[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best option that has worked for you against mosquitoes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12
File: masked_man.jpg (92 KB, 625x495) Image search: [Google]
masked_man.jpg
92 KB, 625x495
What's the best option that has worked for you against mosquitoes besides DEET?
>>
File: 600278.png (170 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
600278.png
170 KB, 500x281
>mrw i put too much DEET cream on my face
>>
File: spiderlyme.png (438 KB, 561x381) Image search: [Google]
spiderlyme.png
438 KB, 561x381
>>
>>684733
DEET is probably the best option, another would be wearing long sleeves and pants. I have a few long sleeve shirts that are very light. UV 30 proof and help keep unwanted bugs off of you.
>>
File: 61gOry+JkEL._UL1500_.jpg (113 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
61gOry+JkEL._UL1500_.jpg
113 KB, 1500x1500
>>
>>684742

If I was a brazilian woman I'd buy that right now
>>
>>684742
That guys hands are gonna be skeeter paradise
>>
File: 282805_888_41.jpg (34 KB, 428x494) Image search: [Google]
282805_888_41.jpg
34 KB, 428x494
>>684746
>>684742
my skeeter jacket came with mittens >:D
>>
Yarrow is great. It's not out here at the moment but if you can get your hands on some make some insect repellent, stronger than those nasty chemicals. Make a macerated oil by heating in a bowl over a pot of water on the stove, just cover yarrow in your chosen oil and heat for a few hours. Or fill a jar with yarrow and cover with oil, give it a shake once or twice a day and after 2 weeks you have your oil ready. Just rub a bit on when going /out/. I prefer to use a salve, just make your macerated oil and melt in some beeswax. Leave to set in containers. You could also soak it in vinegar or alcohol and fill a spray bottle. Works wonders.
>>
>>684733
I use the barrier method
I have a mosquito head net with the metal hoop inside to keep it off your face
If the netting rests against skin, they will bite you though it
I also have a hooded windbreaker that has a tight enough weave so they can't get through

I have heard good things about butane powered repellent vaporizers (thermacell), but haven't tried one
>>
>>684733
Getting smoke all over me from the campfire worked when I was 14 camping in the swamp behind my grandmothers in south east texas near the coast. Always camped when it was cooler though and they weren't as bad.
>>
>>684733
why do you not like deet? scared of "muh chemicals" in spite of 70 years of study and practical application resulting in no problems?
>>
hoodie and jeans, long heavy socks. if theyre realy bad you shouldnt be out
>>
>>684835
Who do you think funds those studies?
>>
>>684733
Weave a hat from lemongrass. Make a couple woven wristbands while you're at it. At first, your buddies are going to laugh at you for having a chick skill, but later on when the bugs come out, you can be as smug as you want.
>>
>>684811
Ditto, normally I just bear it, but for midges, black flies and swarms of mosquitoes I use the headnet.
other than that, exposed camping spot on a ridge, the wind will take care of the critters.
>>
File: zika.png (641 KB, 635x708) Image search: [Google]
zika.png
641 KB, 635x708
>>684840
>>
>>684835
>why do you not like deet?
Because in serious skeeter country DEET has to be reapplied every 15 minutes, even Ben's
>>
File: nprsprays2.jpg (61 KB, 720x583) Image search: [Google]
nprsprays2.jpg
61 KB, 720x583
>>684733
Picardin is very good, along with lemon eucalyptus oil. According to this study, there are no major adverse side effects of the recommended usage of DEET products.
http://parasitesandvectors.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1756-3305-7-173

This NPR article
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/01/30/464740275/whats-the-best-way-to-keep-mosquitoes-from-biting

cites this study
http://jinsectscience.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/1/140

for DEET alternatives.
>>
>>684853
>game
fuck i suck, i suck a fuck
>>
>>684855
No it doesn't. That's not how DEET works. Please see the studies referenced here >>684856.

