[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 20
File: 10x10lc.jpg (766 KB, 2765x2074) Image search: [Google]
10x10lc.jpg
766 KB, 2765x2074
LC Thread One

Hello /out/. I would like to take you all on a journey with me, more similar to that of a joint project that I will dedicate to this board and effectively archive.

With winter ending, salt levels are slowly decreasing on this board, so I thought it would be a good time to introduce the idea.
I am starting to plan the building of an off the grid log cabin.

I am buying land in an area where I can effectively hunt, grow plants, fish, and do other /out/ related activities. This will be in the northeastern united states. I will be using the cabin as a weekend getaway from busy city life.

About me ..

I have been a lurker on /out/ for 2 years now and this is my first ever post. There is no other place id rather get advice from than /out/, i know that there are people here that will put me in the right direction.

My /out/ experience is not great but I am ready to learn. Id like to get back to nature, starting with the basics. Ive been learning how to handle fire arms, start and build fires, chop down trees properly, etc etc. I am physically fit and will be purchasing an out vehicle by the end of the year ( currently own a 2005 chevy astro, going to buy an old ford pickup ) Funds aren’t a problem for this project but i still want to make it an honest and genuine project from scratch.

When all is said and done I would like to dedicate something on my property to the members of /out/ who helped me on this journey.

Basically every thread i decide to create, I would like to take valuable information from anons and use it towards my log cabin project in the future. As long as i get one useful idea or tip per thread i make, then it is successful.

Currently heading to a rugby match but I will be back this evening to check back on this thread. I know there is a lot of good people on /out/ so I’m looking forward to this. Thanks!

This is Anon Mick reporting for duty.
>>
Last thing; pic related is a cabin made by a youtuber, there are many faults in it but i don't think its a bad base idea. any comments on it? the link to the video is ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkml0yavPvA
>>
What sort of info are you looking for mate?
>>
>>685376
I am probably much younger than you, but I'm planning to do this once I get a bit older and have more funds
>>
Do it right the first time you don't want to have to repair a collapsed roof with 4 ft of snow ontop of you or something stupid
>>
>>685376
>salt levels are slowly decreasing on this board

I guess you haven't read the comments from the "important, productive, six figure manager guy" in the cheap backpacking meals thread yet.
>>
>>685376

My advice would be to keep your chevy astro.

It would make a fine vehicle for your project unless you want to keep it in great condition and don't want to beat on it.
>>
Learn how to properly fell trees wuth a chainsaw, while doing it by hand is a fun idea its incredibly time consuming
Along with this comes learning general chainsaw maitnence and safety, if you haven't ever touched a chainsaw before try to avoid putting the tip of the saw into the tree , to avoid kickback etc, practice making strait clean cuts etc

Learn when to drop trees for ideal conditions
In the spring trees are growing and it makes it easier for you to strip the bark from them for your cabin (bark can lead to early rot) in the fall it can sometimes be almost impossible to strip bark cleanly and effectively

Other then that nothing I can think of off the top of my head, draw up a general layout so you know what you're doing and make up a list of all the tools /materials you are going to need

If you have any specific questions ask away I have 3-4 years of construction experience and 1.5-2.5 years of working with a tree company handling chainsaws etc

I'm by no means an expert on either but I know some stuff
>>
Cabins are neat, but my area is too wet/humid and has too many termites for them to be practical here. When I worked for a general contractor for several years we had to replace the lower logs on several cabins that were ~20 years old due to rot and termites. It is a pain in the ass to do it (you have to jack the entire side of the cabin up a bit to remove the bad logs and then put new logs in and tie them in to the existing structure) and was very expensive for the homeowners. I like the aesthetics and the general idea behind cabins but I'll never own one due to the problems that I've personally seen with them. In other areas where rot and termites aren't as much of a concern then they're great though.
>>
File: otg_sso.png (302 KB, 462x361) Image search: [Google]
otg_sso.png
302 KB, 462x361
>>685376
I could point you to a really good book I read that goes into detail on building a small cabin and the like with a solar energy setup, something I may plan on using in the future.
http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/offthegridebookorder.htm
Good luck.
>>
are you going MGTOW?
>>
Good luck Anon Mick. Hoping this thread continues to be updated and that you make solid progress as those more knowledgeable about this topic than myself.

