[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/ Looking for a tent which i can use this summer for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13
File: telt.jpg (23 KB, 559x269) Image search: [Google]
telt.jpg
23 KB, 559x269
Hey /out/

Looking for a tent which i can use this summer for some hiking trips with my gf and some with a couple of friends. A 2 person tent will do but i dont know any good tent brands since ive been using tarp or a friends tent.

The tent is gonna be used in Scandinavia and since ill be using it with my gf it needs to be light (my gf is less than 50kg and cant carry a lot so ill be carrying most of our gear, and i would like the tent not to be more than 3kg).

Price range is not that important but it would be cool if the tent could be bought in europe (or better Scandinavia).

thanks
>>
Idk how big you are but I'd probably go with a 3 person tent. I'm 6'2 so fitting into a 2 person tent with the gf wasn't the most comfortable
>>
>>678512
>>678516
Im 6 feet ~176 pounds and my gf is ~100 pounds and 5 feet 2.

But thanks I might pick a 3 person tent for the extra storage
>>
>>678512
Look into Hileberg (expensive but top notch), Bergans, Helly Hansen, Helsport (not expensive but awesome quality).
>>
Op, pretty sure I can help you, but it would be helpful to me if you posted a pic of your gf?

I just want to help...
>>
>>678516
seconded. always add +1. 4 man tent needed, buy a 5 man
>>
http://www.rei.com/product/868734/alps-mountaineering-meramac-3-tent-special-buy

Lots of great deals and products at rei outlet
>>
I have 6 or 7 tent s and my Alps Mountaieering Chaos 3 is my favorite two person tent!

It really is an awesome tent!
>>
File: IMG_0634.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0634.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>678512
I would highly recommend a 3 person tent. 2 person tents are pretty small, 3's are much more suited to two people in general. Who knows why companies do this, but its a pretty standard rule of thumb, like rating your sleeping bag 10 degrees higher than its listed at.

I have the Hilleberg Anjan 3 tent, and it just rocks. I've had it for about 2.5 years now, and I really like it. It is light, but not ultra light, easy and fast set up, very solid 3 season, extremely high quality materials. Very spacious inside, and I like the colors a lot.

It's also very adaptable, in that you can roll up the front and/or back canvas to get better airflow if its hot, or totally separate the inside mesh tent from the outside waterproof material.

It is a very expensive tent though. I could only afford it because I had an "in industry" deal.

But, it is not a stand alone tent, in that you need to be able to stake it down, or tie the ropes to rocks/trees to get it to stand upright. Unlike a 'normal' tent where they pop up and are only staked down for stability.
>>
Exped tents are also top tier.
>>
>>678520
For the love of god do not have children with that women; their genetic potential will be absolute shit and they will be manlets like me me for life.

>Tfw mom is 5'3"
>Tfw dad is 6'0
>tfw I'm 5'6"
>>
"Ideal" height difference between a man and a woman is 4.5 inches. A man should not ever date a woman more than 4.5 inches shorter than he is.
The taller the better but it carries a greater risk of wife dissatisfaction.
>>
>>679773

>5'6"

Sorry im not looking for advice from children :^)
>>
>>678544
Thanks i already checked out the the Hilleberg tents. They pretty dank. Ill look the rest of them up later

>>679024
>Alps Mountaieering Chaos

thanks ill look into that

>>679061
Ye ive decided to get a 3 man tent, 2 man tent might be to small when i camp with a friend and i dont wanna go full homo.

Ye again the hilleberg is really nice ty

>>679773
>>679869

Thanks but I dident choose my gf bc of her height. Her brother is 6'2'' tho so im pretty sure everything is gonna work out just fine, also shes a straight A student so hopefully our children will get her brain and not my rotten one
>>
Would thoroughly recommend the Tadpole 2 from North Face
It's not exactly spacious inside, perfect for with a gf or close friend. Light as you need at only 2kg. Rock solid, I've been in a storm where all but two tents collapsed. My Tadpole 2 and a friends MSR Hubba Hubba were the only ones left standing.

The Hubba Hubba is another solid option, I've heard great things about it from my friends who have them, and it looks really nice, great headroom internally.

