[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the appeal of freeze dried foods? I mean, you have to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12
File: garbage.jpg (244 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
garbage.jpg
244 KB, 500x333
What is the appeal of freeze dried foods? I mean, you have to carry extra water to rehydrate it anyway, unless you are 100% certain to find and filter water on the trail at the inconvenience of the stream possibly being far away from your camp. Why not just carry canned foods? They are much cheaper and empty cans really don't weigh that much or take up extra space if you crush them.

Dehydrated chili + water bottle = same weight of Can of chili

I'm not talking about mashed potatoes or pastas/ramens. What's the big idea here? Is this the next biggest meme since battoning with the mora? WTF????
>>
>>684512
I think that freeze dried actually tastes better than canned plus freeze dried doesn't require you to dirty up a kettle to prepare it or a dish to serve it in. There's no cleanup required cuz you heat it and eat it from the pouch it comes in...
>>
>>684512
Because you don't carry the water, you find it /out/
However, I usually stick to cheaper stuff from the regular grocery store

>>684525
>heat it and eat it from the pouch it comes in...
This never works well at anything over 9000ft
>>
>>684529
>>This never works well at anything over 9000ft

Explain?
>>
>>684529
>This never works well at anything over 9000ft
I've eaten a few dozen freeze dried dinners between 9000 and 11000 feet and never noticed the slightest issue. The food rehydrated fine.
Could you explain why you think that it doesn't work well?
>>
>>684533
>>never noticed the slightest issue

Yeah, I'm calling BS on the supposed problems with freeze dried at over 9000'. The guy in the following article talks about his positive experience with Mountain House freeze dried meals at 16,500 feet on Mt. Aconcagua

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/mountain-house-freeze-dried-food-product-review-2/107944083
>>
>>684541
>https://www.mountainproject.com/v/mountain-house-freeze-dried-food-product-review-2/107944083
Of course he is going to say their stuff works fine when they sponsor him. There were no real negatives in that entire "review"

In my experience of eating freeze dried foods for several decades, following the instructions on the package is often insufficient for adequate re-hydration at high altitudes
This also depends on the food as some things work better than others
Pasta usually works but lentils, and some vegetables are difficult
But go ahead, try it for yourself.
>>
I like freeze dried food because it makes me feel like i'm eating in the future.

But I still get canned goods because they make decent enough battering weapons if it comes to it. With a god aim you can give a bobcat a concussion for 20ft away!
>>
>>684547 #
>>There were no real negatives in that entire "review"

Did you read the entire article? He said that there were issues with the meals which they solved by changing the amount of water used. I personally have never had any kind of negative experience with Mountain House meals except for forgetting to remove the oxygen absorber and finding it while eating.
>>
Do you only hike in deserts, anon? Most people plan out their campsites by the presence of water nearby, with a map if need be.
>>
>>684555
Those were "tips" not "negatives"
>>
FWIW - here's the guy's actual blog posts about eating MH meals at altitude:

http://jspencerv.blogspot.com.ar/2012/11/mountain-house-product-review.html

http://jspencerv.blogspot.com.ar/2012/12/mountain-house-product-review-2.html
>>
>>684572
What is this, Mountain House shill day?

One of those is the one previously posted and the other, again, was sponsored
>>
>>684577

Are you the same dipshit that said heating and eating from the pouch it comes in "never works well at anything over 9000 feet" ?

...or are you a different dipshit?

Just wondering
>>
>>684580
Do you work for Mountain House?
Note that the "reviewed" products are ones that easily re-hydrate
>no corn
>no carrots
>no lentils

I'm not the only one who thinks this:
http://blog.outdoorherbivore.com/camp-tips/cooking-dried-foods-at-high-altitude/
>>
Mountain house packages clearly state to at least double the rehydration time at altitude.

Also, heat the water longer, get it hotter than just a regular boil. If you just turn off the heat as soon as you have a boil, it won't be as hot as if you let it stay on the heat a few more min. Boiling temp of water at 10K feet is only 192 deg F. Keeping it on the heat a little longer can help bring the temp up a few more degrees, as sometimes the lower portion of the boiling water (near the hwat source)is boiling temp, but the rest of the water is slightly cooler, especially if you have a tall narrow pot.