My dad's family has about 100 acres in Virginia and when he was in school he lived there. There was already an old, early 1800's house on the property, but he built a large barn with an apartment on the land as well. He said the same thing another poster mentioned... Do it right the first time and don't take shortcuts or you might end up paying dearly for it.

Also, if you're thinking about buying an old truck, brush up on your car maintenance/repair. Older trucks are easier to work on that newer cars with far more technology and being able to keep your truck running, especially up in the northeast, is vital. Cheers and good luck!
>>
>>685493
Seconded - this guy has a lot of good vids on youtube as well
>>
Has the thought of a vertical log cabin instead of tratidional horizontal log lay ever cross your mind. After all trees grow vertical this would prevent pooling of water and therefore rot.
If your gonna mess around with chainsaws it's a good idea to wear chainsaw chaps/pants. I run saw atleast 3 days a week. Chain is spinning around 13000 rpm depending on how you have it tuned. One lil slip is all it takes the Kevlar layers will pretty much stop it dead. Better then a trip to er and a bloody truck seat.
Good luck with your plans man.
>>
>>685628
Well, as long as you can keep the ends of the logs out of contact with any sort of water then a vertical layout would work I guess. Rot tends to develop on the ends of logs much quicker than in the middle because the ends of a cut log (or board, for that matter) act as a sponge that literally draws water into it.

Considerations to take when building a log cabin also depends on how long you want to actually use the structure; if it's only for a few years then you can cut many corners if you're not worried about rot or termites. If you want the structure to last for 30+ years then you'll have to take many more precautions.

As I said in: >>685487
location/climate plays a huge role in determining whether or not a traditional log cabin is a viable long-term housing solution.
>>
I have a lot of guns and IBS, I shit alot.

>Not sure which to post?
>shit or guns?
>>
OP you are living one of my dreams if you're doing this.

I've wanted to undertake such a project myself, of building a small cozy log cabin. Unfortunately I'm just an undergrad student- and building a log cabin is literally the last thing on my list.

Ever watch Dick Proenneke's "Alone in the Wilderness" movie? It's the single best video I've ever seen about building a log cabin and skill and taking in all the beauty of nature.

I forgot where I saw the full version, but you can watch an extract of it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

looking forward to seeing you progress
you wouldn't happen to be part of the Northwest Front movement now would you?
>>
>>685384
Just some general advice to start with!
>>685446
im 19 years old , undergrad student
>>685467
thats the plan lad! going to do a lot of research and prep
>>685478
haha no i actually saw him, don't feed the trolls !
>>685481
i love my chevy astro, my favorite car to drive around in i will be keeping it as well!
>>685482
yeah the plan is to find the perfect point in spring to knock the trees so that stripping is easy and painless, then spray the stripped logs with a bleach/vinegar solution to prevent mold growth , and make sure they are covered and not sitting on the ground, they require at least a year to dry out before using them in construction. Im in the process of the list/layout. i will def ask you for help in the future!
>>
>>685487
the area is in the catskills region of new york. 4 seasons , winter very cold, summer reasonably hot, spring/fall moderate. i would use every summer for full maintenance on the cabin. i don't want it to be excessively big, kinda similar to the one pic related!
>>685493
cheers lad!
>>685526
what does mgtow mean?
>>685574
the threads will continue , maybe spaced out but thats just because i have to take time to plan etc. I'm not going to pull any shortcuts on this i definitely want it to last. i have quite a few friends who are good with older vehicles / mechanics in general so that shouldn't be an issue!
>>685623
ill def give it a look!
>>685628
i will definitely have to learn how to safely use one, i don't want to just jump into it and get myself hurt so good advice. thanks man will keep you all updated! also can you post a pic of your idea?
>>685633
if you paint the ends of the logs it doesn't allow moisture to come in, at least thats what I've seen in videos! upstate new york has a funny climate , what do you think?
>>686047
I'm definitely doing this i just have to spend time planning, the thing is I'm also an undergrad student! its just something id like to get started on over the next year or so. ill check out those videos! no no, this is an independent project!
>>
Nice idea OP and good luck. Awesome video related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3J5wkJFJzE
>>
>>686085
>I've lurked for 2 years
>not a clue what mgtow is

Get a load of this faggot
>>
File: lumberjacking.jpg (89 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
lumberjacking.jpg
89 KB, 600x480
>>685376
I won't claim to know much, but don't forget the very first step, foundation. You won't be dealing with shrink-swell clays or earthquakes that far east, but a sturdy structure needs a sturdy start.