Obviously these are both fairly pricey, but they'll never let you down. Beautiful tents.
>>
>>679773
my dad is 6' 3"
my mom is 5' 4"
i'm 6' 2"

sounds like a personal problem m8
>>
>>679773
>tfw mom is 5'2"
>tfw dad is 6'2"
>tfw I'm 6'1

wew lad
>>
>>679882
Where in Scandinavia are you friend? If you are from Norway you should check finn, there are some really nice deals to be found on tents and all equipment generaly.
>>
>>680225
Nah i wish. I'm from Denmark
>>
>>680252
Thats a shame, there is some very expensive stuff basicly unused going for cheap buck man.
>>
>>680261
Dahm, although when people from norway say something is cheap its probably normal price. You guys have too much money :^)
>>
>>681575
Not really, many things here are actually cheaper than elsewhere. For example I bought Lenovo ThinkPad e540 with touchscreen and 128gd ssd HD for å touch bellow 400 euros, like 5 months ago. And if you are not impulsive idiot you can find awesome deals on anything. Only thing thats dirty expensive here is housing and cars.
>>
Another recomendation on the Hillebergs, I have a Nammatj 2 and it is pretty roomy. You can use the vestibule for a fair bit of extra storage, and I think the jump from 2 to 3 isn't that weight-y. I have split it with a friend many times, and even cozied up with 3 in the winter. I am 5' 10" x 180lbs, and most of my friends are just a little bit smaller than I am to give a sense of scale.
>>
>>678512
Just posted this in a dif thread, hope it helps.

"My advice: Consider a 4-man tipi and bring a portable woodstove. You can pack both of these things only adding 7lbs to your kit. Take a look at this setup below; video is part of a play list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbDZQi9iy44&index=11&list=PL66_bYgZpf7J8UvcsY42kgw2Woa2CUa4S

The stove in that video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfW1CcLVESE

He has a newer video too with a different stove you can see too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y_PpN7SytU&index=3&list=PL66_bYgZpf7Krx9kf_olV9mdUaV-X-bU_"
>>
>>682896

stove is dope, but that guy is such a gear queer. nothing to do with survival.
>>
File: 1448148319451.jpg (132 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1448148319451.jpg
132 KB, 400x500
Thanks for all the responses guys.

>>678516
>>679061

Im gonna go for a 3 persons tent instead of the 2 persons since i then can share it with a friend or two aswell.

Im probably gonna get a Hillebergs since its a cool tunnel tent or ill get a equal tent of a different brand.

>>682896
The tipi is pretty fun but i never hike more than a day trip in the winter since there is only light for ~5-6 hours and im not gonna sit in the tent for 18 hours.
>>
Have $100 to drop on a tent.
I mean obviously I could spend a little bit more but I have a guaranteed 100 bucks that I will only be spending on a tent.
I live innadesert.
I want it to be 2-person
And I want it lightweight to mount on my backpack.
Any options?
I'd like to keep it $150 or less optimally
>>
>>679024
Does it pack small enough to fit in or on a backback?
>>
Whats difference between cheap 30$ no brand supermarket tent and a 70$ (which is also cheap) a alps or other brand tent?

Im asking cuz i have no brand market tent and im gonna do a thru hiking for 2 weeks (on spring) and idk if i should invest in a decent tent or my shitty one will carry me aroung.
>>
>>685809
Same difference between a made-in-china Swiss army knife replica and a Leatherman Wave.
Take China knife camping, maybe it won't break
Take the Leatherman camping, it won't break
Build quality and how something holds up to adverse conditions.
When you compare 2 Walmart tier tents, they're probably both garbage.
If this hobby is important to you and you want to have a good time, invest in your gear.
If you want to camp for the next 10 years, get one decent tent that will last 10 years.
If this tent is 250 bucks, it's cheaper in the long run than buying a new 70 buck tent every couple years.
Even if that 70 buck tent holds up longer you'll still probably have a better time with the better tent.
>>
Also another question, what different between camping tent and backpacking tent? Camping tents are larger or what? As i check packet sized between two of them there is not much difference.
>>
>>685814
You are absolutly right but problem is i dont have much cash right now (also i live in a shit country so 250 bucks means lots of money in where i live) and i dont know if a $30 walmart tent will carry me around on thru hiking.

