[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Begginer /out/ loadout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 23
File: main_cropped.jpg (190 KB, 936x1100) Image search: [Google]
main_cropped.jpg
190 KB, 936x1100
Can you help me with completing my first loadout? I am a total beginner to /out/ activities. My first trips are going to be two days (one night spent in the forest) for now, in summer, central Europe.

Pic related is what I have so far. I am not terribly tight on the budget but still I don't want to spend much since I believe army surplus stuff is high quality for good price.

I probably went full retard at some point, bear with me please.
>>
OP here, there is actually a thread on this backpack here >>692716

Even though they don't say it's very good, I still might give it a shot since my trips won't be hardcore for starters and I don't need perfect quality.
>>
sleeping bag
more food
maybe a stove for cooking, it depends on if it's legal to start fires during the summer in your area
clothes of course, that keep you warm and dry
some extra clothes in case you get wet
waterproof your items or have raincover for the backpack at least
sun cream and bug spray, but net
map and compass
a lighter or something else to ignite stuff with
>>
>>694326
I totally forgot about the sleeping bag.
It's a 10-20 degrees C mummy type, I already have it. I am not sure about its size though, it seems pretty big.
>>
>>694334
>but net
I meant bug net, although a butt net is probably nice as well
Speaking of butts I forgot to mention toilet paper
>>
>>694326
Ditch the shovel, except you plan on digging trenches and foxholes. ditch the machete, you won't need it anyways, besides, it is trash. bring some carbs to eat.
In general, forgett about this survial shit, just try to do some normal camping. Also Molle packs are shit.
>>
File: main_cropped.jpg (239 KB, 886x1210) Image search: [Google]
main_cropped.jpg
239 KB, 886x1210
>>694334
Thank you. They say the backpack is made of waterprrof nylon, is this enough? Also, the fires can be started at least 100m away from the treeline so I will probably need a stove. What kind of stove would you recommend? I kinda know how to use the gas ones, my father would use one when we went camping when I was young. I heard there are also alcohol ones though.

I am also wondering if having a cloth to filter water before boiling it in the messtin is enough to have the water needs covered (of course assuming I can find a river or some other water source). I am going to have the mineral water anyway but I would like to get less reliant on it over time. So, is physically filtering river water through cloth and then boiling it enough to make it safe to drink?

The pic is also my checklist so I'm keeping it updated.
>>
>>694347
I wanted to bring the shovel to be able to build a fire in various conditions and to prepare the place for the tent, but as I checked the law here and saw I will need a stove anyway I might as well not take the shovel.

As for the backpack, can you recommend something else in this price range? I am going to look for gear in some military surplus stores so maybe I will find a better pack.
>>
>>694326
I think>>694334 hit most of it head-on. You're not going to be camping in the states so you don't need a gun. The one glaring thing I don't see on both of your lists are THREE ways to make fire. Whenever you go into the wilderness, be it a forest, a desert, or a tropical island, you should always have more than one way to build a fire.

He also had a good point about the stove. Make sure you know whether or not open fires ( or fires in general ) are legal to build. Some places require you to contain your fire in which case you may want to look at some portable stoves or fireplaces like the EmberLit. You seem to have expressed a desire to stay low budget so I'll recommend http://www.silverfire.us/ultimate-scout-kit-includes-stove-pot-fire-starter ( $92 American and comes with MSR pot, fork, spoon, and firestarter ( fuel is free, just use dead twigs, branches, etc. ) to you. You ideally want to place the stove on an area with few debris, lots of dirt, etc. as the stove can scorch the ground under it.
>>
Head torch over regular torch for camping.

Compass is pretty high on the list of essentials.

Maybe a shank of cordage?

Couple of disposable lighters and a tin to keep tinder in.

Heavy grade bin bags are useful too, both as a pack liner and also for collecting trash.

