[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
#8- Made In France Edition

Old thread hit the bump limit. Trying not to be like the knoife threads and make two new threads when the old one hits 230 replies.

Anybody know of any good youtube videos on fishing jigs for bass?
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 900x484) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 900x484
>>692708
Old Thread:
>>689292
>>
>>692708
Just gonna lift my leg and mark my spot over here.

Actually made it in and out of West Marine today with nada $ spent.
>>
>>692795
They don't sell fishing stuff, do they? What were you lookin at?
>>
lost another MTB lure today, this time a decent jerk bait. I need to stop fishing low test line. Hit a few pike today, but had one gnarly dude take my jerk bait right off my line.

Threw a few worms into the Saco below the first dam, 2 small American Eel, no big eel yet, a sure sign spring is still pretty far. i'M GETTING REAL ANTSY. Sick of fishing this light tackle. Just want to be back on the beach throwing bucktails.
>>
>>692799
Hell yeah they do, at least here given proximity to ocean. 99% salt gear/tackle.
Didn't go in for anything specific and amazingly showed restraint.
>>
>>692823
I never knew that. I think last time I went to West Marine was in IL and I don't remember them having fishing stuff.

>>692821
That sucks. I've been fairly lucky lately since I kinda know where the snags are at my main lake. And even running 10lb braid I can normally rip through any weeds and occaisionally bend a small hook enough to knock it off a snag.
>>
>>692829
I'm running 4lbs and I have a spool with 3lbs :) using a really small reel, and short 5'10 finesse rod

I wasn't expecting anything big so my drag wasn't that loose.

Off topic: Does anyone have experience with Okuma customer service? or have their email address? Their website is atrocious and I simply want to buy a part for my NS 20 that I lost this morning while cleaning and servicing it.

The small plastic apparatus that sits on the bail spring, and connects to the bail pivot went flying today as I opened the bail to oil and clean the pivot. Completely tore my office apart looking for it, and gave up as it came time to fish. Hopefully I can get ahold of someone there so that I can get a replacement piece. I love the reel and don't want to replace it over a small 1cm piece of plastic.
>>
>>692837
There was this website that I posted in the last thread or the thread before and they carry Abu Garcia parts. Abu Garcia's parts and service page actually links like 3 different retailers that sell parts. One of them may carry Okuma parts if you want to look.
>>
File: 41F3ofDXCJL._SY355_.jpg (10 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
41F3ofDXCJL._SY355_.jpg
10 KB, 355x355
>>692839
I'm checking around last thread, can't seem to find it. Mind posting it here again?
>>
Is it spring yet?
>>
>>692845
The two sites Abu links are eReplacementParts.com or FishingReelParts.com
>>
>>692853
helll yeah thanks man!
>>
>>692853
now to find the stupid schematic or part numbers.

fml.

if anyone finds an Okuma NS 20 schematic post it here. I'm having trouble finding it online.
>>
>>692708

When you use a rod guide as a hook saver, you risk chipping the inside of the guide. Use the things that connect the guide to the rod instead!
>>
>>692878
>>692708
He's right
>>
>>692921
>>692878
I figured somebody would say something but I have been doing it for a couple decades and never had an issue so I think I'll survive. I don't think some of my rods even have a hook keeper.
>>
>>692923
It's because you're a braidfag.
Chip on line guide more damaging to mono
>>
>>692925
ah the wonders of chap stick
>>
>>692705
Literally why? Saltwater fishing is pretty fun.
>>
>>692937
Because I'm from the midwest and don't know what I'm doing for shit when it comes to saltwater. Haven't had any luck the few times I went.

Plus I hated the crowded piers and I like just casting around lures.
>>
File: IMG_20150627_181503258.jpg (5 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150627_181503258.jpg
5 MB, 2432x4320
>>692937
that's what I'm saying. don't get me wrong stalking a river, or kicking it at the lake is fun. But I'm having some serious salt withdrawals.

>>692940
>I like just casting around lures.
this is literally all I do at the beaches and rocky coves.

avoid piers, get some big ol' lures and plugs.

Hell even catching small bait fish can be fun with light bass tackle
>>
>>692821
you hit eels in the spring? ive onever tried in spring
>>
>>692941
>avoid piers

My local pier is productive as fuck.
>>
File: TACKLE1.jpg (2 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
TACKLE1.jpg
2 MB, 4320x2432
posting tackle because I'm yearning for spring.

>>692944
eh, I prefer where people aren't, but a productive spot is a productive spot, and productive spots are worth going to, hell combat fishing can be fun if you make friends, some of my best fishing buddies were guys I got into arguments with over snagging each other!

>>692943
yeah you can hit them year round in the lower part of my local river.
>>
>>692948
lowerf part of river, oh okay, i like to nearby way up river and only have fished for then in the summer
>>
File: jetty.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
jetty.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
ocean to the left, brackish to the right.

jetty goes out about 1.2 miles.
>>
IT'S OVER

JEB! DROPPED OUT

I'm going fishing to celebrate guys.
>>
File: DSCF9625.jpg (667 KB, 4670x3113) Image search: [Google]
DSCF9625.jpg
667 KB, 4670x3113
Went fishing today, didn't think of taking a picture of what I got without myself in it before I threw it back :/

Here's a picture of a crab that died while molting though.
>>
>>692940
pepsifgag im going to get you into saltwater the cheap way
>go online
>daiwabeefstik
>should be under 40 dollars
>buy one, either spinning or casting, 10-12 feet

>if spinning, get daiwa daiwa opus 4500 bri or the opus 5000 bri
>if casting get either a used penn mag 525, a penn squall 15, or a daiwa sealine x20sha
>spool with suffix tritanium 17 pound test, or your favorite 65 pound braid
>put a leader of 50-80 pound test mono on it, i like mine 2-3 rod lengths, some like just a few wraps around the spool, its up to preference
have fun with the capability to catch anything from small sea mullet or spot all the way up to big stripers and drum, even bluefish
>>
>>692984
oh and if you get a casting reel, make sure your line to leader knot is far off to either the right or left edge of the spool, ive seen guys not know this and get a bad cut in their thumb
also dont ride the spool or youll get burned (its happened to every kingrigger i know atleast once, including me), wet it with fresh water before your first cast, then just lightly feather it once in a while as the bait flies. and practice a lot. i reccomned mono just because its cheaper to replace if you get spooled or a lot of line breaks off or you get a bad birdsnest.
>>
File: cetfesh.jpg (29 KB, 658x434) Image search: [Google]
cetfesh.jpg
29 KB, 658x434
>>692984
>>692987
oh and this also makes a killer catfish combo if you fish big lakes from shore a lot
a 12 foot daiwa beefstik and penn 525 mag is what i caught pic related with
>>
>>692984
snag a Penn Battle II combo 5000 or higher, less than $120
>>
>>692990
That's what I would do. Penn Battle II or Fierce. I actually have a big 7' Ugly Stik combo with 40lb braid that I bought for saltwater and I have a decent size President with 30lb I could use for salt. But if I get into it more, I'm going to grab one of those Penns.
>>
>>692990
Eh the 5000 reel is a -little- small and the 6000 is too big if you ask me. And if he fishes live bait on a fish finder rig he'll wish he had that bait runner. Also most productive rig
>2-5 oz pyramid sinker
>Bead
>120-150 pound test swivel
>3-5 inches of #05-#08 single strand wire
>3/0-8/0 circle hook
>Anything from small live fish to crab to cut bait