So just asking if investing in Alps Meramac would be wiser then a no brand walmart tier. Thanks btw.
>>
>>685819
I don't know about that tent but it really would be rough to spend 70 bucks now and then 250 later.
I say fuck it and take the chance with what you have. Keep saving for a decent tent for down the road
>>
>>685821
>I say fuck it and take the chance with what you have

Yeap looks like thats what im gonna do cuz i have to pay another 70$ for shipping for a 60$ tent. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>679773
>tfw mom is like 5'5"
>dad was around 5'9"
>I'm 6'0"
>Lil bro is 6'2"

Yup, you're just a manlet
>>
>>685842

>environmental factors can't limit genetic potential
>anecdotes
>>
File: SeekOutsideTentAndStove.png (534 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SeekOutsideTentAndStove.png
534 KB, 600x600
https://store.seekoutside.com/cimarron-med-stove-bundle/
>>
ordered one of these bad boys. most of my backpacking is in summer/fall in the sierra, so it's pretty much just to keep the bugs off, hence the maximal mesh (but reviews are pretty high on its fly if i need it).
>>
>>688562
crap, forgot pic
>>
File: vango-soul_100-atlantic.jpg (125 KB, 1800x877) Image search: [Google]
vango-soul_100-atlantic.jpg
125 KB, 1800x877
Hey /out/ i have a question. How much should i spend on a tent if it's my first ever tent? I'm planning a 2 day hike and it will be my first time since i was a kid. Idk if i sould buy a mediocre one or invest in an expensive one. I don't have a lot of money.
Anyway wich of these 4 should i get?
This Vango soul 100 is more costly than the other 3.
>>
File: 2ts.png (1 MB, 1602x571) Image search: [Google]
2ts.png
1 MB, 1602x571
>>688848
These two are cheap.
easy camp meteor 200 and Gelert Pioneer 2
>>
File: salo 2.jpg (97 KB, 950x950) Image search: [Google]
salo 2.jpg
97 KB, 950x950
>>688854
And this SALO 2 looks pretty good. It's a little more expensive. Please help me.
>>
>>688848
other 3 incoming?

anyway, without seeing what you have my thought is buy something reasonably serviceably that will last until you become a gear queer and want to upgrade to something super serial. with some shopping around you can get a good tent for $110-160.

a couple other personal biases are free standing and 2 person are worth the weight premiums for the added versatility for a general use, couple-days-out tent.
>>
>>688854
>>688856
>>688861

sorry, was typing while you were. but everything i said stands. i'd scrap the first one out of hand. how much $, people, and lbs are the other three?
>>
>>688863
all of the other ones are for 2 people.
the easy camp is 35$ and 2.9kg
the gelert pioneer is same price 2.8kg
and the salo 2 is 34$, 3.5kg
Pretty cheap, but honestly i don't know anything about tents.
>>
>>688882
damn, those are super cheap.

salo's too heavy, gelert has unnecessarily complicated alcove, go with the camp (barring reviews that it's a leaky piece of shit that is a nightmare to set up). but be prepared to sweat your ass off inside if its ventilation is as shitty as it looks in the pic.

but if you think you'll keep using it, your budget allows it, and you have the time to search out a deal before your trip i'd suggest investing in a tent that you won't want to light on fire after half a season. "tolerable" is never a key adjective for equipment for a good camping trip.
>>
>>688896
I'll look for a better one. I really don't want to buy a shitty tent, because i'll be camping probably every weekend. Can you give me some good brands? I looked for the ones this anon pointed out
>>678544
but i didn't find anything. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>688915
what country are you in? what's your budget?

just to get you started in the $100-200 range if you're in the u.s. i have a marmot, my brother has a big agnes, alps mountaineering is okay, too, as are rei'stents.
>>
>>688921
Bulgaria/South east europe. 100$ max
>>
>>688931
hmm, that affects my suggestions since i have no idea what's available to you. hopefully some euro-anon is able to give you better suggestions.