A pair of work gloves is also very useful.
>>
>>694353
I was thinking about building a fire in a small hole in the ground to contain it (can't find a picture showing what I mean, kind of a way to shelter it from wind I think), hence the shovel. But it would still be considered an open fire I guess, so I need some kind of stove anyway. The thing you linked looks neat, I'll try to find something like this in stores in my country. Is it efficient enough to boil water though when using only dead branches and shrubbery as fuel?
>>
>>694353
Oh, my bad. I forgot you were in Europe and I don't think Silverfires are sold there yet. A similar stove ( a little more expensive ) that is shipped worldwide can be found at http://www.solostove.com/ if you care to look. If you are going by yourself just buy the Lite stove, buy the Titan if you ever plan on going with 2 or more people. I'd never buy their larger stove because I think it is a rip-off. If you lack a good pot to cook in and/or boil water ( a metalic water bottle should be good enough to boil water ) you may want to consider buying a pot with your purchase. For the Lite stove get the 900ML pot and the 1800ML pot for the Titan; it is worth mentioning that the mentioned stoves will nest inside the mentioned pots to make extra space in your pack. Fuel works the same way; use debris found on the trail and build your fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUrDRo3ins
>>
>>694361
Building a fire in the hole is good but that alone is not a good container. Try to pile rocks around your fire as they do a much better job reflecting heat. It isn't too hard to do. The guy in this video does it and the fellow has a lot of nice information on just preparedness and survival that might be useful when you go camping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dUD60G4pSY
>>
>>694361

Investigate building your own alcohol stove. Very cheap solution, and the alcohol fuel is cheaper than camping gas.

Why do you want to build holes for fires?
>>
>>694326

Ditch the machete, get a headlamp instead of that flash light, get some rope, first aid kit, a compass, and some kind of fire starter. I'm going to assume you have a sleeping bag.
>>
>>694371
I don't know, it just seemed like a pretty easy solution of making the fireplace safe. But I think I'll stick to other Anon's solution involving the solostove or something like this, if I can get it for less than $25 (currently eyeing a brand new solo stove for 20 bucks).
>>
>>694363
>solostove
Amazon critiques say that it the ashpan is loose pretty fast.
>>
>>694373
Why would I need rope? Is paracord enough for what I could possibly need a rope for? Going to add the things you mentioned to my list.

Also do you guys think that a 30L backpack is enough to contain all these items? My sleeping bag alone is a cylinder of about 40cm height and about 20cm diameter.
>>
>>694382
You'll have to strap your sleeping bag and mat on the backpack obviously. That way 30L is more than enough for 2 days.
>>
>>694375

Actually in some circumstances it's more dangerous. You can easily start a peat fire if you're not careful.

Do one or a combo of the following:
- Use rocks, tho the classic ringed fire is a meme, if you leave the front open it'll be easier to tend the fire
- Brush the loose leaf litter away around the circumference of the fire
- Build only a small easily controlled fire
- Make the fire in safe places, such as on a beach and on rock.

>>694382
30l is small. That's about the size of a school backpack. I use 60l in the summer, 85l in the winter but bear in mind some of my gear is pretty bulky (two ccf pads) and I prefer to have all my stuff INSIDE my bag rather than dangling on the outside like some hobo
>>
File: main_cropped_01.jpg (253 KB, 879x1304) Image search: [Google]
main_cropped_01.jpg
253 KB, 879x1304
>>694385
Right, I didn't think about it earlier.

Pic: my updated list.
>>
>>694375
>>694371
Actually using an alcohol stove would be cheaper short-term. I just pitched the silverfire, EmberLit and solostoves because I like the ease/no-cost of biomass.All three stoves are great stoves, the Silverfire and Solostove doing better for containment which is why I put less emphasis on EmberLit. I would by no means dismiss an alcohol stove though and if you want to build or buy your own alcohol stove I wish you luck!

>>694381
If that is a problem anon will be able to send it back; the stoves have a lifetime guarantee. I've not used a solostove myself ( I believe the silverfire is better made for a lower price and better value ) and only suggested it because their stoves are shipped worldwide and I don't believe he could get a silverfire in europe. ( yet. )

I do know the Emberlit is buyable in Europe but I have no clue where which is why I didn't push that harder. It is prob the cheapest option of the three stoves, though; and has the best reputation of the three too. Also packs down to be smaller than the others.
>>
>>694375
Be careful buying knock-offs at lower prices. A lot of the knock-offs are just trash-tier products that will only last two or three trips before breaking or are similar stoves to the originals with parts missing. Silverfire had a lot of people knocking-off their product leaving out the ashpan which caused the entire area under the stove to be charred black.
>>
>>694348
THAT SAUSAGE WAS SO LEFT FIELD LOL
>>
>>694326
OP's updated picture/checklist is killing me. I LUV ya OP!
>>
>>694410
I doubt it's a knock off, its price is so low because it's been on an exposition in a store, but otherwise it's fully functional. I will still try to find something else and consider using an alcohol stove. To be honest though, even though carrying some alcohol wouldn't be an inconvenience, I REALLY like the idea of using natural fuel, idk why.
>>
>>694420
Why, thank you Anon, what about it though?
>>
>>694421
You and me both, man. I believe using natural fuel around you is always best when you can do it.
>>
>>694422
I like lists, you have a list with pictures so I like it even more.
>>
>>694326
miltec: no
gerber: no
aluminium: no

