[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Backpack thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 30
File: pack.jpg (135 KB, 410x500) Image search: [Google]
pack.jpg
135 KB, 410x500
hey /out/, my main bag is finally falling apart after to be honest moderate use. Everything about its size and design was perfect but it was made like shit so now I'm in the market for a new bag. What do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a big bag for camping trips and a small one for just day hiking trips. Preferably they have molle so I can attach shit to them.

Otherwise backpack general
>>
Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100 would be expensive but very high quality. It can be a 60l bag or unzipped for a 100l bag for your camping trips. They also come (sold separately) with side pouches that are 12.5l each. These are the bags that the British Special Forces use and I love my 45l Sabre.
>>
>>709071
Jesus fuck, I wish people would check the catalog before making duplicate threads.
>>
>>709092
I swear I checked it on my computer and I didn't see shit. Then when I was browsing on my phone 10 min later I saw the like 10 other threads then I felt like an asshole
>>
File: IMG_20160103_174634259.jpg (4 MB, 2952x5248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160103_174634259.jpg
4 MB, 2952x5248
>>709071
I have the exact backpack in ops pic. I bought it for like 90 bucks at a army surplus shop, surprisingly it's a pretty damn good pack, I bought it as a travel backpack and its served me well the last 3 months (last 2 have been in India) I like that it has built in packing cubes in the front bottom pocket and inside the bigger pocket, the large pocket also has 4 zippers so side loading/top loading are both easy to access. I know it's a
>condor
But it's not bad for the money and has a lot of room (50 liters)
>>
File: 81d9ZCIOzZL._SL1500_.jpg (268 KB, 1089x1500) Image search: [Google]
81d9ZCIOzZL._SL1500_.jpg
268 KB, 1089x1500
Berghaus vulcan
80+20L military grade pack
Im going homeless with this pack soon
>>
File: medicpack.jpg (241 KB, 1082x548) Image search: [Google]
medicpack.jpg
241 KB, 1082x548
hey OP you might look for one of these for a small day pack, that's what i just bought mine for. really nice pack and comfortable. got mine for $50.

>>709170
be careful with that shit, pack theft is a thing, especially if you're green and have something nice and fresh like that.
>>
>>709163
i can't tell for sure but i'm pretty sure that's a cat. how'd you fit 50 litres in a cat
>>
File: 188259i_ts.jpg (139 KB, 1154x1154) Image search: [Google]
188259i_ts.jpg
139 KB, 1154x1154
I use this at work, and at play, with an alice frame,though the small buckle pouches below the small zipper packages are garbage for getting anything out in a hurry.
>>
>>709251
>at work
wat
>>
File: IMG_20151229_113004636.jpg (3 MB, 5248x2952) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151229_113004636.jpg
3 MB, 5248x2952
>>709234
She wanted to come to India with me, to bad she's 15 years old and drools when you pet her
>>
>>709258
Army stuff, i like it because its huge, and the zippered compartments are baller as fuck for keeping small shit easily accessible
>>
Do you guys prefer wide boxy "military rucksacks" or consumer tall and skinny hiking backpacks like an Osprey?
>>
>>709170

>military grade
>no MOLLE on back

Yeah okay.
>>
>>709409
tall and skinny keeps the weight close to your back and over the hips. it's a huge advantage as far as effort and comfort.

the military packs are shaped the way they are so that the helmet doesn't hit the top when going prone, and also to allow access to equipment along the belt and sides.
>>
File: -berghaus-crusader-90-20-mmps.jpg (124 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
-berghaus-crusader-90-20-mmps.jpg
124 KB, 600x600
>>709413
Not every military pack has molle all over, idiot.
And by the way they come with molle too. I just dont want any molle on mine because im not attaching any other bags to my pack (which is what molle is for, not just to look tacticool).
>>
>>709428

I carry a 50 liter Military ruck sack and it's comfortable to carry on 5-10 mile trails. However my back get's wet and sticky because there's no good ventilation. Thinking of getting an Osprey Aether 60 or 70 for 3 day fishing trips.
>>
Osprey, yo.
>>
>>709512
Direct action ghost lad.
>>
>>709516
Seems really zomgtactical, no offense. Plus... European, I don't carry. And 31L vanilla? Not counting additional bags, fair enough, but still too small as I usually go for week-long hikes in total autonomy. And I don't think I'll ever drop the comfort brought by the atmos' Anti-G tech, as faggy that makes me appear
>>
>>709535
Yeah im oz so i dont carry either. Yeah it is pretty tactical, im thinking of getting for 1 night trips
>>
>>709535

