[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ vehicles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 96
File: img_1821.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
img_1821.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
Looking to buy a /out/ car, suggestions?

Also car thread.
>>
File: subaru-xv-crosstrek-10.jpg (1 MB, 1500x938) Image search: [Google]
subaru-xv-crosstrek-10.jpg
1 MB, 1500x938
S U B A R U
U
B
A
R
U
>>
>>696196
Old beater Corolla or Civic. Make sure to get a manual shift though so you can flat tow it behind a motorhome or a truck for canoe/kayak shuttles.
>>
I plan on buying a Subaru Forester, just like how it looks even thou its weird af. Anybody has any exp with those? Eurofag here.
>>
>>696201
My wife is in love with the Crosstrek.
>>
>>696201
>modern cars
>>
I've owned two Subarus, I had beat up old legacy that I loved, then I replaced it with a wrx and gave the legacy to my brother. The wrx was great as well. Subarus just "fit" me better than any car I've owned. Both had good traction and cargo capacity for their size, parts were a bit expensive though. I ended up selling the wrx because I suspected the tranny didn't have long to live (an issue for early wrxs) I now have a jeep cherokee which I bought for half what I sold the wrx for and while it's less flashy and sporty, I appreciate the increased capacity and ground clearance.

Almost any light truck, suv, or wagon will probably do the trick for most outdoors activities, it's more important that you keep up on maintenance whatever you buy.
>>
File: Felt.jpg (161 KB, 907x757) Image search: [Google]
Felt.jpg
161 KB, 907x757
>>696201
>suspension too stiff onroad, and only comes into its own element on rough roads and deeper snow
>CVT (only automatic available) is absolute dogshite unless you live in the middle of a flat city, so I hope you know how to drive manual
>base model is garbage, definetly recommend the top tier if anything
>high beams are not impressive at all
>fuel consumption isn't all that great

There are so many better cars than the XV...

My suggestions will have to wait, as I need to know what you'll be using the car for.
Towing a lot of heavy shit?
Very tough roads?
Automatic or manual?
How many seats?
How much cargo?
Budget?
Location?

For most people who drive around larger SUVs, Subarus and other "OMG 4WD I AM UNSTOPPABLE NOW" a normal FWD/AWD wagon would be more than enough
>>
>>696315
> he's never driven a WRX or STI
>>
>>696219
they're good cars. headgaskets are a pain in the dick to change like any other subaru because it involves pulling the motor. recommend having STI gaskets installed if that ever happens. otherwise the slushbox/automatic transmission kind of sucks, manuals are a lot better.
>>
>>696318
I'm not sure what makes you say that - was it about the CVT? The XV doesn't work the same way as the CVT you'd get in a WRX/STI Impreza, with no preset modes/paddle shifters, low output engines and being set up for "normal" driving

Or was it something else that amde you imply I haven't driven a WRX/STI? Sure, I haven't had a chance to try the latest as they are extremely expensive and rare here, but I still don't see what about my post is apparently "wrong"
>>
File: DSC02547_-L.jpg (84 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
DSC02547_-L.jpg
84 KB, 800x533
>>696230
>cars
>>
>>696201

>city dwelling soccer mom detected
>>
>>696253
>>696428
I agree with both these guys. Current /out/ rig is a Suzuki samurai that has had all sorts of interesting modifications. But jeeps of most all older varieties work well. The 95 and older ones have more dependable easier to maintain engines, though the 4 cylinders are weak AF. I've owned a wrangler and 2 cherokees. Ford and Chevrolet pre 1995 4wd trucks along with pre 98 Toyota tacomas and 4 runners all make good options if you maintain them. Also, I carry a Suzuki DRZ400 in the hitch haul for my Samurai for those moments when the trail just calls for a little 2 wheel foolishness. I've owned multiple "adventure bikes" but I'm short, so those tall things aren't great for everyone...
>>
File: 02-04_Honda_CR-V_EX_.jpg (184 KB, 2115x1316) Image search: [Google]
02-04_Honda_CR-V_EX_.jpg
184 KB, 2115x1316
i have an '04 crv. pic from the internet, but looks just like it. fucking love it. run it all over fire roads in the sierra, took it to the snow this winter (had never driven in the snow before and had bald tires), goes everywhere i ask it, has tons of room inside but small outside, and gets 27 mpg with a heavy foot. it's probably been wilder places than 95% of jeeps.
>>
Subaru's are kind of meme cars imo. I used to work at jiffylube and those fuckers always burned my hands. They run hot and burn oil like crazy. And every asshole who has one thinks he's going on a safari or some shit.
>>
>>696315
Umm, gf has a 2010 forester that I picked out for her cause she wanted something awd and almost bot a jeep liberty or some shit. That thing has, so far, been unstoppable. Pulled a jacked up truck out of some snow up on mt. hood (guy was appreciative but pissed cause his wife was giving him shit about it) driven around trail gates through the woods multiple times, was in Northern Wisconsin driving down a road that was pretty hairy in the snow, looked in the rearview, realized there was a line of snowmobiles behind me and I was on a fucking sled trail.

Cruises like a dream at 80 on the highway, and I put a transmission fluid cooler on it myself and we towed a uhaul full of her stuff from portland oregon to oshkosh wisconsin, over the rockies, no problem. Suspension is great on the highway, great off road, she runs and runs and runs and yeah, may need a head gasket at some point, but otherwise, barring a fullon pickup (I have a hardbody that I love) it's a goddamn great car.

considering they all run mostly the same shit underneath,
>suspension too stiff
never once noticed it on the forester and have literally driven from oregon to michigan, down to lousiana and back a couple times.
>CVT
works like a charm
>base model
explain
>high beams
Ummmm....uwotm8?
>fuel consumption
25mpg is good enough for me.
>>
>>696219
plus, don;t you have a tdi version?
>>696443
I'm with this guy. I'm on my third (over the last 22 years) and I love them.

Just read up about the "big brother" to teh westie vw- the vw lt.

http://expeditionportal.com/featured-vehicle-1989-vw-lt/
>>
>>696443
Why are you calling me out when you have apparently no experience with the XV? Forester and XV are really different.
>>
>>696479
Forester she got has same engine, same chassis, same tranny, same awd system as the xv. You complained about suspension, transmission, base model (which is why I felt them to be comparable), the high beams (which I still have no idea what you're saying, uh, get brighter bulbs?), and fuel consumption, which should be similar but I will give you that they weigh different amounts.

