[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the tasmanian tiger still exist have you ever gone camping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 17
File: 090103-tasmania.jpg (110 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
090103-tasmania.jpg
110 KB, 650x366
Does the tasmanian tiger still exist have you ever gone camping deep in the tassie forests and spotted one?
>>
Op please...no

many have searched none have found evidence, hell there arent even foxes in Tasmania and we still pay millions to a "fox team" to make sure they definitely aren't alive!

Yes camped there a bit, headed over to the west coast and central highlands in April. Will report back on no sightings of Tasmanian tiger
>>
>>709994
/tas/ thread

Looking to do a bit of a trip on a motorbike down from Vic and keen for some pretty sweet isolated camping. Where do you recommend?
>>
>>709942
The last died of neglect cause some wanker left it out to boil then freeze. Nah mate. Dead for sure, maybe the Devil will follow in a while.

Hope to do the overland track, though I've got to get me experience up and find a good time for it. I heard that they've actually had the idea of investing in bushwalking infrastructure for all the walkers to enjoy. This true? Did this make the Tassie wilderness wheelchair accessible or just make the path a bit more pleasant?
>>
File: tasman12.jpg (107 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tasman12.jpg
107 KB, 640x480
>>709942
>Does the tasmanian tiger still exist
yes, and they make nice products
>>
>>710210
I came here to post this. God tier mole pouches
>>
>>709942
>Does the tasmanian tiger still exist
yes. i've been given a task to kill it and recover biological samples. btw my name is William Dafoe
>>
>>710242
>William Dafoe
any relation to the green goblin?
>>
File: IMG_20160312_181427333.jpg (543 KB, 735x1306) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160312_181427333.jpg
543 KB, 735x1306
>>710214
>God tier mole pouches
mein neger
>>
>>710027
No not wheelchair accessible. More like huts stocked with firewood. Drop toilets etc
>>
>>710010
West coast is stunnings not very traveled. Piemans, zeehan etc is great.

Central higlands walls of Jerusalem, lake st claire and down to the south west wilderness and strath gordon. Get on the ferry and do it. Ive done a 3 week trip 3 years ago and about to do another two weeks ill put up a thread when im back
>>
File: 2010-12-29 12.05.09.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2010-12-29 12.05.09.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>710010
Dumping tassie
>>
File: 2010-12-30 11.20.40.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2010-12-30 11.20.40.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>710422
>>
File: 2010-12-28 13.13.00.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2010-12-28 13.13.00.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>710422
At Stanley north west tas
>>
File: 2011-01-02 11.27.54.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2011-01-02 11.27.54.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Montezuma falls
>>
I drove down the east coast once for a holiday, it was beautiful. Cataract Gorge was probably the best bit.
>>
im from tassie currently living on the mainland, want to do federation peak when I'm back down, anyone here done it?
>>710010
Also recommend west coast, majority of tourists go to cradle or the east coast
>>
I live in north Tassie. I bushwalk a lot but don't have my own car at the moment. Gonna try and fix that real soon, I'd love to go and see up around the Great Lake and west coast. Never had the chance.
>>
File: image.jpg (625 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
625 KB, 3264x2448
>>711867
Great Lake is nice, never seem to do too well fishing without a boat but still catch a few, quality pub too
>>
File: IMAG0276_1.jpg (940 KB, 3450x1533) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0276_1.jpg
940 KB, 3450x1533
Just finished up a geophysics survey in Western Tasmania. Pic related is from an instrument deployment on the Mt McCall track. Could see Frenchman's Cap from the summit. Dumping a few more photos from the fieldwork.
>>
File: IMAG0179.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0179.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>711956

Deployment near Granville Harbour.
>>
>>711956
But did you see a tiger?
>>
>>711957
Holy shit you mad cunt. Living the dream.
>>
File: IMAG0280_1.jpg (667 KB, 4086x1182) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0280_1.jpg
667 KB, 4086x1182
>>712697

Saw plenty of devils but no tigers. There aren't any left. We would know. Because science.

Pic from Mt Ben Lomond yesterday.
>>
>>712756
>there aren't any left.
I think you're wrong.
Seen one in 2008
>>
>>712756
Whats the work opportunities like down there in Tassy?
>>
>>712765
Hear that boys? He saw one.
Turns out everyone's wrong.
>>
>>713629
Idgaf wat u think about me, m8. Seen it wiv me own 2 eyes
>>
>>712840

Pretty shit. I'm doing a PhD so gainfully employed (but poorly paid) for the next 3 years.
>>
>>713636
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>713720
Tbh if I got pictures of one I wouldn't show anyone, will try though once I retire and spend the rest of my days bush
>>
I've never seen one so I can't say for sure, but I work with an old fella who used to have a farm way out in the Tassie boonies and all the farmers around there swore tigers were still running around. Of course, they wouldn't tell anyone, only a fuckwit would announce that there's a presumably extinct marsupial living in his backyard
>>
>>709942

