[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Summer Camp Staff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
Hey sc/out/s, why aren't you staffing at a camp this summer?
>>
>>712659
have jobs been falling out of the sky onto your "well qualified, hard working, and very much deserving" head for so long you think this is a real question?
>yes, i'm jelly
>>
>>712659
Because ephebophile. It's just asking for trouble.
>>
File: DSC03676_.jpg (90 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
DSC03676_.jpg
90 KB, 800x533
because I make probably 6x as much per hour as an engineer than I would as a camp counselor, and I don't have to deal with children?

I have to work in the summers ... build my vacation balance back up to the limit before the snow falls next winter.
>taking all next week off to go snowmobiling
Still take a few days off/long-weekends in the summer to go ride the moto.
>>
>>712659
But I am. Sadly it won't be at the camp I've spent the pat half decade at. The BSA Council that owns the camp hired some shitty mormon company to run it instead. First Order of business was not rehiring people that have experience. Second was telling underage returning staff that were were paid last year that there are no paid positions available for them but they're free to do the job they used to get paid 200 dollars to do for free instead. Third will presumably be burning every tradition to the ground like the company has done to other camps.
>>
File: 1313777142002[1].png (17 KB, 327x367) Image search: [Google]
1313777142002[1].png
17 KB, 327x367
>>712677
what camp?
>>
>>712680
I'd rather not say., plus I'm also unsure if the council has even publicly announced the fact that they've contracted a third party to run the camp.
>>
>>712684
oh well, maybe the scouts will get their shit together...
>>
>>712659
I am. Would rather not say which one in particular but it's in Oregon. Hopefully it won't be absolute degeneracy.
>>
Because kids are awful. You can't even beat them anymore. I see some kids in stores treating their parents like shit and I just wish their parents would beat the shit out of them right in front of everybody. Bet they wouldn't act like a nigger then. But no everybody is so sensitive these days.
>>
>>712704
I'm working in Oregon too!
>>
>>712664
It's a nice summer job for college students and the kids aren't always that bad. At least at the end of the day you can laugh about the bad kids with other staff. That's half the fun of working at a camp, the friendships and adventures you have with other staff.
>>
I worked at a camp for 4 years during highschool. I taught rock climbing.

No one from my camp is returning this year. Its a combination of growing out of it and the camp as a whole going to shit. They replaced the badass director with some Mormon fuck. And they dont want to do anything about the POS rental tower we've been using for 5 years since the old one got condemned.

That said, it was amazing while it lasted. I spent my days dicking around with kids on top of a climbing tower and my nights reading books and smoking read with my fellow camp staff. Our weekends were full of batshit crazy adventures into the woods.
>>
>>712684
Its not Grand Canyon is it?
>>
>>712724
Balwin right
>>
File: 4200.gif (272 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
4200.gif
272 KB, 400x300
>>712749
Haha Braydn ur so kool
>>
Working a camp in the southeast for the 6th Summer. Too much change in the council going to have to get out soon.
>>
>>712802
I got out, but I miss it. Might as well start my own camp now.
>>
>>712754
Pioneer
>>
>>712663
>ephebophile
>15-19
summer camp kids are a lot younger than that sillyface
>>
Applied for Philmont, waiting to hear back.
>>
>>712964
It's like 11-17, but mostly only 12-16
>>
>>712751
Nope.

>>712802
I know the feeling. Last year my council leadership went to shit and it's been downhill since. They fucked us over last year and replaced everyone this year.
>>
>>712659
Because I have a real summer job. I also don't work for less than $10 an hour unless it's an internship in my field.
>>
Because I'm a bitter, drunken, angry, worthless piece of shit.
>>
I do! Going back for my 4th year teaching Wilderness Suvival and Search and Rescue.
>>
I did for a year, after I had just gotten back from the army. It was a very surreal and wonderful experience. It was like I had pressed a pause button for my life and just spent time on a lake in the woods and taught kids how to shoot bows and paint for 3 months. Also, the nights off and eventual romance between counselors that happened was nice. It truly was this strange, magical experience that every so often kind of tugs at me. I came into that place a pretty angry person and I left much happier and kind of refreshed and accepting of myself.

I would have gone again, but real life had a constant presence and I had to pay my bills, so I moved to find work.

