[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What temperature could you withstand for an overnight with just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
What temperature could you withstand for an overnight with just an emergency blanket, sheltered from the wind and rain and near a fire? I mean, without getting frostbite or caressing hypothermia.
>>
>>688778
>Near a fire
Any temp
>>
>>688802
This

You don't need a Mylar blanket if you have a fire.

Without a fire......
>>
>caressing hypothermia

Shhh....be still...be still.
>>
File: 1432768110150.jpg (109 KB, 738x640) Image search: [Google]
1432768110150.jpg
109 KB, 738x640
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew to serve your turn long after they are gone, and so hold on when there is nothing in you, except the will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’... As long as you had to.
>>
>>688778
Be careful OP, if you are too close to the fire in a bivvy it may melt onto you not unlike Doom in the Fantastic Four.
You may find this to not be a problem though if you get super powers which some do.
>>
>>688825
it sure helps if there is wind and you want to keep your back warm.
>>
>>688937
Those who write quotes as these have achieved the closest one can of being a god of the 4chan.
>>
>>688964
Fucking a it does!
>>
>>689078
It actually wasn't that funny. I've seen better.
>>
>>689239
Then post em faggot. You know the drill
>>
File: 710.jpg (141 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
710.jpg
141 KB, 1400x1050
>>688778
>>
>>689261
I'm sorry but I don't screen cap things like a 12 year old.
>>
File: 60024848.jpg (63 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
60024848.jpg
63 KB, 300x300
>>689317
For someone claiming to have read post greater than the one I highlighted that is such a sophisticated reply young sir.
>>
>>689346
Thank you for liking my post that I capped, friend :)
>>689317
Oh don't be such a stick in the mud.
>>
If you're wrapped up in an emergency blanket, you're probably not getting much warmth from the fire, it's going to reflect the heat away. You can actually stay pretty warm tucking a hot pack between your femoral arteries.
>>
>>689380
> between your morals
>>
>>689380

You do get the warmth if you put the golden side out
>>
What if you did something like sandwiching this between wool blankets? Would the thermal reflectivity work with the wool and make something that's the best of both worlds? Or would that be a waste of both thermal and wool blankets?
>>
>>689869
When girls see the gold they'll cum for you and that is how those emergency blankets actually work. They also prevent your soul escaping your dead body so be sure not to die while using one! FACT!
>>
>>690057
Can't see what would change.
>>
>>690136
best used them with moromon undies that protect from fire and bullets
>>
>>688778
He stares. Not at what is, but at what once was. He's watched this forest steep into the depths of an icy depravity. Too cold for even the hardest of men. This forest doesn't win anymore. With your new High Quality Emergency Blanket, you and yours can make this forest great again.
>>
I've slept on the back of my truck at -10F, but I had three lawn chair cushions to keep me off the bed, and 2 full body blankets plus a head blanket.

Absolute coldest I've ever slept in was reported -22F with a cattle fan blowing on me, but that doesn't really count, because I was inside the house with a feather tick and about 15 layers all together. I still woke up at about 1am and remember thinking that I needed to close the window or I would die, and so I closed it, then went back to sleep. Woke up and discovered that my head blanket had come undone and my ear has never stopped ringing, although part of that is /k/ related I'm sure.
>>
>>690634
fucking wow.
>>
>>688954
If you had the capacity to make fire, you have the capacity to build a lean-to. Lining the back of a lean-to with a Mylar blanket makes the fire exponentially warmer, and you don't have to worry about melting to your skin.
>>
>>690634
looks like /lit/ is here
>>
>>691733
best would be to build a half-parabolic wall and sit in one focal point while the fire is in the other.
you might die of heat stroke if not cold enough.
>>
>>688802
at about -10 your ass is going to want to be in the fire.
>>
>>690173
Maybe make it a really effective blanket that's more comfortable than the emergency blanket alone? Alternatively, maybe it could function as an insulating ground cover or underquilt. I'm not really sure, it's why I was curious.
>>
>>695060
mylar blanket is not worth shit if you place it on the ground. it has no contact insulation properties.
it reflects infrared radiation heat loss back at your skin. it shouldn't even touch your skin.
>>
>>688778
Y'all niggas need Wim Hoff.
>>
>>695204
I had a feeling that was the case. That's why I was wondering if it would work if sandwiched between wool blankets. Like, if they were sewn together, with the mylar acting something like the filler for a quilt. Admittedly, I don't completely know what I'm talking about, which is why I was asking.
>>
>>695745
wool blankets breathe which means vapor escapes thru it's a good thing.
space blankets are emergency item when fighting hypothermia you no longer sweat.
>>
>>688778
>sheltered from wind and rain
>near a fire
So you're prettymuch in a heated home?
>>
File: operator erect.jpg (113 KB, 468x640) Image search: [Google]
operator erect.jpg
113 KB, 468x640
>>688937

kek
>>
>>688778
This is impossible to determine without knowing the humidity. You're looking at a 20-30 degree F range at least.
>>
>>699879
isn't this a worksafe board or something?
>>
>>699994
nevermind
>>
File: 1408193263077.jpg (39 KB, 453x500) Image search: [Google]
1408193263077.jpg
39 KB, 453x500
>>699879
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.