[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
follow up thread to the one questioning heavy lines for bass
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: cetfesh.jpg (29 KB, 658x434) Image search: [Google]
cetfesh.jpg
29 KB, 658x434
follow up thread to the one questioning heavy lines for bass
i do want to get in to bass fishing, and im wondering if a combo ive got sitting around will work well for it
>line is 15 pound moni
>reel is abu garcia ambassadeur ambsx-5600
>rod is shimano FX C-70MB2

i got it for christmas (my family pooled together and got me one cool thing instead of 3 trinkets)
i live in NE ohio near akron, and the water im fishing most is mogadore reservoir, west branch, lake milton, the cuyahoga, and walborne reservoir (probably spelled things wrong and many of you may not have heard of them so here is the gist)
>range of water conditions from crazy murkey to nearly cristal clear
>gravel bottoms, sand bottoms, horrible muddy shit that i lost a boot in bottoms, and big rocks
>wide range of depths, some less than 15 feet, one dropping to 80 feet in the center
>plenty of brush piles, weeds, trees, rocks, etc

my three questions are: does this combo sound acceptable as a general rod (i have some spinning rods spooled 6, 8, and 10 pound test for finesse)
and what would be some good lures to get on a budget (50 bucks worth) that are pretty hard to fuck up using
and what if anything should i change about my set up
>picture unrelated, late summer channnel cat i got on liver
>>
Sure it'll do the job, but I'm more interested in the spinning rods that you have lying around. You don't need to use a baitcaster for bass, and the setup your family got you seems like it would be better for bait versus lure fishing for bass. If you could tell me the spinning rods and reels you have, maybe I can suggest some soft plastics for you.
>>
>>676964
my go-to is a 6'6'' uglystick rated for 8-17 pound test and a shakespere something or other (excursion i think) that has served me well (its a cheap reel but in the salt ive put 20 pound braid on this combo and caught flounder, blue fish, spanish makerel, and in fresh ive caught everything from a bluegill to a 37 inch pike on it)
>>
File: 50 dollar hooker.jpg (2 MB, 4288x3216) Image search: [Google]
50 dollar hooker.jpg
2 MB, 4288x3216
>>676964
>>676964
ive also got an 8'6'' rod with the same reel on it that i use for steelhead and crappie mostly, with 6 pound test on it, a light quantum affinity rod with a seina 1000fb and 8 pound braid that i like to work small lures with, a 7 foot ugly stik with a reel wos name escapes me, but its big (over 200 yd capacity of 20 lb, from back when i went through a phase of being paranoid of having my line totally stripped) an 8 foot medium heavy rod with 20 pound test on it that i mostly use for pike, i forget the rest of the specs other than 20 pound test line, and lastly a daiwa beefstik 10 foot with a daiwa opus 5000 bri that i use for catfishing
>the pic is the last combo
>>
>>676973
second-to-last* combo
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>676954
Just a heads up, with 15lb mono, it is going to be a bitch casting any lures 1/2oz or less. Have you thought of braid? You could run 20lb braid and it will be way easier to cast.

And as far as lures go for bass fishing, spinners and Rapalas like Husky Jerks are really easy to use. Mepps #3 and #4 of course.
>>
>>676984
I'm thinking of going to braid when I've got a little more money to spend, but for now I can cast well enough imo
>>
>>676987
Damn man, just look for a sale and grab a spool of power pro for $12.

If you were near me, I would spool it up for free
>>
>>676987
>>676989
To add, the braid is well worth the money because it lasts wayyy longer than mono. Within a year, mono is almost useless because UV rays make it really brittle and the memory gets bad where you start getting tangles. You can use braid for at lwast 5 years before you start to notice any priblems from age.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
BRAID
R
A
I
D

also, you can always post these questions in that fishing tackle thread.
>>
>>676989
12 bucks is a lot to a McDonald's worker (that's easily three days worth of food)>>676991
>>
File: 1452636630391.jpg (2 MB, 3250x4333) Image search: [Google]
1452636630391.jpg
2 MB, 3250x4333
>>676954
You're going to be just fine. This is the right season for a scented jerkbait or jig so your line won't be a problem when casting. Just hit the water on a slightly choppy day if you're going to go for something scented since that's what the fish rely on (+ Vibration) when they can't see so well. Worse visibility is also going to make your line less visible. This should get you some fish until you have enough money for braid and a flourocarbon leader
>>
>>676998
Nigga I will order you a roll of Power Pro. Seriously. Email me with a screen grab

GetSomeMemes at gmail
>>
>>677004
No thank you, that's quite alright
I can live with mono for a month just fine
>>
>>677007
>settle for mono for a month

If you do, seriously, don't run more than like 10lb or 12lb max if you are bass fishing. You will ba casting a 1/2oz lure like 15ft.
>>
>>677007
You fucked up turning down a free spool of line
>>
>>676984
Or yaknow 8 lb mono and still catch bass 12 lbs
>>
>>677004
Buy me a roll nigga, I need some light shit for my all around rod meaning might for trout and panfish
>>
Shouldn't fishing threads go on /k? Since you are taking another life your pole is no different from a killing gun weapon.
>>
>>677053
8lb mono is fine for bass and a good all around freshwater lake weight. But I would rather run 10-15lb braid. More strength, no shitty memory, no degredation from UV rays after a few months, and that 10lb braid will cast a 1/8oz lure way further than 8lb mono.