---

used backpack from ebay: yes
folding saw : yes
500ml stainless steel handel mug: yes
>>
File: fibrouscasingwithnet_460.jpg (25 KB, 460x294) Image search: [Google]
fibrouscasingwithnet_460.jpg
25 KB, 460x294
>>694338
>butt net
sweet. this reminds to a girl who went innawoods with me. I meet her via online dating. I didnt know her until this day.

I pitched up the hammock. It is light hammock, made of an net. I sat down with her and after my a while my hand goes down to her ass. She was super sensible because of the netting. parts off her ass came through (like sausage) .. after a few seconds her face went to "wtf"

<-- this was what the netting did with her ass
>>
What about his tent? That cheap no brand tent will be good for him? Im asking this cuz i got a walmart tier cheap tent and instead on 2 days, im gonna do 2 week hiking on spring.
>>
>>694589
my personal opinion?
1 night, don't spend $ on any tent, beg, borrow, or steal, tarp or hammock. Simply not worthy of $ if you may never camp again.

You for 2 weeks...
I assume you know your tent, is it light enough for you?
Have you slept in it in the rain? If not, set it up in the backyard next storm, does it leak?
How long does it take to dry?
Are you hiking with it when it may be wet? How much more does it weigh wet?
Shit tier works fine if it doesn't leak or turn into a sponge.
>>
>>694589

Cheap tents are adequate for short, mild use. Don't take it up any alpine plateaus with high gusting winds and you'll probably be fine.

I have camped in 20£ tent for 10 days in the desert, through several thunderstorms. The poles were shit and weren't rigid against the wind, and generally the quality was poor (esp. ground sheet join) but I survived.
>>
>>694326
requesting tent
>>
File: lycian.png (44 KB, 483x444) Image search: [Google]
lycian.png
44 KB, 483x444
>>694600
>>694610
Well im gonna hike near Mediterranean, on Turkey, I used my tent before, on summer and i feeled like chicken on oven at sunrise, never been on rain desu.

Pic related, gonna do Lycian way, on spring also im begginer like OP.
>>
File: bitcoin maden.jpg (153 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bitcoin maden.jpg
153 KB, 640x480
>>694631
carry a good noive

t.your turkish friend
>>
>>694636
Th-thanks toruchan.
>>
File: 1455568329745.jpg (17 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1455568329745.jpg
17 KB, 360x360
>>694649
yer welcome.
>>
>>694347
>Also MOLLE packs are shit.
Top kek m8, g8 b8.
>>
>>694658
Those generic Chinese molle packs like what op pictured are pretty shitty though
>>
>>694672
While I can agree, to generalize is to be stupid.
>>
Not OP here, but I'm also looking for beginner advice. My brother (slightly experienced with /out/ shit) and his gf want my gf and I to go on a 3 day trip in the Grand Teatons this summer. Is it ridiculous for me to want to carry a gun? The problem is, I'm only 20 so I can't carry a handgun. Which means my only choice is a rifle. How much will it fuck me up to hike with a shotgun? Will I be miserable the whole time?
>>
>>694709
Tetons** sry. Could've sworn I saw it spelled differently before
>>
>>694709
>>694712
I wouldn't, not only is it heavy as balls to carry a shotty for 3 days; but banging two sticks together is just as effective.
And unless you plan on eating whatever animal you think is going to threaten you, it's not worth the trouble of killing it.
>>
>>694716
I don't plan on doing any hunting. It would just be in case of bears. Or spooky skinwalkers, of course
>>
>>694719
>implying a gun can stop a Skinwalker.
Good luck my friend.
>>
>>694709
Check with your States open carry laws, most states that alow open carry alow anyone who can legally possess a handgun to carry. In most states people over 18 can possess handguns but not buy them.
>>
>>694740
I live in shitty Illinois. Therefore I'd have to abide by shitty Illinois gun laws, right?
>>
>>694764
Assuming you're going to Wyoming, anyone can open carry at any age and residents can conceal without permit. You'd be fine if you open carried, don't worry about home state laws.
>>
>>694709

If you're reasonably fit; Keep your pack under 12kg; You might miss having a walking stick but as long as you pick a gun that's not too heavy no worries, right!