What size pack do you carry? I'm planning on 5 day 4 night trips and was thinking of getting an Aether 70 or the Atmos 65AG.
>>
>>709557
Ofc it depends on the way you pack and the size of your gear. I find the 65 to be good enough, 70L is on the big side for a 4-5 days trip
>>
>>709565

Just your typical hiking/backpacking setup. I also have a stuff sack that I keep my sleeping bag and spare clothes in. It's a 35 liter. Are their straps on the Atmos 65 AG to tie that down? And I carry an axe and bucksaw with me and would tie that down on the outside as well. And space for my dog's food and treats.
>>
>>709568
Since a 5L difference isn't that much, it shouldn't be (imo) the principal aspect you'll choose from. The Aether is on the heavier side. For me, it's best on winter when the gear carried is bigger. The Atmos is both lighter and have a top tier ventilation, and can still take overpacking. People around me have had many years of good use with an Aether, personally I rock an Atmos for dat fully meshed hipbelt, really feel like I'm not carrying any bag.
All in one your best bet would be to test both loaded bags in a shop, emphasize on loaded. Some shops (around me at least) have weights you can put in the bags.
>>
File: GZ30.jpg (27 KB, 312x440) Image search: [Google]
GZ30.jpg
27 KB, 312x440
Just bought a gregory Zulu 30 after finding that my old army pack had finally fallen apart- too many patching jobs wore it out I think.

So far I love it. it mounts the pack off your back a little bit so air gets through a gap and keeps your back from getting super sweaty which is really nice
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 384x384
instead of a pack I want to go with the condor mcr7 as a vest allows more pouches at the front/to hand
however what I need is a large rear pouch or even a 20l pack that can be attached as a large pouch
any ideas?
>>
>>709916
pretty much anything milsurp. there are nice ones i've seen that fit the bill but i have no idea what they're called. if you don't want to go that way with it as far as the pack attachment you're probably kind of fucked.
i have a blackhawk vest kind of like that and i would never trade my pack for it.
>>
File: 253594_20265_XL.jpg (313 KB, 1014x1219) Image search: [Google]
253594_20265_XL.jpg
313 KB, 1014x1219
I'll leave this here.
>>
File: images (28).jpg (23 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images (28).jpg
23 KB, 384x384
I'll just leave this here
>>
>>709163
Have the same condor pack also. Used as my primary for two years and still holding up good.
>>
>>709916

Try the USGI sustainment pouch / TAG Sustainment pack. http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore. com/packs-bags-pouches/packs/combat-sustainment-pack-a-tacs.html#product_tabs_description_contents. The 200 SAW pouch will be suitable as well.
>>
File: 51212_20160114_085205110[1].jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51212_20160114_085205110[1].jpg
12 KB, 300x300
Something must be wrong with 4chan today. You guys keep posting the wrong packs.
>>
>>710260
>Milsurp bag
>on /out/

Yeah and /o/ loves Auto Zone tier intake filters.
>>
>>710269
>every bag but 2 in the backpack thread are militaria
>/out/ hates it
fuck you and your shit containment board
>>
>>710257
cheers m8
>>
>>710277
milsurp packs are for LARPers mostly
no reason not to get an actual backpacking specific pack
>>
>>710519
>no reason not to get an actual backpacking specific pack
Unless you're a poorfag
>>
>>710522
yeah, but a pack is worth splurging on desu. the only thing worse than an uncomfy backpack is uncomfy shoes
>>
>>710525
Believe it or not, some people find their poorfag milsurp gear comfy. I have a 50L "actual backpacking specific" pack for multi-day expeditions, and a 30L MOLLE ruck that I use for overnighters in the summer. Both are equally comfy to haul.