Yeah there's heaps of em, you can find em where the abos live
>>
>>714819

I think you got zozzled, mate
>>
Over here in the south west of WA we have some large dense forests, and often we have sightings of tiger/puma creatures, in particular the Nannup tiger. Some say that it might be small pockets of thylacine, or possibly escaped zoo animals or exotic pets brought over on ships back in the day.
Reminds me of an incident in the NT where some pig hunters shot a hippo that had escaped from a rundown zoo years ago
>>
>>712765
>>713636

If tigers still existed they'd be woefully inbred. Any population remaining would be ravaged by canine distemper virus, so we can be certain that they don't exist.
>>
>>715714
>canine distemper virus
Nope, try again mate. To quote McOrist (1993, Australian Mammology) "No evidence of skin lesions due to canine distemper virus was found [on the two preserved thylacines that were inspected]. This has never been shown to infect marsupials and is extremely unlikely to affect thylacines."
>>
Jesus, Australia is beautiful.
>>
>>716203

The rainforest, sure. I'm a bit over the eucalpytus scrub though
>>
>>710242

What was that movie called again? It was pretty good.
>>
>>716301
>not appreciating the haunting emptiness of Australia's native scrub land.

Time to kill yourself cobber.
>>
>>716301
Anybody who can't appreciate dry sclerophyll forests is a fucking faggot
>>
>>716372
>>716379

Stinking hot, dry, dusty, fuckin spiders and snakes everywhere

nothanks.jpg

I'm waiting to hike through some of that god-tier Scandinavian pine forest
>>
>>716139
Were the specimens introduced before the widespread introduction of canines in Taz?
The Royal Society has published work suggesting that CDV was a causative agent.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2293938/

I agree that viral diseases are uncommon in marsupials, they are not unheard of. There are known cases of opossums contracting distemper in North America. Just because marsupials may be CDV resistant doesn't mean they're immune.
>>
>>716419
>The Royal Society has published work suggesting that CDV was a causative agent.
Do you mean to say a causative agent of thylacine decline? I'm not picking at semantics, just trying to clarify what you meant. And the article that you linked makes a single postulation that CDV may have contributed to the decline of the thylacine, based on a single reference from 1961 (of which I cannot find an online source and don't really feel like going through ancient copies of Australian Journal of Science at the university's library). I think it's pretty safe to say that CDV didn't play a huge part in the decline or extinction of thylacines.
>>
>>716386
so, in short, you're a fucking faggot
>>
>>716429

Calm down, skippy

The world is bigger than Straya, believe it or not- despite what your tattoo says
>>
>>716442
>I hate Australia so everyone I'm arguing with must be a bogan
If you can't embrace the Australian climate and if you can't see the beauty of dry sclerophyll forests littered with xanthorrhoeaceae, then yeah- you're a faggot.

Also, I've never heard of a 'the world is only Australia' tattoo, but nice attempt to discredit me via hyperbole.
>>
>>716453

Wow bro just stay chill eh

what the fuck's up with your anger? Can't afford a plane ticket?

>YOU FUCKING LOVE IT OR YOU GET THE FUCK OUT YOU FUCKING FUCK FUCK FAGGOT

LOL

I was going to admit that I don't mind it so much in the winter, but you're on a whole other level of buttmadness for some reason
>>
>>716455
>umad bro?!
Nice argument. Not sure why you think I'm mad but it seems like you can't handle being called a faggot. Have fun being sad that you live in a country with some of the greatest /out/ features in the world, faggot.
>>
mate i used to go hunting out past st george ive seen some things that still give me chills like huge black panther type cats
and wombat like creatures with a rip your tyres to shreds used to have pics probable still do just in one of my many boxes
>>
>>716461

Well if you're calling me a faggot you're obviously mad. It's 4chan mate, stop trying so hard.

>inb4 FAGGOT
>>
>>716461
>not sure why you think I'm mad
>gets mad

kek

Actually, probably not so much 'mad' as 'pissy'. You know, like faggots get.
>>
>>716465
>if you're calling me a faggot you're obviously mad
>It's 4chan mate
These two comments are contradictory. Work on making logical arguments.