Go find a rip tide, cast at a sand bar next to it, you'll get drum, stingray, sharks, and have one hell of a time.
Fish a 1/2-1 oz jig near by to get more bait or just pass time
>>
>>692996
I have a 5000 and I'm debating an 8000 or the Penn pursuit (cheaper) with a 9 or 10' rod. It's 139 for the Battle II 8000 combo vs 79 - my sport's authority reward which is about 13 right now for the pursuit. I like the rod with the pursuit combo better even though the Battle reel is nicer.... decisions.........................
>>
>>692997
>5000 reel is a -little- small
I love the 5000
Line Capacity:
15/200

Braid Capacity:
30/300

Ball Bearings:
5+1

Max Drag:
25 Lbs.
>>
>>692996
That 7 foot sounds like it would be good to walk the beaches with

>20 pound flouro
>Hair jig
>Dropper loop a foot up
>Attatch size 2 baitholder hook
>Yellow gulp mullet curl tail thing
>catch flounder and stuff all day
I do a fuck ton of salt fishing (14 consecutive days every August) in the obx and honestly spend more on salt gear every year than fresh.
I wanna buy a cheap vacant lot out there, put a trailer and a mail box in, call it home.
>>
>>693005
I prefer 200/20 but I catch a lot of rays while drum fishing and need the extra line for when they run so I can wrench them off the bottom
>>
>>693010
no rays in NE that I'm aware of
main goal Stripers
2ndary may be Blues
Haven't figured out 3rd goal yet. There's a chitload of others
>>
>>693012
Ne? Nebraska? I think you mean bc2, there are plenty out there, butterfly rays, clear nose skate, southern stingray, cownose Ray, mantaray
>>
>>693012
Nc*
>>
>>693013
New England, North East

Mass, Cape Cod
Can travel RI to Maine for coastal

Google the Big Ditch
>>
>>693016
Ohhhh
Yeah I don't know anything coastal that far north.
>>
>>693022
It's a wonderful place to be.
I have bay 4 miles N of me, Nantucket Sound 3 miles S of me, a stocked trout pond less than 1/2 mile away. 150 kettle ponds within 30 miles, many stocked
and god knows how many miles of coastline

+ I have a boat & a 'yak.
>>
>>692923

Like I said, just use the part that connects the guide to the rod. Ive never had a problem either, but why fuck up an expensive rod if you can help it?

>>692963

Im dying for spring too. Can't wait for stripers, blues, and fluke...and maybe some largemouth too. Id love to catch some trout this year, but long island is kinda limited in freshwater possibilities. Cant argue with being surrounded by the ocean though haha.
>>
>>692996

I have both the battle and fierce. I use the size 3000 fierce for fluke. Spooled with 20# braid. Great reel, just yhe line capcity is a little low for anything else.

The battle I have is 6000 size I use for everything else. Another great reel.

The spinfisher v is a really nice reel though if you wanna spring for it.

An ugly stik would make a good pier rod for sure.
>>
>>692963
When you say brackish do you mean inland salt water? I thought it meant where the fresh meets salt?
>>
>>692948
>white stradic
I hate the new colors on the updated stradic. I wish shimano would make another white reel, like the chronarch.
>>
>>693062
not anon but yeah, brackish is saltwater/tidal rivers
>>
>>693037
>spinfisher v
yeah but almost double the Battle II
>>
>>693071

Worth it though. It offers more protection against the saltwater and its just an absolute workhorse.

It's the best you'll get before you spend $500+ on a fully sealed van staal or zeabass, imo. Theres also the penn clash which has a better, fully brass gearing system. But Its closer to $200.
>>
Any tips on using a baitcaster? Just got a rhino rod for a Abu Garcia reel I had.
>>
>>693150
Use cheap line and set the brakes real high until you know what you are doing. Also don't cast into the wind until you get comfy.

What reel?
>>
>>692708
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhENapfv0X4

video on jig fishing. love this dudes vids and we dont even have bass over here ...
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
What the fuck did I just catch? Not even people at the bait and tackle shop knew what it is.

Saltwater btw
>>
>>693196
I think that's a sculpin. Not entirely sure but its a guess at least.
>>
>>693224
It had little teeth too. I wish I could find out what it is but nobody seems to know.
>>
File: image1.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>693231
What watres are ye fishing, boy??
>>
>>693196
take that picture to a marine biology place, i bet they'll know
>>
anyone have any tips for fishing rivers? litterally the only thing i know to do is look for slow spots like eddies behind large rocks, logs, or anything else that will disrupt current. it always seems like i hardly catch anything in rivers i know hold fish, and what i do catch is tiny.
>>
>>693274
Only thing I can really remember about fishing rivers (been a L O N G time) was your want to present motion, ie let the bet look natural and flow with the current.
Honestly never did a lot of river fishing but that sticks in my otherwise hollow cranium.
>>
>>693274
Cast upstream if you can, and you might want to try to use a lure that you fish on the bottom
>>
>>693306
just be sure not to snag upstream.

it's harder to un snag. if you do get stuck don't just yank. let your line free [free spool] and sometimes the current will dislodge the lure.
>>
>>693306
that helps, ive always been casting perpendicular, never thought to go up stream. and the only thing ive really thought of using is spoons and stuff because i can get it in a spot and out of it right quick. i mostly fish lakes so ive got no idea how to do rivers. especially if theyre fast moving shallow rivers, like walking speed+ and only 5-10 feet deep or so which is near me
>>
>>693151
Abu Garcia black max
>>
File: DSCF9621.jpg (1 MB, 4823x3215) Image search: [Google]
DSCF9621.jpg
1 MB, 4823x3215
>>692984
>beefstick

I was thinking of picking one up, but I might just get another cheap shimano branded wal mart rig since I usually beat the living crap out of my shoreline stuff. I'd order online but shipping out here makes it kinda lame.

