[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where does /out/ work? Did you apply for an outside summer job yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (218 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
218 KB, 600x399
Where does /out/ work? Did you apply for an outside summer job yet?
>>
I work at a ski lodge for the winter, I haven't found a summer gig yet but I've started sending out applications.
>>
File: 1455087826886.jpg (786 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455087826886.jpg
786 KB, 1920x1080
At a university

>summer job

Summer's not for working
>>
in gardens like that for the most part.

they apply to me, not visa versa.
>>
>>686330
>summer job
Oh I envy you kids, it wasn't long ago when I had summer jobs, inside a nice office.
>>
>>686330

Tree surgeon, can't wait for summer, I'm sick of wet ropes
>>
>>686368
Lol, its not high school 2.0. Enjoi flipping burgers with your no experience degree
>>
>>686371
>your a bug guy
>>
Yup, now I just have to wait until May. The next three months are going to be loooong
>>
>>686371
can I intern for you?
>>
File: Holy_Hill.jpg (835 KB, 2048x1289) Image search: [Google]
Holy_Hill.jpg
835 KB, 2048x1289
How realistic is the dream of becoming a ranger in a national park?
Or any largeish park or forest, doesn't have to be that cool.
>>
>>686330
I'm Kanye.

- Ye
>>
>>686428
for you.
>>
File: ay lmaoo.webm (420 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
ay lmaoo.webm
420 KB, 480x270
>>686464
I run a company with my dad, we're both autistic as fuck.

you wouldn't fit in.
>>
>>687743

Where do you think we are?
>>
I work in a lab. Summer is something to be watched through windows.
>>
I'm a student, but I make money doing odd jobs and modeling. Hoping to get an internship at a nearby wildlife refuge!

Or just earn some scholarship money.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My job may suck, but at least I'm not stuck in a cubicle all day.

That being said, I'm not looking forward to summer. This weather right now is beautiful.
>>
Solar installation

>on a roof all day with headphones on
>>
>>687731

IIRC, you need a Bachelors minimum to be a ranger. Some want law enforcement experience.
>>
>>688399
Oh I plan on going to college, I'm an HS senior.
Bachelor's in what? Forestry? Environmental science?
>>
Fuck all of you, I am a chef, and I'm writing this after a specialy shity shift so I just wanna an hero now. Your jobs are awesome.
>>
>>686394
But I already have actual job experience in my field...

You should not put your summer jobs on your resume unless you are applying for junior positions.

I know things are different in Ameripoverty lands though. You don't get your first degrees until your late mid 20s, then have to work your debt off.
>>
>>688423
But at least all you guys just smoke weed and do heroin to make it not so bad. Or at least drink a bunch.
>>
>>688439
Stories about drug abuse are exaggerated, people like that don't last long. Of course there is a lot more substance abuse than in other fields but not as much as it is believed. Shity job really, over blown and hip of the moment for wannabe badasses.
>>
>>686330
I'm a farmer.
>>
Was working as a Flags person with a very shitty qubuec company this past summer (fucking quebecers think they are king shit talking in French about us flaggers) it had nice scenery, gotta love Labrador for that, but I don't think I'll be working for those Francophone fucks again… plus, 80+ hours/week for 3 weeks on and 1 off will break your body, especially after a week or three of 16 hour shifts
>>
>>688421
Natural resource management
>>
>>686330
Last few years I was a gardener at city park. It was the best. Nothing but compliments from grateful people all day and the work was super chill. This year I'm doing landscape construction with a different company. It's harder work but pays better. I'd recommend either if your an /out kind of person.
>>
>>688594
That sounds easy
>>
>tfw the only /out/ jobs here involve standing on the back of a hay rack

Still 1000x better than flipping burgers though. The last two summers I worked for a local pioneer farm, lots of nigger work, but also some good times slacking off in the back field eating wild raspberries and bitching about mosquitoes.
>>
>>688598
What companies would do that? I'm thinking about applying for something like that
>>
I work at a supermarket now (kill me) and this summer I would love to work at this organic community farm I volunteered at once. Just planting/picking/storing veggies. The only problem is it's a 30 min drive outside where I live and I don't have a car. So instead I'll probably look for an internship with the dnr or work at a running store
>>
>>688458
I never experienced cocain use until I became a cook. If you don't think your coworkers are snorting up when they take a bathroom break, you're a naive thing.
>>
>>686330

Nowhere right now. Hardly any jobs in my town unless you know someone, but at least in a few months I will be helping someone landscape for a while.