Then rehydrate twice as long as the package says.

Works like a charm.
>>
File: 20150926_074310.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150926_074310.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Honestly I love them.

For overnighter trips or just a day or 2, they are so nice. No cleaning up a pot, and they cook quick.

They honestly taste good. Now they aren't a gourmet meal at a restaurant, but for a meal in a bag, they always surprise me how edible they are.

Backpackers pantry makes decent ones too. Also, the dollar store or grocery store bags of stuff aren't bad either. The only problem I find is they are often just "sides", so no meat and lower protein in them. Usually just some noodles and sauce, or rice and some veggies. They still taste good though. Make sure you don't get ones that you need to add butter and milk. The "just add water" ones are what you want.

Generally I'm carrying water anyways, and usually can find a source of water easy.
>>
>>684512
I imagine the appeal is for people who through hike and prescribe to Ultralight methodology, or people like me who often do trips that last close to a week, and the weight of that much canned food really adds up
>>
>>684587
Ok, so you're the same dipshit...

"Requires more hydration time" isn't the same as saying "it never works well" - if you're still having a hard time understanding this, then maybe you should go get your mommy to help explain it to you.
>>
>>684512

You need to find a source of moving water anyway for drinking. Unless you just randomly go /out/, you can plan your trip around being near to a river or stream.
>>
>>684587
did you not read your own article?
>At altitudes above 5,000 feet, backpacking meals require a longer soak time.

Yes, there are adjustments that need to be made. They are simple. If you cannot handle them, you probably shouldn't be wandering around in the backcountry anyway.

>>684512
If I'm going on a four day trip, I'm not carrying four days worth of water with me. At most, I'd have three liters, and that's only if there's a long stretch between places to refill. If you cannot figure out how to use a map to plan your trip so that you're near a water source, again, please stay out of the backcountry, rescue squads are tired of having to come save you.
>>
>>684512
>empty cans really don't weigh that much
having to carry crap out
*PRO TIP: You shouldn't baton with a Mora. Tang not thick enough. Otherwise it's a tremendous knife.
>>
File: boilingpoint.gif (4 KB, 457x252) Image search: [Google]
boilingpoint.gif
4 KB, 457x252
>>684617
>Also, heat the water longer, get it hotter than just a regular boil.
This is not how boiling works. See pic.

>>684625
I said "never works well" in response to op's
>heat it and eat it from the pouch it comes in...
If you want to soak more and cook more, the most efficient way to do this is dump the freeze dried food into a pot, which pictured in the article I posted

If you are still having a hard time reading, maybe you should take a remedial reading class
>>
I think the appeal of Mountain House for OP is that it makes excellent bait.
>>
To solve carrying extra water or wasting time to clean water from a stream, wouldn't it be ideal to suck water through a life/sawyer straw and spit it into a cup/meal bag for cooking? Anyone ever try this?
>>
>>684617
Hehe

Nice bait
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 300x219) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 300x219
>>684949
>>
File: IMG_20160130_164935.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_164935.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>9,800 @ least

No issue other than lack of salt, pepper. DIY insulation cozy helps.

>Hot fud gud fud

$39/10 ,2.5 serving meals at Costco. So tired or anons saying how expensive they are.
>>
>>684949
>Anyone ever try this?
No, no one has ever thought to rehydrate food with filtered water. Pic related totally doesnt exist.
>>
File: Picture 110.png (1 MB, 847x723) Image search: [Google]
Picture 110.png
1 MB, 847x723
efficient - achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense.

>>684731
>>the most efficient way to do this is dump the freeze dried food into a pot

WTF? you're actually saying that it would be more efficient to dirty up an additional pot rather than just letting it soak in the bag for an extended time? The bag that is designed for soaking and eating from...

Dude, once you get out of high school, you need to actually go out & do things rather than just reading about it online, and watching YouTube videos.