If you're planning on cutting your own lumber for the place you'll want cant hooks and draw knives. As someone mentioned earlier staving off rot in the wood will be a major concern, and if you're doing this all alone you'll appreciate the cant hooks for moving the heavy logs around.

I don't know how rustic you want to be in your process of manufacture, but a couple coats of polyurethane over the peeled logs will help them keep a little longer, at the expense of a shiny coat on them which can be aesthetically displeasing to some.

If there isn't an abundance of moss nearby you'll want something to chink the logs with.

Also, some things that many people overlook when getting into lumber work. You'll want several pairs of thick leather gloves. You don't need a whole lot of dexterity for most lumber moving, so don't get the thin walmart ones. You'll also want a set of steel toed boots. Inevitably logs will find their way to your fragile toes, and if you're planning on working in the winter you'll want boots that can fit a thick liner.

A good dog at your side can also make miracles. You don't realize how helpful it is to have them there until you don't, they'll make monotonous work a little more entertaining. Also they can be trained to help haul firewood.

pic related, my brother and I years ago when trees blew across the road out and my dad forgot his chainsaw
>>
File: log dog.jpg (90 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
log dog.jpg
90 KB, 800x533
Excuse the shitty shop in the middle, but my father's a photographer so I removed his watermark.

I trained Rosie to help me haul firewood, she still thinks it's a game.
>>
>>686089
Thanks anon! gonna try my best.
>>686091
i want to hug you
>>686093
very good advice! i will have 3-4 friends willing to help me on this project so i have some manpower, but tool experience is minimum. the land i purchase , do you think it is important that they have an abundance of good timber? Im thinking of buying an irish wolfhound or irish terrier once the projects starts. it will be fun to see how they grow as the construction progresses. you and your bro look badass haha.
>>686096
dude thats the goal right there what a legend of a dog!
>>
File: swag dog.jpg (28 KB, 467x467) Image search: [Google]
swag dog.jpg
28 KB, 467x467
>>686107
You'll definitely want an abundance of timber if you're planning on building from wood on sight. You'll want more trees than you think, since you'll need firewood for years to come as well as the lumber for construction, and you don't want to clear cut your property making it look bad. You'll want maybe 20-30x the amount of trees it takes to build your cabin around for these reasons.

And yeah, I teach her all sorts of tricks. She'll wear sunglasses for half an hour.
>>
>>686107
What state are you planning on building in, I have construction experience (normal timber framing) and chainsaw experience, (dropping/felling medium trees and firewood processing) and a strong work ethic
While I have no direct log cabin experience I'd be glad to help and I'm relitivley cheap labor
>>
>>686117
very good tip! thank you and that dog is awesome haha what breed?
>>686124
new york ! yourself?
>>
>>686134
I'm in ct 19 years old aswell, been looking to build on some land but poorfag honestly, even if I can't build a cabin for myself I'd be glad to help with yours
>>
>>686135
You'd be more then welcome too! I'd appreciate the extra hands at a not too bad expense. Leave a contact email for future reference !
>>
>>686173
[email protected]
Wish I would be able to say I'd do it for free but I won't be able to since I have no money in the first place
But for food and a little cash I'd be glad to do it
>>
>>686275
I'll be in touch! -mick
>>
>>686307
Sounds good
-Nick
>>
>>686316
Hahahaha sounds good, lick
>>
>>686134
Yellow lab
>>
>>685376
idiot left the bark on
>>
>>686739
i notice that. he only did it because it was a quick project he did on church owned land,usually you'd have to strip and season the logs.

