[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Budget Boot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: boot.jpg (9 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
boot.jpg
9 KB, 360x360
http://www.outdooradventurestore.ie/products/footwear/mens/hillwalking_boots/altitude_vi_mens-4314.html
Are these good for cheap starter hiking boot? Also suggestions for good online gear store that deliver to Ireland? Cheers.
>>
>>703270
Reviews seem quite good. Also they're cheaper on amazon right now.
>>
>>703270
I just bought a pair of golites at a thrift store for $5. Resoling them will cost me another $5.
>>
If you plan on spending much time in them save up and buy a good pair. They last for years and happy feet means happy times innawoods. Go to your local outdoors store talk about what you will do and let them show you and try some boots on. You dont need to buy straight away but you do need the right shoes to enjoy time in the woods
>>
>>703270
There is no such thing as "budget boots" they either fit and function or they don't! Two things you simply don't skimp on, your feet and your back.

That said, they need to fit and do what you intend to do with them.
>>
>>703270
Yeah they're a good deal if they fit your feet, but fit is key with boots. I was skeptical but they had good reviews so I got some, and I like them a lot for the price (I think mine are Vs not VIs). They took a bit of breaking in but that's to be expected.

I got them as a stopgap after my aincient Raichles finally wore out, while I researched who still makes good high end boots. I didn't expect much, but after 2 years they're still in pretty good shape.

>>703779
>>703890
Generally good advice, but spending a lot doesn't guarantee a good boot anymore (or a good fit), you can still end up with overpriced rebranded chinashit. And cheap isn't always bad.
>>
>>703765
i had to take a job at value village recently. they put me in shoes. i see a lot of women's merrels on a regular basis. Most are barely used and quite often there are some that have clearly never been used. Men's is a whole other ballgame though. most mens stuff is fairly well used. We did have some matterhorns that came in the other day. Those things looked solid as hell.
>>
>>703909
>Most are barely used and quite often there are some that have clearly never been used.
Those poor girls clearly failed the test hike.
>>
>>703270
Lol, if you can't try it on don't buy it. Just one of my points of advice. Don't buy boots that use any metal to lace. They'll eat through your laces and leave you fucked.
>>
>>703909
Yeah. I was definitely lucky. I try to get out and check all the thrift stores every couple of weeks for good stuff, usually I'm after dry fit shirts and thin shorts for hiking in. Women's stuff is almost always pretty new, guys tend to wear stuff until it falls apart. Sucks trying to find anything. I've bought duffel bags and cut them down for material, too. I made $200 worth of bike bags for about $10 last year.
>>
>>703917
>Don't buy boots that use any metal to lace.
That's just silly, and would rule out most proper hiking boots.
>>
File: infantryBoots-1.gif (147 KB, 600x452) Image search: [Google]
infantryBoots-1.gif
147 KB, 600x452
>>703989
today some boots just like these came in. priced em at 30$. 50% off sale today and tomorrow means someone will have them for $15. one size too big for me. I tried them on after work for the hell of it. surprisingly light and comfortable. my feet have been really sore since I started this job and that went right away. they were in pretty decent shape like someone took them out 3 times and then got married or something.
>>
I have these boots!

I really love them. I mainly use them for treeplanting, which puts any kind of boot through hell. They hold up pretty well. I'm on my second pair, but the first one lasted for 5 months of daily intense use (often in contact with water, and slashy terrain). I ended up grinding a hole into one of the soles, because of the way I was repetitively stepping on my shovel. If you're just in it for the hiking, that won't be a problem.

And the fit/comfort is great. I used to work in $300 Scarpa boots, which were hard as rocks and offered incredible protection and ankle support. But I have high arches and narrow feet, and the Scarpas got to be really painful after a few weeks of all-day wear.

So I bought these because they're much more flexible, and it made a huge difference. I can spend all day in these and my feet never hurt.
>>
>>704511
>Took them out three times and then got married or something.
Poor guy. That's just sad.

>Me: I'm going to the lake, I'll be back when I run out of food or tackle.
>gf: Am I supposed to be here when you get back?
>Me: Well I hope so, but that's your call, babe.
She was.

Nice boots. I'd go with something a little more ventilated, but if you like them, you should pick them up. You'd probably be wearing them with a thick pair of wool socks and a liner sock anyway, right?

>>704702
>slashy terrain
Careful, those blades of grass are sharp.
>>
>>703270
I got a pair of hi tecs and I'm pretty happy with them.
>>
File: GOAT.jpg (607 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
GOAT.jpg
607 KB, 1920x1440
>>703270

MERREL MOAB

MOAB
O
A
B

MASTER RACE OF BUDGET BOOTS
>>
>>705021
Those aren't boots, they're shoes. The waterproof ones cost more than the Altitudes, and they wear out way faster (I know because I've owned both) so they cost even more in the long run.
>>
>>705142
Why would you want waterproof boots? They're just as hard to get sweat out of as they are to get water in, and if you ford any streams, surely it'll be deeper than those high-tops are tall. Tinea isn't a good mushroom to find in the woods.
>>
>>704474
Well then learn to wax your shoelaces everytime you take them off unless you want to be stuck in the wilderness with a flat boot or two.
>>
File: weather.png (19 KB, 531x408) Image search: [Google]
weather.png
19 KB, 531x408
>>705199
>sneakers dry more quickly!
"no"
If you live in a cold climate like mine, water from the outside (wet grass alone will have sneakers soaked within minutes) than the inside (you don't sweat as much), and shit will take days to dry because there's no sun.
I even prefer boots on 1-2km dog walks in winters, when it is rainy or when there's dew in the morning
>>
>>704702
they are a size 10 and I'm a 9 unfortunately. They still haven't sold. How much were they new?
>>
>>705557
They were $135 (canadian). I think it's pretty good value. But if they don't fit, I'd probably hold back.
>>
Are milsurp boots a viable option? I'm a poor fag and I found a pair of jungle boots for ~$30, should I go for it?
>>
>>705374
Well, you're probably not fording rivers in sub-zero temperatures.
>>
>>705199
>Why would you want waterproof boots?
Maybe to keep your feet warm and dry? There's this thing called winter.

>>705848
>Well, you're probably not fording rivers in sub-zero temperatures.
If you are you want hip or chest waders, not running shoes.
>>
I like mine. Two years of daily usage hiking and at my job, and they're still comfortable and waterproof. Just make sure to keep them treated.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.