[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Choose one... Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13
File: IMG_20160310_172510.jpg (5 MB, 3550x1994) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160310_172510.jpg
5 MB, 3550x1994
Give me a reason
>>
>>708198
the SW75 cos i need a new folding saw
>>
>>708207
Op here.
I own SW73... Great tool - better than the laplander for sure
>>
There an actual need to carry both an axe and folding saw? I was thinking of getting a folding saw for Winter hunting trips because I could also open it up an use it like a squeegee to move snow away for a camp.
>>
File: SA-GR17.jpg (8 KB, 300x282) Image search: [Google]
SA-GR17.jpg
8 KB, 300x282
>>708198
None. Because pic related.

/thread
>>
I can think of two drawbacks to a folding saw: breakable and only has one function. With an axe you can do things like shaping, pounding.
However the weight difference is so great, I favor the saw just to give my back a break.
>>
>>708226
You must be retarded virginfag...
Pick one .... None .... Wow such imbecile
>>
>>708198
Of those I think I'd take the fiskar x15, I like length on my axes.
>>
>>708198
Fiskars 15.

Cause I used to have a smaller one and when I finally moved up to a midsize axe I realized my folly. Everything is easier with more handle and the head is essentially the same and the weight difference is negligible. As far as the saws go, those look like the blade slides into the handle and that seems like a FUCKING TERRIBLE idea to me.
>>
File: GB scandinavian forest axe.png (27 KB, 660x360) Image search: [Google]
GB scandinavian forest axe.png
27 KB, 660x360
>>708198
>plastic tools

lol
>>
>>708198
i like the action of the fiskars saws what i don't like is the fuckhuge button or screw or wtf on the side which makes it very fucked up to pack or carry.
>>
>>708307
Aint that big of a problem
>>
>>708198
Why would I need mini-axes and shitty saws? I don't do any sort of wood carving while /out/ that would require either one. If I did, I'd use the proper tools for those jobs, not this shit.

I don't even need tools to collect firewood. I use dead fall in sizes small enough to break-to-size with my hands.

At least those two wooden handled axes on the far left can have their shitty handles removed and replace with proper wood handles. If the wood is any good you can use the old handles to whittle out a spoon or something. Though, oak isn't really suited for that.
>>
>>708330
Then dont reply to this post? It's that simple... Noone cares that you dont need ... Noone even vares who you are we all anons
>>
>policing who can post and who can't
>policing thoughts

GTFO
>>
>>708198
Anything by Fiskars/Gerber is trash-tier ( sorry /out/ ) so I'd go with the Bancho products simply because I'd want a product to last. It is worth noting that Morakniv actually has a great hatchet on the market made with boron steel ( although the black coating they use is horrid ) and Opinel makes a good folding saw. TOPS also has a great gem in the Wolf pAX 2 you may want to consider.
>>
>>708217
Depends where you live, if you just intend to process thin firewood then a saw will do just fine but for splitting bigger pieces of wood or building shelters a saw+hatchet/axe will do just fine.
>>
>>708217
Yes. But it depends on what you do in the woods.
>>
>>708430
whichever dumbass made this obviously don't camp in cold weather, nor can he into cozy campfire cozyness
rocket stoves and fire holes don't warm you up and a fire serve more purpose than just cooking
>>
File: You are a retard.webm (579 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
You are a retard.webm
579 KB, 1920x1080
>>708451
>needing more than your gear to keep you warm while camping in winter.

Get better gear.

Also, you can make a campfire very easily with deadfall. If you are having trouble finding deadfall, in the woods, then you are probably camping in a state park. So, buy your pre-split wood like every other state park camper trash does.

These armchair campers are really getting more stupid every year on /out/. I think it has much to do with the fact the asshats in /b/ and /pol/ tell people to go >>>/out/ when they don't like something. So, we are left with an influx of fucking moronic shitheads like >>708451 who can't think how to make a camp fire with deadfall.

Hey asshat, GTFO /out/ and GB2 >>>/b/ you dumb shit.
>>
>>708442

I hike along the eastern US. Mostly Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. I typically do fine splitting wood with my 6" knife or Machete and something makeshift as a hammer. But I was wanting to go on a bushcraft hike and don't know which I should carry. Firewood around here are hardly ever wider than a soccer ball.
>>
Is there any point of making some specific theme? Everyone just talk nonsence fucking ignoring subject
>>
>>708330
This. Wood processing tools are for storing and aging logs for a fireplace. When out, dead fall is more than enough.