Some people on here mainly hate on milsurp because of what you said earlier, it's stereotyped as something kids who LARP their call of doody fantasies who use. I'm not one of those people though, so I could care less what some autists think of my choice in gear.
>>
>>710519
you're fuckin retarded if you believe that shit
proper milsurp offers much higher durability for most times less than half the price.
and it doesn't look like mommy and daddy bought it for me to hike around my gay little college town, which is totally preference, but i'll take a utilitarian pack over some bright orange and green hipster faggotry that costs 4 times as much
>>
File: 1450741727486.jpg (165 KB, 694x530) Image search: [Google]
1450741727486.jpg
165 KB, 694x530
>>709477
goodbye cartilage. it was nice knowing you.
>>
>>709413
dutch army issued them for a while. best pack i have ever seen. only get chinese knock off shite now.
>>
>>710759
I dont get it

>>711035
So its a bad idea to buy a berghaus vulcan today? How do i know if theyre chinese?
>>
>>710260
real alice pack is best pack
>>
>>711071
I think >>710759 is relating the size of the pack with the weight it can/is carrying. The more weight you carry and the longer you do it, will put tremendous wear on your knees. If you wish to have any amount of life after 50, you will take as good a care of your knees and back as you possibly can.
>>
>>711099
So hes saying its a big pack basically?
Alright then what are we gonna do, ban all packs above 70L?
>>
File: kelty.jpg (42 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
kelty.jpg
42 KB, 600x600
I have pic related. It replaced a ~25 year old kelty of similar model when the frame snapped. Called kelty to get a new frame. Wasn't available so they cut me an awesome deal on the new pack.
>>
>>711131
he's saying if you use it to capacity stuffed with heavy shit all the time you'll wreck yourself. which is total common sense.
>>
I have pic related, I haven't had much use out of it yet due to the past few months terrible weather (Scotland + winter), but in the coming warmer months I hope to get as much out of it as possible, it's pretty comfortable, and has tonnes of space as well as the option for adding additional pouches to the exterior, the largest compartment has a clamshell zipper too so it's easy to pack, only downside is no chest strap but that can be bought separately for cheap
>>
>>712163
I was thinking about getting one mil tec backpack. Recently bought cheap chinese poliester pack and before a year it became garbage desu. How the material feels? Its cordura od poliester? Is it thick enough to carry extra weight attached to mole straps?
>>
>>712243
It feels pretty sturdy and thick, there are some YouTube videos of people reviewing this and the other sized packs that helped determine my own decision to buy it and I don't regret it, this one in particular is very well made and informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Fxyx70fkc
>>
>>712250
Thanks for opinion. I will probably buy one of these "laser cut" backpacks, I hope that it wont loose color due to UV and water like my current pack.
>>
>>712258
No problem, although I will say I can see the fading eventually being a possibility but a good rain cover should help solve that. As for sunlight fading it, I am unsure as it's rarely seen in the UK, best of luck to you!
>>
>>712153
I've beg looking online for something like this frame/pack combo she was actually looking at kelty. Specifically something that will last me a good 7 days innawoods, and I like the idea of being able to repurpose the huge frame to carry lumber for the week or whatever I need. I might just pull the trigger and but it, thx anon
>>
>>712375
I wouldn't use it to carry lumber. External frame packs offer the advantage of being able to strap things onto them, but you need a pack cover to ensure waterproofing. That pack weighs in at about a pound, so the frame isn't going to carry the lumber as you're thinking of.
>>
>>712153
>external frame

WHAT DECADE IS IT
>>
>>712163
Which size do you have? Which one do you recommend for medium short outings?(1-4 nights)
>>
Have a Rush 24 that I've used as a day pack while working cutting brush and chainsawing in the middle of nowhere. I don't plan to do any long hikes with it because it is kind of cumbersome. It should be a good pack for canoeing the whole summer along with another pack but I'm not sure what kind yet
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>712163
I have one of these and it last one summer. One of the shoulder strap came out of the bottom and ripped the rest of the bottom of the pack. So I have switch back the pack in OP picture it has worked for me for two departments and 13 years of use.
>>
>>712994
And the passage of time reduces their utility howww? My external frame is:

>vented as fuck
>easy to strap extra/irregular shit to
>cheap to replace
>more than big enough to carry all my shit.
>weighs about 1 lb
>>
Need a good bag for interrailing for a month, looking at Osprey, will also probably use when I go to Thailand for a month, also planning to do the PCT in a couple if years so if I still have it then, will be using it for that. Looking at about 100L, specifically, the Xenith 105, any recommendations?