They're pretty darn comparable. Tell me how they're "really different" other than weight, space, and wheelbase? Engine, tranny, awd, suspension, all the same afaik.
>>
>>696315
Hey so you're retarded
00 forester here
You probably drive a g35 with a shocker sticker. Fuck off
>>
File: 1418498483496.png (365 KB, 530x314) Image search: [Google]
1418498483496.png
365 KB, 530x314
>>696479
Kek
Found the guy shitting up /o/
>>
>>696443
They share a platform, thats it. Forester is properly construted around the platform and has suspension designed for it and its dynamics. XV is a lifted Impreza and suffers for it on more civil roads with being way too stiff. Forester wins.

Cvt in the XV, both 1.6i and 2.0i - sluggish and slow to respond to heavy throttle, engine braking sucks ass due to no pre-selected "gears" being available so in "low" it just brakes a little with no good result on any descent I've tried.

Base model - no navigation, fucking tiny and hard to see screen for the reversing camera, seats could use a lot more bolstering and the audio sounds like its from an old Passat

High beams - too dim in the distance, not wide enough. Definetly not what you want when its dark as you leave for work and dark when you go home

Fuel consumption - going from a 16 year old Saab 2.0i that got 34mpg on long trips to a 2013 XV 1.6i that gets 25 at best... not impressed
>>
>>696196

Sup OP, I'm not a big car guy but I bought a Nissan Murrano for going /out/, and it's kicked some serious ass. First time I've ever driven a AWD innawoods and it was a dream going up rocky, steep terrain where normal sedans would get shit on, and I get pretty decent mileage at 22mpg, it's also aesthetically pleasing to me and has enough room in the back for me to sleep comfortably, and I'm 6'3".

That said, it's definitely not something I'd take really far out. If you want something all duty, I'd recommend a AWD Truck that can be jacked up easy - or a jeep. Something with high clearance can get you damn near anywhere, but you pay for it in mileage.
>>
File: sda.jpg (205 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
sda.jpg
205 KB, 700x525
Let me know when yall need me to pull you out with my Cherokee or 1st gen taco.
>>
>>696512
As someone trying to sell his wrangler to get a bigger car, what kind of mpg does your cherokee and taco get?
>>
>>696504
>base model no navigation, small screen for reverse camera, bad audio

You're joking right? This 21,000 car with amazing awd that goes just about anywhere doesn't have navigation and a big enough reverse camera screen? Really? The one I've driven has none of those and honestly, I'm glad. Nobody needs those things.

>high beams
You keep going on about high beams. Seriously? I'm beginning to think you're trolling. Throw a couple baja lights on if you're that stressed about your high beams. Wanna talk about high beams? The high beams in my 79 blazer suck. WHO CARES?

>fuel consumption
25 is great compared to every truck i've ever owned that get 15-17. You're comparing a car that does nothing for /out/ to a car that does quite a few things for /out/ really well. Apples and oranges. Go buy an icar if you are stressed about mileage.

I'll give you the "lifted impreza" thing, but everything else you've said is retarded.
>>
>>696534
Its about value for money. If rough-road capability is all that matters then a used Jeep Cherokee or a Wrangler will do much better

High beams - I specified. If a new car needs extra lighting to be acceptable at dark nights and morning then thats a flaw

Fuel - yes. Lets also compare it to my dads 13 Outlander. Its bigger, heavier, has more equipment, bigger engine and that gets 32mpg, both gas engines. Just because its better than a truck that doesnt mean its good
>>
>>696534
Nah man I'm with this anon. The thing feels super cheap on the inside. If you're looking for something truly innawoods and nothing else matters you'd just get an old jeep because truth is best bang for buck and way more versatility. Those new subaru aren't what they used to be. I worked for a subaru dealership for two and a half year and and driven almost everything make in the last 10 years. Subaru is pretty damn overrated and overpriced to shit up in Canada.
Then again I'm biased because I've seen the recalls and how much shit breaks on new vehicles and how much of a pain in the fucking ass it is to work on these things.
>>
>>696219
I drive an '03 Forester as both my daily and my /out/ set-up. Not sure what (if any) changes there are between what you can get in Europe versus what you can in America, but I like mine a lot. Yakima roof rack with 48 inch bars and j cradles handles my kayak great, it's long enough for my monstrous, ancient canoe. There isn't a ton of leg room in the back if you haul a lot of people, but they added more in later models. Handles well, doesn't have a ton of get up and go in the engine, but it's a comfortable ride. Throw some good all-weather tires on it if you live somewhere with a solid snowfall (directionals if you don't worry about that) and you got a capable /out/mobile. It won't outperform a jeep or a truck if you take it into the shit on a regular basis, but if you're like me and just need something that you can drive every day and take it down logging roads on the weekend, it'll do that.
>>
File: 82952440.jpg (225 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
82952440.jpg
225 KB, 800x600
>>
File: landcruiser.jpg (246 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
landcruiser.jpg
246 KB, 1280x720
>/out/ car thread
>not posting a Toyota Landcruiser

with a couple of mods from factory there is pretty much not a place one of these cant go. even stock these are good cars
>>
>>696614
So why are you posting a VDJ79?
>>
>>696196
Toyota Hilux pick up or anything else ISIS/Taliban/rebels use. Can switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive and anyone who watches TopGear knows its almost indestructible if you hate some basic machanic skills.
>>
>>696626
Hilux is not offered in the U.S. I saw them in Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, South Africa, Namibia and Malaysia. Most prolific truck?
>>
>>696196
Cheap beaters excellent on harsh terrain:
Lada Niva
Suzuki Jimny/Samurai/old Vitara
>>
>>696626
>anyone who watches TopGear

#LAD
#BANTZ
>>
>>696640
You can get them up to 1995, and if /out/-capability is all you're after then its a "perfect" car to work with
>>
I drive my beater BMW down just about every gravel/dirt road I've come across. Driving on bad conditions is super easy; just don't slow down.

I grew up in Alaska, but I live in Wisconsin now. I can't stand all the fuckers driving around Madison here saying they need their SUV "for all the snow!"

People thinking 4WD will save them from bad conditions and spending all their money on it are the reasons cool cars aren't near as fucking cool as they used to be.
>>
Are automatic cars cheaper in the US? In my country they are more expensive so nobody uses them. I am trying hard to understand why an able person would give up some parts of control of your vehicle.
Learning to manually shift gears only takes a few hours.
I understand well that 18 yo highschool girls might need automatic because they are not willing to put in the few hours of extra work but are there people who do /out/ activities and actually find practising moving a lever for one evening too exhausting?
>>
>>696201

>obese
>no solid axles
>no lockers
>no articulation

A corolla would be just as capable off-road as crossovers.

>>696506
>going up rocky, steep terrain where normal sedans would get shit on

Do you have any pictures of it off-road? I always have a hard time believing people are taking these cars places you can't just take a family sedan.

