[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for a job that will let me be /out/ in the woods. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Looking for a job that will let me be /out/ in the woods. I'm going to college soon but don't know specifically what I want to do. I'm interested and good at math and the 3 big sciences (Chem, bio, physics) and with computers.

Anyone here work in one of these areas out in some remote spot? I'm planning on building a small home with my paps in the future, but don't want to be constrained to staying near an office with a cubicle.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Bumpin with another pic I took today in the snow
>>
>>710694
Stunning. Where is that?

Bio will have boatloads of /out/ jobs. There's a shitload of hiking and hauling heavy ass gear in the field of ecology.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>710708
In truckee, went on a hike with my brother and some other people and looked at some abandoned train tracks.

Also yeah I figured bio would definitely have some outdoors stuff, although I might miss plugging and chugging equations in calc.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
One last bump
>>
>>710672
Forest ranger,
>>
File: DSC03824-L.jpg (96 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC03824-L.jpg
96 KB, 800x600
Balance your work/career with your hobbies.
Once you start getting paid to do what was previously a hobby, it stops being a hobby and starts being work.
I've ruined hobbies from taking on contract work in that field.

I have a desk/lab job, but it pays well and I get a lot of vacation. I take weeks off at a time (putting in for another week's vacation when I get back to the office monday).
Also take a shitload of 3-/4-day weekends to go ride.
>pic related, this afternoon

See if you can telecommute... work from home a few days a week. Works for some careers.
>>
>>710899
I think the is the best way to go about it. I work at a software company that pays me a decent amount but is also pretty laid back. Can work from home a lot and take a lot of vacation days. I make good money so I can purchase whatever kind of gear that I want and traveling isn't a huge expense.

I work part-time/volunteer at a State park on weekends and while it doesn't pay much I get to work in the /out/ with a cool crew.
>>
Major in Business Management, Forestry, or Wildlife Management. And get some police training. Become a Park or Forest Ranger. Or you could work for parks. My Uncle is a Manager for Parks & Recs of the county he lives in. Cool job.
>>
Forest Ranger
Park Ranger
Zookeeper
Parks & Recs
Sports Coach
Commercial Fisherman

I personally became a nurse. Being a male, I only ever want to get put in the ER or ICU which is fine. It's the highest paying fields of nursing. I have long brutal hours but it's worth it because I always have 3-4 days off a week to do what I want.
>>
>>710672
There's a lady out where I live that takes contracts on her herds of cashmere (?) goats, to clear hard to get to areas. (Like steep hills.) She's always busy.
>>
>>710672
I'm starting with the fish and wildlife commission in Florida. The FWC has a pretty low bar for entry. If you like outdoors it combines a cushy federal job with a great office.

>bachelor degree to sub for experience
>paid training at law enforcement academy
>weapons and law enforcement training
>take home duty vehicle , ATV+boat

After a couple of years I'll either stay with it, transfer to another state, or go park ranger mode.

I really want to so search and rescue so I'm going to pick up EMT certification on the way.
>>
Look into the environmental sector, you'll find jobs that are out related that will involve some time outdoors and some indoors, like carbon accounting, land surveying, etc

Pick something you have an interest in.
>>
>>711155
>>710899
Might do something similar to this. The other posters were suggesting rangers, and parks and rec and don't get me wrong those are good jobs but I might miss the rigor and excitement of not understanding or solving math/science related stuff.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.