[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beekeeping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 350x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 350x245
Wanting to keep honey bees for the first time this spring. Wondering if anyone here has experience. Recommendations on bee species, research websites, equipment, honey collecting methods, etc would be awesome. I live in western PA if that makes a difference for any of the above.
>>
>>707926
Alls I know is if you beekeep, bears will come. So take whatever prep and precautions seriously. Every beehive in my town was wrecked by bears last summer. It was actually kind of a big deal
>>
>>707927
Bear sightings are few and far between where I am.
>>
>>707926

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghJL_zTvlLU

Aussie invention so you don't have to open the hive to harvest. Fucking genius.
>>
>>709103

Kickstarter was successful, it's now at
http://www.honeyflow.com/
>>
>>707926
I have a few hives. Join whatever club/bee keeper's association there is in your area, they will help a great deal.

Keep in mind that this shit isn't easy. In fact, it fucking sucks. You have to break down the hive like 2 times a month to keep them from welding the frames to the box and building dozens of wax bridges between the frames. If you let them do this, it will tear up both the frames and the honeycomb when you finally get your lazy ass around to opening the thing up.

If you have problem animals in the area, use electric fencing. Add "apiary" to you search terms.

Also, if you have monocrop farming in the area, you'll probably lose your hives in the winter.
>>
>>707926

beesource.com is a good website for info.

On said website you can find whatever beekeeping association is close to you like >>709124 said and join it

Don't listen to these 2 assholes: >>709103 >>709105 the flow hive sucks dick and wont teach you anything about beekeeping.

You live in PA you will have bears. you'll need electric fence.
>>
>>709318
>Don't listen to these 2 assholes: >>709103 >>709105 the flow hive sucks dick and wont teach you anything about beekeeping.

As a bee keeper, I really want to try it. It is intriguing.
>>
>>709318
Do you have any insight as to why the flow hive is shit, or is it only that you think its a poor starting point for someone new to beekeeping?
>>
Obligatory

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFz9gt0-Fc
>>
>>709649
>discussing board topics around shitposters.webm
>>
>>709318
>the flow hive sucks dick

Jelly.jpg

Also, most amateurs don't want the hassle or the opportunity to fuck their colonies. Flow is awesome.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.