>>>696614
>not posting a Toyota Landcruiser

Because the J70 is only still sold in places like Australia and Japan. The rest of the world gets the obese J200.
>>
>>696732

It's because automatics are superior. They're faster in race cars and offer more control while off-roading.

A machine will always shift better than a human.
>>
File: 1455569339537.jpg (346 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455569339537.jpg
346 KB, 1600x1200
>>696196
>>
File: dat.jpg (298 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dat.jpg
298 KB, 1920x1080
>>696196
>>
>>697674
the Mora car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kHUWYm3zpk
>>
File: 2016_Lexus_RX_350_13.png (548 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2016_Lexus_RX_350_13.png
548 KB, 640x480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA3e90Alun0
>>
File: 1994-jeep-wrangler-6.jpg (192 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1994-jeep-wrangler-6.jpg
192 KB, 1024x768
94 jeep wrangler is a keeper. get it in manual if you can . tried buying one off my neighbor
>>
>>696434
>Suzuki Samurai
Oooh! You wouldn't be that /k/ guy who bought his Samurai secondhand with homemade woodland camo and radios everywhere, wouldn't you?
>>
>>696196
Ford Bronco II/Ranger or Toyota Tacoma with 4x4 and v6
>>
Geo Tracker w/4x4; top off all the fluids, make sure it starts and when it breaks, haul it out and go spend $500 on another one...

I drive an '05 GMC Canyon I5 with the Z71 package. Put some K02's on her and she does what I need her to do. Haul gear, tow all the toys, drive over and through most anything. Best $8K I ever spent.
>>
>>696569
Subaru's are definitely overpriced in Canada, plus there owners tend to be on the duche side
>>
File: Uteruss.jpg (1 MB, 1959x1469) Image search: [Google]
Uteruss.jpg
1 MB, 1959x1469
>>696626
They're a nasty POS to drive though, you sit on the floor, umbrella handbrakes are fucking shit and I suspect a horse drawn buggy would have better suspension.
>>
File: img_3228.jpg (162 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
img_3228.jpg
162 KB, 640x480
my ford ranger has always been good to me, good on gas aswell
>>
>>697985
Miring hard at that ranger. Drive a 2005 Chevy Astro at the moment, not the best for out but good for transporting building supplies for a cabin I plan to build. That thing is beautiful. More info on how good / bad they are?
>>
>>697982
they're actually pretty good to drive. suspension is live rear axle independent front. just get one that still has its catalytic converter because everyone deletes it for muh hp, and make sure the ladder frame is straight and not beat to shit from too much offroading. my buddy has one thats got like 270k miles 3.slow, say what you want its still running.

>>697985
best gen ranger right there.
>>
>>698102
I own one, the one in the picture and work on them for a living, they're awful vehicles to drive, just to add the one in the picture is 100% live front end too and afaik they went IFS in the early 90's for higher spec models and late 90's for all models.
>>
File: 00303_hl79JpDAJCi_600x4501.jpg (47 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00303_hl79JpDAJCi_600x4501.jpg
47 KB, 600x450
>>696196
I got one of these. She gets the job done and more. Wish I had the v6 though. Can't tow shit with the four cylinder. 300k and still going. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to replace the timing chain guide soon. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make them plastic was an idiot.
>>
File: alvin.png (103 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
alvin.png
103 KB, 235x215
technically most of this video is on roads, buuut i think it'd do okay in a variety of terrains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMyZ929lpY
>>
>>696436
those seem expensive
>>
>>698123
>2wd

What happens when you can't gun it and go 60 through the woods?
>>
Ausfag wanting in to Subaru love thread.

Bought it new 8 years ago, no complaints.

It is low slung, so it can't take any rough tracks, but thats no problem. Rough tracks are best done in trail runners.
>>
>>696428
fug that looks comfy
>>
>>698212
We have the exact same car, twin anon.
>>
File: IMG_0516.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0516.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>696201
Picked up an 02 outback in august, Generally happy with it aside from a few issues. Immediately took it on an 8000 mile road trip about the states and another 6k since then. Still solid BUT I got a check engine light at 1k miles outside of salt lake.
Dealership there said it w from the catalytic converter. My dealership said its fine, well look at it when you get back. When i get home without looking t it they said it would be $1k to replace the cat. Not having that kind of money and not needing a smog I've just been driving it while saving my funds.
>>
File: lada niva.jpg (213 KB, 1600x1003) Image search: [Google]
lada niva.jpg
213 KB, 1600x1003
>>696196
this thing is beast
in my counrty rangers use it
>>
File: Subaru mod 01.jpg (87 KB, 850x638) Image search: [Google]
Subaru mod 01.jpg
87 KB, 850x638
>>698373
Was helping a friend with car issues recently and the helpful O'Rileys guy gave me the lowdown.
1. If the engine is installed poorly(mine had a brand new shop rebuild and same with the transmission) or coolant is somehow allowed to leak into the exhaust it will kill the cat.
2. If the check engine light is on, the Fuel control modual reverts to its base mix which costs about 3mpg in efficiency and will kill the cat In a few thousand miles(another think i wish i had known back in Salt lake)
3. If the check engine light comes on and the code pops up for the cat(p420) then, get it turned off. Subaru set the emission tolerances even tighter than Ca requires at 70ppm rather than 100 ppm.
4. If it comes back, get your o2 sensor checked/replaced($62 part)
5. If it comes back again, run some cat cleaner through it.
If it comes back again than one of the two(!?!?) cats may be bad and can be individually tested
6. If you have a bad cat, replace it with a $400 oem or >$200 aftermarket cat.