What were you thinking of bringing?
>>
Don't get a tent just get a poncho/Basha and some bungee's
>>
>>694326
I see a sausage but no bread. Nobody eats sausage alone. Also eating sausage makes you thirsty and drinking water while eating it is not a solution, it will make it worse.
>>
>>694781
>12kg
How much is that in American?
>>
>>694636
Kebab removed
>>
File: chilean_patagonia.jpg (711 KB, 2048x1153) Image search: [Google]
chilean_patagonia.jpg
711 KB, 2048x1153
>>694709
Firearms are prohibited in grand teton national park, and all other national parks, without a special permit due to their use in poaching.

The only way you are allowed to use a gun there is in the elk refugee during elk culling season, and the permits are in short supply.

There is also nowhere to shoot safely except during the culling season so no, you shouldnt bring a gun.
>>
File: denali.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1088) Image search: [Google]
denali.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1088
>>694830
wrong photo sorry

meant to post denali
>>
>>694795
26 freedom-weights
>>
File: jansport4.jpg (480 KB, 1000x1070) Image search: [Google]
jansport4.jpg
480 KB, 1000x1070
>>694326
All you need right here fella

>Chill with bee bros and eat their honey
>Fight animals in the woods with Survia-Rock®
>Eat extremely calorie dense food that also prevents chapped lips
>Jansport ® bag, it works, fairly fashionable, bartering material mostly
>>
File: piss.jpg (55 KB, 640x599) Image search: [Google]
piss.jpg
55 KB, 640x599
- Kelty Red Wing 50 backpack
- Mora Companion knife, carbon steel version
- Fiskars X7 hatchet or Husqvarna 13-inch hatchet (about $20 more)
- Fiskars trowel
- Firesteel, Bic and (storm) matches
- Eureka! Solitaire solo tent or, for a little bit more, a cheap rent from REI
- Kelty Cosmic Down 20 sleeping bag
- Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOLite sleeping pad
- Three liters of water in 1-liter Lifewater bottles (cheap, light and compatible with Sawyer water filters, if you want to go that route at some point)
- 30 ft of 550 paracord
- Petzl Tikka headlamp
- Suunto or Silva compass
- Map
- Duct tape around the Lifewater bottles
- 775ml MSR Seagull pot or a Snow Peak Kettle No. 1 for boiling water. Heavy but inexpensive and bombproof.
- MSR Pocket Rocket stove
- REI Multiday first-aid kit
- Toilet paper
- Bug spray
- Mechanix gloves
- Mountain House freeze dried meals

I'm sure I forgot something.
>>
File: 141127osbornepmqs.gif (2 MB, 287x257) Image search: [Google]
141127osbornepmqs.gif
2 MB, 287x257
>>694470
what did i just read

seriously people on 4chan are the most unique, shall we say
>>
>>694781
Was thinking about bringing my Mossberg 590, but another anon said firearms are illegal in Grand Teton, so I may not do so. I'm going to look into it more closely. I could've sworn I read online that it's legal to open carry in Grand Teton national park
>>
>>694830
Are you sure? I swear I read that it's legal to open carry rifles and handguns in Grand Teton national park.
>>
>>694781
>>694983

Shit sorry for the double post. My browsing app just shit itself and I didn't think my replies were posting.
>>
>>694983
Oh, well apparently a recent federal law has changed that now supercedes the firearms restriction. It is still however, illegal to discharge firearms in national parks except in protection of your own life. You cant go sport shooting :(
>>
File: 60eff4.jpg (35 KB, 500x567) Image search: [Google]
60eff4.jpg
35 KB, 500x567
>>694363
>>694361

look for a swiss army volcano stove. it is a fire container, water bottle and cup all in one package. small, and light. i paid ~35USD for it

pic related is it in 3 parts, and it packed up for travel.

also, you can use a trangia or other alcohol stove in it if you can't find dry sticks or whatever
>>
>>694795

Is it really that hard go remember to convert you multiply by 2.2
>>
>>695111
You can find one in varusteleka.com
Cheap(ish) Shipping in Europe
>>
>>694795
>>695141
protip for people that need to figure out stuff like this: just write "12 kg to lbs" in google, google has calculator and unit converter in its search engine so you can find out these things on your own in a matter of seconds.
>>
>>695111
what about the ikea hobo stove
>>
File: 1447457893498.jpg (60 KB, 537x720) Image search: [Google]
1447457893498.jpg
60 KB, 537x720
>>694813
He was actually a communist pkk terrorist who was shot dead on sight, he was plating landmine on a service road.
>>
>>695162

Yeah or you could just remember it's a factor of 2.2 and get a rough figure in a split second by using your brain.