TL;DR is 100L too big? Any recommendations for size/brand?
>>
>>709270
Fucking. Adorable
>>
Been looking at Osprey packs, I hope to get into extended canoe/hunting/backpacking trips, maybe even embrace my /out/ism and become homeless for a while and I would like to have all my gear in one bag. My only problem is I do not know what size to buy. I'll have a sleeping bag, hammock/tarp/pad etc, changes of clothes, dehydrated foods, rice, cameras, batteries, a pot, a cup, drugs, laptop, small solar charger, some fishing stuff, maybe some other stuff idk. The hope is to have the bag usually in a canoe, back of a motorcycle or something so I don't have to carry it all but if I have to trek a distance so be it. Is the Osprey Aethers 85 too much bag or should I go that big just to be safe?
>>
>>714474
I'm >>713866

Pretty much in the same boat as you my man. Think I'll get the Xenith 105, especially since the bag itself doesn't weigh too much.
Let me know what you go for, since I'm curious
>>
>>713125
>>weighs about 1 lb

which pack is that? my cuben fibre pack with carbon fibre rods weighs that much.
>>
>>713866
100L is fucking huge, I guess you're going to be living out of it but still. You don't want to A: overpack because you have so much space and B: not utilize the entire space of the pack
>>
>>709170

Amazing pack.
>>
>>713866
thailand will require about 40 liters capacity for everything unless you overpack a ton.

PCT takes about 60L since it can take 5-7 days between resupply.

get something in the 55-65 liter range, 100L is for cold-weather mountaineering and shit.

>>714474
85 is really big, look at 65ish if you plan to go on long trips or with bulky equipment.
>>
>>715569
>>715554
How about the Osprey Aether 70?

Also, would it be a problem if I got the 105 and just didn't fill it?

Thanks for your help guys
>>
>>715685
Okay, what's the deal? Why is the 105 Xenith barely any heavier than something like the 65 ag atmos? Feels like I might as well get the 105, unless underfilling can cause problems?
>>
>>715411
Oh I read it wrong. It weighs 5 lbs. Nevermind.
>>
I got the Snugpak Sleeka Force 35.
It doesn't have all the useless small compartments and is only 1 kg in weight.
Going camino de santiago in Spain and hiking in Poland for two weeks.
>>
>>715810
How do you cover food on trips like that? Lots of dehydrated or just pick up fruit at the markets?
>>
>>717267
Yea that's the plan. The bag has two big side compartments which I'll use for plastic water bottles (1.5 liter each). There's many refill points in Spain. We're traveling from 4 am to 12, so we eat in the morning and when we arrive at our destination.
For Poland I guess we'll have to carry more food with us, but I still have to look into that. We may just go from hostel to hostel.
>>
Can you recommend a good possibles / ditty bag? What I'm looking for is something I can take with me when I've got my camp that I'll return to set up and I want to go and explore for the day. Something small that won't get in my way that I can throw a few items in before I take off (map, compass, lunch, water, flint).

I like the over the shoulder things but I hate how they flop around when you bend over or run.
>>
Anyone have any experience with ULA, especially the Circuit or Catalyst? Apparently they're tough for ultralight bags and popular for thru-hikers, but they don't look like they have much padding on the back.
>>
Just how durable is the ALICE Pack? Recently acquired a medium sized one secondhand, has US printed on the front, full metal frame. I live in a semi-small town in southern Utah, more urban area, so I don't get /out/ often especially due to some recent medical issues, have yet to use it for hiking/outdoors. But I really wanna pack it for SHTF, get innawoods, etc and need to know what needs to be in it and how well it will work as an outdoor travel pack.
>>
File: 71ybVfHVDyL._SL1200_[1].jpg (248 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
71ybVfHVDyL._SL1200_[1].jpg
248 KB, 1200x1200
Hey /out/ been thinking about buying
>pic related
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0132JUAJ6/ref=s9_simh_gw_g468_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=1SE8Q0GN98J1HFXNF5TT&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869762&pf_rd_i=desktop

Does anyone have experience with this brand?
>>
>>719752
I have a 5.11 rush 24 and a 72. Both look to be an identical design to that pack, probably roll out of the same factory in the Philippines.

