[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fire Foods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20151119_140043808.jpg (4 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151119_140043808.jpg
4 MB, 3264x1836
TLDR; food suggestions for over the fire - no dehydrated food

Hey guys. I don't usually need any advice because I'm a fully seasoned camper who is comfortable in the backwoods even with a small pack.

This time I've challenged myself to make it on a 45L pack. Normally this time of year I bring a toboggan I built out of high grade 5/16" thick plastic & have about 80L of gear what with extra warm clothes that I almost never dig into & a bunch of other gear that's nice to have but is pretty unnecessary. I'm going to ride my fat bike into our site (18km of bushwacking).

45L pack will have: sleeping pad, -20 down sleeping bag, seat pad for sitting on, 1 set of extra warm layer, 4 pairs of WARM socks, K-Bar, hatchet, headlamp, piss jug (old nalgene), newer nalgene for water, cards, tarp & rope for my shelter, 420 shit, 26er of good scotch, 2 packs of cigs, food, 1 pot, cutlery multi-tool, mini grill, home made fire starters, shit tickets, & probably a couple other small things I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'll have my shell layer on/in the bag on my bike for the trip in.

I'm going up North this coming weekend for my 17th winter camping trip. I don't need any suggestions on gear or whatever just looking for some input on foods to make.

Usually:
Day 1
Breakfast: at home/on the drive
Lunch: sandwich (something I can eat on the go)
Dinner: Steak & veggies

Day 2:
Breakfast: Eggs, bacon & toast
Lunch: kraft dinner or can of soup
Dinner: sausages on buns

Day 3:
Breakfast: oatmeal
Snacks (ie cliff bars, trail mix, etc)
Lunch/Dinner: truckstop diner an hour down the highway from where we park the car.

Food suggestions for backwoods? None of that expensive dehydrated bullshit. GTFO camping is supposed to be cheap.
>>
>>689091

Bike has 45NRTH Dillinger 4 studded tires on it for the winter. Yes, it has been field tested & works great in the snow.
>>
No rifle? No small game?
Nature provides bro....
>>
Mountain house is good if you are looking for practical. Not sure who else makes them because they are hawt
>>
>please tell me how to eat for free because I spent my money on drugs
>>
>>689174
Not so much during this time of year where I live unfortunately. Almost everything is tucked away for the winter.
>>
>>689267
lol I want grocery store suggestions faggot.
I make >$100k salary...

Just looking to shake things up with what I eat this trip because I'm getting kind of bored of kraft dinner & sausages.
>>
>>689091
Eggs bacon and toast might as well have that at home.

Add some class anno

http://paleoleap.com/baked-eggs-asparagus-leeks/
>>
>>689091
>experienced camper
>17th winter trip
needs advice for 5 meals!?!?!?!?!?!
Please kill me now. This board has gone to shit.
>>
>>689091
>expensive dehydrated bullshit
> greater than $100k salary
well placed bait, I nibbled, now I'll swim away
>>
Have you considered cliff bars? They be breddy gus
>>
>>689575
That looks fucking awesome! Thanks for the suggestion based anon.
>>
>>689591
I like to just cook regular food while I'm out there. Busting my ass in the woods gathering wood & adventuring takes it out of me. I have a huge appetite and I have to keep up with it.

My >$100k only works out to about $60k after tax in Ontario...

I'm just looking for some new food suggestions to try that I don't have to spend a tonne of money on at the Outdoor store.
>>
>>689590
Just looking for some suggestions to shake things up a bit. You don't have to be a faggot about it.
>>
>>689757
>he makes $100k per year and can't afford a $4 mountain house.

You should just stay home
>>
>>689091

Why the fuck are you bringing a piss jug? That's greasy bud.

Anyways...

Bacon, Lots of bacon
Some steaks
Smokies
A stick of butter and packs of flavored rice
Small potatoes cut up and fried in bacon grease
Tortillas and cheese with bacon

A cast iron pan is nice, but heavy as fuck. Most shit should stay cool enough without a cooler if you plan on going during winter. Fuck that cliff bar bullshit and that preservative laden dehydrated shit.
>>
>>689757
>$100k Ontario
I was guessing CA when you used km
100k canaderian is like 22,000 USD now so poorfag

>>689777
>can't afford a $4 mountain house.
That's like $600 Canaderian $
>>
>>689803
Piss jug is for when it's -20 so you don't have to get out of your sleeping bag in the middle of the night... Also traps the heat in your bag with you. first time i ever did it, i decided it was the best idea
>>
>>689897

>so you don't have to get out of your sleeping bag in the middle of the night

How do you piss in a sleeping bag?
>>
>>689091
i always bring the same
bacon (good cooked smoked meaty bacon), sausages (any grill sausage in a vacuum pack will do), meat now this is tricky raw meat spoils fast but in a brine it lasts for many days (but you don't want to let it sit too much in brine will make it too salty so eat it on the first few days) some bread. you can bring uht milk and of course eggs will keep well enough.

what i want to try is make my own bread fresh on the fire that would be awesome.
>>
>>690021
By pissing into the mentioned piss jug...
>>
>>690190
and you can reclaim the warmth and with a sawyer mini the water too.
genius!
>>
>>690190
Does your mom get tired of washing your sleeping bad every morning?
>>
>>689757
That doesn't add up. I'm a firefighter in Ontario making 100k and I don't get taxed that badly.
>>
Rice.
Lentils.
Dried chestnuts.
Flower.
Dry onions, garlic and chili.
Extra virgin olive oil.
Salt.
A good guide of edible wild plants.

You don't need anything more OP.
>>
>>690582
>Flower
wat?
>>
>>690924
Flower, you know that mystical white powder with which you can make bread and other carb-rich elements to serve as a base for your meals?
Flower!
>>
>>690924
Also there are a lot of wild edible flours you can find in nature in all seasons to garnish your plates but you'll better follow your books for those.
>>
>>690931
flour i get but flower...
>>
>>690932
There are a lot of edible flowers out there and very tasty and nutritious if i might add!
>>
>>690937
i'm not a goat to eat flowers
bacon and steak or any combination of the two
>>
>>690940
Enjoy your lardass cholesterol.
Plus enjoy hogging crap food on your back that you could find in nature with much better taste to it.
>>
>>690943
did i mention cheese and eggs? those are good food too.
>>
>>690946
Yeah, good for when you wake up in your bed and go look in your fridge what to eat.
Really think cheese is practical outdoors?
Eggs you find them growing in trees Einstein.
>>
>>690954
>Really think cheese is practical outdoors?

What could be more practical than cheese?
>>
>>690983
Soylent, it's complete with all the essential nutrients and very lightweight!
Avoid foods that contain WATER at all costs!
>>
File: 6134757048_6ca67e60e3_b.jpg (137 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
6134757048_6ca67e60e3_b.jpg
137 KB, 776x602
>>690926
>>
>>690940
jesus christ you fucking melon
>>
>>690187
Raw meat spoils.... Not in -20 it doesn't...
>>
>>689091
Brotatd, what sleeping mat are you using?

Camped out in Alberta lastnight -15 I'm guessing but dang I had a cold back all night using a thermarest prolite long and -17 bag....
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.