[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this? Have any of you used one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
Thoughts on this?

Have any of you used one?
>>
>Extreme Heat
>Plastic
>Electrical Components
>Lithium Batteries

Good combination, seems like a solid product that totally won't fail in a year.
>>
>>689864
>only neat thing about a biolite is it can generate electricity
>makes a version that does not generate electricity
Brilliant!
>>
>>689864
>Can't use in the summer because of the fire ban
>Can't use in winter because of wet wood

really useful junk
>>
>>689864
>/co/79930179
I agree with the other anons. What is the point of this? A battery powered fan to fan you twig fire? hundred bucks?

It says biolite so nu-campers will buy it. Anyone with half a brain can't see a point though.
>>
>>689905
It saves you thousands in batteries. Don't be a hater
>>
>>690018
I have a 7w folding solar panel I can strap to my backpack and charge my phone/flashlight while I hike. That and a hobo stove together still weighs less than a biolite.

>Inb4 "clouds, fggt!"
>I'm not streaming movies, I just top it off so I always have GPS for emergencies and the occasional crappy photo.
>>
>>690018
How does it do that? Batteries for the handheld fan you bring for your fire. It literally says it powers a fan. It doesn't say it charges anything. It doesn't make battery power from the fire. It generates air for the fire. Am I missing something?
>>
>>689873
This.
There's nothing else to say about it.

"You know the only unique selling point our product has?"
"Yeah?!"
"Let's drop it."
"That's ingenious!"
>>
>>689878
Sounds like you have other issues.
>>
File: 1455097086595.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1455097086595.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>690037
>>690018
>>690032
It is a battery powered rocket stove.

I think you can also use the battery to charge your phone, but no it does not make electric from the fire.
>>
>>689864
I just got one. I'll probably try it out once and pack it away forever.
>>
>>690052
Did you get it as a gift or something?
>>
>>690043
That's not a rocket stove. A rocket stove requires a long, highly insulated burn chamber in order to completely break down the combustibles into CO2. This is why rocket stove exhaust can be used in greenhouses; any slightly less efficient system will create CO, which is toxic to plants.
>>
> op has issues
>>
>>690054
Yup, my wife thought it was neat. Who knows maybe it will be useful and not break the first time I use it.
>>
>>690067
Well if you ever take your wife camping then be sure to bring it then.
>>
>>690052
>>690067
Opps my bad she got me the one that makes power. Though the directions say there is a fan to aid in cooking
>>
I got the one that charges shit and the grill attachment. I really like it, not totally practical but still nice if you don't mind spending the cash.
>>
>>690060
It is a powered rocket stove which does not require an insulated pipe because it uses manually forced air via a fan. This is why it burns cleaner. Even the advert in the OP mentions "smokeless flames".

I'd rather use a real rocket stove, especially since it uses a battery.
>>
File: 800500.jpg (17 KB, 358x440) Image search: [Google]
800500.jpg
17 KB, 358x440
>>689864

I'd rather have a much more efficient combo of

solar charger +
>>
File: hobostove.jpg (27 KB, 235x314) Image search: [Google]
hobostove.jpg
27 KB, 235x314
>>690258

Ikea hobo stove
>>
>>689864

Okay so if the battery runs out it becomes a basic metal cannister that you can burn shit in?

It seems to work against the logic of camping. You want something basic and dependable, not something that can fuck up because it has complicated moving parts powered by electricity.

Also, love that carefully crafted wavy top which blocks you from using your own containers. Enjoy paying an extra $100 for each little piece of shit that sits on top.

Also, that fucking ludicrous grill... you could do that with 4 tent pegs and a bit of mesh sitting on top of a fire, for a total cost of about $2.
>>
File: 130416114124-large.jpg (45 KB, 590x442) Image search: [Google]
130416114124-large.jpg
45 KB, 590x442
I think this and a hobo stove would be better but I don't know. Anyone use one of these before? Do they work good?
>>
>>689864

Ahahaha, oh my. It's been too long without a biolite thread
>>
>>690283
Whats the concept there? Have a fire between two logs so that they burn too?
>>
>>690294
the cooking pot is a seebeck thermoelectric generator. So long as there's heat it makes electricity.
>>
File: sierra_yel.jpg (16 KB, 215x207) Image search: [Google]
sierra_yel.jpg
16 KB, 215x207
>>689864
>http://www.zzstove.com/sierra.html
sage
>>
>>690039
More like
"You know the only unique selling point our product has?"
'Yeah?'
"Let's reverse it"
>>
>people still thinking that the device in the OP creates electric

It is only a battery and fan for airflow. You charge up the battery using a USB cord. The unit doesn't make electric. The company does have devices that do make electric.
>>
>>690295
I meant the fire set up though.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.