but even if you end up with one of those cheaper tents it's not the end of the world. i started with a $25 tent. and as long as you haven't spent appreciable time in a better tent you won't know what you're missing. besides, 95% of the time you're in it you'll be asleep. have fun. :)
>>
>>688943
yeah i hope more anons start coming to help out. thank you man.
>>
>>688944
bump
>>
>>688915
>>688931
bump for my eastern-bloc tent bro
>>
File: IMG_20160130_144438.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_144438.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>685699
Easily straps under any pack. Can fit in larger packs.

Mind you it is not UL. But I do love it! Can take down tent body in rain under fly. Self standing, clip on foot print, two doors, two vestibules, hits all my marks but, +6#'s. After all 3 people, but I use for two and two dogs in vestibules.

You will have to verify stats on weight, but I'm close.

Just bought (today, mail order) a Ticla Teahouse 3 for car camping this summer, has not arrived yet. High hopes for very durable, open space.

Last tent is a Tarptent Scarp 2. Moderate happiness so far. Used once, I just got it last month. 4 season under 4#'s.
>>
>>690074
Btw, Tarptent Scarp 2 pic related.

Henry, the owner/designer of Tarptent, was kind enough to send me free of charge repmacement "grommet tabs", a small but crucial item, I lost inna snow.

Nice customer service, I admitted my culpability, none the less, free replacement!

>Now I need to sticker my Nalgene with Tarptent sticker! <jk>
>>
>>679002

Proud new sponsor of 4chan
>>
>>690266
You are an idiot if you're not checking REI Outlet on a daily basis!
>>
>>690317
I should probably do this...
I bought the REI membership because they promised me the amazing garage sales. Go to 1st one. 3 minutes after opening the checkout line is over 2 hours long and store is literally trashed. Can't move, can't find anything. Worst day ever! I think capacity was 2X legal occupancy.
>>
File: 51yAE44lSrL._SY355_.jpg (10 KB, 333x355) Image search: [Google]
51yAE44lSrL._SY355_.jpg
10 KB, 333x355
>>688848
i'm this anon. how's the vango beat 200? is it ok? i'm running out of time i'm going /out/ this weekend.
>>
File: 1370491235695.jpg (1 MB, 2500x1875) Image search: [Google]
1370491235695.jpg
1 MB, 2500x1875
I'm planning to go on my first camping trip ever (with friends) does it matter if I get a cheap <$150 tent? What are the implications of the price of the tent being low?

It's intended to be a one-time use, I don't mind if it degrades into rubble after 2 weeks of using it. But what is usually the side effect of a cheap tent?

Temperature will be about 20C by the way, it will be in northern Italian summer.
>>
>>690333
2.2 kg isn't too bad, though i'm dubious of the mfr's claim of "great ventilation". but if you're running out of time just pull the trigger on one. you can always upgrade down the road.

>>690327
fuck the garage sale for ever and ever. there is no discount in the world great enough for me to deal with that shitshow.

>>690338
is that the high or low? because if that's the coldest it's going to get at night you don't even need a tent unless you're worried about mosquitoes or rain.
>>
>>690488
>is that the high or low? because if that's the coldest it's going to get at night you don't even need a tent unless you're worried about mosquitoes or rain.
50% of our team will be female, so it's also a psychological thing ;)

It's the average, and I'm not sure about night actually.

Do expensive tents come with thermic isolated floors or what? What generally separates an expensive and a cheap tent?
>>
>>690528
no insulation in either case. more expensive tents will be lighter, better ventilated, better material, better sealed seams, more durable, stronger poles, better fly (usually a separate piece making it more versatile), less leaky, collect condensation less...
>>
File: 1401050726557.jpg (34 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1401050726557.jpg
34 KB, 640x360
>>690555
>less leaky
Surely if a tent is leaking I can return it....?
>>
>>690569
return policy isn't very helpful when you're 3 days deep in the woods relying on it to keep you and your gear dry from a surprise storm.
>>
Any opinions on vango halo 300?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.