the baits didn't swim well at all.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>713472
I don't even think those ones dive much. I believe it is a Husky Jerk. Although I can't even remember which of my Rapalas are which. I think Originals are wood while Husky Jerks and X-Raps are plastic.
>>
>>713472

Ideally he would probably want one that doesn't float AND has a bigger diver.
>>
wait a second, i knew a really good doubble rig a while agio going to need two super flukes ( not paddle ail) 2 swivels and some line
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>713458
+1 for the Cardinal SX. Regular Cardinals are closer to $30 I think while the SX is $40 or $45. Still might take that Okuma Stratus V over the Cardinals though. I have been so impressed with that reel for the price.

>>713462
Here are some real diving lures on top. Otherwise if you need to go deep, you could go with some of Rapala's rattlers. They sink pretty fast so you could let it drop a bit before you retrieve and then reel it fairly slow. Although the ones with the big lips are kinda nice because the lips will dig into rocks and let you know you are on the bottom before the hooks start snagging shit.
>>
>>713412
I just recently found these guys, at Kmart strangely enough, and basspro, but as fluke said, I swear by 'em. They've produced large brown trout at lakes that I've been fishing for years, and haven't typically caught shit at.
>>
File: know-your-crankbaits.png (97 KB, 830x607) Image search: [Google]
know-your-crankbaits.png
97 KB, 830x607
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
What the fuck are the Rapalas anyway? I have no idea what the lips do on these two.

>>713488
My Bass Pro definitely doesn't have em. They have a decent selection of Rooster Tails, an OK selection of Mepps, and lots of their XPS whatever store brand.
>>
File: crankbait-diving-depths.png (104 KB, 830x633) Image search: [Google]
crankbait-diving-depths.png
104 KB, 830x633
>>
>>713437
It's a solid product that I didn't believe in until it worked.
>>
File: fishing-line-characteristics.png (124 KB, 830x563) Image search: [Google]
fishing-line-characteristics.png
124 KB, 830x563
>>
>>713410
>minnow spin by Blue Fox
What size?
>>
>>713496

I would disagree with knot strength. Flouro tends to be brittle and break for me, where ive never had a braid knot fail. Braid will slip if you dont tie the right knots, but a palomar or double palomar ive never had slip, or break. The mono or flouro of the same strength breaks first.
>>
>>713472
>>713478
>>713473

It's a Husky Jerk.

>>713472
You need to sink it, else the current takes your bait down the river. I can't stress how fast this current is. I'll make a cast 30 degress form the shore out 18-ish meters. Sink it heavy (5oz able to bottom bump). and swing it overtop boulders where the fish swim behind out of the current. I literally cast, and retrieve once the line is past me and about 20 degrees from the shore. The whole process takes about 20 seconds. The key is getting it close to the fish for them to break from the rocks. In the morning, the rocks are full and guarantee interest. At night, to many fisherman make the salmon break from the rocks with lures and by 7pm rolls around, there are no fish to bite.

Pic related. It's where the lake narrows into the river where it picks up speed. I've fished on the both sides but the Canadian side has rocks closer to the drop.

When lake freighters come from the river, it pulls the water even faster.
When they come from the lake, it slows the current down. Best time to cast, 70% of my bites are when the freighters are coming from the lake.
>>
>>713496
>Braid Knot Strength
>Poor

U wot? I feel like braid ties the best knots of any line. They stay tight the best.
>>
>>713491
That top lip looks interesting as fuck. No idea what it does, the second lip gives the lure a sweeping hunting motion that's pretty cool. Sucks that your basspro doesn't sell those vibrax lures. Try Kmart. Or just internet it.
>>
>>713496
And is backlash really worse with braid than any other line?

Only real problem with braid as far as casting goes is that if you pull on the line real hard, sometimes it can bury itself into the spool a little and make the next cast kinda rough. It's only an issue on casting reels though because the line is a lot deeper on the spool. If I need to pull out a foot of line on a spinning reel, I just yank on it until the drag starts clicking. I try not to do it with the casting reels though so the line doesn't bury itself.

>>713506
I was actually at one of the 2 remaining K-Marts for work a few weeks ago grabbing some paperwork for work and took a look at their fishing section. They had a few of those other Mepps products like the Syclops and other shit. Shoulda looked for the Blue Foxes. But their fishing section was really small and like the Walmarts around here, a good portion is saltwater so it cuts down on the freshwater selection.
>>
Overview of fishing in my area:

>my pond
>modest panfish, channel catfish, and small mouth bass
>eating sizes under 24"

>local rivers
>almost nothing of size or sport in them (panfish and bullhead)
>Can't eat them due to pollution.