It's the same as people who can't convert inches to centimetres or gallons to litres. It's not that fucking hard.
>>
>>694636
>t*rkroaches
>>
Another /out/ noob here, i got a new backpack, which is 75l, problem is i load it and tryed to carry around for few hour, after like 10 mins my neck and shoulders get in pain. I watched tons of videos about sizing and adjusted to my back like they said.

Another thing to add is, i've been neet for long time and my posture not very good, so its happening cuz of this? Should i start working out on my backs? Or its about backpack? Im not overweight, 185cm and 70 kg.
>>
>>695178
It's of course good to learn that, but I am just reccommending google in general because you can use it for much more than calculating kilos to pounds. (you can convert things like currency and other things) We can't remember all the things all the time. It's honestly just a good feature that people are apparently not taking advantage of and it's gonna help people if they actually use it instead of being offended when I say "just google it".
>>
>>695163

looks cool but the nearest IKEA to me is a clusterfuck to get to. 3 hours of traffic congested toll roads and bullshit. i just ordered the swiss stove online and got it delivered in a week
>>
>>694330
I'm that thread's OP, actually bought it since it was nice and cheap and reasonably rugged. Don't understand all the MOLLE hate, I get that sometimes it's shit but on most stuff it's really useful for lashing things too and adding extra pouches. Go for it OP, but ditch the machete and think about getting a better torch.
>>
>>695141
>>695162
Thank you. I thought 2.2 was miles to kilometers.

I thought you needed to use a metric browser and I didn't know any since Google is American and I didn't know any UK or Canadian browsers. I'll remember this. Thank you.
>>
>>695178
So always 2.2 for American to metrics, thank you too. I'll remember this now.
>>
>>695560
na thats 5/8 (0.6) to convert from km to mi, or 8/5 (1.6) to convert mi to km

Also the jokes good, as only Americans really use it these days but it is called Imperial measurements, and funnily enough because its actually British. And here in britbongland a LOT of people still use it in casual use, hence why its useful to know 1'' = 2.5(4)cm etc
>>
In the vein of beginner backpacking, is the army surplus bivy + sleeping bags a good starter bivy kit?
>>
>>694326
this is pretty okay as it is for a night over
>>
>>696165
>good starter bivy kit

Any of them are good starters as you eventually give them up for something useful
>>
File: 1456154307085.jpg (261 KB, 886x1210) Image search: [Google]
1456154307085.jpg
261 KB, 886x1210
>>694393
my setup is similar
>>
>>696567
2/10 not enough sassage
>>
>>694326
Kayak sacks / dry bags are always worth while. Rain can really fuck your trip up. Sandwich bags for the same reason. The bag may be water resistant but not water tight.
Emergency kit for example a spare bivvy bag, a survival bag/shelter, mylar blanket, basic first aid kit, throw line/rope, ethanol, tweezers, whistle, high power torch.
Sturdy boots, gaters and water proofs plus spares
>>
UKfag here, looking on Amazon I can only find 20L assault packs or 36L.

Also, anyone know if the Mil-Tec backpacks are decent quality? I'm always hesitant to buy these cheaip faux-mil items because they're normally dogshit.
>>
>>696633
I prefer compartmentalized waterproofing with quart, gallon, and 2 gallon ziploc FREEZER bags. You can semi vacuum seal them (clothes) by crushing with your knees and then sealing. They will hold all week. This way you're not putting all your eggs in one basket. Dry sacks are good, but if you get a leak then ALL your stuff has potential to get wet. My spare clothes usually don't even get opened and stay dry until I need them. I also use a waterproof pack cover that just fits over and leaves my shoulder straps and belt exposed. They're like ten bucks I believe.
>>
>>695560
>>695563
It's 2.2 lbs per kilogram. It's 1 kilogram per litre of water. Or: 11lb for every 5 litres of water.
>>
>>696570
This, needs more sausage and MORA
>>
>>694833
26.2 actually
>>
>>696670
I have 3 mil tec backpacks, 2 of the smaller assaults and 1 of the bigger one. If you seriously overpack and then try to ram the zipper closed it will break. The smaller one is not very ergonomical, 2 of my friends carried them and reported neckpains. The bigger one was on my back and I was very ok. Doesnt breath tho, you get a swetty back. Mind us we packed a lot of stuff on our backpacks. I had 2 sleeping bags and a tent lashed on mine..

