[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have $1500 to spend for /out/ gear...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
You have $1500 to spend on /out/ gear. What do you buy and why?
>>
>>699839
cocain
>>
File: hookers-and-cocaine.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hookers-and-cocaine.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>699848
>>
>>699839
I'll bite. What's the rules? Am I starting over from scratch or keep all my existing stuff? Am I camping my region, going someplace in particular, or traveling in general?
>>
>>699839
60/70L backpack, hammock, nice pants, boots, one person tent, bigger stove, knife and axe. with the leftovers I buy a plane ticket and go to Norway/Swedecuck/Finland for a couple weeks.
>>
>>699839
have too much gear, would spend it on a survival/training expedition to arctic

>inb4 why not just go there and do it anyway faggot, i'm getting too old to fuck around risking shit, would rather do it right first time and go from there
>>
File: aid climbing is cheating.jpg (40 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
aid climbing is cheating.jpg
40 KB, 500x334
>double cams #000 to #5, plus one #6 ($1000)
>aiders and ascenders ($200)
>haulbag and haul line ($300)

shit, that went fast
>>
>>699839
is $1500 really that much? you can maybe buy a rifle from it right? maybe an ar15 and that's it.
>>
>>699839
Expensive as fuck bushcraft knife (300-500$)
Camera (700$)
Boots (200-300)
>>
>>699870
We'll say starting from scratch. The truth is this is the situation I'm in right now ( used to /out/ as a boy and now that I have some extra money I can buy some /out/ stuff and go /out/ by myself or with a buddy ) and I don't really know where to begin.

>>699877
Good choices; any specific products in mind?

>>699913
>>699924
Swiftly spent.

>>699920
I'd rather not blow it all on one product if I were doing the spending and if I were to buy another firearm I'd either want something I could easily take apart ( Henry AR7, .22 takedown, etc. ) and store in my pack or a handgun. what would YOU would buy and why? :) I'm just hoping to figure out what I want after seeing what others feel they want or need.
>>
File: lft.jpg (84 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
lft.jpg
84 KB, 600x450
>>699931
>We'll say starting from scratch
that would change my list (i'm >>699913), but i'm too lazy to calculate rebuying all my climbing gear, but i could still drop $1500 in a hurry
>>
>>699931
>what would YOU would buy and why? :)
i'm >>699848

but in all seriousness i don't know if i could only spend it on out stuff i guess i would meme up buy a granfors burke hunters axe or a wildlife hatchet (i would need to hold them in my hand to decide) probably some big ass knife gso 7 and 8 looks good frankly or maybe a busse, a leatherman surge stuff like that i wouldn't normally buy cause they are ridiculously bad value but still would be nice to have.

couple of small items would blow it all i'm afraid.
>>
A nice pair of surplus woodland pants, a Mora, and 10 nuggets cause fuck Skinwalkers
>>
>>699931
>this is the situation I'm in right now

in that case
>65L backpack ($100)
>sleeping bag ($150)
>tent ($150)
>sleeping pad ($40)
>stove ($90)
>filter ($25)
>/out/ shoes ($100)
>headlamp ($30)
>knife ($50)
>cookware/utensils ($20)
>/out/ jacket ($100)

that's $855 for moderate to inexpensive but good gear, and careful shopping could chop another $100-200 off, or you can upgrade some stuff.

personally i'd start with somewhat inexpensive but good gear that will last you several seasons and spend the rest on going on trips to see what you like to do and need to buy to maximize those activities.
>>
>>699954 Good list.

You may want an axe or hand saw to add.
Throw a few lighters in.
Consider a tarp.
Get some cord.
A drybag can be useful.
>>
>>699954
I'm not very knowledgable about backpacks and hope you can point me towards a good backpack for that price. I was going to buy a surplus MSS for about the same price as the sleeping bag; I could buy the same one unissued for $250. I found a bivy-tent for a little under $100 but could spend $300 on a hammock from Hennessy. I'd need the pad if I got the hammock. If you mean a water filter by filter I'll start looking. I found a stove/cookware combo for under $120 that seems to be highly praised based off what I've been able to find. Shoes are another thing I'll need help with; and the headlamps/knives I'll get at Walmart while prob buying a MILSURP jacket.

>Backpack anon said ( $100 )
>MILSURP MSS ( $150-$250 )
>Bivy Tent or hammock ( $100 or $300 )
>Sleep pad for Hammock ( $40 )
>Stove/Cookware bundle ( $120 )
> Anon's recommended filter ( if I can find it ( $25 )
>Anon's recommended shoes ( GIve me recommendations please ( $100 )
>Headlamp ( $30 )
>Knife ( $50 )
>Recommended Jacket ( $100 )

Comes to about $1.1k if I buy the more expensive options.
>>
>>700052
>backpack
check the backpack thread. there's a standing recommendation, but i forget what it is.
>MILSURP MSS
no. kelty cosmic 21
>bivy tent/hammock
fuck that. get yourself a nice backpacking 2 person freestanding dome. way more versatile, still <3.5 lbs for $150
>filter
sawyer mini
>shoes
i'm a big fan of tough soled trailrunners, NOT goretex-light, dry quickly, good sole protection. i have vasque mindbenders, but you probably need to find out what fits
>jacket
depends on the weather you anticipate encountering. i usually have a base layer and a costco down puffy, maybe a fleece and/or a light wind breaker/raincoat, if i'm expecting there might be cold, wind or precip..
>>
3 sebenzas
>>
I already have gear, tickets to go /out/ someplace else.
>>
>>699839
Gorka, Half Shelter, Jungle boots, Czech pack. Puketarn bdus.
>>
>>700612
I'd love Puketarn BDU with ripstop fabric but I wouldn't want those surplus. Do you know anybody that makes a modernized version?
>>
>>699931
>Swiftly spent
Yup, i don't really need any other equipment, maybe i'd buy a good waterproof jacket and decent backpack since i already have a good knife
>>
Sigma 50-500mm for Pentax k mount
Maybe a nice Marmot jacket, but I have plenty of other gear
>>
File: MISTER-BADASS.jpg (827 KB, 2160x2880) Image search: [Google]
MISTER-BADASS.jpg
827 KB, 2160x2880
A McHale Critical Mass pack..
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (62 KB, 650x630) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
62 KB, 650x630
>>699839
You got $1500 so you going to blow it on gear you don't need? If you needed some thing you'd know what it is and get it.

