[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cold steel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: cold-steel-warm-loins.jpg (51 KB, 730x699) Image search: [Google]
cold-steel-warm-loins.jpg
51 KB, 730x699
Seen a lot of things about cold steel tools, they seem like they're cheap and reliable but what does /out/ think?
>>
I prefer warm steel desu senpai
>>
the cold steel shovel is nice because its light weight, single piece construction and the slightly longer handle gives you a little more heft than the smaller fold up shovels.

If your looking for a good non folding hand shovel, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one for the price.
>>
Glock shovel
>>
>>695552
It seems like a good chopping tool but not the greatest shovel considering how thin it is and that you have an incredibly thin edge that's just waiting to be chipped
>>
>>695552

Good knives and tools in the cheap - medium range.

Absolutely haram on the high end range.

They make cool stuff every kid would want
>>
I have a cold steel kukri "machete" that I've had for years that I mostly use these days to dig shit holes and hammer tent stakes. Used to chop shit down and build shelters with it in highschool. If their shovel is as durable as the big knife then it's probably a great investment if you enjoy using it. Wouldn't buy their "high end" knives, giant swords etc.
>>
>>695572

This. It's gotten good reviews, even from people who otherwise hate Cold Steel.

Non folding turns out to be an asset: lighter and more durable. It's a great shovel, a surprisingly good chopper, and can be thrown for lolz. If you plan on throwing it, get a spare handle because it'll break.

The handle is disappointing. Yeah it's hickory, but it's covered in shitty varnish. A lot of people sand it off and coat it in BLO.

Great piece of cheap kit.
>>
>>695935

Is this from personal experience? All the reviews say that the blade is thick and durable, and fine at digging.
>>
>>695957
I have one

Works great for a chopper
Very good as a shovel

Buy an extra handle
>>
>>695552
Looks like it would be good for digging a shitter
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with a hand shovel.
Why pack a larger, bulkier, and heavier shovel when literally a larger knife could do the same thing?
>>
>>696260
This would be for someone who wants something larger than a hand shovel or large knife.
>>
>>696269
Well, I guess I understand that, but I want to know the justification behind getting a larger tool. This is an out board after all. What out related activities would require a larger shovel than a hand shovel?
>>
>>696282
to dig a trench into bad soil of course
>>
>>696282
Shovels simply come in handy around camp. A larger shovel is handier than a tiny trowel. The only reason one would carry a smaller shovel, therefore, is someone who is interested in limiting the size and weight of their load.

In other words, there's more to /out/ than backpacking. Personally, I would take that canoe tripping and put it in my day pack, and definitely use it for car camping. The ONLY thing I wouldn't use it for would be backpacking.
>>
>>696290
i wanted to have a shovel in my car for a long time.
i just can't decide on what kind.
>>
>>695556
Every post deserves a reply
>>
shovels are useful if you're doing forestry work, but i would bring a real/serious tool for those purposes. deffo not the type of shovel you would bring for that. cold steel stuff is designed more with self defense in mind, so i'm guessing it's going to be heavy.

car camping w/ a shovel is a good point, since weight isn't a factor, but i would personally look into one of those multi-tool shovel hatchet thingies if i were buying one for camping.
>>
>>695552
Have and used the cold steel shoveled in the pic. Solid as hell and sharp. Capable also of chopping small limbs like an axe for the fire.
>>
>>696290
I promise I'm not trying to be an autist or anything, just legitimately curious. Now, i understand backpacking is only one of many out activities that you can do, but ive never needed a shovel for anything (I fish, hike, backpack, car camp). How does a shovel come in handy when out for you?
>>
File: IMG_20160130_144438.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_144438.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>696499
>>
>>696510
I concede
>>
File: never-happens.png (14 KB, 701x269) Image search: [Google]
never-happens.png
14 KB, 701x269
>>696519
>>
>>696499
a shovel fits in the category of tools you can manufacture. there are tools you cant reproduce, and tools you can, given other tools. a knife or axe or saw cannot be reproduced, but they can reproduce items such as shovels or hammers. unless the shovel has a specific and relevant application to your goals, its likely not necessary
>>
>>696290
Can't people just make their own handles at site and change it,If they are in a forest with thin enough trees. Then they can choose the length of it. or is it the blade size that matters to people in this thread?
>>
>>695957
I know someone who had a CS shovel and was using it as a shovel and chipper the blade real bad because he was using it to dig through rocky dirt. Not bashing the product or saying it's shit but just a fair warning.
>>
>>696709
>chipper the blade real bad
any spade that is not a soft piece of crap metal can do that
>>
>>696637
Do you make your own clothes when you go camping? Seems like you should given that there are animals available for skins.
>>
>>696305
Y-you too
>>
>>696746
do you always make poor comparisons when trying to make a point? seems like healthy cognitive function would stop that
>>
File: coldsteel.jpg (201 KB, 780x770) Image search: [Google]
coldsteel.jpg
201 KB, 780x770
>>
File: shitter chair.jpg (69 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
shitter chair.jpg
69 KB, 500x375
>>696499
>but ive never needed a shovel for anything (I fish, hike, backpack, car camp).

Where do you shit?
>>
>>697034
A shovel and a bucket are required to camp in many national forests btw
>>
>>696324

It's much lighter than a folding shovel.
>>
>>697015
>my dad
>>
Anybody know where to buy this? Amazon's price has been going up.
>>
>>699769
Walmart is listing it for $20.
>>
>>696510
Actually you take a snow shove for that. Still don't see a reason to bring an entrenching tool for camping.
>>
>>697034
>>697038
A simple trowel did the job quite well so far, even for the big shits.
>>
my cold steel spade is awesome

abused and used it

smashed many a gar in the face with it when i go fishing and cook em right up mmmmmmm
>>
>>695552
Trail boss is surprisingly good for the price. Ground off the paint and put a patina on the head and it does the job well.
>>
>>699899
The trail boss is under represented as a beginner axe, the GBs are nicer but they aren't going to perform $100 better, especially for noobs and people that will only use an axe a few times a year
>>
>>699909
what i love about tomahawks is that i can legally carry them in the trunk of my car.
axes would be confiscated by the police but a fucking tomahawk made purposefully to kill people would not be.
trick is to take handle out then it's legal to carry. you can't do that easily with most wedged axes and certainly won't put them back together with a single move.

laws can be stupid as shit.
>>
How are their machetes?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.