Still, that one summer is something I doubt I'll ever really forget.
>>
>>713240
Are you me? At least we're handsome, Anon. We still have that.
>>
>>713269
No, I'm not handsome.
>>
>>712964
>>712979
16yo is legal fucking age in most places.
>>
>>713317
how terrifying
>>
File: gridD3.png (37 KB, 187x164) Image search: [Google]
gridD3.png
37 KB, 187x164
>>713317
Yeah but as a counselor you cannot get into a relationship with a camper like that. It's fucking wrong no matter how old the camper or how young the counselor is. Professionalism, nigga
>>
File: 2014 Trail Pic.jpg (179 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
2014 Trail Pic.jpg
179 KB, 960x720
>>712659
I will be heading back to my favorite camp in June and be ready to help. Our camp runs things differently. We have Councilors, and then we have Instructors. Councilors mostly do in camp activities and watch the kids while the more experiences Instructors do a lot of the field activities and don't deal with the kids, but Instructors are also kitchen help and part time cooks. So our hours are long as fuck but nobody parties like the instructors, nobody. Every year we have new nicknames for each other or identities to go with and insist every camper calls us by these names and we call ourselves by said names. And the shit we pulled is worthy of an 80's Teen Summer Camp Comedy...

Who want to tell summer camp stories? I'll start off.
> Doing maintenance before the campers arrive
> next to the dock on shore is this old ass pontoon boat
> bitchin
> we pile on every instructor we have onto the 6x8 piece of shit
> use a trolling motor to power it
> not even making wake as we hum around the lake
> drink beer and play card
> then we notice the pontoon start to list to one side
> so that's why I never saw the thing in the water...
> full power!
> try reaching shore
> "Im givin er all she got cap'tan! I cun du no mer!"
> 50 yards away before shore in 8 feet of water we start nose diving
> jump ship
> only person who says is the Instructor who found the boat
> he hold the onto the railing
> he take out his smart phone
> he plays this ballad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SoU4qzZlcw
> His final words before going down with the ship were, "Gentlemen, it had been a privilege playing with you tonight."
> he salutes
> from that day forward he was The Captain or sometimes Skipper if we were joshing him.

Our nicknames all started with similar fashions and humorous stories.
>>
>>713335
>first session of camp for underprivileged kids
>they only get into the camp by recommendation from a teacher, counselor/therapist, sometimes court order
>for almost all of us, it's our first year as counselors
>our camp director gives us a warning first off that the first session group this year is a tough one
>they're all a bunch of little shits but we do our best
>meanwhile, it rains every single day of the first session
>floods the trails that lead to and from parts of the camp
>floods the beach
>makes everything damp
>impossible to keep anything dry
>halfway through the session, the dishwashers fuck up and forget to put a cleaner agent in the machine after a meal
>we all eat off dirty plates without knowing, and then norovirus hits the camp like a fucking sledgehammer
>80% of the kids are infected and every single staffmember gets it
>the rest of the session our camp director said "fuck it" and we just all watched movies in the gym while counselors took shifts at the cabins with the really sick kids

I have never before seen that much vomit and shit in my life. It got to the point where we didn't even care anymore. I found myself laughing my ass off at some kid when he was trying to talk to me and then puked all over my shoes. Every other session after that was small-time. Session one made us into hardened veterans. Best terrible time I've ever had
>>
>>713335
>First day of staff week
> area plays a game to get to know each other
>game involves throwing axes in a circle
>I go for the behind-the-back flip pass
>my director misses handle and cuts his wrist open
>fml first day and I almost kill director
>>
>>713373
you are responsible for children in this camp?
>>
File: 1414431624292.jpg (6 KB, 275x277) Image search: [Google]
1414431624292.jpg
6 KB, 275x277
>>713373
>throwing axes at each other as part of staff bonding

what the fuck kind of camp did you work at nigga

also, another story from this >>713342 camp, during staff week

>cleaning up the camp to get ready for kids arrival
>myself and my friend get assigned to cleaning off the roofs of the cabins because we work as volunteer firefighters during the school year
>on top of the art building, which has a very steep pitch that leads down to a small flat section of roof before a 20 foot drop
>can't get some of the moss off the roofs without shoving it out with our shoes or boots
>decide to try and slide down the roof with my boots forward to scrape off a big chunk at a time
>look at the other counselors on the ground, take off my shirt and decalre
>"HEY! MY NAME'S ANON AND WELCOME TO JACKASS!"
>slide down the roof like I'm on a skateboard
>approach terminal fucking velocity
>slam into the flat section of roof at about 30000 mph and almost bounce off
>pants are shredded and have a big bruise and abrasion on my arm
>everyone's face when

I was very glad our camp director was not there to see that
>>
>>713317
You don't understand how many can of worms having sex with a camper or camp councilor can open. Unless you really know the individual and it's mutual, stay the fuck out of camp pussy, life is not a cheesy 1980's Summer Camp coming of age comedy.
>>713394
You would make a great instructor at my camp. I like your style