>local private ponds (best hope)
>panfish and the occasional monster small mouth bass
>literally only 2 private ponds with monster catfish

>public ponds/lakes
>almost nothing of size or sport in them (panfish, small channel catfish, small trout)
>Can't eat them due to pollution.
>these are stocked at certain times of the year
>when stocked, the fishing is literally shoulder to shoulder
>you can only eat the freshly stocked fish, due to pollution.

>ice fishing is non-existent

I have to drive just over 100 miles to get to a very large river for solid striper, large mouth bass, and flathead fishing. Can't eat them due to pollution.

Ocean is 600+ miles away.

How about where you live, /lure/?
>>
>>713498
I like the small one, but depending on how you want to fish it, I'd get multiple sizes. The larger the lure, the larger the fish.
>>
>>713423
North or South Toledo Bend. I spent many summers crossing the bridge on my way to Many to visit family. Never fished cause we love five hours away.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>713510
I kinda do what you do with the private ponds. I'm always fishing lakes and ponds in commercial and industrial areas. They are the best bet for nice largemouth bass.

>>713509
Pic related shows how braid can dig into the spool if the line is pulled real tight. Not really an issue with mono or flouro or spinning reels with braid. You can feel it on the next cast though.
>>
>>713513

North. We live near Huxley Bay and my wife's family has a lake house there.

We've been on the channel cats lately.
>>
>>713509
The fishing tackle selection in your area seems disparaging Pepsi. Are there brown trout in your area? I mean, I'm sure the blue fox lures are good for other fish too, but I know that I'm very selective with my lures as far as species are concerned. Unless we're talking bluegill. Little fuckers will eat anything.
>>
>>713510
>>Can't eat them due to pollution

Deregulation for you lol. I was fishing this spot today until a pipe from under the dock spewed this greenish shit out.
That would explain why I had no bites lol.
Never fishing there again.
>>
>>713510
Where do you live m8? Fucking fallout?
>>
How do you guys keep from losing jigs and such? I keep on snagging them and having to break the knot.
>>
>>713526
It helps to know how deep it is where you're casting. Bottom bouncing with a sinker or using a antenna or slider float that equals the mass of your bait, is what I use. If I use crank or jerk bait, it's all about your retrieve and proper action.
>>
>>713526
Don't cast into shit that will snag your line? You're going to lose lures. It's inevitable. Know the terrain. Try not to reel so slow as to make you just drag along bottom, I guess.
>>
>>713526
It's always a 50/50, but somtimes, when you get snagged, if you walk adjacent to where you you're snagged, tighten the drag a hair, and whip your rod tip a few times, it will break free.
>>
>>713521
Idk if there are trout in South Florida. I don't think so. Maybe that is why inlines aren't a huge seller. But go to Bass Pro and there is a gaint selection of cranks and like 3 aisles of freshwater soft baits and worms.

It's just that a lot of the stores like Walmart and even Dick's devote a good portion of the fishing section to saltwater. This means that they have to cover the basics first, which means lots of terminal tackle for fresh and salt. And this leads to a smaller selection of lures.

I have been using a bit of Saltwater Gulp! for bass though. And there are some nice looking saltwater cranks I want to grab. Lots of color schemes for X-Raps are only really sold in the saltwater section. Also these MirroLure softbaits, they sell some saltwater flukes that look great for bass.

>>713526
Good luck. Either run some fat braid or flouro, pick your spots very carefully, or accept that you will lose jigs from time to time.
>>
>>713532
To add to this, if you hit a snag, try to walk around and give it a couple light jerks to see if you can pop it off before you really pull the shit out of it and dig it in worse.

There are also those little contraptions made to un-snag your lures. The Bass Pro one is basically a heavy weight that slides down your line towards the bait and you try and slide it into the lure with some speed and force so it knocks it back off the snag.
>>
>>712858

I don't get angry at other people's fortune because that is literally the most cuntish thing I can imagine, but I'm one of those guys who just can't catch fish. Like, it's basically a voodoo curse at this point. I do exactly what other people do... I can even be in the boat with other people who are catching fish. But I'm not catching shit. It's been that way my entire life.