>>694393

I really really really recommend a good sleeping mat, the inflatable ones makes for a TON of comfort. The foam pad is pure hell. It really makes a difference on your wellbeing :P

Trashbags instead of those heavy "drybags" are better yeah. I always carry those small trashbags as well..
>>
>>694326
Phone (pre-paid or otherwise), a cable, and a battery bank, all within a waterproof container (preferably with some padding, although you can wrap it in your clothes).

Speaking of which, wondering what the law is in regards to travelling from the UK to the mainland with a backpack full of camping gear (namely knives, matches, lighter, etc.)

Trying to decide if I want to do some long distance bike riding or hiking in the next couple of years, (did a motorcycle trip to Spain, sleeping in hotels, cycling would be similar but just longer and more frequent (in terms of mileage) stops), whereas with hiking you could alternate between stopping in a cheap hotel or hostel and sleeping rough, letting you wash, etc.
>>
>>696679
Say I was to get a 36L pack, would I be able to strap a tent, sleeping bag and possibly a mat to it? Would I even need all of that (especially in the summer/warmer/drier months)

I have pretty much everything sorted except for sleeping, no idea what is mandatory and what is just for comfort.

Summers are really mild where I live in the UK, I've slept on my roof with my gf before with just a duvet underneath us for padding, nothing on top. No idea if that's comparable to camping.
>>
>>694658

I have more MOLLE packs than I can count from my time in the Military. I still use a Kelty.

I hate tacticool bros.
>>
>>696681
I do just that with my wife, she has 2 inflatable sleeping mats, I have the sleeping bags and a tent. Tent is underneath the backpack and bags on the sides. What the mil-tec one is missing is something to strap stuff on top the backpack..

I live close to russia(Finland) so the backpacks are my B.O.B:s one for myself and one for my wife in case of the groving likelihood of an invade.

I also own the third one for my own hobbies. With that I'm experimenting with a hammock setup.. not ready yet.

! ! ! Buy a cheststrap ! ! ! This backpack NEEDS it. If you are going to load it up for 2-3 days the weight starts to pile up pretty quickly.
>>
File: 20160225_114804.jpg (70 KB, 1228x921) Image search: [Google]
20160225_114804.jpg
70 KB, 1228x921
>>696694
Cheers. Just need to decide on what colour to get, none of the camos seem really applicable to my area (England). Arid woodland is probably the closest, but it looks like the Brit MTP which was designed for Afghanistan. Flecktarn is listed but I don't want to look like an airsofter.

Gotta colour coordinate, will probably just get either the MTP one or maybe even coyote tan, the olive is probably the most suitable but the colour disgusts me.
>>
File: 20160225_084214~2.jpg (4 MB, 2927x4425) Image search: [Google]
20160225_084214~2.jpg
4 MB, 2927x4425
Okay this is my first time ever coming to this board, so cut me a little slack if my loadout is a little /k/ or /x/ tier. I'm not going to link the stuff, but you can easily Google it.

Wise Food 5-Day survival backpack with:
32 servings of food where you just add hot water
5 X 4.227 FL. OZ. Water in pouches, stamped US coast guard approved.
A fold up pocket camp stove with 6 fuel tablets.
A stainless steel cup with a handle so it can be used for cooking or to drink out of.
A dynamo squeeze LED flashlight with red filter
A 5-in-1 whistle. It's a waterproof storage tube on a lanyard that's got a signal whistle on the cap, a compass on the bottom, a signal mirror inside the tube, and a tiny ferro rod on the side.
42 piece first aid and hygienev kit, which is just 37 band aids of different sizes, N95 dust mask, tissues/tp, wet naps, and waste bags.
A box of waterproof matches.
A mylar emergency blanket
A rain poncho
And a deck of playing cards.