>>686513
pretty neat!
>>
Thanks to everyone who's been posting in this thread. ill keep it going for as long as i can checking multiple times daily, take down all the necessary info that i can, archive , and make a new one when relevant! keep up the chat if you can!

anon mick
>>
>>687416
bump
>>
File: squirrel.gif (714 KB, 320x298) Image search: [Google]
squirrel.gif
714 KB, 320x298
This has been something I've wanted to do for a long time anon I want to do it somewhere in the upper peninsula of Michigan you are a good man
>>
>>687450
Ah thanks ! Want to explain your idea? Cheers anon
>>
You should check out a book series called the foxfire book. The first one is what you need.

The pictures are many, and detailed for the 70s. The chapters not seen from pic on the next page are
PLANTING BY THE SIGNS home remedies HUNTING moonshing as a fine art FAITH HEALING and a few more.

U won't be disappointed if u get the hard copy
>>
>>685628

Dumb idea. Theres a reason ALL log cabins are built with horizontal lengths of timber.

Two very good reasons being:

- Water ingress through the ends is faster so if you're putting them stump in it's going to rot way faster.

- How do you expect to finish the corners?

Honestly...
>>
>>687671
but anon, for centuries and centuries there have been fortifications, motte and baily outposts, and stockades built successfully with vertical log walls, when they easily could have made them horizontal. are you second-guessing roman engineers? how do you splain that?
>>
>>685376
Is there road/track access to where you are going to be building or is it somewhat more remote than that?
>>
>>685376
My advice to you would be to forget the log cabin for the time being and maybe think about building a sectional building, you could build the panels year round under cover and bolt them together when the time comes, it also means you only need minimal crew, you could rough in the foundations and toilet system in the first year and by the time the second year comes around you would have all your panels ready to go.

Somewhere on YT there is a video of a guy building four foot panels in a single car garage which he then stores and bolts together before wrapping and siding it.
>>
>>687685
I love motte and Baily forts, I've visited the remains of a couple over the years, but the amount of earth anon would have to move would be difficult for a single person to do unless he can get machinery.

A better defensive idea would be something like a medieval style tower house, these were often built from local river stones/boulders which anon may be able to source from his own land or public land if he is sneaky, all he would need is sand, water and cement to make mortar.

A log cabin or sectional building are probably the easiest option (a shipping container home would also serve well) but they are not that defensible from even small arms, a fifty cal rifle would make short work of either.
>>
>>687692
>fifty cal

Even smaller, a .308 (which is a pretty commonly found round) would go through shipping containers and log cabins like butter.

But then again, I don't think OP is looking to fight off the huns. Guy probably just wants a nice comfy little home.
>>
>>687685

He intended it for a cabin, not a defensive wall.
>>
>>685493
Ha, that's my padres book.
>>
>>687666
I will check it out!
>>687686
I assume there will be at least a path which I can fit vehicles through!
>>687689
I'm not really following the idea could you explain it further?
>>687801
The goal is somewhere I can get a bit back to nature. Nice little log cabin, strong wood stove, out house, maybe a few solar panels down the road ( not even sure on that ) . A place where I can go at night, sit in the loft , have a kerosene oil lamp and a few good /out/ books and find myself again. I want to put my iPhone down, escape the business world on the weekends , and have my own almost , wilderness homestead :)
>>
>>688077
bump
>>
File: shelters-shacks-and-shanties.jpg (51 KB, 396x528) Image search: [Google]
shelters-shacks-and-shanties.jpg
51 KB, 396x528
>>688077
Get this books. It's first pages cover survival shelters, but half the book is dedicated to building actual log houses, and it's great.
>>
>>688334
thanks anon! any other tips?
>>
>>688340
>any other tips?
I never built a log cabin, so I don't have any hands on advice for you.
>>
>>688343
Bump
>>
>>688541
bump
>>
File: Oldcrap.jpg (3 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
Oldcrap.jpg
3 MB, 5000x5000
>>685376
I posted this on /diy/ a while back ago.

basically the TL:DR version.

historic house some company bought the land of. had to keep the house, basically put it on a truck and moved it across the street, and left it there to rot. the house sits on wetlands basically right near a lake. and besides them fucking up the house by not leveling it when they moved it, it would of lasted a lot longer.

the largest beams in the roof are only 8 inches wide. [measured] the total length of the place is roughly measured to 48x46 feet.

hope it gives you some ideas.
>>
>>688642
that looks pretty neat! Any more pics?
>>
>>689489
bump
>>
>>689529
bump
>>
>>688642
bump
>>
File: colorado_log_cabin.jpg (65 KB, 600x522) Image search: [Google]
colorado_log_cabin.jpg
65 KB, 600x522
Does anyone have experience with purchasing land in scandinavia?