The most efficient way to extend hydration time is to slip the pouch into an insulated cozy to conserve the heat and just give the pouch a few extra minutes. I use a soft sided insulated lunch box for this purpose. It'll hold 3 Mountain House meals and keep them blistering hot for over 20 minutes (20 minutes is as long as I've tested it but the meals were still too hot to eat at that point) This past weekend I discovered that I could also slip a baggie of tortillas into the lunchbox with the hot pouches and use their heat to warm them up.
>>
>>685331
>dirty up an additional pot
No, just one, the one you cook the food in
>once you get out of high school
No need to get saucy. I've been eating freeze dried foods /out/ since I was 23, in 1990.
I've played with cozies in the past and tried just about every kind of freeze dried food. Still, what works best for me is to dump freeze dried food in a pot, presoak, boil and then let it sit, especially for things that are stubborn rehydrators at high altitudes. There are no corners in the pot where stuff can hide and not get hydrated like in bags. A pot is easier to eat out of, add other ingredients to, and spoon food out to share. I use the pot to cook non-freeze dried foods too as I’m not eating just freeze dried stuff for an entire trip
Since the bags are heavy, I repackage freeze dried foods into lighter Ziplocs. Then I don't have to carry a wet, dirty bag with me that smells like food and attracts critters for the rest of the trip.

What’s with the anger and name calling just because I don’t use the bags?
>>
>>685370
+1 for this, I also always bring a pot along. mainly for the same reasons. I also forage when I can, nothing beats fresh veggies after a week of FD food.
>>
File: sawyer.jpg (140 KB, 800x709) Image search: [Google]
sawyer.jpg
140 KB, 800x709
>>684949

There exists this thing called a Sawyer Mini, anon. It is like a lifestraw but you can screw a plastic bottle into either end, like an hourglass, and let gravity filter the water for you.
>>
>>685372
>I also forage when I can, nothing beats fresh veggies

That's called shopping, little boy
>>
>>685421
>That's called shopping, little boy
Yes, go shopping in the middle of nowhere, little girl.
>>
>>684512
where's the nostalgia? Don't you remember getting MRE's or freeze dried stuff ONLY when you go camping?
Doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy?
Even if it tasted like shit on a shingle or cardboard I would still eat them /out because, well,

memories

also bring a lot of non fd or mre stuff, rice and beans, minestrone & chorizo or linguicia, etc, etc
>>
>>685331
>once you get out of high school, you need to actually go out & do things
>>685421
>little boy
Projecting much?
>>
>>685431
>rice and beans,
That works well, but only if you can use as fuel. If you are restricted to gas or alcostove you gotta go FD
>>
>>685437
>If you are restricted to gas or alcostove you gotta go FD
I don't understand
Boil in bag rice works great, and so do dried precooked beans
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 362x440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 362x440
>>685372
Sock puppet
>>
>>685552
ya, but they taste like shit. If you got a fire going and got the time, better cook the real thing. It is cheaper and tastier.
I only go for dehydrated if I got to. And after two weeks of freeze dried foods you'd do a whole lot for a fresh orange.

>>685774
Sorry, but no, I just got the same setup for the same reasons. Also, I make my own diy ul meals, So eating from the bag is not an option for me.
>>
>>684512

you get your water from the /out/doors

you must carry water to drink, but i have never used my drinking water for cooking
that would be a lot of water

canned food is extremely heavy if you pack 3 days worth
>>
Mountain House is over priced as a city harlot. I refuse to pay more than 5 dollars for a pre-made meal.
>>
>>685777
>cooking whole beans /out/
At home, that takes hours
Do you soak them first?
>>
>>685804
> >$5/ea

As a man, don't meme harder than you shop.

Just advising you, son.
>>
>>685804
are you on smack? 5 bucks is a great deal. if you have a dehydrator you're only going to save like 50 cents in the end and you have to seal it yourself.
>>
>>685804
> is not grubs and bark
> lasts 10 yrs
> 5 oz/cup, add 2 cups water
> I can't afford.

Mk. Eat raman, it's cool.
>>
>>685370
>>dump freeze dried food in a pot, presoak, boil and then let it sit

Are you sure that you've EVER made freeze dried food?? I find it hard (impossible) to believe that this method is even doable. A single serving size Mountain House pouch takes 3/4 cup of water and when you stir it in, it gets extremely thick - there simply isn't enough free liquid to then bring to a boil. It's gonna just stick to the sides of the pot and scorch unless you add something like 2X the amount of water and then what you'll end up with is a soupy mess.

>since I was 23, in 1990
oh, so you were actually born in 2001 - ok, got it...
>>
>>684738
Me, too!

