[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any such devices to where I carry a GPS tracker and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Are there any such devices to where I carry a GPS tracker and anyone with a code or link or something can see where I'm at? Bonus points if it has a SOS button to call 911 or something, like those things they make for old people that have fallen and can't get up.
>>
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews
>>
>>710521

"I've fallen and I can't get up" is their registered trademark

kek
>>
>>710521
>Are there any such devices to where I carry a GPS tracker and anyone with a code or link or something can see where I'm at?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Packet_Reporting_System

>SOS button
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_position-indicating_radiobeacon_station
>>
>>710521
train a dove m8
>>
>>710521
>Are there any such devices to where I carry a GPS tracker and anyone with a code or link or something can see where I'm at?
Any smartphone with a GPS should have an app for that.

>Bonus points if it has a SOS button to call 911 or something
Call 911 on your smartphone with GPS and tracker app.
>>
>>710918
There isn't always cell service in all areas, though.
>>
File: DSC01465 2_.jpg (155 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
DSC01465 2_.jpg
155 KB, 800x533
>>710521
>SOS button to call 911

what is SPOT
what is InReach

APRS works, but it's not a simple, neatly-packaged consumer device. Also dependent on terrestrial digipeaters with access to a gateway.
PLB/EPIRB/ELT ... meets your "SOS"/911 requirement, but doesn't do any sort of tracking.

InReach is my recommendation because of the network (Iridium).
SPOT will also meet your requirements, though the GlobalStar network isn't as solid as Iridium IMO.
>>
>>710936
I've heard some fun stories about people triggering those for dumb shit
>>
>>710521
Yes, InReach. Get one, it's awesome.
>>
File: DSC_4270_-L.jpg (76 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4270_-L.jpg
76 KB, 800x533
>>711259
Local rescue team has a story about a guy who would turn his PLB on for a while then off again. Happened every weekend or so for months. Beacon was never registered.
One day the beacon was activated and never turned off, position indicated it was mobile and on the highway, then parked in a residential area. Searchers found the beacon in the car and contacted the owner.
Owner was a backcountry skier who was activating his PLB thinking it was an avalanche transceiver (LOL).
http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_14169778

Like I teach in classes... "Know your equipment". Not just what it does, but also its limitations in a rescue/emergency situation.
>>
>>710922
You can download maps from Google maps ahead of leaving, and your GPS will still work.
>>
Plb works anywhere in the world. If you value your life and family get one carry it and pray you never need it
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.