Not too sure how much I'd like carrying something longer than what I have, It'd probably constantly hit things when climbing up/down rocks and ledges.
>>
>>693274
related to this, does anyone know what would be biting/how to fish/what to fish/what to fish for in the surf in new jersy? particularly around sandy hook bay and long beach? i just got bored last night and might try to save up a few hundred i could be in that area in about 7 or 8 hours and take a long weekend. show up on friday, fish saterday and sunday, pack and leave monday and go back to work on tuesday. off season for sure, probably in the fall, but you know.
>>
>>693364
trust me its worth it, ive used it to horse in a 5 foot shark on 50 pound test once. all the guys on the peir were amazed by how much bend was in the rod and how much force i was putting on it without breaking it.
the only way i managed to break one of mine is as i was pulling into the garage on my motorcycle one fell over, i ran it over, and broke a few inches off the tip. ill be getting an eye guid for it as soon as i can afford, im content with one of my beefsticks being 9'8'', and once the reel seat came loose on one. cut off the font grip, pull the seat foreward, new epoxy, pull it back, then wrap electrical tape over where the front grip used to be. takes less than 15 minutes not including dry time
>>
>>693374

The pole in my pic is pretty much dead from constantly scraping on rocks etc. when climbing up and down cliffs. Not worth it to try and fix what is probably a $10 rod IMHO. I'll just keep an eye out for a good deal on those rods, and see about making a pvc "case" for it.
>>
>>693381
a pvc case is a good idea, BUT, dont store the rod in it, and keep the case open, because if any moisture gets in there it can rot your handles, corrode thing, and a whole lot more. like put it in the case, get to your spot, take it out, fish, put it back in, go home, take it out of the case, and let it dry, maybe even rinse it out
>>
File: stockingmrsturgy.png (1 MB, 1037x461) Image search: [Google]
stockingmrsturgy.png
1 MB, 1037x461
>>693364
I like where you are going with this. I might pick up a rig like the one you described to play around with.
>>
>>693386

That goes without saying. Pretty much everything other than spam cans will rot like that in Hawai'i.
>>
>>693386

Always, always rinse my stuff after the fact. I also WD-40 the living crap out of it too.
>>
>>693315
Worst case if you do snag it on something you can (sometimes) walk up the bank until you get an angle to get it loose
>>
>>693370
Sandy Hook has stripers when they start migrating north I recall reading recently. It was an article on 10 best striper locations IIRC.

If you find a forum follow it until they start talking about it, I'm guess around 5-6 weeks or so from now given when they'll arrive in Mass waters. Maybe less...
>>
>>693457
maybe ill make it for next year if its a spring thing, i was gonna do it in the fall.
>>
>>693490

Fall is an amazing time here on long island for the striper migration. I would imagine jersey as well.
>>
>>693160

I love flukemaster, really smart guy. Makes excellent tutorials.
>>
>>693490
>>693499
Fall they're going back to the south and they're even fatter
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>693274
I haven't fished any rivers in a long time, but back in the day on the Fox in IL, we used to just toss out walleye rigs with a big weight and like 3 minnows. The ones with the spinner blades and stuff on them. If I was using lures at all, it would just be parallel to shore but there were lots of docks and stuff to play around.

When I do the canals here, I try and find bridges or intersections where canals meet eachother. Other than those little spots I haven't had a ton of luck.

And I have had shit luck everywhere the past week or two. That cooler water was great for largemout for like 2 months, but lately I haven't even been getting those little cichlids. No idea if they are spawning or what. Also mid-afternoon fishing kinda blows but I wanted to get out before I had to do some other shit this afternoon.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>go to bass pro
>see a pool filled with largemouth bass with kids trying to catch them

Takes the fun out of it tbqfh
>>
>>693160
>>693501
goddamn that first bass he caught was a fatty.

thanks for sharing the channel, gonna peruse his stuff.
>>
I need a telescop rod for when I go out and wanna do some fishing etc. Anybody has anything on pic related? Its on offer but I don't wanna do an impulse buy if its a piece of crap.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
For any anons that want to catch crappie these are great
>>
>>693760
just get a 4 piece.

you will thank me later.
>>
>>693767
too much pain in the ass hauling that around when hiking, telescop is prefered because I will walk to get where I wanna fish.
They also have this Savage Gear XLNT Tele Finezze 8'2" ML for about 70% off.
>>
>>693771
>too much pain in the ass hauling that around when hiking

from personal experience, it's not bad if you get a 4 piece 5'10 rod, should cover all your fishing hiking needs, and can go into a nice cylindrical carry tube, which shouldn't be too much of a hassle to attach to your day pack, or sling over your shoulder.
>>
>>693762
Looks pretty big for crappie
>>
File: 20140729_132012_zpsaxczqdob.jpg (36 KB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20140729_132012_zpsaxczqdob.jpg
36 KB, 5312x2988
>>693771
4 piece in a rod case. You'd prob have a case for your telescoping anyway.
>>
File: 20160221_160805.jpg (769 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160221_160805.jpg
769 KB, 2048x1350
Tried fishing today at mogadore reservoir
More pics to come
>>
File: 20160221_161127.jpg (603 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160221_161127.jpg
603 KB, 2048x1350
>>693818
Seagulls were everywhere
>>
File: 20160221_160812.jpg (892 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160221_160812.jpg
892 KB, 2048x1350
>>693821
Here's how I fished it
>>
VA fag going to Emerald Isle NC for some saltwater in late may/early june. Any local anon want to give me some advice on catching some Reds and Flounder? Im taking my kayak to fish the sound if that helps.
>>
File: 20160221_160956.jpg (446 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160221_160956.jpg
446 KB, 2048x1350
>>693823
And look at all the dead shad under the ice
>>
>>693824
For flounder get a bucktail jig about 1/2 oz and a number 2 baitholder hook like pic related, tie on the jig then the hook on a dropper loop about 12 inches up. Put on gulp swimming mullet (I like yellow) and fish it near the bottom. It should be on both the jig and the hook
>>
File: download.jpg (2 KB, 180x140) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
2 KB, 180x140
>>693824
>>693828
Forgot the pic
>>
>>693825
There are 13 in that pic btw
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>693810
Works pretty good for me
>>
>>693762
>not a Mepps Comet
You fuckin up

I have a few Comets and I don't use them a ton. Never noticed a huge difference between them and regular Agilas.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>693823
At least you got out.

And if that's your little cig can, you gotta quit. Don't be like PepsiFag smoking 2-3 packs a day.
>>
>>693852
Right on!

