[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bear Issues! So in Ontario were at a record high for number
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: bear attack.jpg (45 KB, 530x300) Image search: [Google]
bear attack.jpg
45 KB, 530x300
Bear Issues!
So in Ontario were at a record high for number of bears, mostly because of people getting the bear hunt cancelled. My main issue is there becoming bold and there all over the place, defence is needed. How would you guys go about protecting your self from bears? I know there will be a lot of 'oh there big pussies and will run off with a little noise.....'. This isn't always true, there's been a number of attacks in Ontario and deaths all over North America. In my area were not allowed to shoot them but 30mins North you are its fucked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America
>>
>Bears are just baby bigfoots.

Bears aren't real.
>>
>>694899
No bear bacon for Ottawa, fatty fatty sweet bear bacon.
>>
>>694928
what?
>>
I hear in Russia they simply ride them. Have you tried this annon?
>>
File: 45-70-feature.png (278 KB, 1200x333) Image search: [Google]
45-70-feature.png
278 KB, 1200x333
Ontario here.....45-70 or a 12 gauge loaded with slugs is what you're looking for anon.

At least carry bear spray
>>
>>695026
>>694899

ah missed the "not allowed to shoot them" part. Mind elaborating? Never heard of that in Ontario unless you're in southern Ontario where there wouldn't be bears in the first place
>>
>>695029
Uxbridge man, a little north its fine
>>
File: Drinking Too Much Milk.webm (3 MB, 282x176) Image search: [Google]
Drinking Too Much Milk.webm
3 MB, 282x176
>>695029
A
>Cary a gun, if a bear attacks, spray it with bear begone, shoot it.
>Get fined, spend a few months in jail.
>LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT

B
>Don't' carry a gun, if bear attacks, spray it with bear begone, bear eats you.
>Mother cries at your funeral.
>>
>>695029
Um. Bears live wherever the hell bears want to. I live in a city and there are plenty of bears around.
>>
>>695029

Who'll catch you?

Shoot and shut up
>>
>>695058
I could do that but idk if one of my neighbours would be cool with that '1 acre away'
>>
>>694899
>>695029

http://ofa.on.ca/issues/fact-sheet/Nuisance-Wildlife-What-can-farmers-do-

there may not be a "bear season" anymore but property owners are still allowed to put down nuisance animals, including bears, any time of the year. in the case of bears you do need to notify MNR and say they were fucking with your chicken feed or whatever
>>
I think there are a few studies showing bear spray generally leads to better outcomes in an attack. I'm nowhere near grizzly country but having used regular pepper spray on dogs a few times I'm sure having a firearm as a backup would be a good move.
>>
Carry a bowie knife with you ALWAYS, and stay in shape so you can run like hell.

To this day people fight off bears with knives.

Humans have no claws and our teeth aren't good at defending against animals... So get a good knife.
>>
>>694899
>there
they're as in they are. there/here is locations

Hell of an education system you have there in Ontario. I live in Alberta. We have both black and grizzly and I encounter both on a regular basis. Neither is particularly aggressive most of the time. They can be when:

-they are hungry (spring and especially fall)
-when there are cubs nearby
-when you spook them
-you start acting like prey or are aggressive to them

best ways to avoid trouble:
-bear bell to avoid startling them
-don't approach one
-if you see babies just leave in the opposite direction altogether
-carry bear spray in case one does charge
-if chased run downhill and don't climb a tree
-if it approaches close to you just casually walk away calmly
-if it tries to attack you should yell and try to deter it with whatever you have around but if it starts mauling you really should just cover your head and ball up. If it doesn't just attack and run off in short order I'd suggest fighting back.

black and grizzly are about equally probable to attack people. Even though grizzlies are much much larger.
>>
>>695045
its called a shotgun
>>
>>695652
This is terrible advice
>>
File: IMG_20160117_113555.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160117_113555.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>695652
> acting like prey

I AM PREY.
>>
>>694899
If you can't discharge firearms then just carry bear spray. I have a short Norinco shotgun for bears but I've never had to use it.
>>
>>694899
> literally 17 fatal bear attacks in wild the last 16 years
>only 6 are black bears
>none in Ontario
you'll manage somehow friend :^)
>>
>>695730
2015 we had a bunch of black bear attacks
>>
File: 1435121825369.gif (3 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1435121825369.gif
3 MB, 400x400
Carry a 10mm and end the bear problem.
>>
>>695730

>fatal

Your point probably still stands but honestly, when it comes to bear attacks, who the fuck is ok with them as long as they're not fatal?