All in all, very happy with my lil outback. I can sleep in the back and haul alot of gear. There is room for me to sleep and 5 of the big black costco storage boxes. I really want to mod it out as a wasteland vehicle(lift kit, scoop, tow package, snorkel, roof rack) but right now it is the perfect low profile urban camouflage.
>>
>>696196
long as you're not a complete nimrod, K5 Blazer, Ramcharger & Bronco all make great picks
>>
Don't buy a little Japanese station wagon. Buy a cheap American truck with 4WD so you can actually drive over a log. Subarus are made to drive on the street. Only a Jeep or a truck is actually going to drive on a trail. And it'll haul your gear, or a canoe, etc.
>>
>>698757
>>698757
This. Just buy the least shitty zj grand cherokee or xj cherokee you can find
>>
File: 20140623_144326.jpg (5 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20140623_144326.jpg
5 MB, 4128x2322
2.8l diesel Toyota Hilux 1993
>>
File: IMAG0412.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0412.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>696512
Seconded.
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 275x183
>>696196
>not posting this /out/ motherfucker

For real, fuck you, Canada.
>>
>>696201
Great car for mall Crawling.
>>
what about a first generation Chevrolet Equinox? I'm looking to buy a car that I can use for day to day but it can also do /out/
>>
Some of my friends and I are going on a trip from Florida up to the smoky mountains after our HS graduation. We won't be doing any crazy trailing or anything but we'll still be taking a lot of back mountain roads.
We're taking an auto 4wd fj cruiser with a transfer case that one our friend's mom owns. Thoughts?
We were originally going to take his 97 4runner but his parents preferred we take a newer more reliable car. Fine by us, the fj seems way better.
Also general tips for a bunch of 18 year olds going on their first big trip?
>>
File: IMG_20151230_162317989_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151230_162317989_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
Rate my off road truck pls
>>
>>699538
6.5/10
>>
>>697558
>Because the J70 is only still sold in places like Australia and Japan. The rest of the world gets the obese J200.

and NZ, stay cucked rest of the world.
>>
>>698908
kiwi detected.
>>
>>698935
>>
File: Picture018.jpg (204 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Picture018.jpg
204 KB, 1024x768
>>698935
CANADA
>>
>>699379
Almost anything is better than an equinox. Or any of the plastic american made "suvs". Pretty sure every subaru has more ground clearance than that equinox.

Also, what makes a daily driver for you? I know of very few /out/ vehicles that couldn't easily be a daily driver.
>>
File: IG70.jpg (45 KB, 533x654) Image search: [Google]
IG70.jpg
45 KB, 533x654
>>699538
>balding Mickey Thompson's
>not BFG's or Mastercraft
>buying into the sidewall tread meme
no wonder you can't afford to replace them
>>
File: 1453550838489.jpg (72 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
1453550838489.jpg
72 KB, 630x420
>>
File: lux.jpg (672 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
lux.jpg
672 KB, 1920x1280
>>
File: mypatrol33kv.gif (179 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
mypatrol33kv.gif
179 KB, 640x425
>>
>86 replies
>no landrover
>>
File: 20150504_115654-1024x576.jpg (195 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
20150504_115654-1024x576.jpg
195 KB, 1024x576
My landcruiser prado
Diesel, 180l fuel tanks winch snorkel etc
>>
>>699592
>small pickups
>snorkels
>roll bars
why did these things die off after the 80's in America? feelsbadman
>>
>>699593
My guess because no american manufacturer made them only imports.

We have heaps of "midsize" pickups and monterro sized 4wds which are very good.

Snorkels here mostly for dust than anything else water crossings well if you need one ots probably to deep!!
>>
>>696201

Maybe if you spend most of your day at a fucking whole foods jacking off in the bathroom.
>>
>>699603
too many other Americans when it comes to off roading and trucks think "ugg big truck, big diesel, hurr make me masculine" with no concept of lower curb weights and smaller wheelbases being better.
>>
File: IMG_20160229_011547.jpg (4 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160229_011547.jpg
4 MB, 3984x2988
>>697948
>Geo Tracker w/4x4; top off all the fluids, make sure it starts and when it breaks, haul it out and go spend $500 on another one...

This guy gets it. Here's some pics from today's snow wheelin'.
>>
File: IMG_20160229_011521.jpg (5 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160229_011521.jpg
5 MB, 3984x2988
>>699623
Snow wheelin' in Colorado at 8500 feet in the 97 Tracker.
>>
>>697558

On the Nissan, unfortunately I don't, but I'll take some this year if this thread ever shows up again. Sorry mate.
>>
>>699623
>>699626
That snow depth tho. Does it have a limited slip or locker?
>>
File: IMG_20160229_012828.jpg (336 KB, 1280x956) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160229_012828.jpg
336 KB, 1280x956
>>699623
>>699626
One more.
>>
File: IMG_20160229_014325.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160229_014325.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>699623
>>699626
>>699629
>>699632
Stock 97 Tracker, excluding bigger rims/tires. Auto locking hubs. Auto tranny. No A/C.
>>
File: IG63.jpg (67 KB, 796x711) Image search: [Google]
IG63.jpg
67 KB, 796x711
>>699636
With open diffs (basically 2wd) and by the look of that snow, props to you for getting through.
>>
>>699636
Heh, been wondering wtf this Geo Tracker thing was, now I see it's what I know as a Vitara, I think they're proof weight is hugely important for easy offroading, they get away with a lot of stuff big 4wd's can't.
>>
File: IMG_20150711_171156.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150711_171156.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>699646
Also known as Suzuki Sidekick (later became Vitara in the US). Yep. Very capable, and still good for daily driving.

Here's Ouray, CO.
>>
>>699548

Tasmanian m8
>>
File: FB_IMG_1450247633212.jpg (65 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1450247633212.jpg
65 KB, 960x540
Toyota Landcruiser IMHO
>>
>>696497
I think you'd be surprised

Try out a Forester and an XV at the same age... you'll pretty quickly realise how different they are, especially in terms of ride comfort
>>
What do you guys think of the Toyota RAV4? Im backpacking so its nice because its cheap and i can sleep in it but I also want to go out with it, her myself to remote trailheads etc. Probably gonna be a 1996-98model
>>
>>699623
>go spend $500 on another one

Wow. Welp, don't know where you live, but if you craigslist "tracker" around here, you get late 90s geo trackers going for between 3000-6000. You see one of the 500 dollar trackers (or samurais for that matter) you let me know now, you hear?
>>
>>696439
>every asshole who has one
No, every asshole that has to pay someone to change his oil. Think about the kind of sample you job was pulling.
>>
>>698935
>fuck you, Canada
Why Canada? Are you a but blasted American who can't import these from Japan?
>>
>>699724
I got mine for $2k. I've seen em cheaper, but looking rough. Not sure where $500 guy lives either.
>>
>>699832
Yes. I'm a buttblasted American who cannot have his Delica. Actually, I think I could probably drive up and get one, I've seen them in the states, but I don't have the money to blow on one and they are spendy.

They're just my favorite /out/ car is all and it seems they are abundant up north.
>>
>>699827
This.

Although to be fair, I put a transmission cooler on one and decided I wanted to replace all the tranny fluid. Subaru needs their special snowflake fluid so I called Jiffy lube just to see how much they wanted. They quoted me wayyyyyy below how much it would've cost to buy it myself.