Pretty standard stuff. A few nice touches like the sunglasses fleece pocket behind the top handle and lots of compartments. Good for a grab bag, or a more compartmentalised duffle replacement.

Try to not pay much more than a hundred for these kinds of bags.
>>
>>719713
Extremely durable. Terrible for your back long term.

Alice style packs are designed to have your sleeping and less used items in the guts, and a multitude of exterior pockets for quick access to ammunition, water, food etc. Many pockets mean less chance of losing items if you need to abandon a position. The pack is also shorter in length to allow vision over your shoulder or lay prone and not wear it as a hat.

This means the pack is bulbous and puts extra leverage on your spine. The harness and frame don't properly hipload without considerable modification. The whole time you wear it there is a shearing effect on your spine from the straps and the hip pad.

Overall the pack and frame will be physically durable enough to carry a heavy load, but by no means will it be comfortable or good for your back long term.
>>
>>709170
>Im going homeless with this pack soon
>80+20l

Should be pretty nice living inside that pack.
>>
>>719758
lol I would say the same the same thing to customers about our chairs when I worked at office max before the merge.

customer: "whats the difference between these two?"
me: "good chance that there is no difference since they both come from same chinese factory.
>>
Not recommending anything but Ive got two sets of packs that I use. I purchased the Isle Royale Bushcraft along with the basket for some support and later on a NF Terra 65.

The Isle Royale would be used only for short camping trips and the Terra for longer hiking trips.
>>
>>719761
I see. Thanks for the answer.
Should I search around for a good suvrival backpack the same size but better for long term carry? I wouldn't know where to start or how much I should expect to be paying.
>>
>>709413
Packs like those rarely need molle.
>>
File: J79 medley sm 2.jpg (97 KB, 420x577) Image search: [Google]
J79 medley sm 2.jpg
97 KB, 420x577
Anyone have any experience with the Eberlestock Skycrane II Pack? Or any similar like the operator pack. Seems good, maybe a bit pricey. I'd like to use one for personal use(hiking) and perhaps military use.
>>
>>715703
>>715685
Some bags compress really well and are still functional when under-packed. That pack is so large though that I doubt you'll utilize the space enough which will cause the load to be unstable.

With backpacking the major thing you want to look for is comfort and load stability, a good backpack can make a 50 lb load feel like 30. This is because it will cinch down the weight to portions of your body that are better suited to carry it.

I don't know if you work out much, but if you do you know that it is much easier to squat 300 lbs than it is to curl it. It's the same idea with a backpack, the load is easier to lift/ carry when it is stabilized and carried properly.
>>
anyone have any suggestions for a fishing backpack?
>>
>>720233
Thanks man, this makes a lot of sense.
People like you are why I love /out/
>>
except for the gregory and the osprey most of the packs here are crap.
>>
Could anyone help recommend a good (but cheap, like $50) bag in the 30-40L range?
There was one recommended in a thread a few weeks ago but I lost the paper I wrote it down on.

I don't really need it for camping so much currently (though I'd love to have it converted to a bugout bag in times of non-use). Does need to be water-proof or have a rain-cover because I spend a lot of time on the ocean (sometimes by airplane so it needs to be good for carryon. not bulky)

I do a fair bit of short travel between some countries and cities close-ish to me. I don't like to pack heavy/bulky when I go, just enough clothing and the such to be cozy and not smell like a samsquanche.

my old bag took a bit of abuse but was a cheap knock-off. Saw it's final day when I was leaving Cambodia.