>>716467
Still not mad and also
>samefag
>>
>>716469

I'm obviously every person on 4chan, really. Also, you need to learn what contradiction is.
>>
>>716470
>I'm obviously every person on 4chan, really
That's funny because 60% of the posts in this thread are mine and I'm not even the person you were originally arguing with
>>
>>716471

>I'm not even the person you were originally arguing with

Neither am I

>That would explain all the shitposting
>>
>>716428
Simply meant that the article SUGGESTS that CDV was a causative agent (a factor, not the sole factor) in the decline of the thylacine. Dr. Paddle ("The Last Tasmanian Tiger: The History and Extinction of the Thylacine") cites earlier accounts describing the epizootic outbreaks saying, "In the wild it was anecdotally described as 'distemper' or 'mange' and distressed individuals.... were easily killed, and when snared, frequently made little attempt to free themselves, and often died as a result of the additional trauma of capture." That disease outbreaks occurred in the population is a matter of historical record, but since the last one died seventy years ago this July, no one can authoritatively say that CDV (or variant) wasn't a factor in decline (albeit probably minor, but within a population weakened by lack of genetic diversity). Remember, the thylacine was already extinct in Australia and New Zealand before the government bounties.
>>
>>716535

Anybody who thinks that CDV was a causative agent in the decline of the thylacine is a FAGGOT
>>
File: 220px-Hunter_ver3.jpg (23 KB, 220x326) Image search: [Google]
220px-Hunter_ver3.jpg
23 KB, 220x326
>>716363
Excellent /out/ movie.
Check'd
>>
>>716535
>thylacine
>New Zealand
It seems that arguing with you is a complete waste of time because you've made it clear that you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>716535
>Simply meant that the article SUGGESTS that CDV was a causative agent
The article doesn't really suggest that at all, it just cites a relatively anecdotal report from 1961 to help improve the validity of the current study (which has nothing to do with thylacines).

>no one can authoritatively say that CDV (or variant) wasn't a factor in decline
Using that logic, no one can authoritatively say that rabies wasn't a factor in the decline of the thylacine. However, you can be sure that no real academic authorities will agree with you.
>>
>>716464
This thread got pretty shit, I wanna see pics of giant wombats
>>
File: drop bear.jpg (48 KB, 795x480) Image search: [Google]
drop bear.jpg
48 KB, 795x480
>>716968
>>
>>709942
They need to clone some new ones. It shouldn't be hard.
>>
>>717078
As far as I know, with appropriate funding it could be done right now, using the Tassie Devil as a surrogate. However, there are HUGE ethics impacts and getting the appropriate permits for it would likely take years and cost more than the scientific process.
>>
>>716858
>>716862
rekt
>>
>>711956
Looks like you have a kick-ass job, those are both sweet looking trucks. I'm curious about the details of your job. Is it for oil/gas exploration?

Right now I'm working at a geotechnical engineering company doing soil exploration/classification for building foundations. Soil bore sampling, drilling, pile driving, seismographs, blah blah blah... After a couple years I'd like to find a job doing something more /out/ there. Now I work outside but is on vacant lots in high-end neighborhoods and construction sites...
>>
>>716708
Not really an /out/ movie per say but it is a good movie.
>>
>>718590
>firearms
>almost all the movie set in the wilderness
>crazy landscape shots
>greenies vs industry
>mysticism surrounding the thylacine
It's /out/ as fuck and it's 'per se' you fucking pleb.
>>
>>718163
Negative, paleontology assumes New Zealand had tigers, because it was part of the Australian archipelago (physically connected) as was Tasmania. Fossils just haven't been found yet in NZ as they have in Australia
>>
>>718613

Sounds cool. I think it must be the law now that if you have a movie about Aus / NZ that Sam Neill has to be in it kek
>>
>>716455
>Fuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkk better overreact and call the other guy pissed just to make myself look calm and good.
>>
>>718908

Your opinion has been noted in the Big Book Of Opinions. Thank you for taking the time to contribute.
>>
>>718827
No it doesn't. New Zealand broke off from Gondwana 85 million years ago, long before any modern marsupial species had evolved. New Zealand has never had any mammals other than bats. Where are you getting your information
>>
File: IMG_1739.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1739.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>716473
Yeah I'm the bloke that was all like "fuark australia is beautiful" I have to say, that other guy seemed like a real faggot, whoever he is.

Anyway, I was in the Nasho the other day (The oldest National Park in the world). Got murdered by leeches. There's plenty of gorgeous littoral rainforest, Riparian forests and the like around in this country if you know what you're looking for.

There's a great deal of ecological diversity in this country f.a.m, there's literally nothing wrong with euk forest and scrubland cunt. What is wrong with you? (if not you then disregard).