Total # of attacks is the only thing anyone cares about.
>>
>>695764
>>695741
Most black bear attacks are bears that are scavenging garbage, fed by people, wounded, sick, or otherwise unwell. approximately 5-10% of attacks lead to serious injury
Assuming the statistics for The Great Smokey Mountains National Park holds true for Ontario (I'm sure it doesn't but it is the only one I could easily find stats for regarding Black Bear attacks including those without injury) out of 1028 incidences of aggression towards people there were 107 injuries over a 12 year span. Granted this was in a National Forest not a town 50km out of Toronto so who knows how well that translates. I would be willing to bet he'll be absolutely fine though.

In short: oh there big pussies and will run off with a little noise.....
Also I recommend reading something like http://www.bearsmart.com/about-bears/dispelling-myths/ if you are new to bear behavior.
>>
Just have a high powered rifle in the car. It will not only give you the idea of feeling safe but it will actually keep you safe. Always have a knife in the bush.

>>695026
>45-70 meme rifle
Any high powered rifle that can deliver over 3000 joules of energy at the muzzle will do fine. A 45-70 has comparable energy to a 30-06.
>>
>>695691
no you are not.
you are a fucking human you eat everything that moves.
you can kill animals a thousand times your body-weight even without firearms.
grow some balls!
>>
>>694899
dat pic it's just so wrong.
man running from a bear not weighing much more than he is.
i can only hope it's his pet bear and they are just playing.
>>
>>695652

>bear bells
Why the fuck
>>
>>695668
Idk what the fuck this retard is talking about but everything>>695652 said is spot on , especially concerning Grizzlies, I would not fight back they are huge and you will die, Blackbeard however are not as big and you may be able to win with a weapon vs one
>>
>>696440
If you think run downhill is good advice your fucked in the head
>>
>>695749
>10mm
For what? Suicide?
>>
>>696109
It's supposed to let them know you are there,
but in Alaska we know bear poop smells like pepper and sounds like bells.
>>
>>696518
yea it's a common myth that was thoroughly busted i think.
you can yourself probably run faster downhill than up tho if you can avoid falling on your face.
>>
>>696523

I don't know about grizzlies, but I can say that black bears tend to be skittish when they hear you coming. There are exceptions, but for the most part, you can scare them off. I've heard lots of stories from northern Michigan (which, I may remind you, is just across Lake Huron from Ontario, and therefore is much, much more similar to OP's situation) of all sorts of things spooking bears and making them run.
>>
>>696963
even if they are not scared of your sounds they will be scared if you carry a big stick.
>>
>>695332
>a few times
Is this bait carried over from the other thread or are you just the worst animal control agent ever?
>>
>>696982
You must be from Canada where pepper spray is illegal
>>
>>696518
Debatable, you shouldn't really run either way but I think he means if you are running its better to do it downhill
>>
>>695607
>Stay in shape so you can run like hell

Bears can actually run at 50km/h, Usain Bolt can run at 44km/h
No matter how fit you are, don't try to run.
>>
>>697115
How fast can the fastest human run?
>>
>>697054
>pepper spray is illegal
Bear spray isn't
>>
>>696963
Making noise is very helpful. Bells just don't seem to get their attention very well. Breaking branches, talking, and the occasional "hey bear" are great.
>>
>>697209
Usain Bolt is the fastest human, he can run at 44km/h for like 10 meters.
Average human can run at 25km/h for a very short period of time.
If you're fit, you can expect to run at 20km/h for a few minutes.

Bears can run at 50km/h (sometimes more) and for a pretty long period of time. So, don't try to run.
>>
>>697585
He's not human you brainwashed faggot
>>
>>697605
>No matter how fit you are, don't try to run.
you don't have to outrun a bear you just have to outrun your fellow hikers
>>
>>694899
I reckon a half dozen flash bang grenades would do you good.
>>
>>698670
>making bears eat flashbang grenades
what are you russian?
>>
Northern Ontario fag here, we stock firecrackers and fireworks so if we see one prowling around we pop a few off. If that doesn't work, you have to shoot them, no exceptions.
>>
>>697115
This. You will NEVER outrun a bear
>>
>>699702
that's not exactly true, if you start running and spraying pepper behind you sooner or later you will lose that bear.
>>
>>694899

we're not were
they're not there

If you intend to share your opinion in written form (online) it helps to be able to hold the minimum standards of communication.
>>
>>699702
>Never outrun a bear
I can

I take in about 3500 calories a day with a very particular macronutrient ratio so I know I could do that

I bring a big wheely cooler with me to bring steaks and eggs n shit cause im pretty strong

also what are some /out/ approved workout routines I need to maintain my gains while on the trail and I cant go losing muscle mass do you think I could chop down a smallish tree and use it as a barbell for weighted movements
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.