I'll have to get me one of them lures to try.

Crappie are good eats, though you need quite a bit for a decent meal.
>>
File: Inshore_0634.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Inshore_0634.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
It's like Christmas morning....
>>
>>693771

The setup I just replaced is >>693364

It works really well, outside of snagging on things when I need to duck through caves or climb up cliffs/ledges when walking along the shore. I've got pretty much everything I need for a day or two inside that bag.

Just took a look at the rod though, and it's had it. Ordered the 10ft (2pc) beef stick and an Okuma Trio to go with it. I'm going to make a pvc pipe case with a bunch of cleats, and use one of my old camera QR straps on it so I can sling it around, and attach it to my pack however I want.
>>
>>693881
its not, and i dont smoke (asside from the occasional cigar or pipe, but the last one i had was 8 months ago... that reminds me, my buggy still owes me a cohiba from a bet) thats a pipe that goes all the way to the bottom of the lake and then in to the mud a ways to hold the dock in place. when they first put that dock in those were hollow all the way down...
>>
>>693921
im sure youll enjoy it! ive enjoyed mine, though i kinda wanna downsize from the opus 5000 i put on it, it just feels too big and clunky. i think a 4500 would feel better on it.
>>
>>693881
I tried quitting dozens of times and it never worked out. Then I tried vaping and never looked back.
>>
>>693929

I was surprised to see that Amazon was willing to ship it out here, half the time I see something interesting with an odd shape they just won't do it. Unfortunately this means I'll have to actually take care of my stuff now...
>>
File: IMG_20150523_211356528.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150523_211356528.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>693902
I have a nice chub going on right now
>>
drove 40 min to icefish today ( everything nearby isnt frozen enough) 80 or so keeperr gills and perch one 3.5 lb bass, and one 2 lb catfish
>>
>>693929
though the 12 foot i have with a 525 mag i love and wouldnt change a thing on.
>>
>>693939
lucky bastard. nothing around me is worth bothering with. even two hours north there isnt enough ice. its the shittiest part of winter, too much ice to fish, but not enough ice to fish.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>693892
They're only like a $1.50 at walmart where I live. I caught about 15 before it started to fall apart so I had to get some more.
>>
>>693935
>chub
arent chub a european fish? and isnt maine in the states? or am i thick.
>>
File: 12902-004-50C38416.jpg (34 KB, 368x300) Image search: [Google]
12902-004-50C38416.jpg
34 KB, 368x300
>>693965
I meant boner..

like your tackle is giving me a fat chubby.

Anyways chubs are sucker fish, my last picture was NOT a chub.
>>
>>693969
ohhhhh, yeah then im just thick.
>>
File: sharks.png (942 KB, 585x586) Image search: [Google]
sharks.png
942 KB, 585x586
>>693974
got a thick one for that buck tail

on a different topic.

anyone ever do this? kayak bait out?

Curious about what methods others use.
>>
>>693969
so then what is that in the pic? skipjack herring?
>>
File: shad.png (1 MB, 792x545) Image search: [Google]
shad.png
1 MB, 792x545
>>693978
American Shad
>>
File: shark.jpg (41 KB, 715x471) Image search: [Google]
shark.jpg
41 KB, 715x471
>>693977
i really want to but i need a kayak first. ive got a shakespere tiger rod (only 5'6'') and a penn longbeach 68 spooled with 500 yards of 50 pound test. i usually king rig with it when im in the carolinas and i got this this year, but ive not gotten anything from the surf with it yet
you can see the combo im on about in the background
>>
>>693979
figured it was one of the two. are they any good to eat or are they just bait? ive never seen one in person so...
>>
>>693948
its one of the few pojds thats still frozen around here, went out with 2 other guys age 70 and 83, im 19, apparently im an old man will post a pi or two in a bit maybe
>>
>>693979
>>693981
or are those what people refer to as "bunkers"
>>
>>693982
holy christ another 19 year old in the fishing thread!

come youngfag, we have a next generation to preserve or some self righteous crap like that!
>>
File: IMG_20160221_130838030.jpg (4 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_130838030.jpg
4 MB, 4320x2432
>>693984
Where are you located at?

Apologies for fuckhuge pictures my phone just does that
I fish with the old guys because not many people my age fish, and alot of those who do are obnoxious and just think being "country " is cool
>>
File: shad1.png (500 KB, 741x422) Image search: [Google]
shad1.png
500 KB, 741x422
>>693980
I really want a shark rig like that. I use an old school Masters 11' and a Mitchell Sportfisher 6100. Just didn't get a chance to try kayaking my bait out last season.

>>693983
Bunker is completely different.
>>
File: IMG_20160221_153306400.jpg (4 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_153306400.jpg
4 MB, 2432x4320
>>693987
Also that perch was fat as fuck couldn't even get my hand wrapped around it
More gills
>>
>>693988
what i thought, nice dubs btw
>>693987
near akron ohio, and the people near me are mostly potheads, motor vehical enthusiasts (though to be fair i love my klr650 to death, but all they do is make their trucks bigger and louder) pot heads (2 guys and a girl i used to go to highschool with recently got caught in a huge drug bust) and the rest are just racist/homophobic/biggoted whatever the fuck redneck trailer trash that i dont assosiate with. i litterally know one person about my age who fishes a lot near me.
i also think the company of older people is better, there is a certain amount of civility with it. no blairing music to make sure the guy on the other side of the lake has something to listen to, they all have decent fishing mannors, there is a lot to learn from them, they have funny stories from their childhood to pass the time, etc.
>>
File: IMG_20160112_162932.jpg (3 MB, 3780x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_162932.jpg
3 MB, 3780x2432
>>693994
Welp we can ride and fish some time