Don't be a consumerist tard and spend your last dime.
>>
Military surplus sleeping bag + mat ($55)
Decent marmot tent ($200)
Field bag ($53)
Black diamond lanterns (2) ($40)
Decent pair of hiking boots ($70-$100)
Utensils and cooking things ($100-$200)
Clothes etc. ($200)

That's about $783 and I'll have money for anything extra
>>
>>699920
Why buy an AR for /out/? They're fun range toys but you can get most practical rifles for under $800 ($400 if you like milsurp)
>>
>>702033
It's just a hypothetical question. Assume you've been given a $1500 voucher for any outdoor goods then.
>>
>>702050
why anyone buys ar? to make nofunz mad.
>>
>>702033
Good pic.
>>
>>699839
If you're starting from scratch

>Either a tarp or a tent ($30-300)
>Medium Alice Pack with frame ($50)
>Condor Bushcraft knife ($35)
>Ad Tec Packer Boots ($85)
>Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe ($70)
>Sleeping Bag or blankets ($20-100)
>Couple of decent water bottles ($40 for both)

All of that shit totalled should leave you with like $1000

>Decent first aid kit (or make your own: either way its about $20-30)
>Headlamp ($25)

I'm assuming you already own most clothes you'd want, and the needs vary by climate so I'mma leave that out.

Rope/food/toilletries/utensils/cookware are all personal choices: to be honest with $1500 I'd buy the stuff I listed plus Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and a nice M65 coat woth what's left over .
>>
Boots, hat, pistol, few boxes of ammo, holster
>>
>>702060
I don't own most of the clothes I really need for /out/ing unless my Dickies count. I was just going to buy some cheap MILSURP BDU. I've found large ALICE packs w/ frame for under $50 so should I take that over the medium-sized packs?
>>
Well there's a lot of cool stuff out there but based on what I already have and don't have:

Direct Action Ghost backpack 150$
Some additional molle pouches for that pack ~30$
Esbit pocket stove 7$
A pretty good GPS ~300-350$
Drytech - Real Field Ration Arctic (24 meals) 440 $
Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottle ~30$
Helsport Ringstind Light 2 tent :400 $ if I buy from the outlet

That's about 1400 bux, save the rest for shipping.
>>
>>702085
Try one on: Large pack are enourmous, so unless you're over 6'2" and 200lbs I wouldn't recommend one . In my own opinion, if you need to carry more than what a medium ALICE carries then you should get a nicer bag anyways: ALICE is nice cause its dirt cheap and very durable, but for long excursions (4+ days) you want a specialty 60/70L bag.

I don't really like BDU's, but they are perfectly servicable: I've always just gone /out/ with a hoodie, T shirt, and some dockers.
Specialty /out/ clothes are a for specialty cases: a couple days in the woods in a moderate climate don't require anything special .
If you DO need new clothes to go /out/, I reccomend hitting up your local thrift stores (especially Goodwill).
>>
>>702221
I know I won't be going /out/ for long trips right away but I know I will be eventually. Do you have any recommendations for the "specialty bags" at all? It is also worth noting I walk for everything; including groceries. I'd love ot have a bag that could hold up to trips home from the grocer with a week's worth of groceries at a time during the winter months.

I'd also be interested in getting a day-pack and/or hydration pack for late spring, summer and early fall when I can ( realistically ) walk to the grocer and back every morning with the food I plan to eat for the day. Right now I'm looking at a Camelbak and today I saw an "Outdoors Products" backpack with a lifetime warranty/h-bladder on sale for under $30.
>>
>>702310
An ALICE pack will handle groceries for up to three people for a week just fine.

The issue with specialty bags is that they're a lot more expensive, and can't take the abuse Milsurp can.
That being said, the upside is how practical they are: they're lighter, better fitting, larger, and more practical for long trips .

I am not a good person to recommend one however, as I've had very little experience using them.
Id suggest finding an camping store near you and trying a couple on.

Personally, I don't like hydration packs: they offer fewer options than just carrying a backpack with a bottle. I've had experience with several offbrand bladders as well as the Camebak brand name ones, and they are-for the most part- comparable.
>>
>>702310
Also, as far as daybags go I've been very happy with every Kelty bag I've owned, as well as High Sierra.
>>
>>699839
hilleberg tent. and spend the rest on gasoline.

/thread
>>
A large wool blanket which I would use as a backpack, a Neoair xtherm, a stainless steel water bottle, a titanium pot that nests with the bottle, top quality knife, tarp, cordage, titanium emberlit, firesteel, lighter, saw blade, headlamp, toque, bandana, wool gloves, bear spray, a bag of rice, beef jerky, a bag of weed.
>>
right now I'm pretty good on gear, I'd probably just spend it on my truck.

Getting a truck /out/fitted is a costly affair...
>>
1497 bic lighters and a king size snickers
>>
A plane ticket somewhere cool, I have all the gear I need already.
>>
>>702612
You must be new here. It is not your place to /thread your own post, faggot.
>>
It's worth getting a decent solar charger so you can charge phones, GPS, ipods etc while you're out and about.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.