I would like to buy a plot of land in the middle of nowhere and build a cabin on it, but most of the offered land is just part of some holiday housing villages..

Has anybody in Europe done this?
>>
>>689550
that cabin in pic looks awesome. my mom found a pair of deer antlers in ireland when she was young , she was swimming in what they call a seasonal lake, my uncle has it and i want to get it back to put it on my cabin lol.

no experience with that.. try looking more out in the wild/a few hours drive from major cities
>>
>>689563
Boomp
>>
>>689550
im trying right now to buy myself a house in the countryside in sweden, i allready looked at 19 different houses/Propertys, ask me anything i guess
>>
>>687416
>>687446
>>688331
>>688541
>>688609
>>689529
>>689530
>>689535
>>689660

Stop this bullshit, /out/ is an extremely slow board, there is no need to bump your thread all the time. If you're gonna do that then at least post a picture of a cool cabin or something instead of just posting "bump".
>>
>>689713
Where in sweden?
>>
>>689730
hey mate, i don't think its a big deal. relax yourself bud. I'm new to 4chan and don't know all the "social expectations". I don't know when a thread disappear or how to archive it properly. Still learning the ropes
>>
>>690468
might i rather say, new to posting in 4chan.
>>
File: Solotand-T1.jpg (75 KB, 695x452) Image search: [Google]
Solotand-T1.jpg
75 KB, 695x452
>>690468
don't pay any attention to him, he is just an angry MGTOW
>>
>>690473
cheers anon! bump may i say
>>
>>685376
19 years old and you could afford that?
>>
>>689848
im looking in skåne, you can fiend an old farm with a couple of hectar fuer less than 100k
>>
>Id like to get back to nature, starting with the basics. Ive been learning how to handle fire arms
>>
>>690853
Another anon here, stop bumping please ffs, it's not necessary!
>>
>>691059
but it also does not hurt anything
>>
>>690996
pic related would be a few grand, not including land purchase, maintenance , etc. I've been bartending since 16/17, have a few dollars put aside.
>>691023
thats impressive
>>691043
handling firearms is something id like to learn anyway.enlisting with marine reserves in a few years.
>>691059
if it sits at page 4-9 will anyone bump it? the only reason I've bumped ( besides the last one lol) is just to keep it off the last few pages of /out/ so it doesn't go off the deep end. thanks for being polite about it unlike anon A
>>
>>690996
also im 20 soon, and I'm not building this just yet. just planning.
>>
>>691023
Skåne is one of the most expensive area for land in sweden, and that price sounds lows, if you are talking SEK atleast.
>>
>>691287
no im talking dollar allready. and yeah its rather expensive here, but i also Think its very nice here

link related;
http://www.hemnet.se/bostad/villa-4rum-angelholms-kommun-brekillevagen-186-7851415
>>
File: 1449264133436.jpg (95 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1449264133436.jpg
95 KB, 900x600
>>689713
Why Sweden and not Norway or Finnland?

My tendency is towards Norway because they appear to have a more conservative government (see refugee crisis), and they are not part of the EU. There also appears to be more mountains. Finnland would have been interesting because they are not part of the NATO. Those are personal political preferences, what is your opinion on this?

Any Anons want to chip in with Pro's / Con's for either state? Land owner taxes? Cabin building permits?

Im German FYI
>>
File: 1440346463971.jpg (285 KB, 1280x874) Image search: [Google]
1440346463971.jpg
285 KB, 1280x874
>>691721
What do you plan on doing with it?

I like the "courtyard" style setup, but it might be a bit too close to that road (depending on how well-traveled it is).
>>
you might want to consider getting a setup for a chainsaw mill and cutting the wood into timbers or rough dimensional lumber for construction rather than going full log on log.
>>
>>691748
Politically sweden is the worst of all nordics. Finlands laws are generally less restrictive and land is a bit cheaper there.