Not a bad start, but here's what I added to it: US Army wilderness survival manual, small folding pocket knife with 2.5" blade, a full size ferro rod,3 paracord bracelets 120' of 550 paracord in 4 different colors (30' each of dark green, khaki, dark red, and neon orange), a small Ziploc baggy of cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, a shredded jerky container full of char cloth, a small baggy of "instant kindling", a small baggy of wood and bark shavings as real kindling, a "Swiss army credit card" with a small knife, pen, toothpick, file and folding scissors, a packet of suture needles, fishing line, an arm sling, 100 water purification tablets, a lifestraw, a survival knife with 8" blade, a whetstone, and a yoga/camp mat rolled around a fleece blanket in the bedroll part of the backpack (not pictured)

The whole pack comes in at 25lbs and I can survive longer than 5 days on that gear, it's just a headstart while I do the heaviest calorie burning on building a shelter, setting snares, making tools, etc.
>>
>>696702
Also, this entire setup cost me less than $200 and the 5 days of meals are good for 25 years. I have a waterproof folding .22LR too, but that's not in my pack, nor is my 1911 sidearm. Those are definitely more /k/ territory
>>
>>696702
your motivations imply having an axe, and many would agree an axe innawoods is central
>>
>>696681
>Say I was to get a 36L pack, would I be able to strap a tent, sleeping bag and possibly a mat to it? Would I even need all of that (especially in the summer/warmer/drier months)

Maybe, but go for at least a 45L. It's also better to have things in your pack especially your sleeping bag
>>
>>696702
Looks good. But a small tent at 2 pounds is way better than making your own shelter.

Why not go out for five days on a practice run. You will find many of those small items useless I suspect. Report back on your findings
>>
>>696758
fuck tents. if you are unable to sleep on hot coals you should stay indoors. the single justification i can lend toward tents is wind break and mosquitos. neither of which merit the weight
>>
File: ridgerest.jpg (10 KB, 300x260) Image search: [Google]
ridgerest.jpg
10 KB, 300x260
>>696679
>The foam pad is pure hell
Not if it's a ridge rest homie.
>>
>>696767
>carrying extra pounds to avoid using a tent.

solid plan poorfag
>>
>>696702
but does it have a padded hip belt?
>>
File: 1456423649-20160225-190225.jpg (466 KB, 757x1155) Image search: [Google]
1456423649-20160225-190225.jpg
466 KB, 757x1155
>>694326
Excuse me but
whats the point of having a MOLLE bag if you don't have mole pouch to attach ?
Pic is more or less the same shitty bag (Miltec shit) with Tasmanian Tiger pouches (They're awesome, but quite expensive).
This bag is 30L so I use it for 1 or 2 days /out/, but my main bag is 60L and I can just take the pouches out the little bag to put them on the big one.
Little pouch on the left holds my leatherman C33, the big one is obviously my first aid kit.
>>
>>694326
I would suggest switching out the torch for a headlamp. Harder to lose when its wrapped around your head, or hanging from your neck, which is where I keep it when not in use. Also, take some carbs along. The protein and fats from sausage is great and all, but carbs are needed for sustained energy.
>>
>>694355
Just in case you like work gloves:

Great White Dyneema. These last forever.
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/great-white-polyurethane-coated-dyneema-gloves.html?gclid=CNmhtM_Mk8sCFUMlgQodYxAHAw

Maxiflex Ultimate Full Coat. These fit really great. But water will go right through them.
http://www.fullsource.com/maxiflex-gloves/pip-34-876/

Maxidry. These will keep your hands dry. Even when it rains. I have only used the 3/4 coat. Might try full coat next time.
http://www.fullsource.com/maxidry-gloves/pip-56-425/
>>
File: 144674754610.jpg (440 KB, 797x747) Image search: [Google]
144674754610.jpg
440 KB, 797x747
>>696695
buy real kryptek or the cheap chinese copycat version.. (mandra wood). they recently start flooding the market with it.
>>
>>696758
I've done 5-7 days with a similar loadout and a lot of the stuff was nice to have, but I did find myself trying a little too hard to make use of things I didn't really need to justify their place in my pack.

What I realized was that a lot of the stuff I didn't *really* need were long-term items such as would be nice to have in an extended bug out scenario but were really just useless extra weight on a standard innawoods trip. Like having so many fire starting methods; I started using backup methods just because they were there, not because of a primary ignition method failure

I don't carry a tent, though, because of my size. I'm over six and a half feet tall so to be comfortable I'd have to carry about 30lbs of dome tent. I'm able to throw together a lean-to with a bed raised off the ground to save body heat, faster than I can put one of those annoying fuckers together. I'm probably going to buy a nice big sheet of waxed canvas and wrap it around my bedroll so I can just run a line between two points drape it over the line, and pull each end outward and stake them down next time.