Why would you pack the extra weight unless you were a car camper?
>>
>>708584
Hear, hear.
>>
>>708302
>>
>>708584

If you are out in the snow like I often am on hunting trips, then dead fall is going to be frozen. I always carry a small axe to chop down some smaller trees. But for your typical weekend hiker or camper, bringing anything other than a knife to split some small wood is pointless and extra weight.
>>
I think people often overestimate the size of log you can realistically tackle with just a hatchet. It ain't much bigger than the maximum a folding saw can get through.
>>
>>708593
I've snow camped many winters and I've never had trouble. I've had to dig through 4 feet of snow to find dead fall before. Normally, in that situation it is easier to just find a dead tree or fallen tree.
>>
>>708198
>>708198
This is way too vague ... Choose one for what? Backpacking ? Survival? Camping?

If I absolutely had to choose just one based on nothing at all I suppose it would be the fiskars long handle.... Most functionality, you can make a shelter, chop down trees for fire, defend yourself, etc

Can't defend yourself with a saw, can't chop down a large tree with a saw, can't split logs efficiently with a hatchet
>>
>>708749
W-was it uphill, grampaw?
>>
File: thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>708198
let's see. shit chinese steel, shit chinese steel, shit chinese plastic and steel in 4 sizes, shit chinese steel, shit chinese steel and 3 more shit chinese steels.
>>
I have X7 just to make sure.
>>
>>708235
Who bucks firewood with an axe? No one.
>>
>>708818
Plus this saw
http://www.specshop.pl/product_info.php?products_id=9024&language=en
>>
>>708789
Both ways.

>not even joking
>>
File: IMG_20151223_135320.jpg (827 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_135320.jpg
827 KB, 2048x1536
Why one?
>>
File: IMG_20160121_134321.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_134321.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>708823
No one.
>>
File: IMG_20160120_160351.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_160351.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>708886
> Sven saw best backpack saw
>>
>>708330
>>708584
>>708590
the thing is that is what i normally do.
i don't even take out my axe unless i need it.
if i can find dry deadfall of adequate size that is going into the fire.
it's just that sometimes you won't find any small stuff and any dry stuff.
happened before that only thicker logs inside was dry enough to make fire.
>>
>>708883
x7 is way more compact and it does the job
>>
>>708823
i sometimes do but it's because one of my fave areas has a ton of fallen trees that aren't rotten and are quite wide (too wide for a saw unless i bring a big bow saw) so i just chop away with an axe. though my scenario is a tad bit extreme anything else you really don't even need an axe a hatchet+good folding or otherwise compact saw will do more than ok and then just bring a small knife for the fine tasks and you're golden.
>>
>>708888
im gonna trust you because magnificent quads
>>
>>708302
This, I'm with the other guys that would pass on most of them, none of those axes have a profile worth a shit on the wood I split. Probably have to go with the larger folding saw because it's nicely portable.
>>
>>708888
I have 5 of these sitting in packages on my bedroom floor.
>>
>>708198
No.4 Because can be held with either one hand or two and doesn't look particularly bulky or heavy
>>
>>709795
wat
>>
>>709832
I've told this story before. I was in steelville, missouri and there was a real shitty thrift store there and they had brand new in package (old) sven saws. They were the minnesota made ones and you could tell they were pretty old, but unopened. I bought every one he had for 5 bucks a pop and kept one. He said he had a ton more in storage but I was just driving through and since I live in oregon, there's no way I'm ever going back. Was gonna sell them to anons or on craigslist but I'm lazy.
>>
>>709889
Also, in the next town, Cuba, Missouri, there was an antique shop with an old marbles safety axe in perfect condition for 50 bucks that I passed on like a dumbass.
>>
>axes
>handsaws
lamo
>>
File: 1456634653488.jpg (201 KB, 921x691) Image search: [Google]
1456634653488.jpg
201 KB, 921x691
>>709891
>anon comes alone and points out that you'll run out of fuel and that you'd need to be car camping to bring enough to last an appreciable amount of time "axes don't run out of fuel"
>defensive anon says he'll use a STIHL electric chainsaw and a solar panel to recharge the battery

>anon points out you can't recharge the battery at night or in bad weather
>defensive anon says he'll bring along his wind turbine and bicycle electric generator

>anon points out that there may not be wind and it will take you more than 10 hours of hard cycling to charge up the battery.
>defensive anon grits his teeth and shifts in his armchair thinking of a good contrarian reply

>3rd anon, butts in and reposts this >>708430 image and says you both are more tools than the tools you are using.
>>
>>710080
and they live happily ever after
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.