Anyway, made a friend.
>>
>>719475

Don't mind the rainforests at all. Nah the euk forests aren't so bad I think it's just I've had more than enough of them. Every fucking family holiday since I was born. I wanna see some of that beautiful boreal shit that people are posting from N. America and Europe.
>>
>>719745
Boreal forests are nice and all, very comfy. A little too comfy for my liking though. When I go out, I want to feel insignificant, vulnerable. I want to be reminded of my mortality and I want to feel a connection with my ancestors. I never got that from what you're describing as beautiful as it is. Beautiful in the same sense a pussy is, or perhaps a butterfly. Thank you for your consideration.
>>
>>719755

Well I'm not an abo so if I get a feeling of connection to my ancestors it'll be when I'm somewhere in europe.
>>
>>719789
Do you need a house sitter?
>>
>>719755
>Beautiful in the same sense a pussy is, or perhaps a butterfly.

Because they both fly away when you come near
>>
>>719792

Weird question but nah I'm moving there permanently in a few months' time
>>
File: origin-fatwire.jpg (142 KB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
origin-fatwire.jpg
142 KB, 650x1000
>>719797
haha top bant m8
>>719798
good riddance, hope you don't come back.
>>
File: GissaCiggieCunt.jpg (115 KB, 900x598) Image search: [Google]
GissaCiggieCunt.jpg
115 KB, 900x598
>>719816

Enjoy the bounties of the outback m8
>>
>>719816

Why the hell is the bush fucker man sitting on some newspaper? kek

>arse is too sore from being raped by aboriginies
>>
>>719838
that rock looks sharp as fuck
>>
>>709942
I kayaked a good portion of the Franklin river for 5 days nonstop and I definitely saw no traces of Tasmanian Tigers.

It was good for the first two days but it rained non-stop for the next 3 days and it became so cold, damp and uncomfortable. I almost fucking died at one point, its probably one of the worst experiences of my life, glad I did it though.
>>
>>720430
What time of the year did you go m8?
>>
>>720430
>I kayaked a good portion of the Franklin river for 5 days nonstop and I definitely saw no traces of Tasmanian Tigers.
Were you actively looking? Do you have any training or education (official or otherwise) with background on trace evidence that thylacines might leave? Are you familiar with other fauna in the area and confident in identifying them (e.g. differentiating between different types macropods)?

I hope these questions don't come off as arrogant or stand offish, they're not intended that way. I'm just generally curious and trying to get a better understanding of the background knowledge of people who travel to remote areas that once did hold thylacine populations.
>>
>>720430
>kayaked a good portion of the Franklin river for 5 days nonstop
Could I do that and bring my gf along? She can paddle and portage a boat. We go out for sometimes 20 days (have to be home when she's bleeding).
>>
>>720499
Spring, it's still fucking freezing though

>>720543
Well no, but there were lots of traces of other animals that were fairly obvious once we became accustomed to the landscape. It's not lke hundreds of others with actual experience haven't looked before me though. You're welcome to try if you really believe they might be there, the ttrip will be worth it anyway.

>>720635
I can't describe how uncomfortable it got. It was so damp we couldn't get a fire or even the fuel stove going on some nights. My ass and back were in constant pain from being confined to the kayaks for too long. Morale was fucking miserable among our group of 5 by day 4. Even the guide who'd done it before (a friend of one of the guys) was contemplating calling it quits and phoning a helicopter.

I'll have a look for the maps when I get home
>>
>>713735
>if I got pictures of one I wouldn't show anyone
Ask me how I know you're full of shit.
>>
>>720688
How do you know?
>>
>>720697
This is 4chan. We're all full of shit. Plus what's the point of taking pictures you're never gonna share with the world?
>pics you weren't supposed to share
>>
>>720704
>what's the point of taking pictures you're never gonna share with the world?
looking at them yourself?
>>
>>720704
>what's the point of doing something meaningful if you're not going to show everyone
are you 12?
>>
>>719816
What's the deal with Europeans, white south africans, new Zealanders, and ausies wearing the shortest shorts possible inna bush? Not trying to troll I just don't understand. Do you people not have mosquitos and ticks?
>>
>>721446
When it's 40*C in the shade, long pants are a genuine health risk.
>>
>>721624
so the cool air flows right up the bedouins dresses or what?
>>
>>721446

It's mainly the baby boomer generation that wears those ultra-short ball huggers. I think they became popular in the 70s. Younger folk tend to go for the looser fit cargo style shorts that go down nearly to the knee.
>>
>>721651
>everything I know I learned from the internet
>>
>>721679

lol the fuck

how old are you, sunshine?
>>
>>721680
Old enough to be the idiot that impregnated your mother
>>
>>721624
I deal with similar temps with 60%+ humidity. If I go into the woods in wearing pants. Protect my legs from brush, ticks, mosquitos, etc.
>>
>>721681

lol fuck off dad
>>
>>721803
Go to your room!
>>
>>721803
>dad
Nope, it's Uncle Mike, we thought you knew.
>>
>>722389

fucking hell, mum's a slut ay
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.