Either way, running anything close to 15lb or 20lb mono fishing for bass will be shitty. It will be so unmanageable for anything other than giant, heavy crankbaits. Only time I would ever really use mono heavier than 10lb for freshwater would be a dedicated catfish rod with at least a 1oz weight.
>>
>>677057
#1- I always release the fish I catch (alive) unless it is some horrible invaisive species like a bullseye snakehead

#2- /out/ is about hunting moreso than /k/. /k/ is about playing dress-up.

If there was any board fishing belonged on besides /out/, it would probably be /sp/. If we wrestled with the fish, maybe /asp/. I post fishing threads on /o/ sometimes.

>>677054
What are you running on the rod right now?
>>
>>677062
6-8 lb mono I would like to go lighter for trout, maybe 3-4 lb as a leader
>>
>>677084
I think Power Pro only goes down to 10lb. Or at least that is the lightest I have seen in stores. SpiderWire makes 6lb and 8lb braid and they carry it at Bass Pro. They also had 6lb and 8lb braid by Seaguar or P-Line, I forget which. 10lb braid is supposed to be equivalent to 4lb mono, but as far as casting compared to a decent brand of 4lb mono like Trilene, it seems a tiny but heavier.

A week or two ago I actually spooled up an ultralight combo I have with some 6lb SpiderWire. Supposed to be the same size as 1lb mono. I had 10lb on there before which was ok, but I wanted to be able to get some distance on <1/8oz lures. I have yet to try it out since I changed the line.

If you're running 6lb-8lb mono on it now, I would just try 10lb braid. You will notice a huge difference. I can cast Mepps #1, small Rapalas and crappie jigs decently with 10lb. If it will be mainly small lures, maybe go with the 8lb.
>>
>>677099
For trout mostly 1/16th jig heads panfish is a similar setup,
>>
>>677106
So you're using 6lb-8lb mono right now on 1/16oz jig heads? That must be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>677108
On 4 pound mono I can get reasonable distance out of a 1/32 and tiny floating rapalas
Nothing like what I get out of 10 pound braid but enough to get a fair share of fish
>>
>>677253
So you think you get a better cast out of 10lb braid than 4lb mono? It seems really close, but if it's good mono and like brand new before it gets fucked by memory, I feel like the 4lb mono casts a little bit better.

That's why I always go a little lighter. If I would run 8lb mono on a rod, I will do 15lb or 10lb braid so it will for sure cast better than the mono.
>>
>>677259
Brand new mono compares well but unless I'm respooling 2-3 times a year it starts to suck
When I ran 6 pound braid It felt like I could cast anything anywhere

Also I looked up the specs of my abu Garcia and it will hold 265 yards of 30 pound braid, to which I reply: holy Christ
>>
>>677261
I always found those estimates a bit high. The reel would be overflowing. Especially if you run a few yards of mono backing before you put the braid on.

If you run 30yds of mono backing, I bet a 150yd spool of 6lb braid will be more than enough.
>>
>>677267
150yds of 30lb braid, not 6lb. My bad.
>>
>>677269
Probably
I may go with 30 pound braid so I can make this set up pull quadruple duty
Bass, pike, catfish, and salt water
>>
>>677271
30lb isn't bad. I have 30lb Power Pro on a heavier 7' rod that I mostly use for catfish or live bait. I can still cast medium-large crankbaits or spinners with it just fine.
>>
just strung 2 of the reels
4# mono on the ultralight
6# mono on the light

Next up is 30# braid on a Battle II
Also found my 9' surf rod I forgot I had in the shed.

dammit, why does spring have to still be about 2 months away...
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 640x1136
>>677303
I feel ya. Waiting is horrible.

My dogs have been at the groomer all day. I dropped them off at like 10am, and was hoping it was only going to take a couple hours so I could go back out before sunset.

They still aren't done yet. I have to change my strategy now. I think I'm gonna grab some stink bait and throw out a rod or two with catfish as well as play around with some spinners and grubs on another rod. No baitcasting tho because I will just birdsnest it if I can't see where I'm casting.
>>
>>677305
I wonder if there are any Winter Flounder in the harbor or estuaries. it's gonna be mid 40's-50 the next couple days.
>>
>>677305
Holy Christ it's 70? That's shorts and t-shirt weather up here, 51 is the warmest it's getting this week in Ravenna, and it snowed last night
>>
>>677368
Yeah man that's why I don't live in IL anymore. I can't stand the winter. This weather is prime, high 50s and low 60s at night, mid 70s in the day. And in the summer it doesn't get stupid hot either. Mid to high 80s on the warmest days.
>>
>>677309
in late october my friend went to the shore in ri and did really well with fluke/flounder in the bays
>>
>>677371
Where do you live, it sounds amazing
>>
>>677395
South Florida. Everybody thinks it gets hot as balls in the summer, but it doesn't at all. I live close to the Atlantic, so there is always a cool ocean breeze during the day. The hottest days in August are like 88 and breezy.