>>684840
Mostly grants from non-profit groups like http://www.mosquitoresearch.org/, and larger philanthropies like the (Bill) Gates Foundation. Why do you ask?
>>
>>684733
Quite simply, on adults, DEET is the best and only acceptable option. Anything else is homeopathic, hippy mumbo jumbo, voodoo.
>>
>>684861
This guy knows
>>
>>684862
Although there aren't any widespread issues with DEET, individual allergies or sensitivities can lead to people requiring an alternative. Even just disliking the smell could lead someone to want a different product. As noted here >>684856, picardin and lemon eucalyptus oil are both as effective as DEET. Picardin in particular repels mosquitoes further than DEET, making bites even less likely.
>>
>>684862
it's the same rule as bears
go hiking camping with people that mosquitoes like better
eat tons of vitamin b for good measure
you will be the last thing they sting
>>
>>684751
Nice
>>
>>684733
wind
>>
File: newborn-baby-care5.jpg (26 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
newborn-baby-care5.jpg
26 KB, 425x282
>>684856
>>684870
slight tangent, do NOT use lemon eucalyptus oil on children under 2. essential oils can fuck little kids up.

picardin is the best option for very young children.
>>
>>684733
Don't go out at dawn or dusk as these are the times when mosquitoes are at their worst, wear long sleeves and pants as has already been said, if you are out then build a smudge fire and burn mosquito coils if you have them, try to keep away from open standing water, buy a net to sleep under.
>>
smoke the bastards out
>>
>>684856
Was gonna post the graphs from the NPR article. You beat me to it!
>>
>mfw /out/ will be the only ones without Zika
>>
>>684856
>>684861
>http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/01/30/464740275/whats-the-best-way-to-keep-mosquitoes-from-biting
>Aedes aegypti only
Other skeeters respond differently
>>
File: tickrisky.jpg (653 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
tickrisky.jpg
653 KB, 1000x750
>>684733
except for those carrying west nile virus, mosquitoes are mostly a nuisance. the greatest threat to /out/doorsmen is lyme disease, because I live in one of the worst areas for ticks outside of new england.

solution: PERMETHRIN. buy it and spray it on your hiking/camping clothes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

permethrin is not a repellent, it's an insecticide. within seconds of touching permethrin-soaked clothing, all the little fuckers die. also, it will kill cats and birds and maybe small humans, so be careful.
>>
>>684946
>Was gonna post the graphs from the NPR article.

I can't believe there are 2 retards here who trust that commie NPR propaganda
>>
File: grizzlyadamslaughsatyou.jpg (221 KB, 594x585) Image search: [Google]
grizzlyadamslaughsatyou.jpg
221 KB, 594x585
>>685416
>doesn't know that NPR only exists to whitewash capitalist oligarchy and make rich liberals feel less guilty about exploiting american peasants

picardin, eucalyptus, DEET, and permethrin are all solid choices
>>
mosquitos don't bite me for some reason.
>>
>>685416

>not trusting the Journal of Insect Science
>>
>>684835
History major here.

You are an idiot.
>>
File: ThermaCELL_holster.jpg (63 KB, 738x640) Image search: [Google]
ThermaCELL_holster.jpg
63 KB, 738x640
>>684733
>besides DEET?

These ThermaCell things actually work quite well, as long as it’s not too windy.

A buddy bought one a couple years back and I thought it was bullshit but we tested it out in my backyard and we could actually see the mosquitoes coming right at us, only for them to do a 180* and fly away when they encountered the “force field” of insect repellent dispensed by the ThermaCell gadget.