My newest toy just a little 125 but I brought it out in the ice once this season
>>
>>693987
>I fish with old guys
Who doesnt? I go on an annual week long canoe/fishing trip down Kentucky's Red River Gorge with a group of old fucks. Im the youngest guy there at 35. Oldest guy is 67. The thing about going with old guys is they know the river, best spots to put in or take out, and seem to know all the prime camping spots. In a couple of years my son and nephew will be old enough to come with us. Then I will be the old fuck showing kids the river etc. Its fucking beautiful if you think about it.
>>
File: IMG_20160221_153446592_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_153446592_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>693994
My favorite catch of the day
Caught a much larger one earlier but he wouldn't sit still for a picture so I liked this little guy better
>>
>>693997
that actually looks like a cool little bike. two stroke i presume? and ill have to get knobbier tires, mine are old and not very knobbie (i have a gravel driveway and spinn out 1/5 of the times i come in my drive) i was thinking about getting the dunlop t63, but wed have to go down relatively mild trails, considering the klr650 is a 400 pound bike. really its more of a street bike with high suspension than a dirt bike with indicators.
>>
File: youmustkillthepickerel.png (866 KB, 599x602) Image search: [Google]
youmustkillthepickerel.png
866 KB, 599x602
>>694000
trips for catching dope little dudes.
I love catching little pickerel they slam!
>>
>>694003
4 still only 130 lbs wet and Max speed of 45-50
I won't take it on any longn trips tho
>>
File: tirerear.jpg (21 KB, 265x471) Image search: [Google]
tirerear.jpg
21 KB, 265x471
>>694000
nice trips
and my first pike was about that size, i got it in the cuyahga in riverfront park on a little 1 inch floating rapala and 4 pound test.
heres my tire btw meant to put it in the other post but you know. the front is the same, im thinking about getting a set of dunlop t63 tires.
>>
>>694007
hell, id ride it down a trail. i kinda regret my 650 as much as i like it. not enough power to be a street bike, too much weight to be a dirt bike, i shouldve gotten something like a crf 250, klx 250 or wr250. or gotten something like a ninja 650
>>
>>694009
Never caught a pike on my list for this year
>>
>>694007
so thne where are you if i may ask? im closer to ksu than akron
>>
>>694019
get some big inline spinners and throw them where youd expect bass to be. youll either get monster bass or decent pike or muskie.
>>
>>693994
I'm 19 also and there's only two of my friends my age I actually enjoy fishing with
>>
>>694021
northeast usa, planning on getting a bigger bike and going on roadtrip in the next year or so only issue with pike here is they arent in alot of places, so ineed to travel to find them
>>
>>694024
ive never fished with the guy my age who i know fishes though im half tempted to ask him. so, you near akron? any lake you might wanna meet up at and fish a little possibly?
>>
>>693977

Out here some guys hook regular plastic shopping bags to their lines and let the wind take em out.
>>
>>693994

Man, you just reminded me that I need to get my 07 KLR running again. I like that thing, but it turns out that I just like bicycles even more.
>>
>>693881

Pepsi, i saw this and thought of you:

http://www.mudhole.com/French-Blade-Spinner-Kit

Could be fun.
>>
>>694045
haha, Do-It Essentials Softbait Lure Molds
reminds me of my old Creepy Crawlers bug making toy
>>
>>694034
>so, you near akron?
Nooooope I'm in north Texas. Otherwise I'd be down.

>>693878
>mepps comet
>$5 lure compared to a $1.50 lure that does the same thing

I fish around trees and rocks so I'm gonna pick the cheapest thing that works in case I lose it
>>
>>693988
get on ebay, a reel like what ive got will be about 30 dollars, then get on amazon, an uglystik tiger should be around 60-70 dollars with free shipping, then get some mono or braid in the appropriate strength, and then go rock and roll. it should be about 100 dollars for the hole set-up
>>
>>694060
whole*
>>
>>693944

Only sizes on amazon were 7ft and 10, figured 10 is pushing it for something I hike around with.
>>
>>694082
I got my 12 foot on ebay
>>
>>694094

The problem is shipping though. I've had people on Ebay ship free to Hawai'i a grand total of two times. I've pretty much given up on it unless it's for something I'm not likely to find elsewhere, like old Nikon manual focus lenses and discontinued accessories.
>>
>>693828

Yup, this. I recommend a spro. I would also recommend a 1oz. You should use the smallest jig you can get away with, but for me its usually 1oz. Although defintely have some 1/2 and 3/4oz if you get the right conditions.

Make sure you use braid. 15-20# with a mono or Flouro leader.
>>
>>693196
That's a Sculpin. You can tell because it looks a lot like a Goby, but the Pelvic Fin is split. These are endangered (local species) where I live, but I don't know what type of Sculpin that is or where you caught it.

If you haven't already done your own research, I could try to ID the exact species if you give me some more info.
>>
>>694045
That's pretty cool, I could try and find some dressed hooks or do it myself and make some cool shit. Maybe get some little model paint too for the blades.

I would like to get some with a regular single hook so I could do trailers. I believe Mepps makes them, but they are hard to find in stores.
>>
File: IMG_20150706_192351964 copy.jpg (1 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150706_192351964 copy.jpg
1 MB, 4320x2432
>>694234
I believe you're right, but it looks a lot different from the sculpins in my area.
>>
File: IMG_20150625_172937053.jpg (5 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150625_172937053.jpg
5 MB, 4320x2432
>>693251
Spring can't come soon enough.
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 640x1136
Should I?
>>
>>694424
I'm pissed I waited/debated for a day and missed out on 6 salt reels for 200 on Craigslist
>>
>>694424
What kind of reels? You can easily snag 2 very high quality baitcasters for that much.
>>
>>694424
What are they? Sell me one.
>>
>>694395
thats a sea robin, not a sculpin
>>
>>694455
>>694472
I messaged him for more details. I'll tell y'all as soon as I know.
>>
>>694490
It's defiantly a sculpin, probably different species than what you are used to.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/bottomfish/identification/sculpins/
>>
>>694583

oh youre right, searobins are smoother on the head and have little thingies under them (its been about 7 months since ive seen one in person)
>>
>>693984
I'm 20 anon. There's plenty of younger fisherman in my experience.

Being in Florida might have a lot to do with that, though.
>>
Just recently got some braided line coming from mono. I'm having trouble tying it, what's a good universal knot for braided line?
>>
>>694626
uni knot
>>
>>694626
when im tying a swivel or something directly to the braid i use this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxS7fVOkmDo

most of the time i'm using a fluorocarbon leader with my braid though, thats when i use the improved albright knot. its strong and slim when tied correctly.
i've heard about the FG knot bein even better for braid to fluoro but i havent looked into it yet.
>>
>>694626

Tying to a swivel or lure, palomar or double palomar. Tying to flourocarbon fg knot 100%. Or a uni to uni also works.
>>
>>694626
Well, since you got hella mixed results, I like the Palomar knot. I used to always fux wit uni type knots, but after switching to the Palomar I have had great luck. The don't loosen up, don't lose much strength at all, and they are real easy to tie. Definitely had more uni type knots fail me than Palomar.
>>
>>693984
>>694618
You gotta remember, this is 4chan. Most people on here seem to be college aged. We had a little /o/ meet and basically everybody was 20-22. I felt like an old man at 26. Luckily I have the maturity of a 17 year old.

