[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi friends. Anybody know what this type of reel is called?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Rod.jpg (114 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
Rod.jpg
114 KB, 550x367
Hi friends.

Anybody know what this type of reel is called?

Are these good for just spinning fishing spoons, lures, etc?
>>
>what is google

it;s a baitcaster, its more advanced than a spin caster
>>
>>687495
>More advanced"
Man you small game freshwater faggots are retarded.
>>
>>687537
What are you just a salty that never casts with baitcasters? You prolly just sit on a pier dropping 1 Oz weight to the bottom. The reel in the pic is freshwater, and they are the most difficult to use.
>>
>>687487
It's a baitcaster caster if you haven't found that out yet. You can do things like 'flipping' the bait with it.
Other techniques are walking the crawdad and jerking the hog belly.

They are good for Bass fishing.
>>
>>687495
>>687551
What is the deal with the baitcaster superiority complex?
>>
>>687495
Charlie Moore (The Mad Fisherman) uses a spinning reel, not one of these so I don't think it's advanced. I think it's more regional/cultural.
You tend to throw what you grew up on.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>687876
I only use my baitcaster so I can look down upon plebs with spinning reels at the local lake.

Unless it's dark out. Then I'll use the spinning reel because I'm afraid of backlashing it when I can't see my lure flying through the air. Also, if it's dark out, the plebs using spinning reels can't see your baitcaster anyway so it is worthless.
>>
>>687487
Shitcaster

Nothing beats a spinning reel.

>that faggot that uses a baitcaster and constantly gets backspin and spends 90% of the fishing trip untangling it
>that faggot that uses a spinning reel and doesn't remove the bail
>that spincast faggot that never grew up who like playing with the bell during the car ride home
>>
>>687888
The backlash issue isn't bad if you know what you are doing. I have been using spinning reels most of my life, so I don't have a ton of experience with baitcasters. But I still rarely get any nests. Only time it happens is when I try to cast really hard into the wind or something. And that's probably a result of me never adjusting the brakes.
>>
>>687487
It's called a memecaster, they're used by smug people who spend a lot of money on fishing gear but catch 3 bass a year.
>>
>>687892
The fact that it happens at all in any form and in any way you are doing it is an example of a shitty design.
>>
>>687911
I guess. But when you get it set all right with the right lure, it will normally cast further and smoother than a similar weight spinning reel. At least that have been my experience.

Like I have said in the other threads, I use spinning reels more. Primarily because my spinning reels work better for 1/4oz and smaller lures when I'm fishing from shore. I normally have 2 spinning combos and one baitcaster with me. When larger bass are biting though, especially if I'm using a bigger popper or frog, I kinda like the casting reel and I see the appeal of it.

I don't understand why some people are so dead set on one or the other.
>>
>>687635
Every single time there's multiple ways to accomplish the same goal people will always choose one and act like elitist pricks about it. The prime example is people who shoot compound bows. They talk shit about anyone who uses a gun or even a crossbow. Meanwhile, long bow and recurve enthusiasts generally keep to themselves. The compound bow and bait-caster mentality is the outdoors equivalent to the vegan superiority complex. It's an open door for shitty people to act like shitty people. Nothing more than that.
>>
>>687971
Not really true, I shoot a compound bow and keep my mouth shut about it. I'd be more likely to preach the benefits of using/learning on a recurve.
>>
>>687975
>Literally everyone...

It's a generalization made about a large group of people based on a reoccurring opinion that I've noticed. Not everyone is a cunt and not everyone who shoots a bow is an asshole. There are a lot of cunty assholes out there, though.

You might be an exception, but do you deny that the majority of people who hunt with a compound shit talk anyone who doesn't?
>>
>>687942
>But when you get it set all right with the right lure, it will normally cast further and smoother than a similar weight spinning reel.

If the spinning reel is topped up with line, there will be less friction on the line when you cast it than the friction to keep the flywheel effect going for the baitcast reel.

When I cast with any of my spinning reals, the line comes off in such a manner as to not even touch the spool top. I think some of this is caused by the fact the line wants to unspool the instant it doesn't have tension on it. If I don't keep tension on the line while tying on a snap swivel it will spring right off the spool like a slinky when using monofilament. Braided line will still do this, but to far far less effect. When braided is cast, it will have more friction and is more apt to touch the spool top as it is being casted. Yet, this amount of overall friction is still less than the force required to start the flywheel effect of the baitcast reel.

Thankfully, I don't live or fish where I must always cast a great distance off shore. So, I don't need an extra 5 feet regardless of the type of reel I use. In fact, when casting for distance with friends to show off, I normally run out of line, even when the spool is full on the spinning reel (10# monoline). If I need a larger reel for ____ fish then I use a larger reel instead of switching to a baitcast reel.
>>
It's a great reel if you want to learn how to cuss properly.
>>
>>687635
They are harder to use so every angler who's a muh baitcaster fag automatically thinks they're a more serious and better angler
>>
>>688085
>harder to use

Because of inferior design. It's like bragging you have to crank the engine in your car in order to start it and if you don't do it right you break your arm.
>>
>>688204
brb, checking craigslist for an old crankstart pickup truck to carry me and my 3 baitcaster rod/reel combos to and from local fishing holes.

>No expensive starter to go out
>No starter solenoid to go out
>Vehicle can even be started with a dead battery

The pros outweigh the cons IMO, if you know what you're doing you shouldn't get any kickback at all.
>>
low profile baitcaster
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.