Not having a car hurts, and not living in the city hurts too. Can't get a car because no insurance (state law) and can't get insurance because no money.

It's hell.
>>
>>689815
This guy knows. I worked kitchen for far too many years long ago and I think maybe 10% at best were clean.
>>
Worked in the grounds department for a swanky private school last summer.
>hard manual labour
>shit pay
>good workmates
>fantastic food, free courtesy of the schools caterers
>2 hour paid lunch breaks with tea and a bacon sandwich everyday for elevenses

It was a great job when the weather was good, when it rained it was so fucking depressing but there was a real sense of working mans camaraderie.
>>
I work in a hospital. Indoors for 13 hours, 3 nights a week... but it's easy to schedule myself off for a week off without using any PTO each month. Allows for some outdoors fun pretty regularly.
>>
>>686330
I was going to work at a BSA Summer Camp like I've been doing for the past 5 years. I've heard jack shit so far about being hired this year, but my brother got a one line email from some company we'd never heard of telling him is application he wasn't hired. Apparently the Council that owns the camp decided to outsource everything which means nobody who has worked in a position that matters at the camp in the past is going to be rehired. There were rumors of it last year, but we thought the plan had been dropped due to being fucking retarded. I'd thought the matter was completely dead this year when we did interviews where they acted like we were going to be rehired. I'd be less mad if they'd outright told us to fuck off. The thing that really gets me though is that this outsourcing is going to kill 65 years worth of traditions.

My old boss is doing hiring for a different camp, but it's farther away and I'm unsure at this point if it would be worth it.
>>
>>686330
We've built a small family farm.
It has many advantages, but the work never ends, and good help is hard to find.
You might be able to find work on one near you, but expect barter more than money for pay (ie, helping raise your food rather than buying it)
>>
I work all year round at a car wash, but in the summer when I'm not busy with school I work at a cemetery doing groundskeeping/landscaping, machinery maintenance, some small-scale construction, and digging graves/burying the deceased. It's a surprisingly physical job, but the only real downside is that I always smell like gasoline when I go home.
>>
Worked for a flower company over the last two summers, but I'm taking summer courses this year so don't know if I'll have time.
>>
>live in Las Vegas
>stayed with grandparents in rural NJ last summer
>was desperate to get some greenery in
>applied to local farmstands and flower farm for summer work
>no takers
>ended up getting a job at a 7-11 instead

At least it was at the foot of a scenic forested hill range with a nice horse stable nearby, so I got some glimpses of nature while cleaning up outside. Also did a ton of hiking and foraging. I don't know about this summer, I want to keep my options open.
>>
>>686330
I'm a Ph.D. candidate specializing in ecology. My study area and work takes me from Arizona to South Carolina.
>>
I work at an animal shelter. No as much /out/ time as I thought; assumed I'd spend a good portion of the day walking dogs, but it's mostly indoor work. The volunteers walk the dogs in nice weather, and when it's rainy or bitter out is when I get to be outside.
>>
Solar Panel Installer. Good pay or a GED tard 16/an hour. Spend lots of time /out. Learn about solar panels which will facilitate the /out dream someday. Pretty autistic about heights though anon, that's why they hired me. The company burns through people real quick because heights. I just channel my inner /k and imagine I'm doing some operator training and get through it.
>>
File: image.jpg (272 KB, 2160x1440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272 KB, 2160x1440
Fly one of these. Good schedule most of the time. Enough for a few days out
>>
>>688421
I'm a sophomore in college. This is my plan. I'm going for environmental science. It's pretty fun as long as youre prepared to be involved in social justice type stuff along with conservation. I was surprised how much things like fair trade and environmental justice come into play but I'm all about it now
>>
>>690731
Honestly I'm pretty conservative/almost kind of far right ish but not really but I feel very strongly towards environmental rights and I'm totally cool with eco-ter***ism so I'll probably be fine
>>
Just applied for a job as a camp handy at a fishing lodge on Kodiak Island. $5k for two months work, wish me luck /out/.
>>
>>688090
No no no he's serious. You wouldn't fit in at all.
>>
File: wellater.jpg (983 KB, 1792x1079) Image search: [Google]
wellater.jpg
983 KB, 1792x1079
>>
>working
>not living in a tent in nature reserves on welfare.
>>
>>686330

Farmer

So, I'm always /out/.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.