[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleeping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Untitled.png (314 KB, 998x452) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
314 KB, 998x452
How do you sleep while /out/?

I got some questions as a noob myself; basically how would I be comfortable during the summer in New England?
>>
in a sleeping bag on the ground, in a sleeping bag in a hammock. also a tiny pillow.
>>
>>707787
Typically I curl into fetal position and lie awake pretty much all night. I sleep in snatches of a few minutes at a go til some noise or my imagination scares me out of it.
>>
>>707791
what about the floor? It seems sleeping pads are necessary. I did some car camping once when I was young and i just remember how uncomfy it was to sleep on a tent/bag over ground.

Maybe we set up over a small rock or something
>>
Depends how I feel. It feels good going out in the Summer with nothing but a tarp, wool blanket and bug net. It also feels good going out in 2 feet of snow with a sub 0 F sleeping bag and $500 tent killing some Deer and cooking it over a fire.
>>
I use sleeping bag in the winter and a bedroll in the summer. Either in a hammock or on the ground. I dont sleep well, indoors or out, so that part dosent matter.
>>
>>707796
meh. just kick the crap away. get a pad if you need one. you get used to it. unless it was cold, if i had to choose id pick a pillow over a pad. pillow is boss.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1437254518866.jpg (46 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1437254518866.jpg
46 KB, 960x720
HAMMOCK
A
M
M
O
C
K
>>
>>707787
well everyone is different, but here are some mistakes I have made

not being warm and dry, if you get into your tent wet and exausted dont try to go to sleep; you'l wake up later freezing or steamed
not keeping your head up, pitch your tent on flat ground, and sleep with your head in the highest point
some people make the mistake of instinctively putting their head away from the door
I just roll up my jacket as a pillow, but some people need an inflatable one

not overheating in a sleeping bag, the are temperature range rated and dont work well when unzipped
don't think you can take a sleeping bag made for siberia and unzip it a bit, they work by trapping warm air inside them

having a whole bunch of bug bites because you didn't keep your tent closed or got bitten in the day

pitching your tent where tree branches are going to hit it all night
some people are cool with this, and some people think you should avoid cutting branches to get a good camp site
usually you can avoid it though, don't go hacking at low branches
>>
>>707944
>don't think you can take a sleeping bag made for siberia and unzip it a bit, they work by trapping warm air inside them

My first sleeping bag was rated for 0F and thought I could use it for everything. I saved and spent $350 on it. Took it on my first trip in July. Even laying in it unzipped was a nightmare. Ended up just laying on top of it with my light coat over me. Since I do most of my /out/ in the Winter while hunting, I just bought a cheap Wal-Mart sleeping bag for Summer/Fall camping with the family.
>>
>>707966
manufacturers don't do a good job informing people about how temperature ranges work

my first sleeping bag had a unzippable section in the bottom, I thought it was for making it cooler.
I still don't know why you can unzip just the end circle
to fit two people, so you don't have to take your shoes off?

great sleeping bag though, I still use it

also really important and sometimes missed is a sleeping bag liner to keep your bag clean, so you can wash just the liner
some people bring bed clothes as an alternative, but to me that just seems like bulk
>>
Would a sleeping bag be essential even if it's just a summer night in NJ? I'd think some sweater+pants would just work better, plus you could wear them.
>>
primitive shelter...
>>
>>707975
Unzipping the end part of a sleeping bag would turn it into a great underquilt for hammocking, I feel comfy just imagining cocooning there.
>>
>>707975
let a little air out. also, it's so that you can stand up in your sleeping bag. roll or bunch it up like a skirt and you can use it as insulation around camp.
>>
I usually grab a tarp or two and climb up into a tree until I find some sturdy branches, then I use rope to tie off a canopy to lay on. It's like sleeping on a leaf.
>>
File: bear.gif (2 MB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
bear.gif
2 MB, 500x490
>>707794
Solid choice
>>
>>711795
7spoopy9me
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.