When I got there, they realized they needed special fluid, and the manager literally got in his car and drove to the subaru dealer down the street, bought the fluid, and ate the cost difference. Blew me away.
>>
F150
>>
Can a 4x2 Tacoma handle some light off-roading? I'm not talking about steep inclines or rocky roads through forests, I'm only planning to drive on
>fire roads
>gravel
>beach sand
>unkempt grass
>thin soil

Any help is appreciated.
>>
File: 20151214_113429.jpg (991 KB, 1830x1274) Image search: [Google]
20151214_113429.jpg
991 KB, 1830x1274
Going to do a Washington/BC/Idaho trip in a few months

>>700178
Yes easily with half decent tires, just air way down for sand
>>
>>696219
Foresters are great. I had the 2009 base model (the one that stands up high like a proper SUV) when I lived in the US (EJ253 came with it). Auto sucks though. Get one in manual and it will be great.
>>
>>700178
Depends if it has an open diff or not. With an open differential, a "2wd" is really more of a 1wd.
>>
>>699593
>>699603
>>699606
It has a lot to do with the chicken tax, but autos have been suffering from bloat over the last 20 years or so.
>>
>>696196
>Xterra
>X
>t
>e
>r
>r
>a

2004 or older of you need autotragic
2005_or newer for manual
>>
>>698183
I was just shopping for something 4WD or AWD about a month or so ago. That was my feeling too. I've driven a friend's CRV and they just don't feel worth what a lot of people want for them.

I wound up getting a 2001 4dr blazer, it's in surprisingly good shape for what I paid for it. I need some new tires soonish, but it handles pretty well off-road.
>>
personally i'd take a mid 90's ranger/b-series

the only thing you really have to worry about on them is them rotting out from underneath you, and there's enough aftermarket support that you can modify it to handle some seriously rough terrain
>>
File: 1456190811787.jpg (33 KB, 475x339) Image search: [Google]
1456190811787.jpg
33 KB, 475x339
Who needs 4wd when you have raw Swede POWAH
>>
File: troopy.jpg (110 KB, 540x329) Image search: [Google]
troopy.jpg
110 KB, 540x329
Nothing beats a 4WD turbo diesel Toyota Landcruiser Troopy, rigged with roof tent, awnings, long range fuel tanks, dual battery, solar panels, pull out kitchen, shit loads of storage etc etc etc
>>
I am thinking of buying a Nava Lida, does anyone have experience with it?
Jimny seems a better car but it looks fucking ridicilous, can't have that.
>>
>>700604
landcruisers are awesome, but expensive and I have zero use for part time 4wd desu

fulltime 4wd with a central diff is more useful for 90% of people
>>
>>700644
But less capable 100% of the time, less fuel efficient on road, less able off-road.
>>
File: 18nbf2k6clo0cjpg.jpg (113 KB, 1024x684) Image search: [Google]
18nbf2k6clo0cjpg.jpg
113 KB, 1024x684
As much as I dislike Tacoma owners as the most unreasonable, overpriced car sellers on the planet, I must admit the trucks are /out/ as fuck.
>STILL available with a stick
>factory installed lockers
>that sexy short wheelbase
>>
>>701098
Less capable how

The diff is locked in 4wd meaning exactly the same 50/50 power split front and rear

I drive a fulltime 4wd. More stable in the wet on gravel and dirt roads better im snow and ice.
Yes bit more fuel but much more stable, controllable and safer
>>
>>699573
not gonna lie guys that hurts
>>
>>699573
Also, those side treads have actually came in handy hugging the sides of hills going up steep ass dirt trails =/ i don't know maybe i'm just an ignorant dickbag
>>
whats your guy's opinion on 4runners? I've been looking to get a 90-2000 one for /out/ adventures.
>>
File: IMG_20150211_165830831_HDR_-L.jpg (110 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150211_165830831_HDR_-L.jpg
110 KB, 800x534
>>699575
fuck yeah power wagon
>>
>>701110
>The diff is locked in 4wd meaning exactly the same 50/50 power split front and rear

If the diff is locked in 4wd, the large bulk of constant 4wd's don't have a locking centre whilst every part time 4wd has a locking centre. If your constant 4wd has a centre lock and lockers/LSD then yes it has the capability to be just as able assuming it also has low range, just most of them don't.

>I drive a fulltime 4wd. More stable in the wet on gravel and dirt roads better im snow and ice.

I drive a part time 4wd, it's more stable in the wet, gravel and dirt roads because I select 4wd before I drive on said surfaces. If the surface is slippery enough to necessitate 4wd, then a part time can simply select 4wd without having to drive that extra diff assembly for the 95% of normal driving you do wearing shit out unnecessarily.

>Yes bit more fuel but much more stable, controllable and safer
You keep saying these things....
>>
Would an 06 Wrangler Rubicon be a good choice for /out/ related adventures?
>>
>>701389
wranglers are very capable offroad but god do they look awful
>>
>>701389
Yeah, that'll do. It's a 2006 so it should be a TJ. I have a preference for YJ Wranglers but TJs are alright. I'm not a fan of the JKs.
>>
>>701221
Put the wife in it and she isnt going to flick in and out of 4wd on roads, my kids are worth more than a bit of fuel and maintenance.

Here in Australia virtually all fulltime 4wds have a centre locking diff in my experience is that not the case in other markets?

As for wear in my mind its so minor its really a non issue anyone who takes a car offroad is likely to over service and maintain their vehicles because getting stuck 800km from the nearest town is pretty shitty
>>
>>700604

But the pic is a non-turbo straight six mate.
>>
>>701408

The whole 'full time 4wd is safer' argument is joke in my opinion. All vehicles are safe, so long as you drive to the conditions. This is inclusive of the condition and capabilities of the vehicle. Basically, slow tf down.

>>701221 has a point in that most full time 4wd do no have low range. If you're serious about going off road, it's a must. Any vehicle that doesn't have it and is sold as an outdoorsy adventure car is simply taking advantage of buyer ignorance.
>>
>>701510
Do you call a an awd car 4wd in your country? Here 4wd means transfercase and low range otherwise its an awd ala subaru
>>
the most adverse conditions I drive in usually is ice and light snow, for which full time 4wd or awd is more useful since I still want to drive somewhat normally and turn corners without driveline binding, but still retain the added traction
>>
>>701513

You're in straya yeah?

I actually meant AWD when I mentioned full time 4wd. My apologies.
>>
File: 2011-01-02 11.42.40-1.jpg (1 MB, 1175x1802) Image search: [Google]
2011-01-02 11.42.40-1.jpg
1 MB, 1175x1802
My ride when going innawoods
>>
I picked up a 99 ranger 4x4 for my outing, mostly fishing and camping along rivers/lakes in California. Got it for a reasonable price ($2k) for what it is and parts are everywhere and there's a ton that I can do to customize it.