I want Osprey because the few Osprey things I do have are fucking DEEEcent! but I can't justify the price right now :(

Also I can only order things to get shipped to Korea right now ;_; (gmarket if you know it, is good)
>>
>>713866
>>715685

I just finished a few days in Shenandoah borrowing a friend's Aether 70. It's comfy and it's got more than enough room for a week's gear in warm climates and if you pack conservatively. But it's a little heavy to begin with and has a bunch of extra features, straps, and pouches that I didn't need. Some people cut the extra crap off to save weight. Great pack if you don't mind the weight or the cost, plus you can get Osprey hip belts custom molded. Xenith 105 is far bigger than what most people need. 70 liters is probably more than what you need for Thailand, but it's great for most general backpacking.
>>
File: P1000427-900x675.jpg (256 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
P1000427-900x675.jpg
256 KB, 900x675
I have an Osprey Atmos 65 AG but it's not really good for carrying extra things. What sort of MOLLE bag should I get for when I need to bring a shovel, axe, rifle, fishing rods, etc. for hunting/fishing/general multi-day trips?
>>
>>720214
Will last forever but they're very heavy and are more expensive because muh tactical

It'll be around 30% heavier and more expensive compared to a regular hiking pack of the same carry capacity
>>
>>721084
I see, thanks for the reply, very helpful.
>>
>>710260
I don't want to pay forty bucks for a metal frame so luckily I had some spare titanium tubing. I will post next week when I weld it all up and weight of it
>>
>>710592
quality post
>>
>>721040
Ruger should really stick to revolvers and bolt-actions. They don't know how to make anything else.
>>
>>710260
Lmao no.
>>
File: bfosd.jpg (156 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
bfosd.jpg
156 KB, 800x800
Ok so I've been mulling over what kind of backpack I want to get for a while and I'm still not sure.

Everyone recommends the 'modern' style stuff with the lightweight synthetic fabrics but I worry that it won't be rugged enough, and will be filled with holes after the first trip. However I've heard a few people say that the shorter style military packs are bad for your back.

I want to use it for camping, hiking and travelling so a good all-round pack would be great. Something robust with not too many sub-pockets would be good. As for size I'm not sure. I've bought a cheapie 35L pack and it's definitely not enough, but I dunno about those massive 60L plus packs.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>721645
>what is the single most popular .22 rifle, with the largest aftermarket, by which all other .22 rifles are measured
>>
>>721828
I've got a Camelbak BFM that I use as an everyday bag, it's about 50L, I've had it over a year and it still looks new (after I've cleaned the mud off), really a fantastic bag, it comes with a 3L hydration bladder, very robust bag
>>
File: Savotta Jääkäri.jpg (100 KB, 550x744) Image search: [Google]
Savotta Jääkäri.jpg
100 KB, 550x744
Why does this make my junk go all tingly when I look at it?
>>
File: $_1.jpg (196 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
196 KB, 800x1067
bleeding over from /asp/ here.

I'm an airshitter and I'm looking for a bag to keep my airshit stuff in while going to a multi-day event. It doesn't have to be able to survive a multi-hour hike, it just needs to be able to haul a lot of shit efficently.

I'll be needing room for:

>Platecarrier
>helmet
>2xairshit guns
>socks and undies
>waterbladder
>Sleeping-bag+bedroll
>other menial shit you normally take while going out.

pic related is the carrier and helmet for a sense of scale.

On another note, what's the most efficient thing to use when sleeping that isn't a tent?
>>
>>721914
What is that? I need it
>>
>>721982
For how long will you need to carry it comfortably? Speaking from my experience in the armed forces it's difficult to fit a plate carrier, helmet, guns, camping equipment and misc in a bag that is comfortable to carry and isn't a huge and expensive bag.

So what's your budge and how far will you want to carry it?
>>
>>722024
hardly very far. It's literally just to get from the train-station to the site, which is about an hour's walk away.

I've considered a duffel bag but the mass of what I have means it would kill my hands.
>>
>>722005
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/savotta-jaakarireppu/33028/
>>
>>721982
get an ILBE pack like this one.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/916408/military-surplus-ilbe-rucksack-nylon-marpat

you can even feel like you're military when you lug it around.
>>
how is the yukon alpha?
>>
>>722064
So I had a look and, being a britbong these were showing up at 300 pounds at the lowest, assuming you wanted shoulder-straps.

I don't think that's what I'm looking for.
>>
>>722037
The ideal pack for this is a large military backpack but that will either cost you a lot or be of very low quality. The budget alternative is a duffel (the easiest way to organize a plate carrier, helmet etc without a specialized or very large backpack) with backpack straps. Something like this, https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/base-camp-duffelmedium-cww2

Alternatives are backpacks like http://snigeldesign.nordicshops.com/product.html/120l-ryggsackssystem--12-2 or http://int.berghaus.com/vulcan/421323.html , what we actually use when we need to carry that shit.