/out/ def seems to be an older board though. /b/ is all fucking children.
>hey /b/, what's the best way to fake sick so I don't have to go to school tomorrow?
>>
>>694679
>like an old man at 26
x2 but you can 1/2 the maturity level so I think that makes us equals
>>
File: topkek.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
topkek.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Caught this this weekend.
3lbs bluefish. 1.55kg for the ones who use proper measurement.
56cm in length.

I broke my records for biggest fish twice in a row. Few days before this i caught a seabass at 850gr 42cm.
>>
>>694717
>dat pic

I don't know why this made me laugh so hard
>>
>>694717
sheeit where are you catching bluefish right now?
Jersey? LI?

have fun cleaning that to eat, they are a pain in the ass. taste good if you cook em up right, real nice and fishy, briny.
>>
>>694717
love the photo
Petri Heil!
>>
>>694721
>>694721
Best pic i got that shows it in scale without my face in it. Forgot to take the "fish,rod,lure" pic.

Its a bloody mofo tho.

>>694722
Im yuro my man.
They are lingering around here. Spring and warmer water should bring more in.

Its easy really. The "film" in the gut was a pain tho. Gilt head bream is so much easier to gut. Didnt scale it, baked it in the oven in salt, so the skin and scales peel right off. It and the seabass made a bomb ass lunch.

Hoping to find a good spot to shore jig and find an amberjack.
Daiwa tournament 8PE is on 50% sale rn so im gonna snatch a 300m roll for 40ish bucks.
>>
I need a new reel to put on an 8ft rod for pier fishing. Any suggestions?

So far I've been thinking either a Penn Battle or Fierce II. It will be for bluefish, snook and other decent sized fish.
>>
File: 101_2403.jpg (2 MB, 4288x3216) Image search: [Google]
101_2403.jpg
2 MB, 4288x3216
>>694626
>>694640
yeah uni is best knot
>>694671
palomar knots suck for flouro though
>>694722
theyve never been too hard for me to clean

i learned the hard way last summer that cabelas jigs suck. look how much hair came off these two before i even fished them.
>>
>>694730
Damn that sucks
>>
well im about to sell a fuck ton of fishing gear i dont use
>penn peer 309
>penn 209
>penn longbeach no. 60
>daiwa sealine x40sha
>daiwa opus 5000 bri
>daiwa beefstick 10 foot spinning
>berkley big game catfish rod
>8' uglystik trolling rod
>10'6'' no-name rod
>penn longbeach rod

i should be raking in 300-400 that i will use to buy more fishing gear i dont use, or another gun i dont shoot.
>>
>>694730

The hair would be easy enough to tie back on with some thread and super glue or epoxy
>>
>>694744
yeah but i dont want to pay for a pre made jig if the first thing im going to do is cut off the hair and tie it back on. id rather pay for components and then assemble them if im going to that much trouble.
>>
>>694734
gib beefstick, or 10 6 rod and a big ass reel so i can start surfcasting
>>
>>694734
>>694755
or litterally anything i can use for surfcasting since im too poor to buy a setup
>>
>>694765
>>694755
i own 3 beefsticks and swear by them for heaving big baits. im selling one because its just collecting dust; i only use two of them.
really i got my start surf fishing with those 8 and 9 foot catfish rods that you get from walmart for 25 bucks.
id say get one of those combos and go fish, or if youve already got one like it.
>>
>>694798
dont have anything long enough i have a 7 ft ugly stick tiger rod thats a boat rod/ if i decide to go kayaking / trying to throw a big bait but i dont get enough distance
>>
Is the difference in casting distance from a 7ft to 8ft rod substantial?
>>
>>694501
From what I can tell, right to left
Can't tell, h20 mettle
Silver max, gen 2
Lew's Speed spool variant, tournament mg
Can't tell
Can't tell, in house brand?
Lew's American speed spool
>>
looking for a basic surf setup to chuck anything from live bait, to bucktails, and maybe some top water, what length shoud i aim for? 10 ft? 11?
>>
>>694810
13ft with a penn Z series reel
>>
>>694812
$200 nope il probably use my penn frc5000 ffor now
>>
>>694814
Is it a fierce or fierce II? Do you like it? I've been thinking of getting one.
>>
>>694815
fierce, i havent used it very much to be honest, i rarley get out saltwater fishing nd its on my bluefish rod ( only 7 ft) seems really smooth for the pricepoint and i like it from what i have done with it , plus should be able to swap it over to a surf rod aswell with ittls issue
>>
>>694810
>>694806
>samefag
either way my answer would vary depending on what youre doing more
if youre throwing big, heavy lures and live baits (4-10 oz) id go with a beefstick, 10 foot minimum, 12 foot preferred
if youre going to be throwing mostly under four ounces, then you might like the uglystik surf rod from 9-11 feet
the uglystik surf rods have a softer tip, which makes them great for flinging "light" (1-4 oz) lures, but the uh... welll beefiness of the beef stick makes it really nice for heaving big baits.
personally id buy one of each and then just switch the reel between them if i had to do everything well on a budget. then id get a daiwa opus 4000 bri or opus 4500 bri depending on which im doing more of, spool it with high vis 17-20 pound mono, then put a clear 50-80 pound mono or flouro shock leader about 15-20 feet long on top of that.
id say get the beefstick first, its cheaper and -can- fling lighter stuff well enough, but thats not its strong suit.
>>
>>694817
if its a level wind, put it down, i cant tell you how many lures and rigs ive seen people loose from surf casting with a level wind and the knot connecting the mainline to shock leader gets stuck in there, line snaps, rig lost for ever. then i once saw the levelwind get ripped off almost completely, and that reel was totaled. but more than anything i see the shockleader knot cut peoples thumbs because they cant put it right on the edge of the spool, and it winds up dead center. youll either have to run a 40 pound main and let your casting distance and accuracy suffer or risk breaking your line, reel, and/or hurting your thumb.
>>
>>694818
nope im the anon with the frc5k nice reel probably no huge baits, probably lighter weights ( under 6 oz) looking for heap as fuk surf rod diawa sealine spinning reel >>694821
spinning
>>
>>694828
oh right i thought of the wrong reel. if cheap is your end goal http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B0057GAM8C/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1 30 dollars plus shipping
>>
File: beefstick1.jpg (35 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
beefstick1.jpg
35 KB, 600x450
>>694856
>>694828
and the only way ive managed to break one of those is by running it over with a motorcycle, just something id like to mention
>>
>>694807
Well if he ever decides to message me back I might go for it depending on what the other ones are.
>>
>>694856
>>694860
30 sounds good to me, my 5k series reel should be enough for surfcasting, 55 lb power pro
>>
>>694860
what would you want tfor the beefstick and that reel?
>>
>>694812
>basic
anything but basic.

also 13 foot rod isn't a good idea for a starter.