Norway is marginally more mountainous than sweden, but sweden is much bigger with more flat land. Norway is basically only mountains.

Pic related, the scandinavian mountains
>>
>>691721
Id advice not moving to sweden as it is right now. Its really not a good place anymore.
Especially as an american its a downgrade in most ways, unless you like socialism i guess.
>>
File: chicken.jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
14 KB, 259x194
>>691748
im german too, my gf is Swedish
i dont care too much about politics as long everybody leaves me alone and do my thing,

>>691750
i mainly plan to Life there, I allready have some chickens and wouldnt mind some sheeps or more birds, maybe open a workshop,
im allready butchering a bit, but im not sure about this (lots of rules for making food)
location aint so bad, i Think, But i wouldnt post link of something im actually trying to buy

>>691786
politics are changing right now as we speak

>>691801
allready here mate, and it aint so bad

pic somewhat related
>>
>>685376
How much are you spending OP? and how much land will you get? Im thinking about doing the same but only living there during the summer.
>>
>>691873
The previous poster to yours posted SIX WHOLE MINUTES before your bump. Will you fuck off with your shit.
>>
>>691905
bump
>>
>>691914
On second thoughts, bump away, the quicker this thread will reach post limit and drop off by itself...
>>
>>685376
bump
>>
there really isn't any reason to bump more than once a day on this board, family

just an idea: have you considered the traditional building types of other regions with similar climates? like the russian dachas
>>
>>692075
Ok ill just bump once a day then. Bump.

Ill look into the dachas
>>
OP have you watched "Alone In The Wilderness"?

Pretty good documentary about a guy named Dick Proenneke. He retired and moved to twin lakes alaska and built his own log cabin and lived there for like 38 years. Check it out, he goes into some nice detail about building the cabin.
>>
File: 4634988936_c7bdd17d7e (1).jpg (177 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
4634988936_c7bdd17d7e (1).jpg
177 KB, 500x375
>>692514
Pretty sure OP already said he is not going MGTOW
>>
>>692544
Sure, but Proenneke didn't do what he did because he was "redpilled on women" or some shit.

Besides, the documentary is pretty good when it shows how you build a cabin. He describes the planning, the construction, and the process.
>>
>>691748
If refugees are your main concern then Norway is equally fucked as Sweden. And Norway is basically a non-voting EU member. And since you are in /out/ Sweden offers the best /out/ experience with allemansrätten.

For any larger cabin in Sweden you need building permits. If it's close to a lake you probably wont get a permit. Then the building codes requires you to deal with sewage. I'd recommend buying a property with a house/cabin already on the premises.
>>
>>685378
>logs not debarked
what the fuck
>>
>>692900
and you just use a das instead of a "real" toilet?
>>
Bump it
>>
>>693269
Yes you can use a "dass" or "utedass". You most likely need to apply at your local municipality for being allowed to take care of the latrine on your property. Some municipalities wont allow you to do that and will collect the latrine.
>>
Man I'm cracking up. This is OP here and some people are bumping for me ( I'm not complaining , it's the funniest shit I've ever seen and has me chuckling at 2:32 am ) thank you for the smiles you have put on my face :) but anyways guys I've been doing a bit of hiking in Ireland in my free time and just took a trip to Glasgow there. I'll be back in this thread soon to discuss more and to show some pictures. Btw ; I think I'd like to have a simple out house, i haven't made a decision on a water system yet, or maybe a back boiler to the stove. Still fumbling with ideas in my mind. Anyone here , mick op imposters, anyone at all, feel free to discuss ideas! *also to join the fun, were gonna hit it with that BUMP. Haha love you guys /out/. Mixture of good hearted trolls, salty spatoons, and Canadian lumberjacks <3
>>
>>692544
also I will definitely look into that! What is MGTOW or whatever they're saying ? Lol
>>
>>691874
Possibly 20-40 on land, 5-10 on an /out/ approved ford pick up, and maybe 5 max on the cabin itself.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 244x207) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 244x207
Is a fire place realistic in a cabin? Would a good wood stove be better?
I'd like something I could use to cook.
>>
>>694676
No, its uneconomical and bad to cook in. Get some old cast iron stove atleast.
>>
>>693973
how much land will you get then?
>>
>>694676
Mama Bear woodstove and a propane oven.... all you will ever need
>>
>>694688
It will be up in the Catskills in New York. A few acres at minimum, however I will have to spend a good amount of time looking at different pieces of land. Any tips?
>>
>>694689
Can you explain that a bit more for me? Why is it more efficient
>>
>>694685
That last post was meant for you as well !
>>
>>694775
aaaah, the fun part. I've got over 300 parcels selected now but I'm looking for something very specific.