> be 10 year old me on a chartered lake trout fishing trip with my brother, father and about a dozen other people
> everybody is catching the fuck out of fish
> I catch zero
> the guide asks me why I'm not catching fish, assumes I must be doing something wrong
> checks my bait, assuming that I missed a strike
> bait is still there
> checks my depth, assuming that I fiddlefucked around and reeled the line in
> depth is precisely as he left it
> guide can't believe that everyone, even people to either side of me is just killing trout and I'm sitting there without a bite
> this is literally how every fishing trip I take goes
>>
>>713529
Nah I'm not losing cranks and jerks. I can generally hang on to those pretty good.

>>713531
>Try not to reel so slow as to make you just drag along bottom
That's kind of the point of a jig...

>>713532
Yeah that sometimes works for me but I also don't usually have the room to do that.

>>713533
>Either run some fat braid or flouro
I've got 15lb flouro on there

>or accept that you will lose jigs from time to time.
I've definitely already accepted it lol

Oh well. It's only some money.
>>
>>713533
Ah I see, I see. Yeah the blue fox vibrax work, and are quite findable for myself on the west coast, but I see how they would be obsolete to you and your uber diverse east coast fish.
>>
>>713544
The struggle is real anon. We all lose a good lure from time to time.
>>
>>713544
>15lb Flouro
The problem with jigs is that most of them use real fat hooks. With cranks, if you get a snag with 15lb+ line, sometimes you can bend or snap one of the trebles and get it off the rock or whatever it is snagged on. I have a few Mepps that I had to bend a treble back in after ripping it off a rock. That's not happening with most jigs.
>>
>>713552
Yeah I think I'm hitting logs and if I can't get it loose I end up burying the hook in them. It doesn't help that any logs where I'm fishing are new from the flood so they're still super hard.
>>
>>713557
You ever think about tryin to weedless rig a trailer on there?

Or find ones with the most burly possible weed guard possible and go real easy with it when you are running it over the logs.
>>
>>713523
A 3rd world part of the usa 100 miles down wind of industrial areas in the next state over.
>>
>>713559
>weedless rig a trailer on there?
I might try that out. Might even give the trailer a bit more action.

>go real easy with it when you are running it over the logs.
I try. Maybe I'm just really shitty at telling when I'm on one. I can usually tell when I hit a rock or even a depression in the ground, so I don't know why logs are any different. Maybe after I lose a few more I'll figure it out.
>>
Damn, watchin that new Vice channel, the Noisey show in Miami. They're fishin in the canals with Gunplay, dude catches a snakehead and throws it back while he's tryin to catch bass to keep and eat.

Fuckin dumb nigs.
>>
>>713582
Kek
I used to work at vice.
>>
>>713584
>hipster
Dude who hosts the Noisey show is a bitch though. That Rivers Donahghy dude needs a show.
>>
>>713587
Not a hipster.

I'd discuss it more but I'd prefer not to.
>>
>>713588
I would never be able to work with all those hipster Jew journalism and film majors either so I don't blame you.
>>
>>713560
Hitch the fuck out of there to a better life and take your fishing pole.
>>
>>713588
Good. Maybe you can discuss fishing?
>>
>>713132
This guy does it pretty effectively
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzk3enrDHZc
>>
>>713599
That's the plan. Been busy past few days, and will be busy till next week. No videos until then probably.
>>713597
That's a common misconception, a lot of my old coworkers there wouldn't fit the mold you'd expect. That's all I'll say. I do miss a lot of them.
>>713549
If you aren't losing lures, you're fishing wrong :) that's my mantra.
>>
>>713147
about that, i usually paint mine black with a sharpie or something
>>713408
i would say yes if the bottom one dives harder than the top one, and thetop one floats, so the line between them stays tight. i wouldnt reccomend it though because it will bugger the action of the top crank because you have to tie on to that to prevent tangles.
>>
File: ulminnow.jpg (122 KB, 1597x905) Image search: [Google]
ulminnow.jpg
122 KB, 1597x905
Can't wait to try this new little rapala for rainbows and browns this spring. Had to buy it after I saw this video.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVd5gBOKHK0
>>
>>713540
welcome to my inshore fishing experience.