Was heavily considering a two door Cherokee or 4runner, though they've been incredibly difficult to find and cost much more for way worse condition than the ranger I got.
>>
>>701583
If you're on a surface where AWD might be an advantage then you aren't going to suffer driveline bind
>>
A 1979 chevy k5 blazer
>>
File: IMG_5168.jpg (2 MB, 2910x2447) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5168.jpg
2 MB, 2910x2447
I've been using an 83' 300 TD. But I'm thinking about retiring it and getting a Jeep XJ...
>>
File: 0263997842003.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
0263997842003.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
Who /comfycar/ here?
>>
>>701750
nice
>>
>>701629

This photo is taken from the carpark at Nelson Falls on the Lyelll Highway in Western Tasmania.
>>
File: $_20.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
$_20.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>696626
>Can switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive

The book for mine recommends only doing that at less than 80. I've done it at 100.

Pic not mine but similar
>>
>>699854
>>699724
i guess hes german, link related
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/auto?isSearchRequest=true&vc=Car&dam=0&ms=23600%3B17
>>
>>698183
mine was $8k for a 2004 with 120k miles. it has a lot more room, significantly better milage, and a better reputation for reliability than anything else its size except the rav4. as a reliable, efficient, comfortable daily driver with reasonable /out/ capabilities it was worth the premium imo.
>>
File: SHNF.jpg (548 KB, 1080x1845) Image search: [Google]
SHNF.jpg
548 KB, 1080x1845
>going out in a car
>not using a dual sport motorcycle

casuals, the lot of you
>>
>>702782
how do you carry guns and skis and other shit on a bike though
>>
>>702917
luggage bags, backpacks, and loadse bungee cords
>>
>>702652
Yep did a lap of tasmania westcoast around to bay of fires.

Going back in april for another trip with my prado this time. Strathgordon is on the cards. Any suggestions for destinations
>>
File: mu car.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mu car.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
>>
>>699593
One thing that I heard about why small trucks died is that the main reason people bought them was for the better mpg, and tech now days is getting the mpg of full size trucks to pretty much what a small truck could get. I still think there should be more of them though . . .
>>
>>697673
my nigga
>>
Old Subie wagon 4wd, a come-along and some cable. Invincible!
>>
>>701967
I was so disappointed when I first sat in one of those.
>>
>>701967
One of the worst off road jeeps ever
>>
File: 2380.jpg (51 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
2380.jpg
51 KB, 600x450
>>696196

2003 S10, 17' wheels (a little too big to off-road, but it gets the job done). pic is not mine, but she's served me well. v6.
>>
>>703126
You ever have any trouble with the 4wd on that? Mine's been making noises and I'm not sure if it's the front diff or the transfer case.
>>
>>703010
I would be surprised if full sized trucks could manage 8l/100km - 30mpg like the mid Japanese 4wd wagons
>>
File: IMG_20140831_155809669-L.jpg (108 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140831_155809669-L.jpg
108 KB, 800x451
>>702782
whynotboth?.jpg
>>
>>703163
my Prado averages is a midsize 4x4 and small diesel do many American 4wd's get that?

newer ones here are doing 35+mpg
>>
>>703180
we have some shitty crossover-type SUVs that will get decent mileage but they're not really good for much off-roading.

I also don't see a lot of guys running diesel 4x4's. I'm not saying no one does, but most of the time it's gasoline.
>>
File: 20150602_211203.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20150602_211203.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I love my piece of shit S10
>suspension shot
>dash and radio gutted, wires poking out
>driver's door doesn't work
>starts without the key
>squeaky as all hell
>holes in the exhaust
>windows off track
>370000 km
>heater doesn't work
>all gauges go up and down in sync with the turn signal

I'm gonna run this thing into the ground and when it's beyond help, I'll scrap it and get another one.
>>
File: gc5027469818476557455.jpg (90 KB, 830x553) Image search: [Google]
gc5027469818476557455.jpg
90 KB, 830x553
>>703180
It doesn't get 35 American mpg I would think though, that would be the equiv of 6.7l/100, you gotta remember a USgal is 3.8l and an Imp gal is 4.5l but yeah most Prado/Pajero/Discovery type vehicles in manual diesel get around the 30USmpg or 8/100.

>>703182
In Aus diesel 4wd's would be 2/3 of 4wd's around and that ratio is increasing, the fuel economy is just so much better in a heavy vehicle.
Also the Japanese vehicles which are to the Japanese and most other countries full size - 2.2-2.7t are properly 4wd, locking centre diff, low range, options for electric lockers, LSD as standard. Things like the Pajero/Shogun are great for versatility too, 2wd, constant 4wd, locked 4wd high and low range and 7 seats if that's your thing.
>>
>>703194
>Also the Japanese vehicles which are to the Japanese and most other countries full size - 2.2-2.7t are properly 4wd, locking centre diff, low range, options for electric lockers, LSD as standard. Things like the Pajero/Shogun are great for versatility too, 2wd, constant 4wd, locked 4wd high and low range and 7 seats if that's your thing.
Yeah, we don't really get those in our market anymore.

And diesels just aren't that popular in the US unless you're getting a big pickup truck.
>>
>>703182
The new Jeeps have a diesel option. Ride breddy nice, quiet and don't sound like a big rumbly diesel (pickup, tractor, etc). Seem to do well offroad (radio tower access).
>>
File: Defender90.jpg (360 KB, 2676x1810) Image search: [Google]
Defender90.jpg
360 KB, 2676x1810
>ctrl+f
>no Defender
>>
>>703133
Unfortunately, it doesn't have 4WD, only 2WD...not too good for heavy offroading, also pretty low.
>>
>>699576
dat ass
>>
>>699578
I have one, it was my first car. It's built like a military vehicle without looking like one too badly. SHIT TON of space for hauling shit in.
>>
>>703192
Damn that's a piece of shit
>>
File: f250 approuve by isis.jpg (38 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
f250 approuve by isis.jpg
38 KB, 750x422
>>696626
f250
>>699379
my mom lost a part of the bumper in a snowstorm.
get something a lot more expandable because those equinox are expensive for what they are.
>>699578
expensive and they have a bad reputation
>>
>>703404
>The true off road vehicle
Getting it back on the road can be an issue though.
>>
File: HEEP.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
HEEP.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 500x281
>>704757
I would still do a Grand Cherokee. They are great on the road and really capable off road for an SUV that is an upper-middle class soccer mom mobile.
>>
>>704760
Good thing I already own that Wrangler.......
>>
>>704765
How does it handle at highway speeds?
>>
File: Blazer.jpg (32 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Blazer.jpg
32 KB, 600x450
Lifted 1990 4x4 c/k blazer with new 35" Goodyear Wrangler MTR tires new 15" American racing wheels 350 motor with headers and dual exhaust.

