[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
portable water treatment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: lifestraw-1000x1000_1.jpg (59 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
lifestraw-1000x1000_1.jpg
59 KB, 1000x1000
there are a lot of options out there, and a lot of science behind them

what do you use?

leaning towards iodine myself
>>
Chlorine Tablets, boiling, sawyer
>>
>>708110
Sawyer. Cheap and easy. Get 2 pouches and make a gravity filter
>>
>>708114
>>708115
so why the big fans of the sawyer?
>>
>>708130
Cheap ($20-$25 or so), guaranteed to filter like 100k gallons of water, smaller and much more versatile than lifestraw, comes with more accessories than lifestraw, trusted brand (not some no-name chink shit).
>>
I saw a video a few months ago (probably from here) about a new water filter that they claimed you could use any source of water to pump it into a bottle, at one point they fill a bottle from a muddy puddle on some grassy mountain range. If I recall one of the product designers or company men was actually on the travel using the device.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>708130
It's just the obvious choice, I tried a life straw but it's not as versatile. With the sawyer you can drink right from the source like the life straw, you can filter water into your bottles for drinking later on, you can filter water into a pot for cooking, make a gravity filter like others have stated, and the list goes on. Being able to screw it onto a bottle just makes it so much more functional.
>>
I bring a Sawyer Squeeze and boil it. Keep some purification tablets in my first aid kit just in case I can't get a fire going. Should probably get a stove but I can't be bothered.
>>
so what's the carch?

are there some things they don't filter out?
are they really really slow, or unsuitable to filter litres and litres of water for cooking?
>>
https://www.rei.com/product/866422/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter-system-4-liter

There a bit expensive, but they have a super long warranty and are amazing
>>
Katadyn vario

does the job, not to many concerns here in Australia re water quality at least not in southern NSW, Victoria and Tasmania but lightweight, fast and easy to clean
>>
>>708750
Sawyers? No catch, but you you do have to use common sense. Periodically back-flow to keep it clean, don't let it freeze, don't try to filter mud (or at least pre-filter with a handkerchief). And throw away the stupid kit it comes with and just gravity feed.
>>
>>708110
Iodine, boiling and Lifestraw are proven to work. Sawyer is proven to give out after a short period of time.
>>
>>711037
this
>>
>>711037
>>711147
And yet, there's a ton of people (myself included) who have been using a Sawyer for years without any issues.

You're basing your "knowledge" off of a report you probably didn't even read, and are just regurgitating crap you read on 4Chan of all places. I have first-hand experience, and trust Sawyer completely.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.