Its strange because i'm a decent bass fisherman but the big 3 down here: trout, redfish, snook have all eluded me for a long time.
>>
>>713656
That looks killer! That thing would slay in the canals where I'm from.
>>
>>713656
This is what one of those castmaster's produce in my area
>>
File: Lures7.jpg (164 KB, 1199x845) Image search: [Google]
Lures7.jpg
164 KB, 1199x845
Easter shopping is done :^)
>>
>>713491
Looks like a rapala shallow shad rap lip on top.
Bottom is a tail dancer lip, if i remember correctly.
Go look those two up and youll know what the lips do.
>>
I'm looking for a good hard case that I can put my reel as well as some tackle in while backpacking. Any recommendations? I'm having a hard time finding this sort of thing online.

How do you guys pack / transport reels?
>>
>>713682

digging 'bigwilly'
>>
>>713686
>Tail Dancer

Correction, "Scatter Rap"
>>
Flyfags halp, is this worth 50 dollars?
1.BlackNightHawk, BNHF 904, 9`, #4., 2 piece
2.Trout, T956, 9`,#5/6., 2 piece
I want into flyfishing and can get these used?
>>
>>713687
Backpack, in their original boxes.
With some smart organization, the boxes dont get damaged at all, and the reels dont mind the strong cardboard material.
>>
>>713689
Hope they work as well as "advertised"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnR_-OREUic
>>
>>713491
The one on top looks like a shallow running Shad Rap. I've got one and its lip design is exactly the same as that.
>>
>>713521
No Browns in SoFlo. Too warm for them. He just has to make do with largemouth, bluegills, catfish, peacocks, other assorted Tropicana and the best saltwater fishing on the planet.
>>
todays weather actually isnt shitty, still dont know if il be able to get out, and if i do where
>>
>>713738
I'm wondering if I will be able to get out there today. About to bring my mom to the hospital for her hip replacement so this will be shitty. But I'm gonna try not to be there all day.

Also tryin to get tomorrow off work but not sure if that will happen.
>>
So the first gilt-head breams have been caught in the area.
Time to get the carp rig out. And make some floats,
>>
Might try to get right down the street to a pond to tr for some fishes, chill but not raining today, maybe il be able to get some pikerel or bass, though i dont habe any weedless frogs with me
>>
File: IMG_20160316_115343022_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_115343022_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
Updated tackle storage
All goes in my bucket (well what I need for any given day honestly
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 600x600
Anybody use these worm binders or anything similar?

>>713930
That's not a bad idea.
>>
>>713736
Neat. I'll stick with my trout, char and salmonids. They make for great eating and good sport.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>713938
I have something that's kind of similar that I keep hooks, weights, and small cranks/grubs/spinners in.
>>
>>713938
>>713958
Those binders are like the size of a CD case. I'm curious if it is possible to take the baits out of their packaging and putting them in the slots. Seems like it could be a little more compact. Then I could attach the "worm binder" to my tackle bag.
>>
File: IMG_20160316_123754056.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_123754056.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>713930
>>713938
Bucket related
3 ice fishing rod holders on outside,
6 or 7 gallon bucket for extra height since I'm a tall fuck
>>
>>713960
I don't see why you couldn't
>>
Lake is open. Makin my first post-thaw open water trip of the year this Sunday!
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
>>713964
As long as some of the scents and colors won't fuck up the plastic, I might think about it.

I don't know if anybody has experienced this, but certain rubbers and soft plastics don't react to eachother very well. I have had scented baits dissolve skirts on spinner baits and jigs after some time. More recently, a PowerBait basically melted onto a Storm minnow.

If you put different color Powerbaits together, the colors leech into eachother as well. I put some green worms and purple worms together in the same package and it stained the shit out of the bag.
>>
>>713979
I forgot about that. If they aren't too expensive you could always buy one and hope for the best.
>>
>>714014
I think they run around $20. Not bad. Might grab one for the hell of it. I'm thinkin if I can attach the straps on the worm binder to my regular tackle bag, it might be nice. Then I can get rid of the dozen or so bags crammed into the side pocket and I could clear out the other 3700 box filled with bags of soft baits and use that box for other shit like cranks, jigs, and spinners that are overflowing from their respective boxes.

I just wonder if 2 dozen bags of soft baits will fit into those binders or if they are moreso meant to put 4-6 worms in each slot and keep the rest of the bag at home.

Also those bags better be sturdy if I'm going to be tossing Gulp! baits with some juice into fhen.
>>
>>714025
>if they are moreso meant to put 4-6 worms in each slot and keep the rest of the bag at home
Probably.

