[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
outdoor growing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: herb.jpg (51 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
herb.jpg
51 KB, 540x360
This year will be my first attempt at growing. Will be outdoors in the middle of nowhere from different strains of feminized seeds I bought online. Anyone grow their own? Tips? I'm mainly worried about how to keep them watered since it's about an hour and a half from where I live. Also when or if to prune?
>>
>>706863
Its so simple. First get a drip system or another source of water for you plants. They are gonna drink a lot. If you grow away from your home then your main problem is gonna be people stumpling across your plants and snails/deers eating the plants.

Look up some online guides. There is 1 billion of them and they are more detailed then simple posts on a japanese noodle board.
>>
>>706866
I read that you can bury milk jugs with small holes punched in them next to your plants and fill them with water. You think this will work? I'll only be able to get out there once a week or so. It's on private land so not too worried about people walking through.
>>
>>706868
>I read that you can bury milk jugs with small holes punched in them next to your plants and fill them with water

Will probably work but get the gallon ones and test it out to see how much is actually gonna drip from them (pr hour). When they are smaller you can use coca cola bottles and make a hole in the cap.

>once a week

Where do you live? your plants can die in 1 week without water (when they get bigger). Ive had plants that needed several liters a day (but you will probably be better off if you are planting them in the ground)
>>
>>706873
I live in USDA zone 8a. Summers get really hot here so water is a big concern. Do you do any pruning? Also all of my seeds are photoperiod and not autoflowering if that makes a difference. What method do you like to use for germinating?
>>
Greetings OP.
> germinate in moderately damp paper towel in side Ziploc bag.
> wait for taproot to shoot out.
> put into grow medium preferably rockwool.
> where ever you plant them, make sure you have good water source.
> dig hole 1 foot deep
> put decent size fish in hole
> put dirt back in hole
> plant seedling
> research how to repel animals
> possible success

From what the OP describes you have like a 4\10 Chance of ever seeming the final product
>>
File: 999.jpg (296 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
999.jpg
296 KB, 1200x1600
Forgot pic
>>
>>707451
>put decent sized fish in hole

what
>>
>>707537
fertilizer bro.
>>
>>706863
Weed plants don't need much water man... Hence why they're called a weed, they grow best around the equator
>>
>>707677
Yeah but they need sun.

How to grow while avoiding FLIR copters and snoopy neighbors?
>>
>>706863
Plant on the south bank of a neglected creek or stream. Plant above the flood line and you'll be fine. You should be starting those seeds meow. Prep the soil with vermiculite and bonemeal. Soil based pour on fertilizer is a waste. Use a bloom fert. Once a week. Piss near your grow and dump some dog shit near it and the deer will leave it alone. It bugs you need to worry about. I've had good results with natural lemon based mixtures. Carry a walking stick and pretend you're hiking/looking for antlers/crawfishing/looking for arrowheads. Have an excuse for being in the wilderness. If you do see someone, wave, you're supposed to be there. The most stressful time will be planting and harvesting. Have a plan. Use a bait car. Be safe. Keep your fucking mouth shut.
>>
>>707451
>put fish in the hole
>Squanto's guide to growing weed

This guys doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
>>706863
Why the fuck is this druggy shit on /out/?

GFTO potheads. GB2/b/ or 420chan.org
>>
>>710062
Kill yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 640x832) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 640x832
>>706868
This stuff works great when it comes to not being able to regularly water.
>>
>>706863
am growing, not outdoor. Principles are the same. The plant thrives off neglect. Germinate indoors until you have at least 2 or 3 nodes of growth, and then begin hardening them off. This entails taking the plant outside for an hour, then bringing it back inside. Next day, take it outside for 2 hours, then bring it back inside. This is pretty crucial -- the sun is like 1000 W/sq ft or something, compared to whatever you have inside. Don't overwater your plants when they're young -- #1 noob mistake. it is very easy to drown a seedling, and they really don't need that much water, honest.

Prune: if you're growing outdoor you have several months of vegetative growth ahead of you. If you're in zone 8a, you could stand to 'lollipop' ~early august. This means cutting the little popcorn bud sites on the bottom half -- the places that don't get sun. I prefer to FIM or top my plants -- it evens out the growth a bit. Don't bother cutting leaves off, they're combination solar cells and energy repositories, and your plant can cannibalize them when you have no nutrients.

Outdoor concerns: deer will eat your plant. Take appropriate measures. I've heard about peeing on or near, as human scent is pretty much "go away" sign for animals? Couldn't say.

Passive watering: I really like tropf blumat system, got it off amazon. Drilled a hole in a 5 gallon bucket and ran a tube to the cones. Keeps my plants perfectly watered for as long as I like.

On deciding where you want to place your plants, stick a 20 dollar bill in a plastic bag to a tree nearby or something. If it's still there a month or two later, it's safe to plant there for the most part.
>>
>>707801
Move to Oregon.
>>
>>710062
>you can't hide threads you don't like
>>
>>710542
>Stick a $20 bill to a tree
>Come back three months later to find someone frantically watering and fertilizing the tree.
>>
>>710542
I've done the dollar trick, You're right on about hardening them off and deer. I shall try your topping/pruning tips in a few months. Right on anon.
>>
>>710542
Damn never heard of tropf blumat but watching it on YT it's pretty ingenious. I don't think I'd have anywhere to hang buckets though for gravity feeding.
>>
>1. You will not upload, post, discuss, request, or link to anything that violates local or United States law.

http://www.4chan.org/rules
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.