[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to clean cookware at the campsite?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: 81YgrwF472L._SL1500_.jpg (128 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81YgrwF472L._SL1500_.jpg
128 KB, 1500x1500
I'm gonna be using anodized aluminum cookware and while I'll bring soap, assuming I don't...

>What is the best all natural means of cleaning/sanitizing cookware at the campsite WITHOUT soap.
>>
If you cook meat and have a little grease in the pans, can't you just throw some ash from the fire in and make soap?
>>
>>703043
>rinse everything out
>scrub inside of pot with sand to remove anything else that's stuck on
>rinse again to get sand out of pot
>if any food residue remains then repeat the sand scrub + rinse cycle
>>
>>703048
you need to render the fat, leech the ash, then combine them in heat. its a dedicated process.

i believe you can use the ash and a bit of water alone to scrub them out
>>
>>703050
This.

After cooking I put dirt/sand in the pot and give a good scrub then rinse out with water.
>>
Blast it with piss
>>
That's a good question.
>>
>>703050
Yup. This.
It can also help when rinsing to put an inch of water in the pot and warm it over the coals. Makes a huge difference with the grease.
>>
>>703050
This. I might hit it with a drop of dish soap if there's an oily residue, but for getting burnt or stuck on food off, sand is simple, easy, ultra lightweight, and limitless.
>>
File: Garlic Bags-Pot Scrubbers.jpg (756 KB, 1024x2224) Image search: [Google]
Garlic Bags-Pot Scrubbers.jpg
756 KB, 1024x2224
>>703050
>sand

Or, just pack some thick tough garlic bags with you. They will last a life time. Also, you're not technically supposed to use abrasives like metal scouring pads or sand for cookware. Most cookware manufacturers even state not to use metal scouring pads and abrasives. The abrasiveness of the sand actually makes the pot stick even more.
>>
>>703124
That usually only applies to Teflon, but you're right that it does scratch steel a little, titanium not as much. A good share of us only boil water, but I guess those of us who do don't really need to wash our pots anyway.
>>
>>703043
You kidding me?

>clean
wipe it down

>sanitize
YOU'RE COOKING WITH FIRE, BITCH
>>
>>703091

That. I take a tiny container of dish soap and use a single drop to clean. Personally, I don't like the camp specific soaps. I prefer Method dish soap. It works very well even at altitude. And, it's good for every kind of cleaning - Synthetic shirt + nalgene + one drop of Method soap + rock + little water = clean shirt (just shake).

Also, I just hand-clean/scrub my cookware...no scrubby.
>>
File: thinkingaboutpiss.jpg (52 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
thinkingaboutpiss.jpg
52 KB, 650x366
>>703061
it's... beautiful.
>>
Aluminium non stick surface + sands? U fucking wot mate? Learn to read before posting that bullshit! If he only boils water then there is nothing to clean so that is not the case too. Use soft sponge with warm water to clean it. If some grease still on put on coals from distance so no flames or dirt gets on it and heat up a bit to dry and sanitize the surface... Use some of that paper towel at the end for fully clean non dirt surface. You can aleays use lemon or other acidic shit to clean it and get off the burned smell! Lemon is good for washing hands too - gets off fish smell and everyrhing else from hands... I use lemon on everything it helps clean tea pots from lime and it acts as desinfectant plus ir gives a nice fresh smell.
>>
Fucking scouring pads and a small bottle of washing up liquid
>>
File: l_sc-103_hires.jpg (597 KB, 1269x800) Image search: [Google]
l_sc-103_hires.jpg
597 KB, 1269x800
>>703219
>>
>>703208
>Learn to read
Learn to properly construct a sentence.
>>
I bring dollar store wash rags, and wipe my pots down, with a little soap if they're greasy. I toss the rags in the fire after a couple days, when they get too grody.
If I'm somewhere with a fire ban in effect, I dry them out as much as I can and stick 'em in a ziplock bag until I can dispose of them.

I try to plan my meals so they don't make too many dishes e.g. a lot of soup.

For my coffee mug, I just rinse it out with boiling water.
>>
>>703043
clorox disinfecting wipes
>>
File: 84467853.jpg (214 KB, 599x624) Image search: [Google]
84467853.jpg
214 KB, 599x624
>>703043
titan? should be very slick. easy to clean: like a good frying pan.

>or bring a dodge
>>
File: hl006.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hl006.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>703132
It applies to all metals. Even Stainless steel and titanium. All the cookware I've purchased has said never to use metal pads or abrasives on them and I never use/buy non-stick cookware.

Then a "helpful" friend comes along and SCRUBS THE SHIT OUT OF MY STAINLESS STEEL PAN with some scouring pad (pic related). It has abrasive on one side and turned the near-mirror finish to dull-white and now it sticks like glue if I don't use enough butter, oil, or grease.
>>
>>703290
>now it sticks like glue if I don't use enough butter, oil, or grease.
Couldn't you just polish it with brasso or something?
>>
ashes
>>
>>703043
>use stainless
>never bring soap
>water usually works
>if shit gets burned on, use sand to scrub it off
>>
Throw pot away... Buy new one... Done
>>
None of you have been /out/.
>>
>>703862
>Been /out/ since the 80s
>Been using the same stainless steel cook set since then
>Use it at home sometimes too
>>
>>703229
>toss the rags in the fire after a couple days, when they get too grody

I usually turn them into charcloth
>>
File: 410.jpg (12 KB, 302x167) Image search: [Google]
410.jpg
12 KB, 302x167
>>703968
>charcloth
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.