>Gulp! baits with some juice
I dunno man. Might be kinda sketchy. If you get one and it seems flimsy I wouldn't try it.
>>
First (successful) open water trip of the season
Been here an hour and a half, explored some, and caught half a dozen bluegills already
Best part is I'm just a mile from home
>>
File: MTB_IMG_0706.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
MTB_IMG_0706.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>713177
>MTB trout box
finally...
>>
File: MTB_IMG_0707.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
MTB_IMG_0707.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>714082
and
>>
>>714084
Nice box m8, solid fishing booty.
>>
>>714084
Nice little spinner. And I got one of those Lucky Craft cranks (a bigger gold one) in my MTB Pro Bass box last month. They seem like nice cranks. What does it claim the retail on that crank is? Mine said $17.99.

>>714082
This is kinda why I thought about a catfish or panfish box but stayed away from it and stuck to bass. Those few soft baits and rigs aren't bad. And I guess you can never have enough leaders with decent hooks. But I wasn't really trying to get a box of bobbers and hooks every month. I don't even know what you could possibly get for catfish besides terminal tackle and bait.

That being said, the bass boxes still do come with hooks, but at least they are normally hooks meant to be used with the soft baits. Those Mustad weighted baitholders from last month were nice.
>>
>>714044
Yeah I would def put some of the Zooms and other soft baits in there to test it out before I put any Gulp baits in there. I mean they are Plano bags, so they can't be too shitty. But I don't want the little ziploc things to leak. I let my bro borrow one of my boxes with saltwater stuff and he left some bags of Gulp open a little and it made such a mess. That stuff is really hard to clean off too since it is made not to be easily washed away with water.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-16-15-37-45.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-16-15-37-45.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
Hey NE fags, check your states IFW page.

Maine moved open water season up 2 weeks. (Pic related)

MY SEASON OFFICIALLY STARTS TOMORROW!
>>
>>714133
How does the open water season thing work? I'm from Texas so I don't have to worry about it.
>>
>>714133
So what does "open water" mean when it comes to this? Like by boat? So shoreline is still cool?

And does "closed" mean no fishing whatsoever or just no keepers?
>>
>>714136
>How does the open water season thing work? I'm from Texas so I don't have to worry about it.

>Lake melts
>Go fishing

Ice-out is usually mid April near me so it's fairly warm and I go as soon as the lake is open.
>>
>>714140
So can you only do ice fishing if it's not open water?
>>
>>714101
>What does it claim the retail on that crank
$13.99
basically it was a mepps-like/rooster tail spinner and a rapala-like crank which ironically was exactly what I put on the survey they sent me.
I also said they should have put a winning scratcher in mine but did not get that.
>>
>>714133
Mass is full year now. Used to do opening day when I was a kid. They stocked a shitload of trout last week.
>>
>>714197
For Maine we have regulated seasons by county, also each body of water is regulated differently. Some places you can fish year round, some places just fly fishing in the winter. Etc.

Also you aren't going to catch stripers unless it's 50*+ water. They haven't migrated into your water yet if it's below 50. Trust me I check the water temps online daily, and do it myself at my local trib every two days.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Damn, I finally found those jig heads with the little blade in a size larger than 1/8oz. The white one on the right. But they want $5.99 each for them.
>>
>>714220
How large was that pickerel you lost in your video?
I watched but have since forgotten
>>
>>714229
Il talk to an old guy I fish with who has a billion lead molds to see if he has any, he could make what sizes are you looking for ?
>>
File: image.jpg (984 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
984 KB, 3264x2448
So Dick's has a couple nice deals. Lookin for an employee to see what's up with this.

Daiwa Excelcer reels 50% off so $45...
>>
>>714231
probably like 3lbs? idk
>>
>>714240
And you said that was a personal best ? Or would have been?
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>714238
What did I do???
>>
>>714246
nigger what size blade heads do you want? il try to see if i can get you some for cheap
>>
>>714244
would have been for pickerel. I didn't start fishing for them until last year, and only caught a few real late season. they are really fun to catch, going to try to break the record this year.
>>
>>713546
It's not that they're obsolete. They're weed magnets, and the lakes down here are fucking choked with them.

>>714139
Think "open water" as opposed to "rivers and lakes blocked up by ice", and you'll get the idea.
>>
>>713960

Soft plastic baits have "softeners" in them that will warp and destroy other plastics. Ever notice if you keep soft plastics in a tackle box long term, the dividers get warped and stuff?