I think the worst time is summer mornings when it is 78F, rained overnight, and the wind hasn't picked up so it is real humid. But by 10am the ocean breeze gets going and it is fine.
>>
>>677433
i might have to move to florida, in ohio it gets to -20 before wind chill in the winter, and one year it got to 107 during a foot ball practice in high school

how much would it cost to get a little shack for me to sleep in, and to hold my motorcycle and fishing gear do you think?
>>
>>677446
Idk man, depends where you live. I spent 23 years just outside Chicago. Fuck that nonsense. Housing here isn't particularly expensive. It's similar to the Chicago area. Insurance can be expensive though (home, car, etc.). But we also don't have a state income tax which is real nice compared to IL and "Crook County".
>>
>>677054
Fish shop next to house has bins of PP for $6 a roll. Lemme know what poundage you want. Most all of their stuff is moss green so you have to live with that.
>>
>>677468
Damn, that's decent. I woulda bought like half that bin if that were near me. Moss green is the only color worth getting anyway.

I think the only other colors for regular Power Pro are high-vis yellow, red, or white. I have red on one rod, and I always run a long flouro leader on it. And I thought about the white a few months ago, but I figured it would turn brown or green after a few weeks of fishing anyway.
>>
I just noticed OP finally emailed me for that free spool btw. I just realized that fucker holds 265yds of line, dammit. I was hoping I could get away with the $15 150yd spool. I'm gonna have to get him the 300yd spool now.

What do you guys think for OP's Ambassadeur and rod combo? Run the 30lb? Or send him a 20lb? 30lb braid isn't too bad, I can still cast 1/4oz lures off of it.
>>
>>677468
when i get my rod setup il drop a post, probably as low as possible
>>
>>677503
You're probably only gonna be able to go 10lb with Power Pro. Like I said, I don't think they go lower than 10lb. If they do, nobody sells it. I went Spider Wire for the 6lb.
>>
>>677503
I'd actually go for 8 pound spider wire, little stronger, a little easier to put a leader on, and still very thin
>>
>>677482
Why not split the difference and get him 25?
>>
>>677541
Idk if any companies even do those increments. It would be like trying to buy 9lb monofilament.

It's a pretty big reel, an Abu Ambassadeur. Looks like it is made for 30lb braid or 10lb-12lb mono. And 30lb braid definitely casts better than 12lb mono.

I'm still waiting for OP to respond. I need to know where to send it. I promised I wouldn't come to his house and rape and murder him.

>tfw you have half of /o/'s names and addresses from sending out free stickers
>>
>>677548
Liar you only promised not to murder me!
Lol
>>
>>677551
You got a name to ship it to? Or you want me to just put my name? I just don't want it to get refused. If you send jt to a fake name, make sure your family doesn't "return to sender" or whatever.

Just e-mail me and let me know.
>>
>>677553
Sent you some electronic mail
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 640x1136
>>677564
Added a Mepps #5 for getting those killer bass.

I hate odering little stuff off Bass Pro's website sometimes. Between tax and shipping, it's a waste. I probably could've gotten it for <$30 shipped off eBay, but I wanted to make sure you get the right stuff.
>>
>>677581
You sir are an amazing human being
>>
>>676954
OP, I sent you the email with all the shipping and tracking info from Bass Pro. Just want to make sure you got it in case that is some burner email you don't use much
>>
>>678432
I did get it, it's my email, and I'm still amazed by your generosity
>>
>>678917
Not Peps but pass it on with your own RAK
>>
>>678917
All good. Still ended up being more than I wanted to spend. I was hoping it would be like $20 and not $50. But whatever. Enjoy that Ambassadeur.
>>
>>678926
oh i definately will, and maybe sometime i can get something scraped together and pay you back somehow or another
>>
>>678992
Don't worry about it. Just remember, not all tripfags are shitty all the time. Just most of them, most of the time.
>>
>>679296
Honestly I chalk this up to "fishermen and bikers are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet" because the vast majority of strangers who help me are either one, the other, or both.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>679383
I do own a bitchin' scooter. And a BMX bicycle.
>>
>>679430
Please tell me you wear pic related when you cruise around on that.
>>
>>679433
Nah, I don't think I own anything that sweet anymore.

Back in high school, my friends and I used to wear stuff like that. We had to wear uniforms, but if you wore a shirt and tie instead of the uniform polo shirt, the deans would leave you alone.

So every Friday there was a football game, the jocks would wear a shirt and tie. Their knots were pathetic btw. So we started dressing up in sport coats and stuff to mock them. I used to have a closet full of the most bad-ass 1980s sport coats from Good Will. Just picture Anchorman but with a worse mustache. Beige jackets with orange and blue flannel pattern, powder blue, maroon red. It was ridiculous.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 640x1136
U get it OP?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.