I clip it to the back of my chair when deer and turkey hunting and they don’t seem bothered by it and I’ve found it works good for clearing the tent of any mosquitoes prior to going to bed;

I unzip the tent door and tuck it around a support pole, leaving the tent wide open, then turn on the ThermaCell and leave it on my sleeping bag, while I got back to the campfire and have another beer. After about 1/2 hour or so, any mosquitoes in the tent have been driven out by the repellent and I zip up the door and turn off the gadget.
>>
Mosquito net suit + deep woods OFF however it seems that some mosquitos are attracted to the off so after a few days of getting dirty / sweaty in the bush i don't bother applying anymore and they tend to leave me alone more. of course Algonquin is full of nasty insects Deer flies, Horseflies, Blackflies and tons of mosquitoes.
>>
>>685621
there's been a lot written and said about these things in the last couple years and i'm pretty convinced at this point. they seem to have gotten really popular. might give it a try sometime tbqh
>>
>>685621

When I worked up in the mosquito-infested tundra our helicopter pilot swore by this since he would have to chill in the helicopter while we worked but also had to get in and out to fuel, clean, or stretch. After ten minutes with it on any mosquito in the helicopter would fall to the ground while flying around
>>
>>684844
>chick skill
sounds like your friends have a shaky sense of masculinity
>>
>>684919
you could fit a whole babby in one of those mosquito head nets
>>
>>685642
Yup. I also make a good share of my own gear because I can sew, and I'm a he'll of a cook. I tend to enjoy /out/ more than a lot of them because I can do things they can't.

Also, anise oil (licorice) repels mosquitoes, but also attracts bears... best used as regionally appropriate.
>>
>>684733
>>684740
>>684861
>>684862
Nothing I've used outside of 99% deet worked as effectively. You can't use Permethrin on your skin. Icaridin/picaridin is the only logical alternative to DEET, but I only saw it in one product. Supoosedly it won't melt the sunglasses to your face.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icaridin
>>
>>684919
>implying fucking little kids up is a bad thing
>>
>>685767
This is from the EPA:
>DEET is approved for use on children with no age restriction. There is no restriction on the percentage of DEET in the product for use on children, since data do not show any difference in effects between young animals and adult animals in tests done for product registration. There also are no data showing incidents that would lead EPA to believe there is a need to restrict the use of DEET.

And there you have it, repels children.
>>
>>684733
peppermint oil or lavender oil or tea tree oil diluted with water id say around 1 to 8 mixture or to your liking put it in a mist/spray bottle spray over all exposed areas available to be bitten repeat ever few hours or so. you wanna be able to smell it pretty intensely at first but it fades innawood pretty quick is the only problem but its a natural/therapeutic way to repel bugs, lavender you'll have to apply more often but is the least intense/most enjoyable, peppermint is a notch stronger, tea tree is the ultimate defense, but all would have to be applied more often/liberally then DEET good luck
>>
I mean, if you wanna go totally batshit wild... dried mud works pretty well. But I might just be one of those people mosquitoes don't like. I did it more as a joke to scare my friends when I convinced them to go /out/ with me. Be advised, people might think you're trying to have a blackface thing going.
>>
>>687408
take your holistic voodoo elsewhere. People here actually want things that work effectively.
None of these essential oils work for shit.
>source: former hippy faggot that used to believe shit like this until I grew out of it.
>>
>>684733
>What's the best option that has worked for you against mosquitoes besides DEET?
Living in a goddamn desert.
>>
>>685549
>history major
>calls others idiots

Good luck with your shitbag major. Enjoy stocking the shelves or your local grocery.
>>
that neem shit

also garlic
>>
>>685394
>within seconds of touching permethrin-soaked clothing, all the little fuckers die
Not entirely accurate, within seconds they are paralyzed by the neurotoxin. They take a couple of days to die from dehydration after that.

Also don't worry about cats with applying permethrin to clothes, you could spray them directly with the insecticide (permethrin content of between 0.5% and 1.5%) and they'd be fine, it's the tick and flea medicine designed for dogs (like K9 Advantix) that is designed to be quickly absorbed into the skin of mammals and has between 40% and 70% permethrin content that will harm or even kill them.
>>
File: voodoo001-resized-600.png (212 KB, 600x406) Image search: [Google]
voodoo001-resized-600.png
212 KB, 600x406
>>687884
if you want to criticize holistic remedies that's fine with me, but i'll be damned if i'm gonna sit here and listen to you badmouth voodoo m8
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.