[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm backpacking for 4 days and 3 nights outside in Canada,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 6172432.jpg (70 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
6172432.jpg
70 KB, 620x400
So I'm backpacking for 4 days and 3 nights outside in Canada, it's -20C almost everyday so I need tips for keeping warm and staying awake for the whole trip. There's no need for sleeping bags, tents or whatever, I'm more looking for stuff to heat up, heaters ( MSR superfly for exemple) and things to keep hand and feet from freezing.

It has to fit in a backpack
>>
Staying up for 4 days? During a hike? You wanna kill yourself or what?

It will affect your decisions, make youe body fail (if you'll face) dangerous sifuations. Either way, you will fall asleep during the night, and trust me, when that happens you want to be in a badass sleeping bag, under shelter, with fire near you.
>>
>>687473
This. What the fuck OP? Darwin will probably be stoppin by to say howdy. Tell him I say hey and that I hopefully won't be meeting him for quite some time.
>>
>>687473
never been conscripted?

You'd sleep in -20 C for weeks at the time, in bivaques no more advanced than the one in OP
>>
>>687485

Dude. Conscripted or not, just by being a creature that has a brain you should know that staying up for some 100 hours is:

1. Not recommended (comfort-wise)
2. Unhealthy
3. Dangerous (Considering he is going to stay in -20c terrain)
>>
File: OP.jpg (14 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
14 KB, 400x300
>>687470
OP: Please don't. You'll die. Also, MSR superfly runs on compressed, liquid gas. At -20C it won't turn into gaseous gas. It won't burn. You'll die.

If serious, bring shitload of amphetamines, also bring proper white gas stove, e.g. MSR Whisperlite, Primus Omnifuel/Omnilite
>>
>>687497
That comment.

You seriously gonna freeze to that and will be eaten by some hungry pack of wolves or whatever.
>>
>>687470
-20C isn't even that cold, you fucking pansy. Wool long john silvers and a down sleeping bag and you'll be toasty warm.
>>
>>687470
can you give a good reason why you can't go to sleep at night, it's dangerous to hike when it's pitch black and hard to navigate

>>687485
well I have also done that and at least the military gives you a sleeping bag that handles cold temperatures, I really doubt you slept in that without sleeping bag like op is talking about
>>
>>687470

>tips for keeping warm
>no need for sleeping bags

Do us a favour and go on your trip, because you're obviously retarded.
>>
>>687470
better to keep moving if planning to stay awake the whole run..
>>
OP here just to clarify I'm a canadian soldier and this is for an exercise so that is why I won't be able to sleep because we'll be practicing drills and missions night and day.
>>
Is this something you are going to do with your company? Dude, if this thing is a military activity, then you will have qualified medics to handle hypothermia and all, so I wouldnt worry much, you are in good hands.

We all thought you are a civillian doing this for fun.
>>
>>687553
If I do go into hypothermia or need medical assistance I fail the exercise so qualified medics are out the equation
>>
>>687470
i don't think you need anything special.
your clothes should keep you warm enough if you make a snow ditch.
insulate it with pine needles or something on the bottom cause hard packed snow is not good insulator.
>>
>>687553
>>687560
I'm confused, OP said he was "going backpacking". Now there's talk about an exercise. Honestly if this is some bullshit military exercise then you should be talking to the officers in charge and not us.
In the military they usually decide everything you get to bring in terms of gear and clothes etc.
>>
>>687575
maybe he wants to cheat
>>
>>687577
>Cheat on exercise in Canadian military
>receive a stern talking to, ordered to say 30 "O Canadas", and have your maple syrup rations withheld for a week
>>
>>687594
>receive a stern talking to
followed by an apology
>>
File: 1453893207363.jpg (121 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1453893207363.jpg
121 KB, 704x480
>>687470
wtf is with that gun in that pic? what the fuck do you need to defend yourself from in the winter? especially in canada.
>>
>>687599
Wolves
>>
>>687599
moose bears polar bears wolves cougars just the usual i imagine
>>
File: g.jpg (97 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
97 KB, 960x639
>>687601
you have a knife don't you?
>>
>>687602
polar bears? you don't know much about canada do you?
>>
>>687605
canada has polar bears be at ease
>>
>>687599
Not gun, it's a curling broom
>>
>>687599
Gun-frenzed Americans accidentally waddling across the border
>>
>>687877
Trudeau needs to build a wall.
>>
>>687550
In that case just follow your fucking training.
>>
What ex are you where you won't sleep for 4 days clown? You sound brand new. Our sleeping gear and cold weather gear is top notch as well as our food. You sound retarded. I have never been on a winter ex and not slept for 4 days. It won't happen in the winter for good reason. It's unsustainable in combat theatres and not trained. Even the sleeping bags and bivy bags alone are rated to -50c for survival. You need stove? The peak stoves issued are carried either way and are awesome. You sound like a kit whore looking to make it easier. I have trained in the artic and been through the advanced winter survival course and sleep is almost as important as hot food in the winter. The kit you are issued is great, and everything you need is provided. Grow up.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.