Its good in the Minnesota snow, and the mud, which is coming soon now that it is warming up. I can get nearly anywhere with this ride, except of course the most dense woods. Tows boats and trailers awesomely. Also my hunting vehicle.
Nice healthy motor with only 127,492 miles.

Only con is the body is rusty, but its a bush blazer. Got it for a steal of only $800.
I love my blazer.
>>
>>704766
It will do 80mph no worries, gets a little worrisome in the 90's. But I grew up driving a YJ, so the longer wheelbase of the LJ makes it easy to drive.

If you aren't used to it, it can scare the shit out of you quick according to a buddy I let borrow it for a weekend.
>>
>>702661

That bumper though... hideous.

It looks half plastic also which isn't good for off-road... is that a stock item from Toyota for the Hilux?
>>
File: ARBHiluxComBar0509-233.jpg (64 KB, 538x303) Image search: [Google]
ARBHiluxComBar0509-233.jpg
64 KB, 538x303
>>704790
>is that a stock item from Toyota for the Hilux?

Yep. Its their standard steel winch compatible bar. These are a popular non genuine alternative.
>>
My do list this year
Soft topper canopy
Bed cage
Shackle and t bar lift
33s
Tube bumper
>>
Can't go wrong with a Honda or Subaru SUV. I had a Jeep for almost 8 years and it was hard on gas. I bought a brand new Honda Pilot in 2012 and have taken it on 2 road trips across the states and put 140K miles on it so far and it runs like a charm.
>>
What's a good SUV that gets 27+ mpg and is AWD for general cross country travel? Thinking of buying a Subaru Forester.
>>
>>696219
Subarus are lesbian vehicles. Are you a lesbian?
>>
Suzuki Samuri
>>
File: accesorios-givi-bmw-g650gs_01.jpg (96 KB, 1024x700) Image search: [Google]
accesorios-givi-bmw-g650gs_01.jpg
96 KB, 1024x700
>>702917
>>
>>696604

10/10 would drop kids off at school with
>>
>>703194
>air intake above the roof line

does this thing actually snorkel?
>>
File: canoe car.jpg (199 KB, 980x1306) Image search: [Google]
canoe car.jpg
199 KB, 980x1306
What's a good vehicle that can both transport canoe/kayaks on top and can tow a small boat trailer? Thinking Mid-size SUV vs. LgJeep vs. SmTruck type categories. Would like off-road capable 4x4 and decent torque if possible.

pic related.... What I've been hauling my canoe on top with the last 10 years... a lowered '99 Civic Si lol
>>
>>701109
>Short wheelbase
m8 have you even seen the hilux...
>>706876
hilux/prado/pajero in tarbo diesel variants
>>
>>706872
eh?
>>
>>706888
Don't think Ameribros can get any of them man.
>>
>>706917

The black plastic thing up by the roof. That is the engine air intake. Usually down inside the engine bay, but if it gets submerged the engine will suck in water and be flooded. On some off-road vehicles they run the intake up to the roof so it stays above water. Supposedly you can drive through water up as high as that.
>>
>>707680
Yeah I know what a snorkel is, what I don't get is the question,
>does it actually snorkel?
That is it's function is it not?
One of the other huge benefits in Australia is getting the air intake out of the dust down low.
>>
>>703709
>bad reputation

citation needed
>>
File: 0002.jpg (110 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
0002.jpg
110 KB, 640x480
>>704768
Older Blazers are real nice rides. I own a 2001 Blazer and it can get around. I'd put money into it but I'd rather wait until I can get my hands on an Isuzu Amigo.
>>
>>704768
Body rust ain't no thing so long as the frame is solid.
>>
>>702661
That bumper
Those low hanging steps
No clearance
Top lel IFS
Open diff or at best shit tier LSD

Top Fucking kek 0.1/10
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 425x235) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 425x235
>>696196
Get a Chevy pickup or a ford or Chevy cargo van (econoline/express) A ford truck may be decent if you can live with other dudes hitting on you constantly (and offering you blowjobs in public restrooms)

>truck pros
-Gets mad bitches
-great clearance
-can tow your boat/camper
-pisses off hippies
-able to use a slide in camper
-safer than a car
-better off roaring than a jeep because most off road trails are made by trucks (jeeps have a narrower wheelbase than trucks and can't easily drive in ruts made by pickups)
-you can move without renting a box truck
-can put animal carcasses in the bed, or kayaks, or your gimp in a box

>Truck cons
-everyone will know you have a little dick if you have a nice one and they'll think your white trash if you have an old beater

>Van pros
-4x4s are available (extremely rare)
-you can tow stuff
-customizable (beds, mini fridge, TVs, fish tanks, ect.)
-able to live in it if you become homeless
-huge side panels for gnarly Star Wars murals
-holds up to 15 passengers
-holds almost all of the shit your girlfriend brought on your camping trip

>Van cons
-Buffalo Bill drove one
>>
>>696196
Picked me up a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $550. Runs like a dream, drivetrain lever, high ground clearance. I've taken it to hell and back.

I named it Michael J. Fox because it shakes at high speeds sometimes
>>
File: 20151010_130805.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20151010_130805.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
>>708020
Full size trucks are great for /out/
>>
>>696196
Any car can be outdoor if you are crazy enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiy4o9no8xc
>>
File: 20160211_151424.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160211_151424.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>
>>708040
Until you have to turn them around on a tight track where the bank looks like it could give way. Been there.
>>
File: 4040404040404040.jpg (36 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
4040404040404040.jpg
36 KB, 600x450
>>698908
>THAT STINGER/RECEIVER SETUP
>>
>>708072
>STINGER/RECEIVER

Wrong thread?
>>
>>707956
I wish they still made capable little mini SUVs (not glorified station wagon/mini vans) like the Amigo. Almost bought one a while back, but ended up going with a trooper ii instead.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 675x506) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 675x506
I've said this once, and I'll say it again. You can not go wrong in buying a second hand Toyota Hilux that the previous owner has modified for proper four wheel driving. Generally they're at a reasonable price and have good aftermarket parts.

If you live in Australia this is especially a good choice. Dual cab models with decent tray space is a plus.
>>
>>696732

Because in the US you have to sit in stop and go traffic for an hour to get to your job and constantly working the clutch is just one more thing you have to do.
>>
>>710999
>the previous owner has modified
NO NO NO NO NO

you buy things stock and modify it yourself.
>>
>>711766
Cheaper to buy
Generally better service history and maintained to a higher standard.