If I were you I'd walk with the plate carrier and helmet on and a gun in a sling- this is generally much easier than cramming these items into a backpack meant to take clothes and food. The rest, camping equipment and an extra rifle, can fit into a 'normal' size hiking backpack for a fraction of the cost of a Snigel or Berghaus pack.

Concerning your question about sleeping out. What weather (temperature and wetness), how long and how uncomfortable can you accept?
>>
>>722037

>take a taxi
>>
>>709071
The answer is always Kelty Redwing. Only reasons I don't have one is because I'm poor, already have an Osprey Mutant 38 and Aether 70, and didn't know about the Redwing when I got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY
>>
>>722119
>got them, rather
>>
File: 61m9RmSAaDL._SL1000_.jpg (78 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
61m9RmSAaDL._SL1000_.jpg
78 KB, 1000x1000
heres one i use. bring it hiking, camping, work. its held up flawlessly. small but efficient. 50$
>>
>>722119

How many liters is the Whipsnake?
>>
>>722302
I would at least 600L. Cant lash much to the outside though so that sucks
>>
>>722302
it depends on the edition. but i know steve climber and he never goes outside without wearing the archwood flextrek 37000000 sidewinder i series. and that has about 600000 cubic inches of space.
>>
>>720112
It all depends on how much you want to carry and for how long.

Most modern hiking packs have hipbelts of some variety and thus are vastly more comfortable with heavy weigh over long distance.

Price will vary depending on brand, technology, weight and capacity.
Some popular military brands are Mystery dance, tactical tailor and kifaru.

Popular civilian brands include Osprey, berghaus, arcteryx.

I suggest you do research and try and get hands on with the packs. Learn what a pack is supposed to do and how its supposed to work with your body.

Here is an article comparing some packs.
http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews

Also never every pay full retail price from outdoor retailers. That shit is made for cents and even the wholesale prices are next to nothing. That's why outdoor shops have year round sales.
>>
>>710519
I actually really like the alice bag itself. I wish someone made it in a light ripstop. I like the external pockets for organizing shit and making it easily available, I like that it's short like a technical pack, and I like the middle of the road capacity, especially when paired with pockets.

Strait vertical frames fucking suck, which is why I slapped a 1606ac on it, and the straps are also awful which is why I use some from DownEast.

Alice bags are a good place to start, I went on my first ice cave digging trip with no backpacking gear on a budget of 200 bucks.

Since then I've upgraded a bunch of stuff, but I was fine before.
>>
>>722386
I don't understand mystery ranch.

Why does it seem like everything military/hunting specific they have is over 100L?

Does anyone really carry more than 50L inna main compartment?
>>
>>722092
Hmm, I have a small-ish duffel at the moment, it could probably hold the all the bulky shit while I keep the rest of the stuff in a daypack I have.

As for camping, It's near september in the UK, which averages out to be 14 C with and average minimum of 9.6. I have a bedroll and an outdoor sleeping bag that's rated to -15 IIRC.

>>722115
middle of the countryside, no services that I could find, which is why I'm asking for help.
>>
>>722396
Yes for military sustainment out field where you basically live out of your pack for up to 5 days without resupply. You also would be carrying extra ammunition, bombs etc. You might also be carry equipment for your section not limited to medical and communications equipment. You may also carry body armor in the pack when conducting admin moves.
>>
>>722402

BS you wanna look tacticool

>what is uber
>what is booking a taxi
>what is getting a lift with someone else
>nowhere in England is really in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>722402
If your daypack can hold the extra weight, try slinging the duffel above it and behind your head, I've carried my fair share this way. Otherwise, try fitting your duffel on your chest, like a 'reverse' backpack.

Regarding sleeping, the best way to sleep out for me in the military has been a solo tent, it's small, light weight and can take just about any type of weather if you buy a good one.