Last summer I went on a trip and forgot to pick up powerbait before I left. The spicy corn from my dehydrated soups still brought in fish.
>>
>>686030
>unless you add something like 2X the amount of water
Yes, a little more water and lots of stirring when cooking. It really depends on the food. Some only need a boil and soak, while others need a soak, boil, and soak
>a soupy mess
How do you know if you have never tried it? Freeze dried food will absorb more than the recommended amounts of water anyway. And a soupy mess is better than an indigestible crunchy one. If it's too soupy, I can throw some crackers or wasa bread in it.
>born in 2001
>math is hard

Why are you so angry and devolve into name calling because I don't use the bags? I'm not angry that you do.
>>
95% of the time I'm camping I'll pass a water source every day and usually camp by one, so no, you don't have to carry the extra water.

It's nice not having to do dishes or any prep besides boiling water.

Freeze dried stuff is great.
>>
>>685848
I take red or brown lentils, they are way faster. We did cook real beans, but that was at a large basecamp.
>>
I don't enjoy working there but freeze dried food has a lot of positives.
>>
>>686169
are you saying you work at mountin' house?
>>
>>684619
>they honestly taste good
>biscuits and gravy in pic
I have tried many MH meals. I have only been unable to stomach 2 kinds. Chicken and rice and biscuits and gravy.

Best IMHO is beef stroganoff followed closely by chilli mac.
>>
>>686481
>>beef stroganoff followed closely by chilli mac

I like both of those also but I think my favorite is using tortillas, grated cheese and Taco Bell sauce to make breakfast burritos from the "Breakfast Skillet" pouches. A one serving pouch will make 3 fat burritos which gives you almost 1000 calories when you include the tortillas, cheese & sauce.
>>
Because there delicious. There more expensive than your average meal though. So I keep them for when I need a pick me up.
>>
File: IMG_20160130_165843.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_165843.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
> so much shittalkin'

Pics or ...
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-11-19-37-06.png (5 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-11-19-37-06.png
5 MB, 1440x2560
>Prepper here
>>
>>684530
Boiling temp is lower at high altitude, meaning food doesn't rehydrate as much. Mostly because folks pour boiled water into the bag. If you carried a pot you could boil for longer
>>
>>684617
That is not how boiling works anon. Go back to 6th grade science class.
>>
>>684949
Boiling water purifier it. Why the fuck would you need to purify it before boiling. Jesus. N
Boiling is the go to if your filter and chemical purifiers fail. God damn this board sometimes. . .
>>
>>685848
Dehydrated or freeze dried you can buy at a CO op only take a few minutes and they usually come w a little seasoning
>>
>>686030
How do you think NOLS and Outward Bound cook over whisperlites you pretentious fuck?
>>
>>686733

Listen dildo breath, I don't give a damn what a bunch of college douchebags do with their Whisperlites, cuz we're not talking about cooking here, only about rehydrating a fucking Mountain House meal. And speaking of pretentiousness, you better look that word up you name dropping cunt because it doesn't mean what you think it does.

Since you're late to the party and generally don't know what the fuck you're bitching about, let's reiterate...

The pussy from this post >>684529 said that heating & eating from a Mountain House pouch "never works well at anything over 9000 ft" and that statement is flat out wrong. He then went on to say (paraphrasing multiple posts) that "the most efficient way to (prepare dehydrated food) is to "repackage freeze dried foods into Ziplocs" then "dump the freeze dried food into a pot" add "a little more water" "presoak, boil (with) lots of stirring and then let it sit".

So in his words, it's MORE EFFICIENT to:

1) repackage the meal
2) pour the meal into a pot
3) acquire twice as much water and add to the pot
4) let the meal soak
5) heat the meal to boiling while stirring the fuck out of it
6) let it sit
7) add some gay ass Euro-crispbread to absorb all the excess water
8) acquire more water to clean and scrub the burned stuck food from the pot

rather than to:

1) tear the top off the pouch
2) add boiling water
3) give the meal additional minutes to rehydrate

