[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/, so I bought my first bushcraft knife to use when in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: new knife.jpg (854 KB, 1959x1102) Image search: [Google]
new knife.jpg
854 KB, 1959x1102
Hey /out/, so I bought my first bushcraft knife to use when in the woods. Thomas T263E stainless steel, integral handle, 4 1/4 inches blade and 2.5mm thick at spine.
I was going to buy a Mora 510 but the plastic handle felt cheap, also the guy at the store told me this one it's a better deal for the price, $17. I did some cutting and felt very nice and sturdy in hand, also sharp as fuck. The only thing I don't like is the china made.

Anyways, how did I do?

>pic related
>>
one of the unspoken criteria for bushcraft blades, to me, is that it has an overpronounced lip above the handle. quillon, guard, whatever it is called. there cannot be any doubt to me, that if im using it in unruly conditions, or need to use it for some heavy duty work, that my hand will slip and cut me open when im miles away from healthcare.

youll notice that almost every popular bushcraftsmen customize their blades to have this lip, but they never add it to their criteria, which i think is irresponsible.
>>
otherwise, that looks beautiful and ergonomic
>>
>>712394
Hehehe you bought a butter knife. Nicely played.
>>
>>712398
Maybe if you didn't have greasy fucking neckbeard burger hands you would be able to hold your knife without your disgusting oily fingers slipping onto the blade.
>>
>>712403
>>712398
These two. Listen to these two.
>>
I have the same knife
Literally no difference
I bought it as part of an IKEA kitchen set
>>
>>712426
The reason you have a guard on your innawoods knife is because of how common an injury it is to slip a hand up the blade (why we don't ever stab).
Cut fingers are not that big of a deal.
But it IS a big deal if your 7 days deep and maybe don't have communication.
You're an idiot.
>>
File: You_suck_dude.jpg (80 KB, 800x650) Image search: [Google]
You_suck_dude.jpg
80 KB, 800x650
Holy shit he bought a butter knife
>>
>>712398

Bushcrafter culture is just a commercial posse and all celebrity bushcrafters are fags.

Of course a guard is important. Every dude ignorant of the current knife fashion will tell you that, wether he's 1st world military or an aboriginee
>>
>>712426
>maybe if your hands weren't greasy from the fat of an animal you were skinning you would be able to hold your knife without your disgusting oily fingers slipping onto the blade.
>instead of getting a knife that's safe to use, just don't ever do anything that will get your hands dirty
>>
a bushcraft knife is literally any knife that you would use for living in the woods don't buy into the Mears hype that a bushcraft knife has to have a scandi grind and all that or that it has to be a Mora. If the butter knife works for you then that's fine
>>
Troll thread guys nothing to see move along
>>
>>712918
I agree, but Mears never hypes anything. He suggests that it is a good choice, but leaves it up to you.

Also, I have seen him using some ghetto ass knives in the past.
>>
>>712949
what i meant was that because of him everyone hypes the scandi ground knives as the end-all be-all knife
>>
>>712952
i think thats more of a product of micro bevels being the worst meme in the 20th century, and full convex grinds being unrealistic. the scandi is the goldilocks grind
>>
>>712394
better bin that knife mate, you might tickle someone
>>
OP you done got scammed m8 shoulda bought that mora the guy wanted you to buy that knife so he would make a couple bucks more
>>
>>712934
No

>>712984
Not britbong m8

>>713009
I don't think so. Knife is fine so far, I haven't tried to batton with it though, and I think I will never do it. It's not designed for that.

One more thing that bothers me is that the knife does not have a sheath, which is kinda odd.
>>
>>713022
>does not have a sheath
Just /diy/ yourself a nice leather sheath. Personally I prefer cross draw because it's convenient and stays out of the way, doesn't impede my movement.
>>
>>713022
It doesn't have a sheath because it's a kitchen knife
>>
File: firest.jpg (130 KB, 706x497) Image search: [Google]
firest.jpg
130 KB, 706x497
>>712394
>the guy at the store told me this one it's a better deal for the price
>the guy at the store
>17$
hereĀ“s something free
>>
>>713101
>>713110
tomorrow I'm going back to the store to ask him.
>>
>>713022
nevermind the fact that it is obviously a butter knife. nigga i can see pits in the blade. pits in a STAINLESS STEEL blade. that is very bad. i guarantee you that it doesnt sharpen or hold an edge at all.

they make sheaths for your knife, but you have to buy them separate. theyre called kitchens
>>
>>713198
just because it does not looks tacticool, it does not means that's a kitchen knife. i like it
>>
>>712426
>i have never experienced working with cold wet hands
>>
>>713363
>i have never experienced working
fuck that fuck me
>>
>>713174
Its a cheapo kothen paring knife. Looks used.
>>
>>713366
*kitchen
>>
>>712394
>also the guy at the store told me this one it's a better deal for the price
What kind of store did you go to? My sister had a knife like that in her kitchen... whoever sold that to you got you good.
>>
>>713226
Thomas knives are kitchen knives. My supermarket was giving them away free if you collected enough stickers. I got a santoku and a chef's knife. They were OK after I took the stone to them but nothing special.
>>
>>713414
Thrift store

>>713425
Country?
>>
>>713455
>Country?
Canada
>>
>>713455
You got ripped OP. That's a kitchen knife but hey, you do you if it works.
>>
>>712394
Not the prettiest thing in the world. I have some cheap steak knives that look quite similar
>>
>>713174
Hes' gonna keep feeding you shit you know, anything that makes him a few more bucks
>>
>>713226
it is a kitchen knife m8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010DX3LK4/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g201_i2_sh just gonna leave this here...
>>
>>713809
Doesn't mean it won't make a decent camp knife though.
>>
iv used old kitchen knives innawoods more than I can recall. a knife is a knife at the end of the day.
>>
>>714651
ehh that metal handle the vibrations sent through will hurt your hand and will freeze on you hands during winter. but i could see carrying a small kitchen knife for food prep
>>
>>712394
I literally own a set of kitchen knives that look just like that.
>>
>>715077
because it's a kitchen knife
>>
>>715072
moras can do kitchen tasks and bushcraft tasks both.
but having a smaller swiss army knife to eat in company without disturbing the shit out of folks could be good.
>>
>>715083
i already use a SAK for food prep but i might get an opinel because it has a larger blade
>>
>>715072
Like I said, camp knife. Not everyone is a LARPing survivalist.
>>
>>713110
That can be done with some cotton?
>>
>>716004
respond :c
>>
>>716326
no im not going to respond fagget
>>
>>716326
Probably. You really need just need wax and a wicking material. Lint is pretty good tinder on its own, but if you're soaking it in wax I don't think it really matters what you use.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.