Keep em in the bags, and don't mix brands.
>>
Got out today at a local pond (literally just over a mile from my house)
Access is quite limited

Also for anyone in the Northeast I feel like this year is going to be bad for ticks (here we had a mild winter)
Not only did I find one in me the other mornign , I found 4 crawling on me when out fishing, one in me when I got home , and just now one crawling on me again

Today's count of fish
7 bluegill/sunfish
4 bass
1 pickerel
1 pickerel lost right at my feet
>>
>>714220

What are the ocean temps by you currently?

>>714246

Buy a cheap baitcaster that will have more expensive line on it than the reel actually cost? Lol
>>
>>714263
>Update
also worth mentioning i have not found a tick on ME in the past 5 years ,
>>
>last minute cramming for finals
>hear a thud outside my door
>open door, see ups man scurrying away
hello beautiful
>>
>>714272
>>714276
>implying anyone could read that chicken-scratch writing anyway
>>
>>714279
fuk nigga y u gotta b mean
>>
I actually like the ACS reel seat. It's great for pitching.
>>
>>714276
>>714280
>>714282

Where'd you buy it from, how much was shipping?
>>
>>714285
Amazon, free shipping.
The blank is unsanded and you can feel the ridges distinctly .This is most inexpensive rod in daiwa's lineup that has all the goodies-zero g, x45, hvf, etc.
>>
>>714253
Idk, those 3:8oz ones had some like 1" long willow blades like you would find on a small/medum spinnerbait. It's wierd how the blades are cinnected tho, they have this peg that a little bearing swivel attaches to.

It's not a big deal. If I really want them, I can order em online. Otherwise on bigger stuff like that I will just use a beetle spin.
>>
>>714287
interesting, what kind of fish will you be targeting with it?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>714276
Looks decent.

I need to find an owners manual for this reel online. Didn't come with a box or anything so I have no clue what to do with this braking system.
>>
>>714289
you havnt looked online yet? i found some for relitivlehy cheap i found some in 3/4 1/2 7/20 1/4 and smaller even if you want links
>>
>>714292
This will be a general purpose rod, with a heavy emphasis swim jigs, paddletails, and spinnerbaits.
Fuji AO guides. I wish mainstream companies would start looking at pac bay zirconium guides more.
>>
>>714294
What reel is that? Are those internal centrifugal brakes?
>>
>>714292
And I just realized I didn't answer your question. LMBass, inshore halibut, spotted bay bass, barred sand bass.
>>
>>714300

How do you like that citica?
>>
>>714306
Very smooth reel. The power is incredible and the form factor is improved from the G series. The gears have very small teeth and all of the bearings are shielded. SVS is fucking incredible and you can absolutely bomb lures 1/2 oz and up. The only difference between this and the curado is that the curado has a titanium line guide(doesn't matter) and s-ar bearings(doesn't matter with proper maintenence),
I have the tatula CT waiting for me at home. I'll do a comparison once I get home for break this friday.
>>
>>714300
Some Wright & McGill reel that had an $18 price tag on it at Dick's marked down from $80. Not sure what's up with the brakes.

>>714296
The smaller ones are easy to find. They sell the 1/8oz ones everywhere but it is hard to find anything larger. I'm sure they are easy to find online but I hate ordering tackle online and paying stupid shipping costs and I haven't really been looking for them that hard. If I see them somewhere for a more reasonable price I will def grab a few and use em eventually.
>>
>>714264
43f, slowly rising. Might get snow tomorrow so I'd image it will drop a degree or two before rising.
>>
>>714315
2$ a piece more or less, for chepe chinese ones though they atually loook alright go on aliexpress and serch for (jig head blade)or something similar the actuall dont look too bad
>>
>>714315
That's a hella good deal. Is it aluminum framed? Where is it made? The brakes look like something from okuma or 13 fishing.
>>
File: IMG_20160316_160531978.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_160531978.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
Posting fishes from today
7 gills(no pictures)
4 bass
1 pickerel
>>
File: IMG_20160316_162456379.jpg (4 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_162456379.jpg
4 MB, 2432x4320
>>714321
Bass 2/4 the two small ones were around 10-13 inches
>>
>>714324
What rig is that? Split shot above snap swivel.
>>
File: IMG_20160316_153234225.jpg (5 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_153234225.jpg
5 MB, 2432x4320
>>714324
Bass 3/4 maybe a bit over a pound, getting close to a pound and a half, chunky little guy
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.