Get a realtor you trust and tell them exactly what you want and where you're willing to go outside of exactly what you want.

After you have parcels selected it's all road trips. and shitloads of notes, and pictures, and heartbreak if something you like gets sold.
>>
>>694800
What are you looking yourself? I'll definitely take that advice. I can't wait to take this project on
>>
>>694889
10-30 acres with some type of frontage but not flood plane for building site.
Frontage can be pond, lake, river
last option is brook through property but that would be an extreme exception.
Very fixed priced and location. I have to shift around a few assets so I'm liquid but I have 4 I really like and lost 1 I loved.

Then going to do what you're talking, about $5k for some type of cabin, solar for basic electricity, I don't need much to start.
Eventually I'd like to perc, septic, full electric and build house but am also 110% fine with it remaining cabin/off gridish.

Land has to be hunt-able & fish-able, clearing for small garden would be good.
>>
>>694958
We are very similar in ideas! I'm so torn between off grid , and some of your ideas. I'm not 100% sure exactly what to do yet. When building this cabin , since it's going to be out in the wilderness of upstate New York , do you think it would be required of me to do it fully according to code? Obviously if I had full preference I wouldn't look for any sort of building permit or planning permission if it wasn't 100% necessary, as I doubt there would be any inspections of land by local authority , however I'm not sure if I'd want to risk it after putting in all the work. I feel like I wouldn't be able to build it the way I want too if I have to go through the government regulations.
>>
>>695040
If you are here asking questions, then you have a long way to go, but motivation is the foundation of everything.
>>
>>695040
Something like lillevillausa for initial structure. This is a little higher $ than I'm looking to spend but it's an idea.
>>
>>685478
Kek'd at that guy. I just thought he was overflow from /b/ shitposting.
>>
>>695444
the way i look at it, since i have the funds time is my only other obstacle. I'm prepared to make big decisions though. currently living in ireland, but moving back to new york. thanks for the kind words and good advice anon
>>
Bamp
>>
There is no need to bump, this place is slow.
There is not much more to say about this unless you advance your plans.
>>
>>697495
bump tho
>>
>>687416
>>687446
>>688331
>>688541
>>688609
>>689529
>>689530
>>689535
>>689660
>>691873
>>691914
>>692007
>>692508
>>693284
>>693288
>>696788
>>696800
>>697485
>>697516
Are you wildcats making some kind of a hip hop song that you rascals listen to nowadays?
>>
>>685376
do you have experience with starvation lmao
>>
>>697537
You can survive for 2-3 weeks without food
>>
>>685376
>>685378
that rustled dick proenneke's ashes
>>
this is the original anon here. the bumps aren't me anymore, its the overflow from b lol. i will advance with my plans, other anon, but I'm in ireland at the moment and moving back to new york in may.
>>
>>698165
>>698873
>>699030
cunt
>>
>>699139
MGTOW power bump to generate male feminist outrage
>>
>>687685
>tfw i will never have a walled fort to live in.
I can just imagine it. Waking up in my cozy small hut, walking outside to collect fresh eggs for breakfast, heading into the forest to hunt, and then bringing the kill back to the walls to roast on the fire while I hammer out some new blades on the anvil. Then I whittle and carve wood for the rest of the day while i drink mead and sing.