>>694810
stick with 10, it's a good intermediary size.

>>694818
this is sound advice

>>694860
how do you like the diawa reels?
>>
>>693274
Getting a decent fly fishing outfit is never a bad idea for rivers. My favorite on a river is my 5' UL Quantum rod with 2 WF floating line. Cast 15 to 20 yards, drift over sweet spots. I've got 7.5'/8'/9' rods for precise casting. My new favorite outfit is my Cabela's rig. Got the rod on sale for $30 and the reel from the bargain bay for $75. Casts like a dream and I'm consistently hitting an area the size of a notebook at 30 yards. Hell, even shore fishing for bluegill with 1 weight line and ultra light gear is most fun you'll ever have.
>>
File: cold.png (1022 KB, 594x595) Image search: [Google]
cold.png
1022 KB, 594x595
>>694926
Got my girlfriend a cabela's 9ft 6wt Three Forks.

I haven't used it yet, but she really seems to like it.
>>
>>694990
>Got my girlfriend
>I haven't used it yet
This is why I like you
>>
>>694902
That's only a 10 foot along with the one I linked
And I like the reel I got but it's a little too heavy for lure fishing, I'd rather have gotten a 4500 or maybe even 4000
Live and learn I guess
>>
>>694902
>>695000
Trips fuck yeah
But I like them. I think Penn is better but I'm very content with Penn. The only thing I wish is that the bait runner is louder. I wind up just setting the bait runner then using a Bobber clipped on a loop to the line as a strike indicator
>Loop in line near bottom eye guide
>No knot
>Bobber
>Set drag on bait runner
>Fish bites, Bonner pulls off
> fish can freely run until I get to the rod
>Don't have to close bail or fuck with the drag
>>
>>694926
I've got some shitty Shakespeare fly rod and reel. I mostly fuck about for panfish with it in the over fished lake near me. but want to try some out in the rivers fly fishing.
>>
File: IMG_20150618_221131504.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150618_221131504.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>695000
what size lures are you using? I opt for 6k reels for my inshore and surf fishing. I'm also casting large 6-9 inch plugs. If I was fishing anything smaller I would probably opt for a 4k

My baitrunner 6k is nice for casting large chunks of shad, or keeping live mackerel on a leash.

My light inshore rig is a 2500 reel, with a Stradic 3000 spool, sitting on a 5'10 ugly stick. It's great for casting shad darts [awful to cast] and can handle some heavier 3-5inch lures.

>>695004
damn that is a smart idea as an indicator, I might have to try that when live lining from the cliffs this summer. I usually just use a balloon which is loosely tied so it can move up and down the line, with the baitrunner set just tight enough to not run from the mackerel swimming. Then I mostly rely on the sound of the drag, if it starts screaming I set the hook. Having a visual indicator would be nice, as I use the balloon to keep a tab on where my mackerel is swimming,

I've also noticed when live lining with a balloon, is when my mackie gets far enough out I can cast a sibiki near the balloon and typically jig it through a school.

Get two or more rigs a few meters apart and you can watch the balloons move together in what seems like unison, almost marking nearby schools of mackerel.
>>
>>695009
Usually I'm running about 1-3 ounces 4 ounces being about the extreme. I'm very in to small lures because I'll catch more fish. I mean if I run a 2 inch jointed rapala for bass I'll also get some nice slab crappie. If I run a 2 ounce jig I can get 10-15 inch bluefish, decent flounder, drum, cobia, stripper, bigger blues, etc
If I run 4-5 ounce jigs I'm only going to get big drum, stripers, big blues, and Cobia. I'd rather catch 10 fish a pound each than 1 fish that weighs 10 pounds.

But when I say heavy I mean physical weight
>>
>>695016
yeah a 4k might suit you a lot better, although covering a wide array with one setup is hard. Maybe a cheap 4k would compliment the reel you have now, something you can carry in a pack or switch out depending if you plan on doing one specific type of fishing for the day.

Most of the time I bring 2-3 different configs and drive around, swapping gear from my trunk or pack depending on what setting I find myself in. It's fun to go right from a few hours of surf casting to fishing a nice relaxing lake within a matter of minutes.
>>
>>694890
For the pair 75 bucks, plus shipping. Both are still nib (accidentally ordered 2 of each. The other one I broke about 4 inches off of the tip but imma fix it)
>>
>>695021
I've got a casting combo (12 foot beefstick with a Penn 525 mag) that I like to use for heavier stuff. Plus at 80 bucks a combo I can afford to have an extra one. Like I'll rock the 12 foot/525 mag for heaving live or cutbait, heavy lures (4+ oz) I'll rock the 5kbri then for lighter stuff I'll buy an uglystik bigwater and spool a 4k bri with 65 pound power pro or something and rock that for lighter baits.
>>
>>695025
65lbs on a 4k

unorthodox but i'll be damned if that doesn't sound fun.
>>
>>695025
>>695021
Or maybe 50ish. I'd have to think a little. But either way...
Any who work demands I rise in 7 hours so off to bed
>>
>>695009

I'm not too sure if it'll work well for you, but guys fishing off cliffs out here use bells while baited lines are sitting out.
>>
Anyone else in socal? Me and my uncle usually end up at Isabella because it tends to be the closest to where I live, though I haven't explored a while lot. Does anyone know good places in southern California for bass or bluegill?
>>
>>692708
Don't put the hook in the eye!!!!!! Put it in the eye frame!!!! You are cutting the eye and making a line break easier!!!
>>
>>695063
Isabella is straight fire for catfish and crappie. If you're willing to make the trip, castias produces world class bass.
>>
Hey guys. Bluefish yuro fag here.

Ive been tryna get into shore jigging. And the latest idea i got is this.
Ive got a surfcasting rod.
Mitchell Catch 423 100-250g Surf Rod - 14Ft
Ive been using it for far baitcasting. But i have got a 100gr quantum speed jig, and i thought if i put some braid on it, i could cast that fucker way out, maybe even look for amberjacks and other sizeable predators.

Worth a shot or nah?
>>
>>695146
Should mention that the other jigs are 30-65gr i use a shimano vengeance ax monster 3.00m 28-75 grams for my saltwater fishing. Even though its a freshie rod.
I got it cos i have a heavier version of the same rod at 45-145gr casting weight, and its just a dream for baitcasting.
>>
>>695022
Il consider it, that's not terribly cheaper then buying new and may even cost the same with shipping (shipping rods can be stupid fucking expensive )
>>
>>692821
I know that feel, I've been using 4lb line and I've lost a few jigs.
>>
>>694728
>>694728
>>694728

Pls help.