>>696722
Silly me. I did forget to mention my Gerber gator 2. It's a nice camp axe with a limb saw tucked in the axe handle.

>>696847
No, it doesn't, but I'd like if it did.
>>
File: 5kQMAht.jpg (200 KB, 620x1190) Image search: [Google]
5kQMAht.jpg
200 KB, 620x1190
Also, just a quick share of a nice find. This is how I pack my shirts, socks and boxers.
>>
Closest thing to a beginner thread I can find, don't want to make my own (you guys really need a QTDDTOT general)

Anyway, I want to get into simple overnight camping, have pretty much everything stowed away (I went through a bushcrafting phase a few years ago when I first left school so a lot of the stuff I already had lying around)

My biggest stumbling block at the moment is deciding on what tent to get. The 'recommended' ones I've been seeing are all several hundred dollars, which is several times the cost of the rest of my gear combined. I just want a simple 1 person tent (preferably that will fit a 50L backpack in) that is durable and cheap.

Doesn't even need to be big, I'm only 5'6" and already sleep near enough in the fetal position so I doubt there's a tent too small for me (unless it's some dora the explorer 6 year old girl one).

Late spring to early autumn season in northern England, perhaps travel a few miles over the border to Scotland so I can camp and not break the law.
>>
>>700719
>Dora the explorer tent.
I really want to see one of the survivalist/bushcrafter youtubers take this on a serious /out/ing.
>>
Any recommendations for cooking pots? I'm looking to buy something on a budget, hopefully for around $30-40. If you don't have a specific brand, what should I be looking for in pots. Is a flat pan better or something that can hold more liquid?
>>
>>700799
depends on what you are cooking. a metal cup can cook anything that isnt gourmet
>>
File: oldout.png (4 MB, 1912x970) Image search: [Google]
oldout.png
4 MB, 1912x970
>>694326
Don't forget the blueberry pie you little faggots.
>>
>>700801
Gourmet like pancakes?

>>700799
Wider tends to boil faster because there's more surface area to catch heat.
>>
>>700834
Dutch Oven cobbler is better t.b.h
>>
>>694363

Looks like a neat little stove, but that video is 99% hipster trash, 1% actually showing the product.

Tip to advertisers: you don't need to sell us on the emotional experience of being /out/, the reason we're looking at your product is because we already want to go /out/, we just want to find out how your product works and whether it is any better than what we already have / want.
>>
>>694406

I like the idea of getting a better flame from less material, but the reservation I have about getting something like this is the bulk. It's a fixed round shape that's going to take up space in my pack. I am going for a minimalist amount of stuff though. Like the OP, I too am new to innawoods and am building my first list of shit to take.
>>
You need a new bag if you want to go out for longer than a day or two. I would suggest something with an internal frame and waist strap, simply because they distribute weight better than what you have now.
>>
>>694980
It's legal to have weapons in National Park and open/conceal carry them in accordance to the laws of the state in which the Park is located.

You cannot take any firearms into any government building in a NP, however.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/management/firearms.htm

"Beginning February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park."
>>
>>696680
I thought border crossings were verboten in EU, you talking about chunnel?
>>
>>703946
>I thought border crossings were verboten in EU, you talking about chunnel?

What do you mean? I thought one of the whole points of the EU was freedom of movement, although I know UK-France there is passport security, once you get onto the mainland, especially in the West, there's no internal border security.

And yes, I was referring to the Channel Tunnel (or a ferry, either way).
>>
>>703998
In case you haven't noticed, things aren't going so swimmingly at the moment. A lot of EU countries have reinstated border controls recently. That said, it isn't like they wont let you across with your passport.
>>
>>696567
Hardcore survival challenge
Use sausages for everything. Pin your tent with sausages. Cut wood with sausages.
>>
>>704393
*Pin your sausages with sausages
>>
>>696973
damn that stuff looks amazing.
>>
File: theshnitzelsgonebad.jpg (68 KB, 700x995) Image search: [Google]
theshnitzelsgonebad.jpg
68 KB, 700x995
>>704429
>He doesn't sleep in a huge sausage bivi.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.