Ever since I found the orc camps on skyrim I've wanted this.
>>
Meninist bumpeer
>>
Bumping for justice
>>
Bamp
>>
>>699939
op here. that sounds awesome. i was in donegal recently, north west ireland, and was shown the original homestead from the early 1800s made by my great great grandfather and his family. sturdy structure of stone using lime/sand/water mixture to hold it together. thatched roof which has long since withered, and small windows because the bigger the windows were the higher you'd be taxed. the neighbors ( mom dad and 4-5 children all died one by one by tb.. as did my great great grandfathers first wife whom my family line would come from. ) ill take pics of the structure next time I'm down there. its about 100-150 yards away from the ocean and boy is it beautiful..
>>
>>691748
>>691786
Finland is for Finns. Foreigners must stay out.
>>
Bumps
>>
>>685376

>ford pickup
>rugby match

Are you Merrican or English? If you're English then surely you'd know that Land Rovers are the God Tier /out/ vehicles. You can still haul shit around in the back of them but they're much, much more hardy than Fords.
>>
>>701473
Sure pekka, what about Fennoswedes?
>>
>>701933
based on what? citation needed
>>
>>692900
>Sweden offers the best /out/ experience with allemansrätten.
Sweden, Norway and Finland all have the "Freedom to roam" (allemannsretten). It's not exclusive to Sweden.
Norway has lots of mountain area, Sweden has lots of forest area. I think when you're chosing between these two areas it just depends on if you want to be a mountain man or a forest man.
Nordic countries tend to copy each others laws and systems. So when you're living and /out/ lifestyle here it practically doesn't matter which side of the border you're in as far as laws and regulations go. If you go from a rural place in Norway to a rural place in Sweden, it's a possibility the experience is identical in both places.
>>
>>703323

Multiple armies and armed forces across the globe. Landrovers are designed for rugged combat, not cruising around wasting fuel in a cabin filled with retail-grade plastic.
>>
How are you gonna learn about building a loghouse?
>>
>>706030
Insanely over priced, has an awful reputation for reliability in the US. Consumes more fuel than than an equivalent F150, which costs half the price, has great parts availability, and does not require a specialist mechanic. Also British electrical systems in cars are god awful.
>>
File: assemble.jpg (962 KB, 2577x1485) Image search: [Google]
assemble.jpg
962 KB, 2577x1485
free home.,, BLM hills, twodays building,, 18 days living,,, tree hours burning.
>>
>>694676
yeah i wouldn't do a fireplace. i have a wood stove in my kitchen/dining room and a fireplace in my living room. the only reason we ever use the fire place is if it's REALLY fucking cold i light both and it gets the livingroom to a better temperature quicker.
>>
>>706610
go back to /n/
>>
Bumper
>>
>>703307
Not in my opinion. They're nothing but harm.
>>
>>706569
>Insanely over priced
If you're from Africa

>Awful reputation for reliability in the US
Citation needed

>Consumes more fuel than F150
Pure bullshit. F150s come in V6 or v8. That uses less fuel than a 4 cylinder?
Source: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

>Landrovers need special mechanics
lolwut pure bullshit again.

>British electrics bad
It's not the 1970s mate, and Landrovers were never made by British Leyland.

I think you need to get off your couch every now and then.

You Americans are in love with your jacked up fuel wasting "big boy" tonkas, and like everything else you'll defend your bad choices as if the rest of the world is wrong.
>>
>>709063
>American here

Land Rovers are dope and do dope shit.
Average Americats are stupid and ford is fucking trash, built in America just means unreliable and shitty.
>>
File: ISpl9ro7cx8grw1000000000.jpg (305 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ISpl9ro7cx8grw1000000000.jpg
305 KB, 1024x768
>you will never own a large A frame in the Rocky Mountains

Why even live?
>>
>>711442

Ford's are literally built in America, meaning assembled. Most of their line's parts come from their child company Mazda though which is made in China, Taiwan, and Mexico. It's so fucking ironic when my Grandpa drives his $70K Ford talking to me about Mexicans stealing jobs. I rub the dashboard and chuckle to myself.
>>
Bamp
>>
>>711485
not an A frame but still
http://www.lonepinerealty.com/HOMES/770538/770538.html
>>
>>711624
>http://www.lonepinerealty.com/HOMES/770538/770538.html

>0.25 acres

It best be adjacent to a National Forest or fuck that shit. I would need at least 10 acres to fuck around on plus an adjacent NF for multiday trips, hunting, fishing, etc.
>>
Burmp
>>
>>711485
Why not? You could probably afford it if you got a good paying job
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.