My other option is a Penn SSV from ebay.
>>
>>695212
I have a battle II 4000 and fucking love it. Paired it with an Ugly Stik Elite Medium 7ft rod. Use it for trout, flounder, and redfish. May be a bit small for your setup. The BII 6000 seems more like what you are after.
>>
>>695212

This all really depends on what you're going for I would imagine. I really only fish off rocky cliffs into reefs. Sounds like it would be fine though. People tend to over complicate things.
>>
>>695031
yeah its weird i know, but i dont want more than 300 yards of line. i know im wierd; probably the only person youll ever meet who has said "damn it i have too much fucking line" in all seriousness and unironically
>>
>>695330
One of my level winds holds 500+ of 65 braid. That's a minimum of 50-60 just to spool it. I guess I can back the braid with a bunch of mono but if I get spooled it's another weak link with another knot.
>>
>>695336
ive got a pennlongbeach no.68 that is filled with 500 yards of 50 pound mono, i could probably work 1500+ yards of 65 pound power pro
>>
>>695349
How much would that cost?
>>
>>695336
I back my shark reel with string, knotted to trilene big game 60lbs mono. Then I use a 100lbs mono leader, sometimes steel
>>
>>695378
i run 50 pound suffix something (have to look at the spool) then a leader of 100 pound mono, then a leader of #5-#15 wire depending on what im doing with it. if im king rigging ill run #5-8 and depending on how big a bait i wanna use ill run #8-#15 and anything from a 2/0 live bait hook to a 12/0 circle.
>>
File: sharker.jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
sharker.jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
>>695378
pic related
>>
>>695596
What reel is that?
>>
File: IMG_20150718_223554496_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150718_223554496_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>695597
Mitchell Sportfisher 6100.
[pretty sure it's mitchell, can't find any info on it.]

It's super old, built like a tank, and can hold hundreds of yards of 60lbs mono, the reel is so goddamn deep.

The drag knob is a hose faucet handle, fits perfect and works really really nicely.

Got it for $5 bucks off craigslist, rebuilt it and it's good as new.
>>
>>695223
Have you ever gotten your real wet or submerged? I fish near some rocks that get constantly pounded by waves so every once in a while the reel would be completely wet. The spin fisher is entirely sealed so I'm kinda leaning towards it.
>>
>>695604
I personally use a stradic 6k as my go-to surf reel.

It's a freshwater reel, so I'm sure to rinse it after every use, oil it once twice a month, and service it (rebuild, reoil, regrease twice a year).

As long as you care for the reel you should be fine. Battle series reels are built well too so you'll be good.
>>
pls halp. Need a travel rod/reel combo. Don't want to do telescopic but it has to travel at like 2 and a half foot when broken down.

I will be fishing saltwater as well.
>>
>>695619
Say WEW LAD 3 times, do a little spin and your dream combo will appear

>ugly stik 4 piece
>>
>>695626
Also a Penn Fierce II 3000 or 4000.
>>
>>695604

The spinfisher has a semi sealed body and drag. It still can get water in it though, especially if you turn the handle while submerged. You will have to give it a freshwater rinse and take it apart and regrease every once in a while.

True fully sealed reels are crazy expensive. Van stall, zeabass ect...the penn torque is also fully sealed and is like $600+ lol
>>
>>695638
So is it better to just go with a fierce?
>>
File: IMG_20151223_174449788.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_174449788.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>695638
Pretty sure the new ones are 100% sealed, its kind of what sold me on the 6500bls
>>
>>695642
Do you love it? Have you ever used a battle or fierce before?
>>
>>695642

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWaKtMRGfH0

This guys runs surf casting charters out of montauk twice a day during the season. He runs a charter in the morning, sleeps in his truck a few hours, and then does another charter at night. This is what happened to his spinfisher lol.

Having said that, ive read that its not fully sealed other places as well. Same with the penn clash, which is also mostly sealed, but has a better brass gearing system.

Basically, its "water resistant" not waterproof. You can wade chest deep, and start turning the handle underwater lol. Thats what those other ridiculously expensive reels are for.

The spinfisher serves its purpose for you and I though. Just rinse it after using and clean it once in a while.

>>695639

I wouldnt say so. I have a fierce, battle, and a spinfisher. The spinfisher offers the added protection against the salt the other two reels lack. They all have the same awesome ht 100 drag system though. It's up to you, its twice the price, but worth it imo.
>>
>>695674

goddamn what did he do to that reel.

I'm betting he took it apart perhaps and forgot a spacer?

Not even my shimano gets that bad and I straight dunk that thing while reeling.

I haven't used the 6500bls yet, going to start using her in April, I'll let you guys know what I think, and how it holds up.
>>
>>695715
Nigger you better take that reel off your granite counter top soon and start using it.
>>
>>693370
I sometimes check the fishing reports from this boat. http://www.normakfishing.com/news_reports.php
Its obviously not surf but sometimes you can see whats running. also thats a long drive for this time of year.
>>
>>695719
It's almost spring. John Skinner has videos of him using it, I've been watching them every so often when I start running my thumb and realizing how smooth it is.
>>
File: 20151229_222332.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151229_222332.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>695776

He also uses a clash, and a 706z lol. All great surf reels, easy to maintain.

>>695715

He said he used it 10x, which makes me believe it was new lol. That is probably an embellished instance, I belive my spinfisher will hold up better. Having said that, I do have a battle and an ss750 as a back up haha.

I havent used mine yet either. Will report back in spring when its seen some action.
>>
File: Cranka Crab.jpg (83 KB, 704x569) Image search: [Google]
Cranka Crab.jpg
83 KB, 704x569
Hey guys, I'm looking for the best way to make some soft plastic crab lures use treble hooks instead of a jighead. I want the lure to resemble a cranka crab (pic related). I already have the soft plastic crabs, (using savagegear manic crabs) and will cut off the claws and make custom ones out of foam so they float. The treble hooks will be attached to the claws, I'm just not sure about the best way to attach the treble hooks to a tow point. I was thinking of using a wire through the plastic? Any ideas guys?
>>
File: savagegear crab.png (284 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
savagegear crab.png
284 KB, 800x800
>>695819
Here's what the savage gear crabs look like.
>>
Guys how am i supposed to rinse my reel?
It is a saltwater reel but for longevity purposes i rinse it as well as the rods and lures.

I usually just water it with the shower head, on the spool and boom part from the side/top.
>>
>>695819
Thread line/wire through with a bait needle.

Thats how i would do it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.