In aus generally rural owners where most 4x4 have bullbars etc

Make a judgment on previous owner
>>
I'm buying a new vehicle for /out/ but will also be my daily drive.

I got to choose between a 2002 Ford Ranger or a 2006 Subaru Outback.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 600x400
>>711766
Sorry bud, but generally if you buy a modified 4x4 in Australia it's been done well. Besides, good luck finding a 1980 - 1997 Hilux that hasn't had lift kits, bull bars, side bars, side steps installed. It's better to buy an old modified fourbie than it is to buy a stock or new fourbie.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 640x427
>>711794
Outback
Pic is a Forester but what the heck
>>
>>700178
Yes.

I have a similar small 2wd and it goes almost anywhere you could take a big 4wd. The only problem is the gearing is too high and crawling is brutal on the clutch. Although I assume youre american so an auto would do fine.

What you come to realise is that 4wd is nice to have when you get stuck but for 99% of off roading it isnt necessary. All you really need is a little clearance, low gears, and light weight.

Having said that many peoples idea of offroading is "Can I drive through that massive bog" my idea is "Can I get to where im going".
>>
>>701500
How can you tell?
>>
>>707956
>this
>>
>>711806
You can't from that photo but the factory turbo 78/79 cruisers are thin on the ground so it's a fair bet.
>>
>>710358
It's a shame they don't anymore. Everything past the early 2000s looks like shit. Chevy Tracker and the Geo Tracker aren't bad but there's something about the Amigo. It's aesthetic as fuck. It's awful Isuzu went out of business.
>>
>>711908
> It's awful Isuzu went out of business.

They're still very much in business.
>>
>>703404
based

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDEEKGUq-9Y
>>
>>696196
>jeep or truck only
>>
scooby, audi or volvo with a lift kit and a skid plate
>>
>>698926
That's a nice bumper
>>
>>701109
>tfw no cia sad/sog bros to operate inna desert with
>>
File: subaru_baja_la_01.jpg (78 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
subaru_baja_la_01.jpg
78 KB, 1024x681
All I want in my life is a Subaru Baja
>4 door
>4 wd
>flatbed
>roughly size of a large sedan
>Subaru
>>
>>696512
Amen, brother. My '89 is my one and only love
>>
File: 1456013523801.jpg (21 KB, 550x428) Image search: [Google]
1456013523801.jpg
21 KB, 550x428
>>696626
>anyone who watches TopGear
>>
>>713313
>not watching top gear
>>
>>697985
Driving a 2005 4x4 Ranger beater. Probably the best offroad rig I've had yet. So light and short enough to maneuver.
>>
Thoughts on mid 80s to early 90s Toyota Land Cruisers? I really want one but still wanna know what everyone else thinks of them. They come up frequently on my local craigslist
>>
File: tacoma 4x4.jpg (66 KB, 626x382) Image search: [Google]
tacoma 4x4.jpg
66 KB, 626x382
im actual going to the dealership sometime next week to get my new truck. cant imagine it would be anything but great off road
>>
>>713319
Reality TV shows are for fat fag-hags and catty fags
>>
File: 3518827.jpg (107 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
3518827.jpg
107 KB, 700x525
>>713943
>Diesel
If they're 2H/3B engined they're filthy slow, 1HZ is a fair bit more comfy for actual highway work, 12H-T or 1HD-T are the best options by a mile but are correspondingly more expensive.

>Petrol
3F engined vehicles are sorta ok for power but thirsty bitches, the FZ series engines have noticeably more power but are still pretty thirsty.

Generally they're reliable, a lot of it comes down to the previous owner/maintenance, the 60 series are dinosaurs compared to the 80 series to drive(Steering/Brake feel etc), the 75's are sorta in between. The LSD if it's factory will probably be shot, if you want to 4wd I'd suggest either getting it sorted or getting a locker fitted. If it's a constant 4wd 80 listen to the drivetrain and feel for backlash/slack between front and rear drive when you get on and off the power, the gearbox isn't the strongest on cruisers and they can get pretty whiney.

Hope that made a little sense, it's late and I'm hitting the sack.

>Pic related is the Cruiser I'd recommend for anyone looking for an earlier model wagon - HDJ80, if you can find one, with the 1HDF-T engine. For a later wagon, HDJ105 with the 1HDF-TE engine.
>>
>>713976
There's nothing reality about top gear big fella
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 600x400
HILUX
I
L
U
X
>>
>>711766
Might be true for ricer cars. But it's a lot different in the 4x4 community, especially in aus. Most things need engineer certs these days too so there's an extra level of assurance.
>>
File: IMG_0232.jpg (4 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0232.jpg
4 MB, 3024x4032
/out/ collegefag here. So this is my baby.

>cheap
>standard transmission
>4wd
>handles fine in the snow
>gets me where I need to go
>mg gf loves it

It's just as old as I am, but it's been pretty faithful so far. Planning on taking it out to Philmont (New Mexico) this summer.
>>
>>703404
I am so hopelessly in love with the Defender but i am doomed to live in the U.S., the only ones here are incredibly over prices or falling to pieces.
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 640x480
SUBIE
U
B
I
E
>>
File: P1000932.jpg (149 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
P1000932.jpg
149 KB, 800x600
Thinking of getting a Suzuki Jimny as my first car, shame it's only a 4 seater, but they are so cool when lifted and on big tyres.
>>
>>715692
Even better since they don't need to go crazy big lift or massive big tyres to look badass. 31"s look monstrous on them.
>>
>>715699
Yeah man, seriously think I'll get one, they're really dank
>>
>>715701
Just be wary of the short wheel base. They can go/fit in areas on tracks that most larger 4bys wont. But they don't have a great break over angle and that can catch you out a lot more than you think. All in all though they are awesome little buggers. Little perilous at speed on the highways, but once you're at a track they rock
>>
>>715707
Thanks for the advice man!
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>700384
This!
>>
>>706876
Xterra! 05+ manual
>>
File: image.jpg (263 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
263 KB, 1024x768
Everyone is wrong you need a SHORTY
>>
In the northwest, you are expected to drive a Subaru if you are /out/. In the south/southeast everybody drives Ford/Toyota pickups because made in murica (Toyota plant in Texas). Everywhere else it doesn't matter. I moved to Montana a few years ago and expected everybody to look like rugged rednecks driving beat up 70s-80s trucks, but it's actually mostly normal looking people and their Subarus and the few ranchers in their big diesel trucks. I have no fucking clue how every farmer in the country complains about how hard it is to make a living yet they drive around in $60K trucks and live in huge fucking houses owning thousands of acres of land. It fucking pisses me off.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 96

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.