He can prepare his meals anyway he chooses, I couldn't care less, but his original assertion and subsequent statement is wrong and I'm not the only one that disagreed with his claims, EVERY other poster and link in this thread said that MH meals rehydrate just fine at altitude if simply given extra time.
>>
>>686789
>dildo breath
>pussy
What's it like being so angry about online posts?
Does it give you more energy to do stuff; or does it just make you unhappy?
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 500x368
>>686809
lol
>>
>>686789
> it's MORE EFFICIENT to:1) repackage the meal
Yes, carrying less weight is almost always better.
>acquire twice as much water and add to the pot
I never said 2X, but acquiring water is usually not a problem at altitude, acquiring oxygen is
>gay ass Euro-crispbread
Sorry to offend your sensitive palate. Extra calories and different textures are usually a gift for backpackers
>clean and scrub the burned stuck food from the pot
Again, how do you know if you have never tried it?
>couldn’t care less
>angry post after angry post
choose one
>EVERY other poster
That is incorrect. See
>>686733, >>686724, or >>685372
>MH meals rehydrate just fine
The thread was never just about MH meals. It was about freeze dried food in general. Is your brand loyalty what makes you so apoplectic?

It is more efficient to successfully rehydrate a meal, enjoy and customize its contents, and not carry extra weight of an empty dirty bag. However, if obsequience to the suggestions on the package is your thing, defend it with all the vitriol and bluster you can manage.
>>
>>686976
I apologize for not replying yesterday, I can sense how much you enjoy our little talks and I thank you for the point by point breakdown of my last post, it makes me feel sooo special...

Despite your attempts at obfuscation, the truth is that this whole "discussion" boils down to two careless comments you made:

1) "This never works well at anything over 9000 ft"

If only you'd said, "this can sometimes be problematic at anything over 9000 ft" or " this can be more difficult at anything over 9000 ft" then everyone would've been in agreement with you because, yes, freeze dried food takes longer to rehydrate at altitude. But no, you said, "never works well" which is WRONG. When I (among others) called you out on this obvious mistake, you compounded your error by stating:

2) the most efficient way to do this is dump the freeze dried food into a pot

The area where you are apparently having difficulty discerning your ass from the proverbial hole in the ground, is that you don't seem to know what "efficient" actually means. I posted the definition above but I guess considering how busy and obsessed you've been with all the presoaking, boiling, and stirring you've been doing, you must've overlooked it, so I'll post it again.

Efficient - achieving maximum productivity with minimum of wasted effort or expense.

Key phrase - minimum of wasted effort.

minimum of

minimum

mi-ni-mum

The "method" of rehydration that you outlined is the fuckin' epitome of wasted effort. Rebagging, pouring into pots, acquiring additional water, soaking, constant stirring, and cleaning food from pots is a complete and total waste IF ALL YOU ARE DOING IS REHYDRATING because all that is REQUIRED is additional time in the bag.
>>
>>686976
...and since we are now apparently dissecting posts:

>>clean and scrub the burned stuck food from the pot
>Again, how do you know if you have never tried it?

Bitch, when cooking in a pot, it gets dirty and must be cleaned - again, go ask your mom if you need clarification.

>>EVERY other poster
>That is incorrect. See
>>686733, >>686724, or >>685372

>>686733 - how in the hell can you say this idiot is supporting your position? How about NAMBLA cooking on Sterno??
>>686724 - nothing at all said about efficiency just repeating common knowledge about altitude and boiling temp.
>>685372 - see >>685774

>>MH meals rehydrate just fine
>The thread was never just about MH meals. It was about freeze dried food in general. Is your brand loyalty what makes you so apoplectic?

I have no brand loyalty, I was using MH as a generic term for freeze dried food much like the brand "Kleenex" is generic for facial tissues - dumbass.

>if obsequience to the suggestions on the package is your thing, defend it with all the vitriol and bluster you can manage.

Ha, nice attempt to confuse the issue. I'm not defending anything, just calling YOU out on your idiotic definition of efficiency.

>>couldn’t care less
>>angry post after angry post
>choose one

I do NOT give a fuck what you do or how you do it. You're still wrong though...

and

I am not angry - From the timing of your posts and the reference of wasa bread, I'm guessing that you're a Euro-cuck. The genetically hardwired inferiority complex and general effeminate nature of your species produces a passivity that would elicit pity if it weren't so laughable. I can see how my use of colorful language might shock and scare someone of such a genteel nature but hey that's just how MEN speak - you fucking pussy.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.