> day before camp starts
> go literally a mile down the road to a local tavern
> with 3 others
> start drinking at 1pm
> we stay til we are cut off
> around 9pm
> stagger back drunk as fuck
> we are so sloshed
> as we walk along the highway we see a cabin with a bonfire
> a bunch of people were standing around it
> lets go say hello
> we stagger on over
> greeted like we are all friends
> tell them we work at the camp down the road
> no kids so celebrating one last day
> one guy at the cabin has a guitar and amp
> we sit and listen
> guys singing name is "Old Smokey Bones".
> alot of bluegrass and folk song
> good fucking last day
> very chill
> that was the start and inspiration of how we got Summer Camp Nicknames
>>
The finest job I ever had was on the maintenance crew at a summer camp. Few responsibilities meant napping all day until a sewer main busted but the sweat was worth all that sweet counselor pussy.
>>
>>713447
>stay away from your fellow counselors

personally, we were all pretty much paired off by the end of staff training. The sexual tension was so thick you could cut it with a butter knife and serve it to starving children in Africa. The relationships never lasted as I'm sure you're aware of, but it was borderline fucking magical during camp.

>passing notes to one another
>going on dates to fuck around at walmart in the only town within 40 miles of camp on your nights off
>fucking like rabbits on the in-between-session weekends when everyone went home
>setting it up so you both taught the same activities
>that mortification when campers asked if you were brother and sister because you were so close

Also, I like to think I was the counselor that did and said shit that he probably shouldn't have gotten away with, but did. Mainly because my buddy from the volunteer department had been going to the camp for years, and the director loved him, and for some reason that meant she loved me too. Favoritism was rampant throughout the camp staff, it was kinda nice for a change. Couldn't get drunk on our nights off though.
>>
>>713447
Are you 12? People fuck like bunnies at camps. Counselors included and with the members if they are old enough. summer camp comedies have that shit toned way down.
>>
File: 1423590280129.png (164 KB, 409x325) Image search: [Google]
1423590280129.png
164 KB, 409x325
>>713570
>fucking campers if they're old enough

you are a monster, keep it amongst counselors and counselors only
>>
>>712749
>mandatory community service in highschool
>pick the AMC
>camping with a large crew of teenagers and 3 adults while doing trail maintenance
>last night of camping
>we all sneak out at midnight and hike to the summit
>there's a monument with a light
>teenage hook ups, a little herb smoke, a few rips off a flask each
I wish I could go back in time, that was seriously a great /out/ experience
>>
>>713453
We Instructors are notorious womanizers. We use to have a Panty collection of all the girls we banged and a competition to see who could have fuck the most with a money pool to the winner, I only won it once.
>>713570
You don't think I have not had my fair share? When pussy juice flowed like a waterfall.

I had a friend face statutory rape charges, but all charges were dropped because the accuser admitted to fabricating the story up. That experience kinda put me off. And it left this horrible taste in the air. That was last year, before they holy dog shit it was great. Once a week on a slow down, but average 5 times a week.
>>
>>713453
>I like to think I was the counselor that did and said shit that he probably shouldn't have gotten away with, but did.
You're proud of doing what you know is wrong but getting away with it?
>>
> 2nd week of kids
> rare time off mid day with nobody having any classes
> nothing to do
> go explore the woods
> find a old decaying barbed wire fence
> we find a rusty role of barbed wire unused
> JACKPOT!!!
> take it back to camp
> we look around our bunk house
> we should pretend we are in Vietnam!
> roll out barbed wire around the bunk
> some guys start to build a machine gun bunker
> we are in charged of uniforms
> dig through the prop box
> find a few jackets, and a helmet
> We also find rock old climbing helmets and construction helmets in the storage
> repaint them brown
> wear them
> they make me General because I have been here the longest
> We hold formations with sticks
> We are the ReRecon
> drawn up unit patch is a backwards upsidedown "R" Under that is our unit motto "Dee-De-Dee!"
> we march around camp whistling the song from "Bridge of the River Kawi"
> then we do room clearing operations after watch a video on youtube of Special Forces glass house routines
> kick in camper's doors and scream GO GO GO!
> scream fr everyone to get on the ground
> then exit
> when dinner starts we do tactical moments all the way to the back door
> kick in door and run in for our shift
> entire camp thinks we are insane and rightfully so.
>>
>>713393
Yeah...
>>
>>713394
Boy Scouts are fucking crazy bro
>>
>>713573
>people fucking other people
>all are legal fucking age

>calls anon a monster

Idiot.

>I had a friend face statutory rape charges

That's underage fucking. Not legal age fucking.
>>
Because I work full time at a suck ass call center
>feels bad
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.