If you're on a bit of a budget a tarp can take you a long way, the only restriction can be if the ground is very wet and soggy- but you can still make it work. I've seen plenty of workable infographics here.
>>
>>721914
that might do anon. very good layout. no stupid pouches on the sides, but the belt looks kinda wimpy though.
>>
>>722182
My nigger, I used the same bag. Really like it as a range bag and day hike ruck
>>
>>722407
But ALICE are only 50L in the main compartment, what changed?
>>
Why is this entire thread tactical packs?
>>
>>710592
treat ur shit with a lil care and you'll get the awesome function of a civilian pack and the durability of a canvas ruck

the only time i've heard a hiker/backpacker complain about the durability of civilian packs are train hoppers, who have to regularly toss their fully loaded packs off of moving trains onto whatever stone or gravel turf is on the side of the tracks. but, out of about 7 trainriders i've known/talked to, only one says that he needed a military surplus pack because he found the other ones were falling apart. 2 of the others had owned both in their lifetime and preferred the civilian pack for weight/waterproofing, and the other 4 had never used a military pack but were quite confident in their civilian packs.

so if you need to rationalize to yourself why you bought some heavy, uncomfortable bag go right ahead, but don't try to claim it's actually better.
>>
>>724004
Yeah dude. I have zero complaints. The bladder was torn on one side when I got it but they gave me no problems in getting a new one. I love Condor dude. Their shit is not overly tacticool, and it's durable as fuck.

It has enough molle to strap my first aid kit to and a sleeping bag and I'm good to go. Everything else I need for the day or two fits snuggly inside.
>>
>>720214
that's the pack i'm getting, i shoot a lot and lighter material packs don't hold up well particularly in the Aussie bush
>>
File: 1457588885115.jpg (242 KB, 2048x1896) Image search: [Google]
1457588885115.jpg
242 KB, 2048x1896
>>724248
this is the tactical backpack thread edition, first of it's kind it's sure to guide anons to purchasing the best and most quality 60 dollar ALICE pack
>>
>>713125

Those of us who prefer external frames are a dying breed. I like 'em cause I find them easier to pack than an internal frame, and in theory can allow for heavier loads more comfortably, at the cost of general bulk.

Though I need to buy a new one at some point. I haven't gone backpacking in a long time, and the only multi-day pack I have is a 45L high sierra internal frame pack my wife got for cheap on woot once.
>>
>>725207
Internal frame technology is just too good these days. I'm only using
An external frame for loads over 30kg.
>>
>>712163
Milfag here, use this as a daypack almost every day. Good pack. Trips longer than 3 days or winter overnighters I have the duth military berghen
>>
I got an older, beat up fjällräven kanken as a gift
want to use it for flyfishing and carrying my dslr

does anyone have experiences with the practical weather resistance of this bag's waxed fabric?
does it withstand stronger rain?
>>
File: images_Marine_Ruck_Review_1.jpg (156 KB, 360x335) Image search: [Google]
images_Marine_Ruck_Review_1.jpg
156 KB, 360x335
>>709071
The standard issue ILBE the Marine Corps uses is a good bag if your looking to go heavy. They also issue a assault pack that is pretty good except it doesn't hold as much as i wish it did. The ILBE will run you $140 range and the Assault pack $75 range. a nice plus is both packs are made to attach to each other.

personally for a assault pack i would go with the 5.11 24 bag. it has everything i like about what the Marines issues me without the downfalls.
>>
File: frightened copper.png (199 KB, 453x719) Image search: [Google]
frightened copper.png
199 KB, 453x719
>>709935
>>710068
WE'VE GOT TWO UNATTENDED BAGS ON THE PREMISES.
>>
File: 1457695532322.jpg (11 KB, 173x215) Image search: [Google]
1457695532322.jpg
11 KB, 173x215
>>727539
>>
>>727539
lol anon
>>
File: image.jpg (235 KB, 651x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235 KB, 651x850
So I took the plunge and bought my backpack I've been wanting for two years. How'd I do? It's a mystery ranch asap
>>
File: AL5A1081.jpg (457 KB, 1080x1620) Image search: [Google]
AL5A1081.jpg
457 KB, 1080x1620
>>729292
Nice, anon.
I have the camelbak trizip, though I hear the mystery ranch is better, Still very happy with mine though.
I use it for biking, hiking innawoods and one-nighters over the treeline. Looking to add a DSLR molle pouch and make it my designated camera bag, too.
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.